WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tubing with a deck boat

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I’ve seen it once or twice with my own eyes but do those cat decks actually turn well enough for water sports or would I be forced to buy an X Flight/VTX?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I can tell you that’s why we went with the VTX instead of the 288 when we bought our Howard. Gene insisted the 288 was no good for towing. I love to foil, and the wife loves to wakeboard. The VTX turns on rails. It’s pretty incredible.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I can tell you that’s why we went with the VTX instead of the 288 when we bought our Howard. Gene insisted the 288 was no good for towing. I love to foil, and the wife loves to wakeboard. The VTX turns on rails. It’s pretty incredible.
How about handling rough water?

Reactions: DWC

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I’ve seen it once or twice with my own eyes but do those cat decks actually turn well enough for water sports or would I be forced to buy an X Flight/VTX?
X-flight is one of the best handling boats on the water….very stable and well laid out.

If I pull a tube behind mine though it drinks fuel… it’s actually a solid platform for tow sports though…

MeCasa16

Reaction score
How about handling rough water?
This is actually very subjective. The short and easy answer is yes, but there are too many factors in every situation to give a blanket statement. And everyone’s definition of “handle” is different.

How much weight is in the boat?
How fast are you going?
Define “rough water”?
Wake boat rough? Busy Saturday rough?
Monsoon rough?
Define “handle”?
The boat is stable and won’t capsize? A beer won’t spill while sitting on a table?
You can sit comfortably without holding “oh shit handles? An elderly man with balance issues can walk freely?

It’s way too general of a question to give a specific answer.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
@FROGMAN524 I’d be more than happy to give you a ride sometime if you want to see for yourself.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
If ya want to pull tubes, wakeboarders once in a while , no problem. But neither would be considered a “good” tow boat. Mediocre at best. But certainly doable , and fun. If your serious about wake sports, a 28-30ft performance boat would not be on the short list.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
@FROGMAN524 If I could move my 29 today I can assure you this would come home with me this afternoon… There are only I think 2 to 3 of these total in existence

55DC841B-6CF9-42A1-90B9-F33475E4A84F.png

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Can't speak for all models, but if your talking about 26'+ deck boats - Cat hulls generally don't plane at a low enough speed to be on plane and tube at tubing speeds. So your cruising around nose-high plowing, standing up trying to see. Even if you do get them on plane at a low enough speed - your right on the verge of falling off plane to keep the speed down, and making a u-turn requires alot of throttle and input to keep it there. Adding a set of tabs might help for this purpose, but its unconventional to find tabs on a Cat

You can do it, but it's not much fun IMHO. I tried my buddies 25' Chaparelle V-bottom, and it was a world of differece tubing.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Keep the Hallet and buy a older wake boat.

I bought a 24' Four Winns a few years ago. It had a tower and a 6.2 merc. Paid $16,500 worked 100 times better Than my Cobra for watersports. Sold it for Covid money. But might buy another next year. Nieces and Nephews are at that watersports age.

hallett21

Reaction score
Too big to do little kid things and too hard around the beach. Need a walk off for my sanity.
Would big tabs and different props handle the water sports?

Seems like you need a second boat. You have a beautiful 100mph+ boat and who want to sell that?!?!?! 😁😎😉

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Would big tabs and different props handle the water sports?

Seems like you need a second boat. You have a beautiful 100mph+ boat and who want to sell that?!?!?! 😁😎😉
My RV garage isn't big enough for two boats and a RV. Guess I could make it bigger but that's another issue. When I bought this boat, I didn't have little kids.

Just for perspective/inflation purposes, I got pricing from Sun Country Marine in LHC two different times:

Nautique G25: July of 2019: MSRP $247,000 Sales Price $216,000
Nautique G23 Paragon: Today: MSRP $433,000 Sales Price $341,000

hallett21

Reaction score
My RV garage isn't big enough for two boats and a RV. Guess I could make it bigger but that's another issue. When I bought this boat, I didn't have little kids.

Just for perspective/inflation purposes, I got pricing from Sun Country Marine in LHC two different times:

Do they still make a G25?

brgrcru

Reaction score
I looked at a Malibu 26’ lsv
Saturday dropping my baby Malibu vtx off for service . At Tommy’s
Nice place and store
Damn our lifestyle costs a lot of money now
If you want the newest and greatest

Glad I don’t
325k + for a wake surf dock crusher and make everyone in the water besides your crew miserable

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Quit looking at the baller models of wakeboard boats.

