WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyota Hilux 😎

Backlash

Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread on an old truck I have had for years. Here is the Reader's Digest version.....

The truck is a 1988 Toyota Hilux (Pickup truck for those who aren't familiar with that term), with a standard cab, short bed. It has the 3.0 V6 with a 5 speed transmission, and is 4wd. My father purchased this truck brand new off the dealership showroom floor in 1988 and maintained it with an open checkbook the entire time he owned it. It has been garage kept it's entire life and has never been in an accident. As a teenager, I grew up with this truck, traveling all over Central and South Florida. It spent weekends offroading and cruising the sand at Daytona Beach. He kept it for years and clocked over 100K problem-free miles on it. When he mentioned he was buying a new truck to replace this "Old" truck, I mentioned how much I loved the truck and how many fond memories I had with him and this Toyota. That was all it took. Two weeks later, it arrived here in SoCal compliments of an enclosed Reliable Transport.

I used the truck and cleaned every single inch of it, removing stuff I didn't like, while preserving the things I wanted to keep. I lost the 235 sized tires and chrome/gold rims, and exchanged them for some aluminum wheels and 31" BFG Mud Terrain tires. It looked SOOOOO much better with that simple change. I drove it all over SoCal and put another 40K miles on it. Eventually I ran into a head-gasket issue, so that was addressed. That was about the time the "Prerunner" craze started, and I jumped into that scene as much as my wallet and psycho ex-wife allowed. I worked side jobs, squirreled away recycling money and did whatever I could to put together an upgraded suspension on the truck.

I didn't want to skip many corners, so I went with the best I could afford, and put in a call to Total Choas Fabrication. I ordered one of their first "Caddy Kits" and installed it all myself in the garage. They were pushing RaceRunner or Fox shocks at the time, but I love blue. So I went with King instead. The front end was dialed in and I added as much "Pretty" to it as I dared, without taking away from the look of the truck.

I continued driving, waxing, polishing and working on things, and started to pick up some more parts to address the rear end. It responded like a wooden donkey cart with those stiff factory springs. I drove it and as life goes, "Life happens."

I went through a nasty and expensive divorce, and the truck got pushed aside simply due to lack of funds and priorities. I pulled the truck out of the garage at my soon to be old house and set it aside with boxes of parts.

So here we are. The truck is still garaged, but at the new digs. I've picked up other projects over the years, and this has sat covered, and forgotten in a dark garage. Well, it's time to get back on it.

More to follow.....

Last edited:

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I protest. I cannot read 5+ paragraphs without any photos. My mind just doesn't work that way. Sorry. Looking forward to, "More to follow" or as I might call it, "Eventually worthy of following."

Xring01

Reaction score
With out pictures… this is his imagination truck…
Just go with it. Its the holidays, and if we pop his bubble, who knows what could happen.

Just saying.

Backlash

Reaction score
With out pictures… this is his imagination truck…
Just go with it. Its the holidays, and if we pop his bubble, who knows what could happen.

Just saying.
It's doesn't say "Speed" on the side!

😜

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread on an old truck I have had for years. Here is the Reader's Digest version.....

The truck is a 1988 Toyota Hilux (Pickup truck for those who aren't familiar with that term), with a standard cab, short bed. It has the 3.0 V6 with a 5 speed transmission, and is 4wd. My father purchased this truck brand new off the dealership showroom floor in 1988 and maintained it with an open checkbook the entire time he owned it. It has been garage kept it's entire life and has never been in an accident. As a teenager, I grew up with this truck, traveling all over Central and South Florida. It spent weekends offroading and cruising the sand at Daytona Beach. He kept it for years and clocked over 100K problem-free miles on it. When he mentioned he was buying a new truck to replace this "Old" truck, I mentioned how much I loved the truck and how many fond memories I had with him and this Toyota. That was all it took. Two weeks later, it arrived here in SoCal compliments of an enclosed Reliable Transport.

I used the truck and cleaned every single inch of it, removing stuff I didn't like, while preserving the things I wanted to keep. I lost the 235 sized tires and chrome/gold rims, and exchanged them for some aluminum wheels and 31" BFG Mud Terrain tires. It looked SOOOOO much better with that simple change. I drove it all over SoCal and put another 40K miles on it. Eventually I ran into a head-gasket issue, so that was addressed. That was about the time the "Prerunner" craze started, and I jumped into that scene as much as my wallet and psycho ex-wife allowed. I worked side jobs, squirreled away recycling money and did whatever I could to put together an upgraded suspension on the truck.

