WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Traveling to Europe for 2 weeks, Must Visits?

brad22

Barco Mecanico
Reaction score
Girlfriend and her favorite cousin going end of August. They are trying to plan out some places to visit. So far they plan on using Air BNB and visiting Paris, Venice, Rome and Croatia.

They have never been to Europe. Any recommendations, tips, or any other valuable info I can pass on to them?

Raffit78

Reaction score
If you go south of France to Nice, you gotta visit "eze village" google it. Probably one of the most surreal views I've ever seen.

Venice is great as well, lots of museums, a lot of water lol. Cabing in water taxis is pretty damn fun to get anywhere you want to go.

With only 2 weeks, it's extremely hard to cover a lot of areas at those spots. So pick and choose your areas and where to go from now.

In Rome, you gotta do the tour of the colosseum, Vatican is 15 minutes away. If you're into that.

You are going to love the history there.

Forgot, the bullet train is bad ass! We took that a couple of times and 200 mph throughout the countryside is something to experience.

traquer

Reaction score
Croatia is nice! It's where a lot of the Germans and other Europeans do their boating. We drove from Budapest and stayed at an AirBNB in Zadar.

My favorite trips in Europe have been where we road-tripped, it's a lot of fun to shoot the shit with the locals in the villages along the way. More fun for me than the destination and cheaper

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That's a lot of ground to cover in 2 weeks.

I would stay a week and travel south Bavaria and Austria, then a week in Rome. There is always the next trip for Paris ect.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Ive had a few mates go over and they said the Greek Islands are the go.
Germany is on my todo list.

havasu5150

Reaction score
Ive had a few mates go over and they said the Greek Islands are the go.
Germany is on my todo list.

Greek Islands are beautiful. Skip Paris or bus through it in a day, it's just a big dirty city IMO, sure it has the Eiffle tower, The Louve and a few other tuouristy hot spots, spend a day at the most seeing that. Rome and Venice are cool, get immersed in the history. Never been to Croatia

boatpi

Reaction score
Venice is very cool, it is all walking so the island can take 2 days if you are into that.

Rome is the big history area, from Trevi fountains, to Coliseum, etc. Allow 3-4 days, uses buses and walking or a tour. Remember in August it can get in the 90's in Rome. Between cities in Italy use trains, and book ahead. If they have time do not miss Lake Como, and the train drops you off two blocks from a decent reasonable hotel, Suisse, at the docks. It is one long day hopping on and off the boat as this is a large lake with many sites along the Swiss border.

Florence, Venice, and Bologna airports are easy to use, Rome (2 pix) can be overwhelming.

If they are into churches, Florence is a must see, basically endless, all free and open the public. Stay at the edge of the city as in town it is pricey. If they are car girls, in the Modena area the factories of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Ducati are all with in 30 minutes of each other. Modena is just outside Bologna that has an airport and a short train ride to Venice, Milan and into Como just beyond Milan. Milan is very industrial, but mainly fashion and some deals on high quality clothing can be had if they have the extra ca$h.

As mentioned Greece islands are tops, I would suggest Santorini, breathtaking beaches, warm water, all clear, reasonable hotels close to the water, cabs reasonable. See photo.

I could go on, but this is for starters. BTW:paris is on complete lock down, can be a dangerous place, no joke.

Attachments

• 2016-07-08 17.26.58.jpg
    2016-07-08 17.26.58.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN7033.jpg
    DSCN7033.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN6919.jpg
    DSCN6919.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2016-07-09 14.18.46.jpg
    2016-07-09 14.18.46.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 16

530RL

Reaction score
If one considers all of "europe", europe is about the same geographical size as the US so the equivalent question would be, "I'm going to the US for two weeks, where should I go? :D

Paris was mentioned as was Santorini, unfortunately it is over 2,000 miles from Santorini to Paris so it is a heck of a trip especially if you are only over there for a couple weeks.

Figure out if you want to see a bunch of things in a couple places or a little bit of a bunch of places. It is hard to do both.

If I was young, I would start in Amesterdam and take the train down to the mediterranean. If I was middle aged or older, I would probably go to Paris, Rome, larger cities like that with all types of stuff. Young people have different interests than old people. The Coliseum will still be there twenty years from now when one is older, you probably won't want to go to Amsterdam then.

If I was single, I would go to Ibiza.......

Don't be worried about all the news with respect to dangerous cities. All cities are dangerous in spots, just look at Chicago or NY. I flew into Paris in the last month and it is like it always has been. The news shows the worst part, in other words where news is being made, whereas the rest of the millions of people go on with life. If one uses their head, they are just as safe as being in any other major western city.

Western European companies shut down for the month of August. In other words it is the most expensive vacation time and everything is beyond packed. Go after Sept 1 or before August 1 if you can.

Enjoy.