Check out Axis, it is Malibu’s entry level line and they have some nice stuff that you can sometimes find for relatively cheap (especially if you take a prior model year boat off their hands so they can make room for more current model year stuff).

Even the entry models today have more of the features that were optional or not available years ago even on premium models.

And some of them ride better in chop than older models which were a back beater.

We had a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV and I would have preferred a scorpion sting to the nuts rather than go out on a choppy day in that boat. We traded it in on an Axis 24A and that is actually doable on Havasu in moderate wind chop.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Do they still make a G25?

Yes, in a “standard” and a Paragon version.

I have a 2019 G25 and LOVE it. After riding behind the new hull, I actually like ours better than the new one and am keeping the 2019, but obviously both are very nice. You cannot go wrong with a 2018 or new G23 or G25. They are simply in a class of their own. The Paragon are just that, a Paragon. If you want to swing your cock, you buy one of them. 99.9% of the people who are riding behind any of the late model wake boats don’t even come close to using them to their potential, it is just a status thing, much like the Pavati’s.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Check out Axis, it is Malibu’s entry level line and they have some nice stuff that you can sometimes find for relatively cheap (especially if you take a prior model year boat off their hands so they can make room for more current model year stuff).

Even the entry models today have more of the features that were optional or not available years ago even on premium models.

And some of them ride better in chop than older models which were a back beater.

We had a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV and I would have preferred a scorpion sting to the nuts rather than go out on a choppy day in that boat. We traded it in on an Axis 24A and that is actually doable on Havasu in moderate wind chop.
Do you drive around with the ballast tanks full to improve your ride?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
just want to say depending on the price I'm still interested in the Hallett. :)

RD

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Yes, in a “standard” and a Paragon version.

I have a 2019 G25 and LOVE it. After riding behind the new hull, I actually like ours better than the new one and am keeping the 2019, but obviously both are very nice. You cannot go wrong with a 2018 or new G23 or G25. They are simply in a class of their own. The Paragon are just that, a Paragon. If you want to swing your cock, you buy one of them. 99.9% of the people who are riding behind any of the late model wake boats don’t even come close to using them to their potential, it is just a status thing, much like the Pavati’s.
Yeah but Pavatis are hideous IMO

brgrcru

Reaction score

We bought our Malibu 20’ vtx in 2019
It was a brand new 2018. We saved 60k off sticker
It was fully loaded with everything you could put on it at the time
Love the boat . It skies well. Better if you ski at 34–36mph. I don’t, I ski at 28-30
So not the best ski wake
But great for boarding snd surfing

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
My 26’ Nordic deck towed great. It had a 565 and trim tabs. Put the tabs all the way down, rpm at about 2600, nose stayed down and we could cruise at about 22-25mph.

My Howard doesn’t like to cruise below 40mph. The Teague 1050 wants to rip! But, I never intended my Howard to be a tow boat.

Again, I’d be more than happy to take you for a ride.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
you can find decks out there with trim tabs.. they work decent for towing and you can find them used.. I'd look for a decent power plant (540/565 minimum) and tabs with hydraulic steering.

RD

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
you can find decks out there with trim tabs.. they work decent for towing and you can find them used.. I'd look for a decent power plant (540/565 minimum) and tabs with hydraulic steering.

RD
Wasn't there a magic model (rare like a handful) that was built with ballast tanks etc? I'm almost sure I remember seeing one for sale semi recently.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Yeah but Pavatis are hideous IMO

Agreed! Much like the Paragon, it’s a dick swinger thing.

I like how many wake boats you see in the channel that don’t even have a board in the racks or on top of the tower. Makes no sense to me. If it’s simply a transport vessel to/from the channel or sandbar, but a fkn toon, they are a MUCH better platform for that!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Agreed! Much like the Paragon, it’s a dick swinger thing.

I like how many wake boats you see in the channel that don’t even have a board in the racks or on top of the tower. Makes no sense to me. If it’s simply a transport vessel to/from the channel or sandbar, but a fkn toon, they are a MUCH better platform for that!
Whether it makes sense or not… The ratio of topless women on performance boats and dock crushers far exceeds those on pontoons

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Do you drive around with the ballast tanks full to improve your ride?
Absolutely not. We are primarily water-skiers so we don’t use any of the shit that thing has to improve the wake. About the only thing I use the ballast for is ride leveling from the prop torque and only while there’s a skier so the wakes are even for them.

Our partner who really wanted it thinks he’s an Olympic level wakeboarder and surfer and wanted that thing for the ballast and the surf gates and the wedge and all that. God knows he’s out there down by the springs turning the lake into a washing machine.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

Doesn't it seem crazy or backwards that a surf boat (albeit new) costs OVER 2X what you're asking for a 33' Hallett?