I didn't want to skip many corners, so I went with the best I could afford, and put in a call to Total Choas Fabrication. I ordered one of their first "Caddy Kits" and installed it all myself in the garage. They were pushing RaceRunner or Fox shocks at the time, but I love blue. So I went with King instead. The front end was dialed in and I added as much "Pretty" to it as I dared, without taking away from the look of the truck.

I continued driving, waxing, polishing and working on things, and started to pick up some more parts to address the rear end. It responded like a wooden donkey cart with those stiff factory springs. I drove it and as life goes, "Life happens."

I went through a nasty and expensive divorce, and the truck got pushed aside simply due to lack of funds and priorities. I pulled the truck out of the garage at my soon to be old house and set it aside with boxes of parts.

So here we are. The truck is still garaged, but at the new digs. I've picked up other projects over the years, and this has sat covered, and forgotten in a dark garage. Well, it's time to get back on it.

More to follow.....

One of my favorite trucks of all time! Being an '88 it is straight axle front end correct? I do prefer a 22r with 20r heads over the V6 but that's just me!

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
One of my favorite trucks of all time! Being an '88 it is straight axle front end correct? I do prefer a 23r with 20r heads over the V6 but that's just me!
Thank you I like this body style too! This is the first year of the IFS. I too probably would have preferred the 4 cylinder, but that's not how this baby came.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Thank you I like this body style too! This is the first year of the IFS. I too probably would have preferred the 4 cylinder, but that's not how this baby came.

I was thinking 88 was the first year of IFS after I posted. Nevertheless cool truck!!

I want a straight axle with a 22r! Actually what I really want is @bonesfab Toyota with the LS swap.. that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!

I have had a few 'yotas my last was a '94 extra cab 4xForce with a 22RE. Loved that truck! Should have never sold it😩

4Waters

Reaction score
Worthless pics.gif

Backlash

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay ladies, I've been swamped with other priorities. 🤣

I'll try and get some random pictures of this little lady loaded up in the next few days.

This truck has @175,000 miles on it. When I got it from my Dad, it only had about 140,000 on it. He had maintained it from day one with an open checkbook, and never missed a service. He usually kept it garaged and it only sat out occasionally when his '48 Chevy truck took up a space in the garage.

After the truck ended up in my broke ass hands, I didn't always have the funding to maintain it the way he did. I didn't abuse it by any means and tried my best to truly take care of it. My neighbors accused me of trying to wax the paint off.

I worked like a dog and did anything and everything I could do, to scrape together money for the front end build. It was my daily driver, so I had to plan ahead. Recycling everything from cardboard, to aluminum to pallets, even that started to add up. I worked side jobs on the weekends to try and squirrel away as much money as possible. When I had enough for the Total Chaos Gen 1 Caddy Kit, I jumped on it. I upgraded every part that I could on the front end and tried my best to make the install as clean as possible. I had parts powdercoated, chromed, etc. to make it pretty but still tasteful. Not only did I want it to perform well, I also wanted it to look good.

PXL_20221024_221836896.jpg

I installed a set of Sway Away torsion bars and was able to cycle the front end just shy of 14" metal to metal. The difference this made was beyond words. The truck drove and handled like it was on rails. Smooth and soft with no front end play, whatsoever!! I bought as much shock as I could afford, and put on King 2.5" triple bypasses. Chrome of course. Why? Because, that's why.

Backlash

Reaction score
I had a friend build and weld on the shock hoops which worked out great. They are tied to the frame like Matt designed, and only need a few crossovers to solidify the front of the truck.

I drove it with only the front end build, with the original fenders and stock rear leaf setup for years. I used the truck on the weekend for some side gigs, and didn't have any money leftover to do the rear half. The front rode like it was on clouds while the rear rode like a donkey cart. 🤣

I wanted to keep the rear end as a leaf spring setup because I didn't want to link the truck. I obviously didn't have the money to cage the truck in order to back-half it. The folks at Total Chaos had pretty much dialed this platform in, so I kept with their proven records. I started shopping around for leaf springs and waited til I scored a deal. I picked up a set of used Deaver Springs for $600 and drug them home. Those suckers were massive compared to the stock springs!!