WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vinyl flooring in AZ summer heat.

ChrisV

Reaction score
As some of you know me, I'm a big DIY guy.

Looking to remove carpet and replace it with vinyl flooring. There was a thread on this topic but I can't seem to find it. Heard horror stories about warpage during the summer so really trying to avoid that. Never dealt with house stuff in AZ heat before. Lot's of smart people on this forum so figured I ask here or go be poor somewhere else.

-What thickness is preferred?
-does it need the foam mat beneath?
-Brand to stay away from or preferred?

Thanks.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have vinyl plank in my river mobile. Year 4 no warping knock on wood. I use Bel Air flooring as I have a account there. I have not made it back there yet but this next week I need to. He told me which one not to use the core material is the issue. Lately I have only been installing 8mm. Now they are going back to 12mm waterproof laminate as there have been so many issues with the vinyl. Sub Floor has to be dead nuts flat or over time it contours. I have 2 issues in my house where my guys floated between rooms. Not bad but I can see it. It would of been no problem with laminate.

Lots of my River neighbors floors are shot after 2 years. Majority were lifeproof and lowes brand bought from HD and lowes in Havasu. Buckling like crazy.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I have vinyl plank in my river mobile. Year 4 no warping knock on wood. I use Bel Air flooring as I have a account there. I have not made it back there yet but this next week I need to. He told me which one not to use the core material is the issue. Lately I have only been installing 8mm. Now they are going back to 12mm waterproof laminate as there have been so many issues with the vinyl. Sub Floor has to be dead nuts flat or over time it contours. I have 2 issues in my house where my guys floated between rooms. Not bad but I can see it. It would of been no problem with laminate.

Lots of my River neighbors floors are shot after 2 years. Majority were lifeproof and lowes brand bought from HD and lowes in Havasu. Buckling like crazy.
2 years is not what I want to hear. Maybe there’s a reason why I see carpet more often at river house.

NicPaus

Reaction score
2 years is not what I want to hear. Maybe there’s a reason why I see carpet more often at river house.
The flooring place in Parker recommends linoleum.

My place gets to 120 inside when I am not there. The vinyl is not recommended for over 90.

I need to change out the kitchen and floors in main area. Undecided on what I will use. My next door neighbor was putting in lifeproof 7mm last weekend to match what my friend installed in other areas. Few spots in kitchen they already had to use brad nails to keep it from lifting.

ChrisV

Reaction score
The flooring place in Parker recommends linoleum.

My place gets to 120 inside when I am not there. The vinyl is not recommended for over 90.

I need to change out the kitchen and floors in main area. Undecided on what I will use. My next door neighbor was putting in lifeproof 7mm last weekend to match what my friend installed in other areas. Few spots in kitchen they already had to use brad nails to keep it from lifting.
Yeah I’m definitely not leaving the Ac on during the summer when im not there. So there’s no vinyl will work with high heat? Seems like a big gamble.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yeah I’m definitely not leaving the Ac on during the summer when im not there. So there’s no vinyl will work with high heat? Seems like a big gamble.
I will ask this next week what they will warranty in the heat. And let you know what he says. I will use either the 8mm vinyl or 12mm waterproof laminate when I get to it.

Reactions: mjc

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I'm on year 5 with cheap vinyl plank in a doublewide in Golden Shores. I keep the ac set at 90 when we're not there. Three months after I did it, go out and my main breaker took a dump. Floor looked like the dunes, and fridge smelled like death! Strapped the fridge and pulled it out that night. Slept outside in the boat and aired out the house. Next morning got a breaker, and by 4pm the temp was back down to 85 or so. The floor settled, and left a few gaps at the hall transition to living room, bit has been flat since.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I will ask this next week what they will warranty in the heat. And let you know what he says. I will use either the 8mm vinyl or 12mm waterproof laminate when I get to it.
Please lmk!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had a customer who provided us the LVP. It was cheap stuff from Lowes. This in San Diego. Not in the heat at all, but we laid it like normal and it was not exactly warm out. The sun shone in through one window and illuminated a square of the flooring in sunlight.

Just that section warmed up...and expanded. She wasn't very happy with the odd lump in the floor. Not an installation problem, it was a cheap ass flooring problem.

I would assume a thicker floor with plenty of room for expansion around the perimeter would be the way to go. You may need joints and threshold at doorways to avoid too large of a mass.

It would really behoove you to have a company rep come out and be involved. Your local supplier should be able to arrange this for you.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
LVP is supposed to be a “floating floor”. Leave enough gap around the perimeter that you can cover with baseboard and that should allow enough room for expansion.

