WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Watch guys?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Was getting a new battery for my watch in Brea, CA. and asked if they had any Rolex's. He had 2. I liked this one. 14k.

Rolex.jpg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Was getting a new battery for my watch in Brea, CA. and asked if they had any Rolex's. He had 2. I liked this one. 14k.

View attachment 1325633
I like the bluesy, I think that will be a prior couple of generations to the current though. Not a maxi case and not the current one judging by the lugs, so I would guess the 16613LB. Bob's in Newport has two listed in good condition ,12.5k and 13.k. Again, no expert on vintage rolex at all. A new version of that would be my second overall pick from the Rolex catalog, beautiful icon.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I like the bluesy, I think that will be a prior couple of generations to the current though. Not a maxi case and not the current one judging by the lugs, so I would guess the 16613LB. Bob's in Newport has two listed in good condition ,12.5k and 13.k. Again, no expert on vintage rolex at all. A new version of that would be my second overall pick from the Rolex catalog, beautiful icon.
I don’t know anything about Rolex’s except I like the look. He said when they get a stainless sub which I really like they are gone in a week. He said he would check with his guy to see if they had any. He asked me if I wanted a 90s or 2000’s watch. I figured they would be newer than that. 🤷.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Rolex’s except I like the look. He said when they get a stainless sub which I really like they are gone in a week. He said he would check with his guy to see if they had any. He asked me if I wanted a 90s or 2000’s watch. I figured they would be newer than that. 🤷.
The market is rapidly cooling off, but prices are still inflated on the stainless models, give it another 6-12 months and you should be able to find some good deals. A lot of the current used inventory was bought at covid pricing and the dealers are holding out trying to recoup their investment.

Price is widely dependent on what model you want. The “sport” models (think Submariner, GMT, etc) hold value much better than a basic Oyster Perpetual or Datejust.

I see a lot more people posting online that they are getting “the call” from their AD after waiting months or even years depending on model, this will trickle down to the used market eventually.

I wouldn’t expect prices to drop 50%, but I would expect used models to finally drop below MSRP of new models.

PM (precious metal) models are available and already started to soften, with a few exceptions.

If/when you get serious, post what you’re looking at on here, and we have enough knowledgeable members to let you know if you are getting a deal or should pass.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

If I was making the plunge, I would go for much newer than that, the bracelets of Rolex SS sports watches are not what you would expect in those decades, I think you would be disappointed for the money. I personally would only want the new new if I am paying over 10k for submariner.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
If I was making the plunge, I would go for much newer than that, the bracelets of Rolex SS sports watches are not what you would expect in those decades, I think you would be disappointed for the money. I personally would only want the new new if I am paying over 10k for submariner.
Ok thanks for the advice. What years should I be looking for?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. What years should I be looking for?
That is all going to be preference. The older bracelets are “looser” than the newer ones, some people don’t like that, and the older subs are typically a little smaller in size. Some people prefer the older watches, and some prefer the newer ones. There are also some differences in bezels. Depending on model, some years will have different colors or dials available. Some models are available in different sizes.

I would decide what your top of budget is, and then you can narrow down by model(s) once you have a budget.

Are you looking for an everyday wear, or a couple times a week/ special occasion watch? Are you going to worry about scratches and wear, or are you looking for a tank that can take a beating? Are you buying a Rolex because it’s a Rolex (nothing wrong with that), or are you open to other brands? Maybe there’s a model you’ve seen somewhere that you’ve always wanted? Maybe you don’t care and just want a cool watch? A lot to unwrap here, lol.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
That is all going to be preference. The older bracelets are “looser” than the newer ones, some people don’t like that, and the older subs are typically a little smaller in size. Some people prefer the older watches, and some prefer the newer ones. There are also some differences in bezels. Depending on model, some years will have different colors or dials available. Some models are available in different sizes.

I would decide what your top of budget is, and then you can narrow down by model(s) once you have a budget.

