Ultra Light Crash

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1373217046016.jpg

Into the power line near Sundance.
Sent from a phone!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Tragedy at echo, that guy crashed, doesn't look good tore himself up bad, tore leg off, ain't gonna make it. Help in route. He got too low and stalled trying to avoid wires.

From a buddy at the river.

Hope he survives.

Sent from a phone!

Reaction score
Jesus.

Horrible .

2Driver

Reaction score
We were out testing a neighbors trophy lite truck yesterday and saw him buzzing around the airport.

Geez that isnt good

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Damn. Tore his leg off???

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Update...

Stalled near Echo's Club House. Fell out of the sky and onto the wires. Life flight was waved off! Sad!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Wow.
How sad. Prayers to the family, what a thing to deal with.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Sad deal for sure:( We all die that's a fact, but how many truly live, looks like he went out LIVING life to the fullest...........

Riverguy553

Reaction score
When I left this am (0740) I saw him flying over the airport then Walmart area.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Friends did all they could to help him. He clipped one of the wires and went down. RIP

Edit. Since this pops up first on google and family might be looking for answers. He passed away with a great group of people doing all they could do to help. He crashed right in front of my Friends golf cart after clipping the lower wire closest to club house side. Right after the crash several others that saw or heard it rushed to the scene to help. The older man looked to be in his 60's was having a great time flying over and waving to the people on shore. He had just waived to one of the girls I know while she was on the beach and he was smiling having a great time. If there was anything else they could of done to save him I know they would have. They are a great group and after talk was we need better emergency equipment on hand as emergency crews are usually 30 min away. It was a terrible end to a great weekend and I feel for my Echo crew that was there to help.

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Damn. Saw it this morning when I was leaving around 10. RIP, sad to hear.

ColeTR2

Reaction score
Sad deal for sure:( We all die that's a fact, but how many truly live, looks like he went out LIVING life to the fullest...........

Well said ... Flying is amazing and as safe as you make it. If you've ever dreamed of flying don't let a accident like this keep you from living life. Do it

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My old man clipped the wires in his 210 looking for a sunk boat when I was a kid.. Cessna actually puts a hardened knife edged piece of material in the wings just to cut power lines etc if you hit one.. He got lucky.

RIP to the Ultra Light pilot. :(.

HavasuHaulin

Reaction score
Wow that's sad, we seen them go over Emerald Cove, the guy in the last yellow one was real low and weaving back and forth across the river edge.

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
Another sad day in the world of general aviation / experimental aircraft, to the family prayers. I think this year may be one of the worst for fatalities in general aviation nationwide. The FAA Administrator earlier this year put out a plea for those in this arena to fly safer, smarter & better. It truly bums me out reading on a daily basis the number of GA plane / helicopter crashes. I wish there was a cure to slow this trend down :(:(:(

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
My old man clipped the wires in his 210 looking for a sunk boat when I was a kid.. Cessna actually puts a hardened knife edged piece of material in the wings just to cut power lines etc if you hit one.. He got lucky.

RIP to the Ultra Light pilot. :(.

No they don't. Your dad was very lucky.

PVHCA

Reaction score

Was gonna say that but I wasn't sure, my father had 2-210's and I don't recall anything like that. I couldn't imagine Cessna taking on that type of liability.

rrrr

Reaction score
Wow that's sad, we seen them go over Emerald Cove, the guy in the last yellow one was real low and weaving back and forth across the river edge.

Did they have two stroke engines? Two strokes have a much higher failure rate than four strokes in ultralights. Rotax and Cayunas are known for piston seizing issues. Proper maintenance and care is a must.

I'm asking because it appears he lost the engine and was attempting an emergency landing. Dunno how big that parking lot is but the sight of asphalt might have sucked him in and he didn't see the wires until it was too late.

I had an ultralight a long time ago...one day I was landing at the small strip we used, the approach was over power lines with the orange balls on them. Got a good look at them as I was a little low. Got on the ground, thought about it a little and that was the last time I flew an ultralight.

Even though I had a couple hundred hours in high altitude thermal soaring and ridge flying in my hang glider, I decided the ultralight was just too dangerous. The wing loading is too heavy and they are too dependent on power to fly. They glide like a car hood with no power. If I had ever lost the engine on approach to that strip it would have ended just like yesterday's tragedy.

I grieve for the pilot's friends and family. BTDT.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad news. :( RIP. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
We saw them fly by Emerald Cove as we were packing up. After I pulled out, we were passed by a Firetruck and Ambulance (heading in the direction of Echo). We were wondering what happened, now we know. Sad! RIP!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did they have two stroke engines? Two strokes have a much higher failure rate than four strokes in ultralights. Rotax and Cayunas are known for piston seizing issues. Proper maintenance and care is a must.

I'm asking because it appears he lost the engine and was attempting an emergency landing. Dunno how big that parking lot is but the sight of asphalt might have sucked him in and he didn't see the wires until it was too late.