On another note, I like what has been suggested above about two boats. I have two boats ever since my kids wanted to do more toys than what my Hallett could offer. I swapped the Hallett for Mandella but still have my fun go fast boat and the family boat. If you have the coin keep both. I would go into a used surf boat or runabout like my Cobalt and KEEP the Hallett!

If you DO end up selling the Hallett, I'll pay $10k over whatever @RiverDave is currently offering. :p😂:p😂

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Also, this thread is asking about tubbing….. the Nautique G series do not tube for shit. They are not designed to turn fast, or accelerate quickly. They are a displacement hull with one objective.

I’m a Nautique nut swinger, but the most well rounded wake sport boat remains the Malibu. Surf, Ski, tube, board etc can all be done pretty successfully behind a 23LSV or VLX. You aren’t skiing or tubing successfully behind a G….

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Also, this thread is asking about tubbing….. the Nautique G series do not tune for shit. They are not designed to turn fast, or accelerate quickly. They are displacement hull with one objective.

I’m a Nautique nut swinger, but the most well rounded wake sport boat remains the Malibu. Surf, Ski, tube, board etc can all be done pretty successfully behind a 23LSV or VLX. You aren’t skiing or tubing successfully behind a G….
What’s the difference between a LSV and a VLX?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem crazy or backwards that a surf boat (albeit new) costs OVER 2X what you're asking for a 33' Hallett?

On another note, I like what has been suggested above about two boats. I have two boats ever since my kids wanted to do more toys than what my Hallett could offer. I swapped the Hallett for Mandella but still have my fun go fast boat and the family boat. If you have the coin keep both. I would go into a used surf boat or runabout like my Cobalt and KEEP the Hallett!

If you DO end up selling the Hallett, I'll pay $10k over whatever @RiverDave is currently offering. :p😂:p😂
The shear demand for wake boats, outboard cats and toons is amazing to me.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
What’s the difference between a LSV and a VLX?

I meant MXZ, the VLX is an older model, but honestly still good.

In my head the MXZ is an LSV with a pickle front. There’s differences, sure, but again the lions share of the riders cannot outride 99% of the boats on the market.

If a guy is looking to test the wake boat arena, a 23LSV or 247LSV in 2013-newer are great options. With a little lead you can make them do anything that an average to advanced rider will be able to do behind a $300k resin bucket.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Just drag and whip them anywhere you want to go it's all good...LOL
I had them hanging on for dear life. What a blast!!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588623055742.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588623055742.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 33

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I meant MXZ, the VLX is an older model, but honestly still good.

In my head the MXZ is an LSV with a pickle front. There’s differences, sure, but again the lions share of the riders cannot outride 99% of the boats on the market.

If a guy is looking to test the wake boat arena, a 23LSV or 247LSV in 2013-newer are great options. With a little lead you can make them do anything that an average to advanced rider will be able to do behind a $300k resin bucket.
Yeah I’m a skier and a mastercraft guy but if when the kids want to switch from skiing/wakeboarding to wake surfing I’ll be looking for a Malibu V drive with a cut diamond hull so I can keep skiing.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Yeah I’m a skier and a mastercraft guy but if when the kids want to switch from skiing/wakeboarding to wake surfing I’ll be looking for a Malibu V drive with a cut diamond hull so I can keep skiing.
That’s why I went with vtx and a Diamond bottom . good ski boat , great wakeboard, and great surf boat . Fun Tubing boat
20’ of pure joy

Probably the best all around boat that Malibu builds .
58930784705__16238559-C901-49A7-B3D5-E6B56767DE8A.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Agreed. The LACK of demand for big rough water handling V hulls amazes me too.

Nobody wants to get in and out of them. For southwest inland boating they suck for old people and young kids unless you are staying in the boat all day.

Reactions: DWC

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
That’s why I went with vtx and a Diamond bottom . good ski boat , great wakeboard, and great surf boat . Fun Tubing boat
20’ of pure joy

Probably the best all around boat that Malibu builds .
View attachment 1299063
Only problem with them is the lack of a pass thru from swim deck to rear bench. Wish they did something like nautique did on the 211.

IMG_0978.jpeg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Wasn't there a magic model (rare like a handful) that was built with ballast tanks etc? I'm almost sure I remember seeing one for sale semi recently.
Yes. The one I saw and spoke to the owner about was a mix of greens/yellows, had a roll bar and a merc dual prop.