Are you looking for an everyday wear, or a couple times a week/ special occasion watch? Are you going to worry about scratches and wear, or are you looking for a tank that can take a beating? Are you buying a Rolex because it’s a Rolex (nothing wrong with that), or are you open to other brands? Maybe there’s a model you’ve seen somewhere that you’ve always wanted? Maybe you don’t care and just want a cool watch? A lot to unwrap here, lol.
Man, you said a mouthful.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Do you have bad eyesight to need the coke bottle glass on the date window?:p Never liked that option on Rolex. Rest of the watch is nice.

Yeah I decided I liked the thinner watch without the date when I got my sub.

The cyclops is there to make up for the tiny date wheel. Some designs use a two wheeled date system which lets them use larger font sizes.

On the Sub the date is considered an upgrade, but the complication adds like 2mm to the thickness overall and 3-4 on the cyclops part itself.
Enough to be annoying when wearing a cuffed shirt.

Last edited:

clarence

Reaction score
Helped to realize that with it I'd not need the CK859.

(With the CK859, I'd still want the chronoscope.)

traquer

Reaction score
(Some) people talk crap on Rolex, but they're just ill-informed. Rolex is the Porsche of the watch world. Always badass, always in style, always high quality.

If you didn't know, Rolex invented the first water-proof wristwatch, as well as the automatic "perpetual" movement which every watch has now, a magnetic-resistant watch, a super cold weather watch, etc. etc. All kinds of crazy history. And they make everything inhouse unlike most others in the same price range that buy from suppliers.

Omega went to the moon which is awesome, but that's about it. And that's coming from an Omega owner who currently doesn't own a Rolex..

spectras only

Reaction score
(Some) people talk crap on Rolex, but they're just ill-informed. Rolex is the Porsche of the watch world. Always badass, always in style, always high quality.

If you didn't know, Rolex invented the first water-proof wristwatch, as well as the automatic "perpetual" movement which every watch has now, a magnetic-resistant watch, a super cold weather watch, etc. etc. All kinds of crazy history. And they make everything inhouse unlike most others in the same price range that buy from suppliers.

Omega went to the moon which is awesome, but that's about it. And that's coming from an Omega owner who currently doesn't own a Rolex..
Too bad, Eterna invented the ball bearing rotor first, so Rolex could have smooth winding operation.:p
Here's my two Eternas, the automatic, Kon Tiki diver and the gold ultra thin Quartz Seville dress watch
The daily use is the Seiko automatic diver.

Attachments

• 20240201_001101 - Copy.jpg
    20240201_001101 - Copy.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240201_001202.jpg
    20240201_001202.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240201_005021.jpg
    20240201_005021.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
Too bad, Eterna invented the ball bearing rotor first, so Rolex could have smooth winding operation.:p
Here's my two Eternas, the automatic, Kon Tiki diver and the gold ultra thin Quartz Seville dress watch
The daily use is the Seiko automatic diver.
Those are some nice looking watches! I'm in love with that first one!

spectras only

Reaction score
Those are some nice looking watches! I'm in love with that first one!
What I like about the Eterna Kon Tiki is its luminecent dial. The whole dial is lit up unlike normal watches with only the hands and dots.numbers are lit.
ps; what I like about my Kon Tiki, it's the tribute to the 1947 Kon Tiki expedition that happened to be the year I was born.;)

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
What I like about the Eterna Kon Tiki is its luminecent dial. The whole dial is lit up unlike normal watches with only the hands and dots.numbers are lit.
ps; what I like about my Kon Tiki, it's the tribute to the 1947 Kon Tiki expedition that happened to be the year I was born.;)
What was Moses really like?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Maybe 3 years ago I put my name on the list for a Rolex Submariner Date and the dream GMT Pepsi at both Laguna Beach and Costa Mesa dealers.
Well I got tired of waiting.
Screenshot_20240204_184526_Instagram.jpg

I bought it 100% as a joke expecting to wear it once or twice but I'm actually wearing it often. Hell no it isn't nice. It is not even as comfortable as my cheap Citizen Eco-Drive but it keeps accurate time and I find myself laughing when I forget what I'm wearing.

Last edited:

clarence

Reaction score
That's great.

I'd order a Hulk if the color was a little better to fuck with my Hulk-owning buddy.

Might have to get the Daytona.

1707104842652.png

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

First, I do think Rolex is bad ass, however, their "firsts" weren't firsts. They were the first to brand and patent things. They weren't the first waterproof watch, they weren't the first dive watch, they just were right there and capitalized it. Since buying the movement manufacturer, they are pretty much all in house, except for the hands these days, It think that is about it. I am a self professed Omega fan boy, but they have certainly done more than just go to the moon. Different strokes for different folks, but the price difference between Omega and Rolex is not for any substantial difference in quality, it can be argued the other way round, and the other way round again for eternity, but definitely the perceived value from branding, and the secondary market value clearly has everyone valuing Rolex higher. Ask 100 people on the street to name a luxury watch, all would say Rolex first, if you press for a second answer, maybe 10 people might say Omega/Cartier/something silly. Gen z and hip hop fans might say AP/Patek, but not one of my friends have ever heard of them.

Buy what you like, and in a fair world, Rolex would sell me a GMT-Master II or any sport watch, but demand vastly out stretches supply, even though Rolex makes over 1 million units a year, far more than the likes of Omega. Longines makes the most, Rolex makes 2nd most by volume, 1st several times over by sales and revenue.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I’ve seen some pretty cool wristwatches that were made from old pocket watches 👍

Cool history behind the Elgin brand

Vortic is currently taking military issue vintage pocket watches and converting them to wrist watches. They are beyond bad ass, old Hamilton's mainly I think. Too expensive for me for what they are, but I will stare and admire.

VORTIC-2023MILITARYEDITION-14122.jpg

clarence

Reaction score
1. Rolex Is The Best (New Guy Version.) The fact that Rolex designs evolve so slowly has done something very important --it's ensured that if you have one on, a disproportionate number of people are going to know you are wearing (a) a Rolex and (b) an expensive watch.

The upside is that it can and does say you're a person of means (there is nothing wrong, per se, with conspicuous consumption if that's what you know you want) but the downside is that a certain percentage of observers will conclude, rightly or wrongly, that advertising your affluence is the only (or at least the main) reason you bought the watch.

You may have bought a Rolex simply because you've decided you like watches, and you've heard Rolex is a good watch --unfortunately, that's not going to stop some people from assuming you had more ignoble motives. Sooner or later, though, the new owner may wonder why so many self-styled watch experts are sneering, which leads to ...

Rolex Is For Suckers (New Connoisseur Version.) This stage of appreciation -- well, of recognition, anyway -- is usually the result of one's first exposure to the enormous range of other luxury watch brands, and the onset of suspicion that what you get when you buy a Rolex is an overpriced, uninteresting watch from a company that is too lazy to update its own designs, too rich to risk change, and is generally happiest resting on its generously proportioned laurels.

This stage is often marked by a discovery of, and fascination with, the vocabulary of hand-finishing of movements, largely absent in Rolexes; one swoons to the alluring exoticism of côtes de Genève, anglage, oeil-de-perdrix, and the whole rich world of finissage.

The awareness that Rolex, rightly or wrongly, is associated with a certain kind of person in many minds --generally male, American, McMansion-owning, loud, golf-obsessed, sartorially challenged and gastronomically undiscriminating, and fond of unnecessarily large and inefficient automobiles --merely serves to confirm the prejudice that unless one wants to be taken for an illbred, reactionary lout, Rolex and all it stands for is best avoided.

This stage can persist indefinitely, potentially, but if one continues to inquire one may arrive at ...

Rolexes Are Actually Pretty Good Watches (Grizzled Veteran Version.) There are several paths that can lead to this stage.

One observes bemusedly that it is, oddly enough, one's Rolex --usually in the context of being worn when you don't want to wear one of your "good" watches --that seems to keep time best. One observes bemusedly that it is, oddly enough, one's Rolex that seems to be the most free of irritating and expensive prima donna temperamental behavior.