I do the thin foam core below it just to provide some small amount of insulation between the subfloor plywood and the LVP.

Also I can’t believe some of you guys don’t run any AC at all over summer when not there. I don’t know how the fridge survives. We always set our AC to 90.

ChrisV

Reaction score
LVP is supposed to be a “floating floor”. Leave enough gap around the perimeter that you can cover with baseboard and that should allow enough room for expansion.

I do the thin foam core below it just to provide some small amount of insulation between the subfloor plywood and the LVP.

Also I can’t believe some of you guys don’t run any AC at all over summer when not there. I don’t know how the fridge survives. We always set our AC to 90.
My friends place we would turn off all the breakers but the fridge. Never had problems.

I’ll try the 90 thing and pray the best for the floors.

So

-thick vinyl
-foam core
-gaps around the boarders
-spray holy water everywhere

🤘🏻

DLC

Reaction score
We leave our ac at 90 during summer, if you don’t leave AC on cabinets and furniture etc - the inside items can potentially dry out and warp/ de lam / un glue

plus going from 90 to 75 is way easier on the AC unit when you go out.

we just installed a life proof LVP - floor and decor 22 mil wear laid over a 2 mil rubber pad

so far it’s great! We have the rubber pad at the other house in Escondido and it feels good, softens the floor on your foot and doesn’t sound like a cave - hallow

leave a gap & capture the door areas - we used a U channel for glass CR Lawrence, got a bronze, white and aluminum tone for different areas looks great very happy!

IMG_9537.jpeg

NicPaus

Reaction score
There is no foam core. Majority now come with foam already attached to the bottom of it. Instead of using rolls of foam underlayment .

The difference in cores is LVP, SPC and WPC.
Vinyl core, stone plastic core and wood plastic core. If I recall correctly he said not to use WPC. Use SPC for my River pad. The core doesn't expand as much.

As far as install.

Make sure sub floor is as flat as possible.

Leave the biggest gap possible around all edges. 1/2" baseboard Leave 3/8 gap for expansion. 5/8 baseboard Leave a half inch.

If on concrete slab put 4 mil plastic down first.

Close blinds when not there so sun doesn't hit a section of it. Or use a area or entry rug next to sliding glass doors so no direct hot sun light hitting it.

I have to go pick up a order Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday. If you want to meet me there in downtown LA I can get it for you for my cost. Baseboard is 1/3 the price there also but you will need a rack on truck to haul. 16'.

ChrisV

Reaction score
There is no foam core. Majority now come with foam already attached to the bottom of it. Instead of using rolls of foam underlayment .

Vinyl core, stone plastic core and wood plastic core. If I recall correctly he said not to use WPC. Use SPC for my River pad. The core doesn't expand as much.

As far as install.

Leave the biggest gap possible around all edges. 1/2" baseboard Leave 3/8 gap for expansion. 5/8 baseboard Leave a half inch.

Close blinds when not there so sun doesn't hit a section of it. Or use a area or entry rug next to sliding glass doors so no direct hot sun light hitting it.

I have to go pick up a order Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday. If you want to meet me there in downtown LA I can get it for you for my cost. Baseboard is 1/3 the price there also but you will need a rack on truck to haul. 16'.

I'll definitely hit you up for more info when the time comes. Just trying to come up with a game plan first.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Reaction score

As far as install.

I have to go pick up an order Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday. If you want to meet me there in downtown LA I can get it for you for my cost. Baseboard is 1/3 the price there also but you will need a rack on truck to haul. 16'.
Finally got the keys. Where’s the best place to buy vinyl flooring? What about dudes that will install it also in Parker?

Sharky

Reaction score
Following. . . .

Originally had vinyl (1960's). it was covered by carpet. . . in the kitchen.

Carpet in the kitchen is horrible!!!!! Don't ever put carpet in a kitchen!!

It got torn out. Thought about hard-wood. . .nope. Looking at going back to the newer styles of vinyl/ LVP.

Tile is out. Don't want grout lines. . . or grout. Not in a kitchen.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Following. . . .

Originally had vinyl (1960's). it was covered by carpet. . . in the kitchen.

Carpet in the kitchen is horrible!!!!! Don't ever put carpet in a kitchen!!

It got torn out. Thought about hard-wood. . .nope. Looking at going back to the newer styles of vinyl/ LVP.

Tile is out. Don't want grout lines. . . or grout. Not in a kitchen.
Yeah definitely no carpet. Want this to be quick and easy.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Finally got the keys. Where’s the best place to buy vinyl flooring? What about dudes that will install it also in Parker?
In Parker not sure of a good installer. My river neighbor is ready also if you find someone. I have to pick up orders this week for flooring. I will pm you my number and can get you it on my account.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
So this new product we saw at Oasis flooring in LHC…. Thinking of this stuff, sales girl had lots of good things to say. Not much on the internet about it.

Anyone know anything about it ?

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22

badgas

Reaction score

We installed this in Havasu 3 1/2 years ago, So far so good. We do leave the AC at 90/95v when not in use.

Was less than lifeproof shipped Havasu and seemed better from a quality standpoint. The house is a STR and the floor is holding up great to being used.
1255.jpeg
1269.jpeg
1258.jpeg

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Does it have to be vinyl flooring?

I’ve had good luck with laminate flooring both in Havasu and the RV. Easy to install and holding up well to the dogs.

From Google....

Neither vinyl nor laminate flooring is particularly heat resistant. Vinyl flooring won't shrink or expand as drastically as laminate in extreme temperature fluctuations, but both materials somewhat tie in heat resistance since damage can be done to both under similar circumstances.

Do you keep your AC below 90 when not home?

zhandfull

Reaction score
From Google....

Neither vinyl nor laminate flooring is particularly heat resistant. Vinyl flooring won't shrink or expand as drastically as laminate in extreme temperature fluctuations, but both materials somewhat tie in heat resistance since damage can be done to both under similar circumstances.

Do you keep your AC below 90 when not home?

Not baller enough to keep AC on while I’m gone. 😁

Do have 1/4 gaps under baseboard and window covering closed while gone.

Never experienced any bucking like mentioned with vinyl. My biggest concern for the laminate is liquid spills, although flooring is supposed to be water resistance. 🤷‍♂️

ChrisV

Reaction score
Need flooring installer in Parker. Any recommendations? Thanks guys

boatnam2

Reaction score
Is this on the cali side of river where your place is?

NicPaus

Reaction score
@NicPaus might be able to get guys out there for you
I wish. My place needs to be done also.

My Buddy found a guy out of Havasu. But he was kinda flaky. Our old park manager installed A lot of the life proof in numerous mobiles. He disappeared when they started bucking and curling when summer hit.

hallett21

Reaction score

My Buddy found a guy out of Havasu. But he was kinda flaky. Our old park manager installed A lot of the life proof in numerous mobiles. He disappeared when they started bucking and curling when summer hit.
The GC who did our casita gets shit done. But he’s not cheap. I think he’d send guys to Parker.

ChrisV

Reaction score

Feel like this is common.

samsah33

Reaction score
Following, need some floors as well, was considering vinyl laminate or hardwood but more worried about the wear & tear with sand and dust, any thoughts on the wear factor? We're not clean floor people... This is thanks to my new indoor swimming pool that I walked into last weekend...

NicPaus

Reaction score
Feel like this is common.
100%

I have seen so many people get fucked it's crazy. I have had to do all my own work. Can't get my Guys to want to go out and help me. Now I am just buried in jobs and who knows when I will get my kitchen done. Half my mobile I did the floors 4 years ago in vinyl. The other half and kitchen has been on my to do list for 7 or 8 years. I have made a cabinet list at least 5 times. I have all the appliances new in box. But no time.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Does Home Depot offer this service? Need this done so I can start on the garage. 🫠

NicPaus

Reaction score
I would call a few flooring places in Havasu and ask. Parker nobody wants to work. I know the local handyman in our park. Good friend with 1 for over 10 years. Would never recommend him though. Or any of the ones I have seen do work in our park.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I would call a few flooring places in Havasu and ask. Parker nobody wants to work. I know the local handyman in our park. Good friend with 1 for over 10 years. Would never recommend him though. Or any of the ones I have seen do work in our park.
Just called Oasis in havasu. Lets see what they say. Thanks dude.

lf2

Reaction score
We have the same problem up at havasu landing i wouldnt trust any of the local guys to do anything on any of my stuff.
Our neighbors feel the same and were able to talk me into doing there floor for them back in april.
Waterproof laminate.
CDE4AB53-A3C9-4C27-82BC-915669FD6FE4.jpeg

B7A0189E-7ABD-4175-8F39-0957F9090B58.jpeg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I know how to solve this problem. I tiled the whole house with this. No wear or water problems. no buckling either.
17213322514512468053223888902937.jpg

ChrisV

Reaction score
@NicPaus What tools do yo recomend buying to make my life easier. Called multiple people yesterday and no go. So looks like I'm doing this myself.