I had an ultralight a long time ago...one day I was landing at the small strip we used, the approach was over power lines with the orange balls on them. Got a good look at them as I was a little low. Got on the ground, thought about it a little and that was the last time I flew an ultralight.

Even though I had a couple hundred hours in high altitude thermal soaring and ridge flying in my hang glider, I decided the ultralight was just too dangerous. The wing loading is too heavy and they are too dependent on power to fly. They glide like a car hood with no power. If I had ever lost the engine on approach to that strip it would have ended just like yesterday's tragedy.

I grieve for the pilot's friends and family. BTDT.

The motor did not fail and he was not attempting a crash landing, 2 of my echo neighbors that I talked to watched it first hand 1 was within 80 yards. Dont want to try and quote his words as I barely woke up but I was at the scene and he showed me how it went down. At one point he thought it might hit him as it went down. He was in a bad position with all the cables that cross that area. He tried to avoid them and clipped the lowest one and at that point lost momentum and he went down. Crashed right in front of my neighbor 1 of many that did all they could to help save him.

I think he did not realize his altitude as he approached all the cables. He made a effort to turn right to avoid them and clipped the one and lost his momentum sending him down. It looked like a very dangerous setup to begin with as the motor is behind you. Not sure if he was familiar with the area or not but there a lot of cables right there.

jsquaredgc

Reaction score
I saw them fly over the Rio as I was pulling my sand spike out and I mentioned to my wife that the one seems to be having trouble, it kept falling out of the sky - looked like it was dropping probably 5-10 ft everytime. Very sad all the way around -

NicPaus

Reaction score
I saw them fly over the Rio as I was pulling my sand spike out and I mentioned to my wife that the one seems to be having trouble, it kept falling out of the sky - looked like it was dropping probably 5-10 ft everytime. Very sad all the way around -

Shit maybe he did have motor issues. I forgot to ask if they flew over the wires or under them. If he was trying to go over he would of had to have been 40 ft higher atleast to clear top cables. The people I talked to said he was cruising overhead waving to them. The one girl joked that was her ride home as he waved at them. Another neighbor was ready to get a picture from across river right as he hit. I did not talk to all the others as I had to leave for home.

linus3

Reaction score
Engine sounded fine when he flew over my place at Echo about 30 seconds before accident. He was a little low but nothing out of the ordinary from other times they have flown over. Kids were waving at him as well. Short time later a guy came to my porch asking if I was a Paramedic and said he went down. Sad deal all around.

BajaWarrior

Reaction score
This occurred around 9 a.m. yesterday?

We had just finished breakfast at the little restaurant at Buckskin Mountain State Park and getting on our Seadoos when we saw him fly by heading South over the River. We followed him and he did a circle around the State Park then crossed the River towards Echo when we lost track of him near the wires over the River. Had no idea he went down, we just thought he was out of our range.

We continued South on the River just past RoadRunner and floated for a while then headed back to our ramp at Holiday Harbour and called it a day. Never heard any sirens though or activity at Echo.

R.I.P.

2Driver

Reaction score
They were 100' over the river up by us. Dont ultralights have the same 500' level limits in populated areas as private planes?

My buddy crashed his into a cliff in a remote section of Utah scouting deer. He clung to a juniper tree on the cliff with his foot turned backwards. Only his Sat phone saved his life.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
This was a very sad deal to witness and my prayers go out to that poor family and all the Echo first responders that treated him and were by his side till help arrived. It was a horrable way to start a Sunday morning. Thanks for all the accurate info Nick.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
They were 100' over the river up by us. Dont ultralights have the same 500' level limits in populated areas as private planes?

My buddy crashed his into a cliff in a remote section of Utah scouting deer. He clung to a juniper tree on the cliff with his foot turned backwards. Only his Sat phone saved his life.

True Ultralights operate under Part 103, and it says they will not operate over "any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons."

No height or distance minimums are given. Looking on a sectional, the area around Echo isn't considered congested.

The section also says no person may operate "any ultralight vehicle in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons or property."

So between those two, things take care of themselves.

If this was an LSA aircraft then the Part 91 requirements are in effect and then they can't be within 500 feet of structures or people over sparsely populated areas or 500 feet above the surface when flying over not congested areas.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Sleek-Jet, this is one of those instances where I'm gonna say your wrong and I have absolutely no proof of otherwise.. But I'll tell ya this, the old man was an engineer, and a genius.. In my whole life (no shit) I have never heard him be wrong about one technical aspect of anything mechanical.. In every case he could tell you how it was designed, why it was designed, etc..

When the wing was split open after he cut the wires in parker, he said "Looky there they put a wire cutter in the wing." I remember it to this very day.. and he referenced how smart he thought it was that they put it in there for years later when he retold the story. (which I heard more then a handful of times)

If it wasn't in there (as you are saying), the wing magically clipped a bunch of wires above the river and something hard as fuck and sharp cut them all about 2-3' in from the wing tip on a T210.. He seemed to think whatever it was, happened to be in there for that purpose. LOL (which I'm guessing it was)

Yes they flattened out the sheet metal and duct taped it all back together and we flew it home on sunday.. Something he denied later in life, but I for some reason remember being terrified looking out the window at the duct tape and thinking the wing was going to fall off. I was little though so who knows I might have dreamed it or something. I hated flying back then.. Fucking hate it now.. But if I could I'd buy a plane if nothing else for the sheer convenience factor of going to vegas from here.

RD

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sleek-Jet, this is one of those instances where I'm gonna say your wrong and I have absolutely no proof of otherwise.. But I'll tell ya this, the old man was an engineer, and a genius.. In my whole life (no shit) I have never heard him be wrong about one technical aspect of anything mechanical.. In every case he could tell you how it was designed, why it was designed, etc..

When the wing was split open after he cut the wires in parker, he said "Looky there they put a wire cutter in the wing." I remember it to this very day.. and he referenced how smart he thought it was that they put it in there for years later when he retold the story. (which I heard more then a handful of times)

If it wasn't in there (as you are saying), the wing magically clipped a bunch of wires above the river and something hard as fuck and sharp cut them all about 2-3' in from the wing tip on a T210.. He seemed to think whatever it was, happened to be in there for that purpose. LOL (which I'm guessing it was)

Yes they flattened out the sheet metal and duct taped it all back together and we flew it home on sunday.. Something he denied later in life, but I for some reason remember being terrified looking out the window at the duct tape and thinking the wing was going to fall off. I was little though so who knows I might have dreamed it or something. I hated flying back then.. Fucking hate it now.. But if I could I'd buy a plane if nothing else for the sheer convenience factor of going to vegas from here.

RD

Knowing what you've said about your Dad I don't doubt his technical prowess, but I think it might have been a bit of gallows humor there. Even if there is a "wire strike kit" in the wing, he was lucky.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Knowing what you've said about your Dad I don't doubt his technical prowess, but I think it might have been a bit of gallows humor there. Even if there is a "wire strike kit" in the wing, he was lucky.

FWIW, I just did a google search, and you can't buy one, and there were no returns on the subject.

In any case, they would be going the wrong way. We have them on military helicopters and some aircraft, but they are vertical. A wing would deflect and go around any wire that the prop didn't hit first.

RD, I think your Dad was WILDLY lucky in any case. Wire cutters aren't very reliable at helo speeds, let alone plane speeds.

Director...
Reaction score
FWIW, I just did a google search, and you can't buy one, and there were no returns on the subject.

In any case, they would be going the wrong way. We have them on military helicopters and some aircraft, but they are vertical. A wing would deflect and go around any wire that the prop didn't hit first.

RD, I think your Dad was WILDLY lucky in any case. Wire cutters aren't very reliable at helo speeds, let alone plane speeds.

Cant recall ever hearing of any except on copters...

530RL

Reaction score
See picture for WSPS on my old 530. Upper and lower cutters which you can see on the bottom of the forward fuselage and the top of the mast deck prior to the mast. Effectiveness is dependent upon how thick the cable is, how fast you are going and your weight at the time of impact. Wires are typically near the ground, so, one should consider flying above where lines can be. I believe there was a thread about the Lucas R44 and its preliminary report of contact with wires.

Some fixed wing aircraft, primarily crop dusters have used a WSPS affixed to the leading edge of the vertical but as Lt. Froggy said, the cables typically get caught in the spinning prop first so they are even less effective than rotary WSPS. Because they are not very effective, they are rarely used.

Modern, heavy expensive rotary wing and modern crop dusting have electronic warning systems of wire locations but people string wires all the time in the boonies which are not properly marked.

In the contest to fly closest to the ground, the best you can ever achieve is a tie.

IMG_0516.jpg

Last edited:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Just confirmed with my brother, who is an A&P mech and a know it all on 210's. It is highly unlikely there is anything like a wire strike kit in the wing, as bi-metallic corrosion would kill the idea early.

He said the spar is in there, and as a cantilever wing it would be heavy looking, and it is just back from the leading edge.

He also said it is highly unlikely that a pilot with any time would have flown it home without an inspection of the spar, which would have necessitated a sheet metal tear-down of the wing.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Just confirmed with my brother, who is an A&P mech and a know it all on 210's. It is highly unlikely there is anything like a wire strike kit in the wing, as bi-metallic corrosion would kill the idea early.

He said the spar is in there, and as a cantilever wing it would be heavy looking, and it is just back from the leading edge.

He also said it is highly unlikely that a pilot with any time would have flown it home without an inspection of the spar, which would have necessitated a sheet metal tear-down of the wing.

:eek:

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I sense mass bannings about to happen...........:eek:skull;)

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Just confirmed with my brother, who is an A&P mech and a know it all on 210's.

I just spoke with my brother who is also an A/P and he said that duct tape is the shizzle! :D

PA290060.jpg PA290061.jpg PA290064.jpg PA290065.jpg PA310068.jpg PB010070.jpg