One finds, bemusedly, that it is --quelle surprise --one's Rolex which seems to be migrating more and more frequently onto one's wrist, like a faithful Jeeves tolerant as the years go by of the mad whims and fads of its master.

And one discovers that what one thought was lack of personality was merely a refusal on the part of the watch to impose one on you --its very simplicity is what lets it become, as it develops its palimpsest of scratches, marks, and nicks through the slings and arrows of daily use,
your watch, and not a brand billboard.

Not everyone gets to this stage, of course --Rolex is not for everyone, first of all --
de gustibus non est disputandum [there is no disputing about tastes] -- and many want a watch that is rarer, or the subject of more hand-finishing, or any number of things that a Rolex is not.

But a surprising number of watch veterans reach Stage 3 in the fullness of time, and find in Rolex a watch that rather refreshingly seems to have been designed to not "emphasize the heritage and integrity of the brand's DNA" (as one particularly awful press release I've recently read put it; using "brand DNA" in what's supposed to be a consumer oriented press release should be a hanging offense) but rather, to be a good watch.

Yeah, yeah. Recognizing Rolexes as good watches won't make the prejudice go away.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Any one else insure their watches? Most of us have a homeowners policy that would likely cover theft, but not loss or damage. I recently paid for a policy under Hodinkee after researching some of the available policies available. Not the cheapest, but the zero deductible and coverage for theft, loss (like you lost it), and damage seems worth it. The reviews were also positive.

Tank

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Can’t tell, MOP? What year is that from?
Yep. Mother of pearl face, had the diamond Bezzle put on. I believe it’s a 2013 if I recall right.

Reactions: SJP

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Vortic is currently taking military issue vintage pocket watches and converting them to wrist watches. They are beyond bad ass, old Hamilton's mainly I think. Too expensive for me for what they are, but I will stare and admire.

VORTIC-2023MILITARYEDITION-14122.jpg

I was looking at these watches at Barrett Jackson. They are very cool. Some were as cheap as $1800

clarence

Reaction score
Any one else insure their watches? Most of us have a homeowners policy that would likely cover theft, but not loss or damage. I recently paid for a policy under Hodinkee after researching some of the available policies available. Not the cheapest, but the zero deductible and coverage for theft, loss (like you lost it), and damage seems worth it. The reviews were also positive.

My GEICO homeowner's won't cover theft, and proving ownership and condition of the watches was too much hassle for me.

I'll look at Hodinkee.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
My GEICO homeowner's won't cover theft, and proving ownership and condition of the watches was too much hassle for me.

I'll look at Hodinkee.
Took 30 minutes to get about 20k coverage on 3 watches. One picture of each watch. 297.00/year.

clarence

Reaction score
Took 30 minutes to get about 20k coverage on 3 watches. One picture of each watch. 297.00/year.

I'd be looking at ~$750/year, I'm guessing? That starts to add up.

Seems like should only pay to insure your (single) most expensive watch - I only wear one out at a time.

Fabhouse

Reaction score

Seems like should only pay to insure your (single) most expensive watch - I only wear one out at a time.
I wonder how it would scale for you, my classic car policies are cheap to add another vehicle to-I can only drive one at a time.
I'd be interested to see what yours comes out at.

McKay

Reaction score

Was thinking the same. Point and a half a year. Ouch!

clarence

Reaction score
Fairly enough, they're insuring against burglary where the entire collection would be at risk.

But I'm 28 floors up in a condo with entry and elevators requiring a fob, a doorman, and security.

I'm not worried about that.

Only worried about being jumped when out drinking.

I'll go ahead and see what they'll charge me, but seems unlikely worth it.

traquer

Reaction score
I insured my Omega, $10 a month I believe? It was an add-on rider with statefarm.

I did it back when I was traveling a lot for business, but still have the coverage today. I did it not because the watch was that expensive, but because I wanted to see what the process was like for my next watch. Thankfully I talked myself out of that $30k watch. No need for that yet at this stage in life for me