WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

valet no stick shift cars

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
For me it was a WWII or Korean era surplus military jeep. My job was to water the roads on the farm for dust control with it towing a 1200 gal tank. I was about 10 when that job started.....

Farm life

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I learned on an old Mazda Miata. I could drive it anywhere . The clutch was so soft it was easy.

Then I tried my ex’s Acura TSX, I was stuck at a light for like 4 cycles because the clutch was so firm I had a hard time getting it rolling. Yeah I was on an uphill freeway off-ramp as well. She thought it was hilarious.

4Waters

Reaction score
Ya but can you start it alone? Those things scare me.
First car ever drove was a Ranch Wagon 3 on the tree pulling a trailer.
At the dump dad needed the trailer moved forward while he held onto the crap in the trailer. Dad started the car told me to push in the clutch put it in first pull the car forward about 10 feet then push the clutch and put it back in neutral. I couldn’t see over the steering wheel because I was slouch down in the seat to push the clutch in. Then he let me drive it out of the dump.
My DD is a clutch. Ram five speed. Some people at work gave me comment about it. Through that conversation I found out nobody in the office could drive a stick. WTF
The one I drove was a 1927, actually had a starter

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I learned to drive in a manual transmission S-10. I have owned a few manuals.
I have had my Class A (yes with a manual)

That being said I would hate having to daily drive my 10speed if it was a manual.
Would be fun once in a while I guess.

77charger

Reaction score
What a joke 🤣. It should be mandatory you have to take your drivers license test in a manual. I especially believe you should have to take your class A license test in a manual as well. If you can’t pass it you shouldn’t have your license because I believe it teaches you how to actually drive.
I plan on getting a class a in the next year. My uncle owns dump trucks and told me I will be learning with a manual trans. I prefer to learn those on a truck anyways.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
62 bug. Also had a class b license with manual.
No stick shifts in my life anymore. I don't miss driving in la traffic with a stick.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I started on a dune buggy down Arizona desert roads before age 10. First car was a manual 5-speed. In 30 years with a driver’s license only 4 have been without a stick shift vehicle. I currently have a ‘17 Focus ST.

Looking for my first vehicle, I test drove an early 80’s Chevy truck with a 3 on the tree manual. That was a trip. Lol. I think 1st was down, 2nd a big swing up, and 3rd was back down? Or vise versa?

The added benefit of a manual is the ability to push start when the battery died. 😁

In 2017, there was a ton of cars with manuals. Now, very few. Even BWM is nearly void of stick shift cars. That’s just crazy. People are really missing out on a fun driving experience (except for driving in a city with hills!).

dread Pirate

Reaction score
What kind of car did everyone learn how to drive stick in?

I learned how to drive in a vehicle that happened to be manual..that vehicle was a 71 Bronco with 3 on the tree and a broken motor mount..lol

Between an old WWII Jeep my uncle had and another uncle's F250 High Boy. Jeep was easy. Give it a little gas and drop the clutch. When I did the same in the F250 with the hot rodded 460 the results were less favorable but very memorable. 🤣

RVRKID

Reaction score
Our family best friends, like my second family, had quite a bit of the lemon groves in Upland so I was always out on the tractors and big old flat bed trucks. They would let me shift gears while they drove then I even got to drive one of the trucks with them helping me. I think my first solo drive was a Ford Courier from their house to ours.
Same family came out to Havasu Landing with us and he pulled his old Jeep 3 speed out, I think I was around 13-14 and he told me to go down and hook up the boat trailer and once I could back it up straight every time I could drive the Jeep all weekend by myself. I sweated my ass off for about an hour and then I was off. My first car was a 74 260Z.

Reactions: TPC

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
My son to me when I was buying him a truck:

“Has to be a grey or white 2nd gen Tacoma, has to be a 4 banger, can’t be extra cab, and has to be stick.”

Proud dad moment lol.

The kid had wrecked his knee skating (3 torn ligaments) about 8 months prior, and I swear a manual transmission was the best PT money could buy…

Doesn’t surprise me that most youngsters don’t know how to drive stick; they’re damn near obsolete.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My first truck was a stick shift Mazda B2200 I bought from a friend when I was a freshman. The Girls I hung out with 1 had a Nissan sentra. She tought us all how to drive stick.

20 years later I bought a international 4700 dump truck with a 7.3 and it was like clockwork driving it home from Castaic for the first time. Just with a full load you had to shift just right as it was a dog loaded.

Since then I had another 4700 with the DT466. It had almost 300k miles on it and was so much easier to shift compared to the 7.3. Plenty of torque. It was a 1996 and best truck ever. 14' with removable sides that hauled my CAT also. Had to sell it cause CA wouldn't let me register it.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ha ha this thread reminded me of driving my Datsun with my son.
I bought a 72 square body from a neighbor. One owner, l16, I chased that truck for ten years.I taught my kid how to shift when he was about 4.
I would take off and then yell “SHIFT!” He would quickly reach over and grab a gear. Took him a little to get the pattern but he used to watch me and that’s what started it.
Loved that truck. All original and straight, then some bitch ran a red and t boned us in ‘94.
Thanks for the memories, I had forgotten all about that.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Italy an automatic car is rare. Especially rental cars.

