WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Took the boat in for service

Blackhawk15

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just had a quick question. Last June My Father in Law bought a 2010 Conquest Top Cat 2 with 10 hours on it. The previous owner had taken it in for service right before he bought it. We used the boat quite a bit last summer but it really seemed a bit under powered. It has a 8.2 430hp motor. The boat really struggled out of the hole and we were only getting about 60mph out of it tops. We tried changing the prop and that helped it plane quicker but not much. With the new prop we lost about 5mph. So last weekend he decided to take it in for service. He ended up taking it to prestige in Havasu. The called him and said that the boat had 16 quarts of oil in the motor, which leads me to believe that whoever did the last service dropped the ball during the oil change. How many quarts should this motor have, thinking maybe 8 and they never drained it before putting the new oil in? Would having that amount of oil in the motor affect the performance? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Markus

minijeep

Reaction score
reverse hydolock? lol but to answer the question 7 to 8 qtrs. depending on which version.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
During the dyno break in on the new motor built for my Southwind, Larry dropped the fill from 10 quarts oil in the pan to 8 and it gained 30HP. Still maintained good pressure.
I would venture having 16 qts in you 8.2 was an issue.:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That would create an incredible amount of windage. I would not be surprised if the boat feels like you picked up 50hp or more now that the oil is @ the correct level. Im suprised it was not smoking due to oil making its way places it shouldn't, that is super over-filled. That being said...

-You obviously do not check your oil before you head out for the day, do you?! :D

Blackhawk15

Reaction score
That would create an incredible amount of windage. I would not be surprised if the boat feels like you picked up 50hp or more now that the oil is @ the correct level. Im suprised it was not smoking due to oil making its way places it shouldn't, that is super over-filled. That being said...

-You obviously do not check your oil before you head out for the day, do you?! :D

Always seemed full. lol

Icky

Reaction score
Is it even possible for that much to be in there ? That's quite a bit more

Aaron

Reaction score
Markus, glad you got it figured out.
See you guys at the river!

TRAVISD

Reaction score
I am sure it can hold that much, however probably wasn't circulating very well.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'd rather be a half a quart low than be over full by a half...

I was thinking more along the lines of I would rather be filled to the top of the valve covers vs. being 8 qts low;):D

I check my fluids religiously as I don't like surprises or warring buzzers.:cool

Dettom

Reaction score
I would venture to say that Chris and crew over at Prestige will set you on the right path. I would take whatever they tell you as gospel. I think your motor will circulate properly now. If it's still sluggish, you got other issues.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Is it even possible for that much to be in there ? That's quite a bit more

Oil level was probably close to the centerline of the crank[emoji15]. Aerating the oil from the crank spinning in it would be my concern. That could have done some damage.

Was the oil pressure always consistent? Did the gauge fluctuate at all?

Blackhawk15

Reaction score
Had the boat out a couple weeks ago and it ran like a top!!!!! Planed without any issues and gained 8-10 mph on the top end. The boat currently still has a 22p that we put on last year when we were trying to figure out why it wouldn't plane. Might go back to the 24p that it originally came with. Much happier motor with only 8 quarts of oil. the motor was definitely drowning with 16 quarts of oil!!!! looking forwardc to a great summer, in what feels like a brand new boat, power wise anyway!!!!:thumbup: