WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"unpersoned"spacecraft will be sent back to Earth, according to the FAA.

HCP3

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240902-073114.png

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
"....reported hearing a "strange noise" coming from the Boeing Starliner spacecraft just days before it is set to leave the station and return to Earth on autopilot."

Everyone, good luck. They're aiming for New Mexico...but they were also aiming for a week long trip, and to bring home the two passengers.

baja-chris

Reaction score
How long until Boeing is gone? I'd rather fly on a COMAC. Go into space on a Boeing? Hell no.

boat527

Reaction score
Or..maybe an " anomaly" upon re entry and the craft is destroyed... just sayin'

Javajoe

Reaction score
At least Elon will get them home safe in Jan /Feb. I wouldn’t chance Boeing

500bbc

Reaction score

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Or..maybe an " anomaly" upon re entry and the craft is destroyed... just sayin'
Yes, it’s going to burn up in the atmosphere so there can’t be anything to left to investigate and no fingers to point to anyone and everyone will say, “it’s a good thing the astronauts weren’t in the spacecraft otherwise they’d be dead”.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The offending thruster is on the service module which doesn't make the trip back. From what I've read there isn't anything questionable with the command module itself.

Taboma

Reaction score
The offending thruster is on the service module which doesn't make the trip back. From what I've read there isn't anything questionable with the command module itself.
Damn, you really are a RDP "Clickbait" buzz kill 🤣

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Might be good idea dump Boeing stock September 5. Not sure whose idea to bring that space ship back empty right now,but the makings of disaster for Nasa & Boeing could not be more clear. Put that thing into “Low Earth Orbit” and forget about it. Let Elon figure it out.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Well nobody said spaceflight is a cakewalk. It may never be. Those astronauts know going up that they are lab rabbits. Obviously the optics of human death in spaceflight is bad press but if we become so risk adverse we won’t take risks and then everyone says we should stop trying.

I think that’s the problem in America today. Historically this nation took risks, we were founded on a huge risk of poking the bear at the time (England). People took risks inventing the airplane, the automobile, and a lot of other things that today we take for granted and we consider them “safe”. Now all we hear about is how we shouldn’t take risks, play it safe.

And people wonder why other countries are eating our lunch in areas America used to be dominate in.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Not sure what would be worse… The Starliner leaving and exploding upon re-entry, knowing it would have killed you, or being stuck there indefinitely and seeing that thing land safely…

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not sure what would be worse… The Starliner leaving and exploding upon re-entry, knowing it would have killed you, or being stuck there indefinitely and seeing that thing land safely…
One word…ELON.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Who also had an explosion the other day.. lol
Not really an explosion, but one of the boosters fell over on landing and torched the barge. I think they said it was the boosters 22nd landing? If SpaceX had a big, bottle rocket explosion, it would have been on every news feed.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Well nobody said spaceflight is a cakewalk. It may never be. Those astronauts know going up that they are lab rabbits. Obviously the optics of human death in spaceflight is bad press but if we become so risk adverse we won’t take risks and then everyone says we should stop trying.

I think that’s the problem in America today. Historically this nation took risks, we were founded on a huge risk of poking the bear at the time (England). People took risks inventing the airplane, the automobile, and a lot of other things that today we take for granted and we consider them “safe”. Now all we hear about is how we shouldn’t take risks, play it safe.

And people wonder why other countries are eating our lunch in areas America used to be dominate in.

No doubt, in 1958 NASA started the Mercury Program, in 1961 they did the first human flight, in 1964 they had moved on to Gemini and in 1965 had the first 2 spacecraft orbital rendezvous with Gemini 6/7. In 1969, 11 years after Mercury started they set foot on the moon with Apollo. All done on with very basic computers, slide rules, manual machining and welding.

In 13 years Boeing couldn't even complete one successful manned mission with Starliner, And they didn't even have to develop a rocket, it uses an Atlas which is from the Mercury program. And they had the luxury of supercomputers, CNC machines, advanced manufacturing techniques.

It's absolutely laughable.

hallett21

Reaction score
No doubt, in 1958 NASA started the Mercury Program, in 1961 they did the first human flight, in 1964 they had moved on to Gemini and in 1965 had the first 2 spacecraft orbital rendezvous with Gemini 6/7. In 1969, 11 years after Mercury started they set foot on the moon with Apollo. All done on with very basic computers, slide rules, manual machining and welding.

In 13 years Boeing couldn't even complete one successful manned mission with Starliner, And they didn't even have to develop a rocket, it uses an Atlas which is from the Mercury program. And they had the luxury of supercomputers, CNC machines, advanced manufacturing techniques.

It's absolutely laughable.
Don’t make me bump the other thread 🤣

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Can't wait til we try and go to the moon!

I think that SLS program will get scrapped in the wake of this. Thing is way to expensive and greatly lacks the performance per dollar.

They projected something crazy like $5 Billion per launch if i remember correctly.

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
I think that SLS program will get scrapped in the wake of this. Thing is way to expensive and greatly lacks the performance per dollar.

They projected something crazy like $5 Billion per launch if i remember correctly.
Agreed, also I think we are not smart enough anymore to even attempt it...we're having trouble just keeping jets together! But it's okay, as long as nobody's feelings get hurt!

2Driver

Reaction score
We now have Tang and the temper-pedic mattress, enough is enough.

hallett21

Reaction score
We’re all thinking it. 5-6 months and you’re both married. Brutal.