WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Registration Question

SmilesPerGallon

Reaction score
Looking at buying an enclosed trailer in Texas. How does registration work if I were to register in either CA or AZ? Taxes paid to register in new state based on Texas sale price?

Also, any body heading from Texas back to So Cal or AZ soon? $$$

Thanks!

Scott4593

Reaction score
Looking at buying an enclosed trailer in Texas. How does registration work if I were to register in either CA or AZ? Taxes paid to register in new state based on Texas sale price?

Also, any body heading from Texas back to So Cal or AZ soon? $$$

Thanks!
Az has no sales tax on private party transfers
California will tax based on county tax and reported sales price

Your ad here

Reaction score
Register it in Arizona. California has a "service fee" every five (5) years for a permanent trailer plate. In Arizona you pay just one (1) fee.

Scott4593

Reaction score
From my experiences : California PTI registration is $10 every 5 years
Arizona is $160 and it’s good as long as you own it

adam909

Reaction score
i just got done doing this. At dmv when you register the trailer you put down how much you paid or how much you want them to think you paid for the trailer then taxes are based off that.

Scott4593

Reaction score
If you plan to keep the trailer for life and you are younger Arizona may be cheaper but I can’t keep any vehicle that long

California hasn’t raised the PTI fees in over 20 years for whatever that is worth 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If your tow vehicle is Ca plated I'd just plate the trailer in Ca to avoid any hassles later on.

SmilesPerGallon

Reaction score
Update: Trailer comes with no title, only comes with paperwork to apply for title in new state. Anyone have experience with this in either state?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Update: Trailer comes with no title, only comes with paperwork to apply for title in new state. Anyone have experience with this in either state?

Is it new? If so, that paperwork sounds like a manufacture's statement or origin (MSO). Very routine… I’d register it in AZ, personally, but it’s cheaper in CA believe it or not.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is it new? If so, that paperwork sounds like a manufacture's statement or origin (MSO). Very routine… I’d register it in AZ, personally, but it’s cheaper in CA believe it or not.
Lol, I ain't giving you a chance to light me up for having it hooked to my white plated car😂😂

boatpi

Reaction score
And it will need a VIN inspection since it has no title and it from out of state.

Singleton

Reaction score
Just did this with my new enclosed.
AZ made it easy and I was in and out of DMV within 15 minutes.

Singleton

Reaction score
If your tow vehicle is Ca plated I'd just plate the trailer in Ca to avoid any hassles later on.
That is more of an issue with boat trailers then enclosed IMO.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
And it will need a VIN inspection since it has no title and it from out of state.
Why would it need a vin inspection when it has an MSO and a vin plate? Sounds like he’s buying a brand new trailer from a manufacturer/dealer

boatpi

Reaction score
In many states, Nevada being one, unless sold new by a dealer IN State, an MSO AND VIN inspection is needed.

adam909

Reaction score
Just got done doing this exact same thing in CA. Bought a manufactured trailer in arizona. Brought trailer to california. Took the new trailer to DMV with new paper work (Certificat of Origin) they will help you fill out the paper work. Write in how much you want them to think you paid for the trailer. DMV also has to look at the trailer and confirm VIN numbers. Youll pay your taxes/Reg. off your amount you told them you paid, youll recieve your new plates. This will also title the new trailer. Of course there is like a 27 dollor fee for a new title that DMV will make for you.

Last edited: