WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyo vs. BFG tires

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I ran BFG's for 20yrs and recently changed to Toyo RT's on my last truck and now my new Dually. I love the Toyo RT Image1461441264.647219.jpg

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I run the Cooper Zeon LTZ in a 305/55/20 on my Chevy 2500 crewcab. The first set I got around 55k on that set of tires, the next set I got my truck tuned and only got about 35k out of those. I'm on my 3rd set and I still haven't gotten over the joy I get when I nail the gas and get that push in my lower back from my 8,000 lb truck, so I'll probably get close to 30-35k on this set. The Coopers are a pretty smooth tire, no balance issues, no alignment issues, but at the last 5000 mile they do get a little noisy. I don't know how these rate compared to the BFG's and Toyo's, but I like them.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on popular tire choices today.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details

I like the look of both listed above and plan on purchasing in either a 35 or 37 here soon.

Those running either tire, what are your likes vs. dislikes?

I will spend most of the time on road with the occasional snow or desert trip, pavement pounder mostly.

What kind of truck?? BFG or Michelin are the only tires I ever buy. It's your life and your family......cheap tires....you get what you pay for. Ever had a blow out on Rice road when you're towing and driving too fast??? I never have.....a lot of people have had blow outs and taken out a lot of innocent people.

I was in the ambulance business for 20 years. I bought new units and the first thing I did was take the crap Goodyears off and put on Michelin.

Aaron

Reaction score
Another :thumbsup for the TOYO RT. I have had the MT, AT and now the RT on my truck and so far the RT are by far the best. Very smooth ride and are wearing great so far.
Good luck, both are great tires and I m sure you won't have an issue with either

robby dmax

Reaction score
Another :thumbsup for the TOYO RT. I have had the MT, AT and now the RT on my truck and so far the RT are by far the best. Very smooth ride and are wearing great so far.
Good luck, both are great tires and I m sure you won't have an issue with either
Can you give us that have the Mt a good explanation on the difference between the two? As I am definitely torn between the two, I really like my MT but I really Don't need the aggressive tread pattern.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It all depends on actual use. If you do not wheel the truck the BFG KO2 or Toyo AT2 perform well on the street, most off road conditions (except nasty mud), they last, and they are light.

The M/T is awesome if you use it/need it. Otherwise they are heavy, louder, and will not last as long. They look bitchin though.

The R/T bridges the gap, but is still a heavy tire.

Cooper has a newer tire called the ST pro. Looks like a really solid compromise between a good on/off road tire. Without the weight.

lebel409

Reaction score
The Michelin car tires that came on my F-150 were VERY light, the Toyo has a heavier and stiffer sidewall that keeps it tracking better and better protection in unimproved roads. The 23570R18 measures 32", would be 33" if not on the ground. I think they look good and rugged, but I don't want to deal with a lift.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I've run both...BFG all terrain and Toyo MTs. I rotate them on a regular basis and for me the BFGs are much louder when they wear down. The BFGs I typically got between 40 and 45k miles. The Toyo MTs is seem to get right about 50k on each set.

I will not go back to BFG but might give the Toyo RTs a try next time around.

cmayer

Reaction score
I had talked myself out of Toyo MTs and convinced myself to try the new BFGs, but now I'm not sure.

Have had:
Original BFG AT. Ok, but wanted something different.

Wrangler duratrac: Nice tire, but only got 30k miles.

General AT2: Liked, but cupped. Likely my bad even though I did rotate and balance regularly.

Cooper AT3: Good tire, but looking for a more aggressive look.

I really like the look of the Toyo MTs, but don't need a MT. 80% highway, 10% dirt/gravel.

Tank0088

Reaction score
I have the Toyo II on my Tundra. 35x12.5 x 20. They have about 32K miles on them and are maybe half way through tread life. I have no complaints about them, work well in the rain, sand, snow, launch ramp, highway, and they look good. I also had the Toyo M/T in a 38inch and those still got about 50K miles out of them. The Nitto's are a tad bit softer so they are a little bit quitter but wear faster.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Both suck. Check out Hankook AT-M.

Taboma

Reaction score
I've been researching and reading tire reviews on TireRack for a week now. The stark contradictions in the reviews, even when comparing the same tires on almost identical trucks are driving me bat-shit crazy. :grumble:

I'm inclined to go with the BFG TA KOII, simply because I was happy with the previous generation I ran forever on various trucks and always had good luck. What I am struggling with is the extra $100 a tire if I step up just one size.

Or maybe I'll just save my crushed beer can money for a new Raptor, assuming they ever release them. My neighbor has been involved in all the new Raptor desert testing and although sworn to secrecy, I can see it in his grin and eyes, he's been having a lot of fun at work !! :D

Seems on here and of course other forums, whenever the subject of these factory "special Vehicles" comes up, somebody always chimes in that you could build one for less. I've enjoyed a lot of built-up cars over the years, never, ever have I built one for less (Not all things considered) and it seems like I've always ended up chasing some obscure problem. I've come to have a great deal of respect for factory engineering and the huge amount of research and actual field testing they perform.

So if anybody out there knows how I can build my 2012 F-150 EB 4x4 Screw into a Raptor, or relative equal, I'd sure like to know how and where :D

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I've been researching and reading tire reviews on TireRack for a week now. The stark contradictions in the reviews, even when comparing the same tires on almost identical trucks are driving me bat-shit crazy. :grumble:

I'm inclined to go with the BFG TA KOII, simply because I was happy with the previous generation I ran forever on various trucks and always had good luck. What I am struggling with is the extra $100 a tire if I step up just one size.

Or maybe I'll just save my crushed beer can money for a new Raptor, assuming they ever release them. My neighbor has been involved in all the new Raptor desert testing and although sworn to secrecy, I can see it in his grin and eyes, he's been having a lot of fun at work !! :D

Seems on here and of course other forums, whenever the subject of these factory "special Vehicles" comes up, somebody always chimes in that you could build one for less. I've enjoyed a lot of built-up cars over the years, never, ever have I built one for less (Not all things considered) and it seems like I've always ended up chasing some obscure problem. I've come to have a great deal of respect for factory engineering and the huge amount of research and actual field testing they perform.

So if anybody out there knows how I can build my 2012 F-150 EB 4x4 Screw into a Raptor, or relative equal, I'd sure like to know how and where :D

A few bolt ons. Icon suspension, wheels, tires, and you will have a very capable truck. Tire Rack reviews are a waste of time. Don't read them. Just like Amazon reviews.

Taboma

Reaction score
A few bolt ons. Icon suspension, wheels, tires, and you will have a very capable truck. Tire Rack reviews are a waste of time. Don't read them. Just like Amazon reviews.

OK, so reading reviews is a bad thing :D Guess that explains my frustration :grumble:

I'll check out the Icon suspension, like anything Kustom (RDP sp) the trick is finding the right shop before you've tossed away your life savings in the bad one :yikes

I've got an ORW and 4 Wheel parts close by, worth considering or is it better to seek out a small more custom shop ? The main thing is getting credible feedback from somebody who's already been there done that. ---- AKA, reviews :yikes

Runs2rch

Reaction score
OK, so reading reviews is a bad thing :D Guess that explains my frustration :grumble:

I'll check out the Icon suspension, like anything Kustom (RDP sp) the trick is finding the right shop before you've tossed away your life savings in the bad one :yikes

I've got an ORW and 4 Wheel parts close by, worth considering or is it better to seek out a small more custom shop ? The main thing is getting credible feedback from somebody who's already been there done that. ---- AKA, reviews :yikes

I have built quite a few vehicles. It really comes down to qualifying what you want and how you intend to use the truck. Reviews are not always bad, it just seems on those sites you get 5 stars or 1 star. People that have no clue about tires and write this mud terrain is loud. Oh and my mileage went down when I put 35's on.

It always comes down to building a combination that performs.

Taboma

Reaction score
" It really comes down to qualifying what you want and how you intend to use the truck. "

This, being the key as well as the tricky part, what aspect you're willing to compromise in order to make gains in another area. Like many now-a-days, I enjoy using my truck for everything.

Mostly highway, long trips to the lake, short to the market, boat and toy towing, but when I'm getting my teeth rattled loose towing my RZR up to my ranch over washboard sections, that's when I find myself wondering --- gee, I wonder how a Raptor or off-road suspension would handle this section ?

I have no desire to go barn storming across any whoops, I have no desire to beat my rig to death or negotiating rocky canyons. I also won't be hill climbing any dunes with it. I've read reviews that state that on-road ride and handling quality can be improved with certain after market components, I can only guess this equates to a more pleasant off-road experience as well.

But, I don't want to compromise my ability to tow without dragging my tail around either, although I don't tow anything more than a modest 6K Lbs.

So sure, I look at the Raptors, despite being on this rock a considerable length of time, I've still got a kid living inside me, so I find the look appealing. I'm attracted to what I'm guessing are fairly well thought out and engineered compromises. Since my 12' has only 24K miles, I find myself curious if I can accomplish something similar with what I've already got and end up with a trouble-free package and sure, money is always a factor.

Perhaps you know, does anything ride well over a washboard road at a reasonable speed --- like towing speed ?? Realizing of course I'm getting jerked around by the trailer as well, so maybe I'm chasing Unicorns here :D

I mean other than my RZR, which amazes me how well it soaks that shit up, washboard, what washboard :bowdown:

The only thing I know about the noise of mud tires is how I can no longer hear my radio when they go WA-WA ---- WA-WA past me down the freeway :grumble:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Taboma,

In my experience, there has been nothing like the Raptor....and I'm a Chevy guy.

Without going into too much detail, it's the least expensive race truck built for the road.

Trying to convert a regular F150 into a Raptor is not just throwing some suspension and tires on it, there are thousands of hours and millions of $ in design in it.

Sure you CAN make something much more bad ass, but within reasonable pricing, it's a pretty decent rig.

It's not a Trophy Truck, or a Pre Runner Support Truck (half as bad ass), but it's also half the entry fee of the cheapest entry in that world.:thumbsup

Taboma

Reaction score
You'd think with my neighbor being sub-contracted by Ford for Raptor design and testing I'd know more --- not the case, he's so bound up by non-disclosures whenever I mention anything I've read, he goes all poker face on me :cool --- well except the big grin :D Have learned a lot of work is being done to make them sound right as well as run right.

Guess I'll hold off any mods and focus on chasing down this recent vibration issue I mentioned previously in this thread. This vibration becomes a little obvious above 72, more so at 75, but gets really irritating at 80. Doesn't seem to matter if it's on concrete freeway or asphalt two lane. I know previously I could pass cars at 90 and it was butter smooth. Guess I'll try getting these OEM Pirelli ATRs road-force balanced, start there before I hit up the Ford dealer. Other option is new TA KOs and dump the Pirellis.