Tank

Reaction score
Yea, like Boatpi and 530 said, you need to really narrow down what you really want to do. I was in "Europe" for 6 weeks and hit southern Germany, bullet train to Paris, then drove French Riviera, Austria, Switzerland, mid to northern Italy including Monacco, Pompei, Florance, Venice, Bologna...Highlight? Venice is cool because its Venice, so is paris and the Louve and Iffel Tower. I really enjoyed Ludwigs Castle and went to both Ferrari and Lambo factories. I really, really liked Heidlelburg in Germany and the black forest. 6 weeks, we drove mostly everywhere and that was still not enough time. two week? Pick two area and stick to that. Like Paris for 5 days and Rome for 5 days. Or Greece 5 days and Venice for 5 days. I think you'll be much happier you aren't always rushing everywhere.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Red Light District. Amsterdam. :D :boobeyes:

brad22

Barco Mecanico
Reaction score
Alright, lots of great info here thank you!!

Another question. Can they rent a car in Venice and drive to Croatia? Their intentions are to do this in order to save time from bus hopping. Is it legal or how does that work?

spectras only

Reaction score
To see one country in Europe, one needs months not weeks to see highlights. I spent 8 months in Italy;) and the highlights of my explorations were; Island of Capri, Pompei, and hiking inside Vesuvius. It was in 1970, don't think they allow hiking into the volcano anymore now. Venice is definitely a must see but warning, check tides. At low tide it can be smelly quite bad:skull One out of three times visited the city it was smelly. The Colosseum was infested with cats and stank too but that was a long time ago too. Italy is a warm and beautiful country, I could live there if had a chance to choose the right location.:thumbsup Like George Clooney, lot of celebs have hideouts there.
If Croatia is on the menu, Split and Dubrovnik [ long haul though from Venice ] should be on the bucket list for anyone. I personally liked the trips on the Croatia side of the Adriatic compared to the east side of the Italian coast through Venice.
The Blue Grotto in the Island of Capri is breath taking but you have to check the tide there as well because at high tide the opening is blocked by high water.

This is for young guys heading to Croatia one day,hehe. Pula has the largest nudist beach in Europe where you could feast your eyes on the most beautiful species of women with tanned skin colour unmatched anywhere.

traquer

Reaction score
Remember it's super cheap to fly within Europe too. If you have a place to keep your luggage and just take a carry-on you're golden

spectras only

Reaction score
Remember it's super cheap to fly within Europe too. If you have a place to keep your luggage and just take a carry-on you're golden

Traquer, when were you traveling in Hungary? Haven't been back there since 1989. Huge changes were there after the russians pulled out. Was born and raised in Budapest, lived in the foothills of Buda castle district before i left. Lot of history there too.

traquer

Reaction score
Traquer, when were you traveling in Hungary? Haven't been back there since 1989. Huge changes were there after the russians pulled out. Was born and raised in Budapest, lived in the foothills of Buda castle district before i left. Lot of history there too.

The Buda side, that's still the nicer side to live lol. My parents had a condo right behind the Opera house (Pest side). Worth a pretty penny today that's for sure.. I was born here but have been back many times recently, had a GF there.

I LOVE visiting because it's so cheap, beautiful and I know the language so it's easy to get around. Word from the wise is Budapest will be a big business hub soon (Chinese bought big port in Greece and will distribute via Hungary), also they kicked out 99% of migrants so there's that

spectras only

Reaction score
Folks love to party in Budapest and at Lake Balaton that's the largest lake in central Europe. Spent lot of time during summer at lake Balaton that made me love the water and boating in general.:thumbsup
Alice Cooper's favourite city too.
[video=youtube;vApAmydLjjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vApAmydLjjo[/video]

sirbob

Reaction score
For an old world european feel go to Brussels Grand Place Square - be sure to see the original peeing Boy statue.

Then if your into motorsports (and you better be if your here!) Maranello / Modena are must see. Lots of cars, factories / Ferrari / Lambo etc - almost always somebody testing at Ferrari track.

530RL

Reaction score
Alright, lots of great info here thank you!!

Another question. Can they rent a car in Venice and drive to Croatia? Their intentions are to do this in order to save time from bus hopping. Is it legal or how does that work?

Where in Croatia?

You might be better off taking a fast ferry from Venice to Rabac or Pula and then renting a car to wherever you want to go in Croatia.

Ferry schedule here http://venezialines.com/#

If you are trying to go to Dubrovnik, that is way down the Adriatic and probably a 20 hour drive from Venice unless your car floats so a plane is the only way to go.

Alternative advice here if going to Dubrovnik. http://www.dubrovnik-travel-experience.com/ferry-from-venice-to-croatia.html

Hope that helps.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Red Light District. Amsterdam. :D :boobeyes:

Apparently you have never been there. The window girls are the ugliest group of women I think I've ever seen.:yikes

That being said, the live sex shows have plenty of hotties. And the clubs, restaurants, cafes, and streets are full of some of the most beautiful and attractive ladies anywhere on earth.;)

The coffee shops were my downfall.....I forget to leave.:skull