Wife’s EV has a “valet mode” that has a nanny that automatically sets the parking brake and prevents the car from hitting anything while driving. 10 MPH limit too.

Still issues so we self park and take the walk.
9C326C80-22DF-4581-B2C5-3132702FC57A.jpeg

We took the Corvette to Lawrys and had to walk into the valet garage to retrieve it because the valet was lost simply figuring out how to start it.

Bought the Daughter a new Miata manual shift and had her practice on a hilly road near the house. She ace’d it immediately.

Dunerking

Reaction score
I daily drive my 04 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual all around L.A. Always have owned a manual trans of some sort either early 90’s Toyota p/u’s or my current commuter.
I taught our 17 y/o daughter how to drive the Jetta and I’ll also teach the 13 y/o boy the same. A lot of Europe still is manual..when I was in Scotland almost everything was manual! Only the shifter was done with the left hand.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I learned in my Dad's 88 F250 from watching him. So when it came time to drive it I already knew what to do. My favorite part is downshifting to pass idiots.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I’m so old, in the mandatory drivers training in high school, we were all taught to learn how to drive a stick in a VW bug.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
First daily was an 84 Sentra wagon...first "truck"...70 something Pete with a 6/4 twin stick:oops:...I was about 15.

That's the age where you think you know everything. Turns out, you don't, but you sure can entertain a bunch of old men that have forgotten more than you'll ever learn🤣

cxr

Reaction score
We have the option for valet parking at the mall in Santa Clarita. This is the sign out near where you drop your car off.

277669033_2404568139685674_2273309373521511040_n.jpg
lol one of my very first jobs was valet.. at the interview they sked if i could drive a stick. LOL i did not but i lied. thenwent to the mallin monrovio that night and practied i stripped soo many clutches in my first year lol

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My first pilot at age 8 or 9 in the late 60's. Not sure of the year but was a Chevy with push button start on the floor where later vehicles had the high/low beam floor button.
My uncle would put it in granny low and pull the choke out a bit while I drove it through the fields pulling a flat bed trailer while they stacked it with bails of hay.

As it sits today...

FB_IMG_1718493678162.jpg

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
When I was a Kid I worked a side hack at Atascadero Speed way On Saturdays one of my jobs many was to drive about a mile to the Salinas river and fill the Water truck (which had no tank baffles and an "unsychronized" gear box) , The water in the tank would surge the truck back and forth and every gear was a "grind" , once full Id drive back to the track , Corky the track owner would start the water pump and I would drive balls out around the track while he water and prepped the dirt track for the roundy round cars

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I learned to drive with a stick and as kids it was all pretty much rangers and s10s with stick shifts.

But it's so rare i have to drive one now that I'm rusty as fuck and always get a little nervous if i have to stop uphill knowing im gonna have to make that start 😆😆 it's like 5+ year intervals between driving anything with an H pattern.

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
Growing up in Pasadena, Mom had a series of Buick Rivieras, from 1963 on. What got me hooked on cars. But She taught me to drive in the first of her series of Volkswagens, a 1962 VW Bug convertible. Her last car was a Type 3 Squareback. I was so impressed with that car, my first car I bought on time, was a 1972 Squareback. My then Wife taught her best friend Debbie to drive stick in that car. My Son Billy would laugh so hard when Debbie would nail that shift from first into fourth!! and the car would chug back and forth so hard, the kid bouncing around in the back seat laughing so hard, as we all were. RIP Billy and Debbie. Cars are so very cool.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
1959 Pete 281
2012 since it was last on the road.
Future "just a pick up truck", $$$ permitting.

Dan'l
"PeeWee Distribution", the Frito Lay distributor for most of Northern AZ, has a yard in town. It's around the corner from NAPA. They have one or two single axle, double drop, 24ft or so trailers. Probably about the same era as that truck. Always thought they'd make neat car haulers, or even campers.

Yes, I'm a pretty sick person...

clark

Reaction score
I learned to drive in a 6400 chevy flatbed with a 60' garland crain on the bed 4spd with granny and a 2spd splitter rear diff
my family owned a sign company and somewhere around my forth/fifth time we had to go to phoenix so i got to drive after we topped chiroco to all the way to Quartzite when my brother in law said that i had to many Coors to continue. after that my daily driver from high school to the begining of coledge was a blown 312 in a 57 ford 2dr business coupe, still have a 91 yota 4runner 5spd 4x4 liftedand it STAYS IN THE GARAGE and my 2019 camry and jeep stay in the drive.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
Learned to drive in my older Brother's '73 Pinto, four banger and "four on the floor".