WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking of Moving to South Florida for Work

River Runner

Reaction score
I currently Live in Yorba Linda on Half Acre, I have an amazing house and great neighbors. I have 4 and 6 year old daughters and Beautiful wife (Born and Raised in SoCal and the River). I am being offered an unbelievable rare opportunity for a position in Miami, that would take me 8-10 additional years to reach at any other company. I wouldn't have to move for a year, possibly 2. I know nothing about Miami, spent 2 days there, wasn't thrilled with it, but I love Key West. Who on here has made the move? who on here has some pros and cons that they maybe able to help me with? who here would make this move? Also any suggestions on best places to live in south Florida, preferably on a lake, i would probably take my boat. for context I am 37, I am Sr. PM for Design and Construction at a Real Estate Development Company and I am being offered to be the successor in Miami to the Head of Design of Construction. Additionally, if i do not take the position and decide to stay in SoCal I have a contract through June 2023 with them then I would need to find a new gig.

Jim

Reaction score
OK,..... you asked right ?
100% pass.
if it sounds to good to be true.....
Miami area has the highest real estate prices, and greatest appreciation in the country.
Yes, higher than San Fran.
Did I mention crime rate ?
House on a lake??? How many millions you got? Cash of course.....
Of course, not gonna listen to me ?
Leave her and the kids at home for the 1st 6 months. get an AirBnB.
Scope everything out for yourself. Get a referred local realtor.
DO not make this huge jump blindly.
Do your due diligence..... twice.
If it sounds to good to be true........

Jim

Reaction score
Still need more, I know a Realtor, in the biz 30+ years. She covers the east coast of Fla from St. Augustine down to Lauderdale. Not miami but she surely know speople.
If you want a name & ### let me know.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Key West - if you carry a mortgage on your home, the cost of the required property insurance is a big number. Not sure about how that runs in other areas of south FL.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Does the wife work? What will she be doing?
Kids are young so I don't think that is a huge issue.

If it were me, I'd pull the trigger, rent the YL house, and rent in FL. If I didn't like it, I'd use the newly acquired title for a new job in California, and be out $10-$20k on the move which would probably be offset by no state sales tax while I worked in FL.

Hammer

Reaction score
I
I currently Live in Yorba Linda on Half Acre, I have an amazing house and great neighbors. I have 4 and 6 year old daughters and Beautiful wife (Born and Raised in SoCal and the River). I am being offered an unbelievable rare opportunity for a position in Miami, that would take me 8-10 additional years to reach at any other company. I wouldn't have to move for a year, possibly 2. I know nothing about Miami, spent 2 days there, wasn't thrilled with it, but I love Key West. Who on here has made the move? who on here has some pros and cons that they maybe able to help me with? who here would make this move? Also any suggestions on best places to live in south Florida, preferably on a lake, i would probably take my boat. for context I am 37, I am Sr. PM for Design and Construction at a Real Estate Development Company and I am being offered to be the successor in Miami to the Head of Design of Construction. Additionally, if i do not take the position and decide to stay in SoCal I have a contract through June 2023 with them then I would need to find a new gig.
I'd take it. the title of Head of Design of Construction will open more doors in the future if it doesn't pan out. YOLO.

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
I know a Guy that did exactly this same thing twenty years ago.
Exact

He's now flying around in his own private Jet and has become a huge success at redeveloping shit properties all around the country.

You need to measure Risk and Reward and only you can do this, most of the negative will come from those that are risk adverse....

Your only 37 you got time to bob and weave.

I have spent a lot of time in that area its a boaters dream the summers are no worse than the river except for the humidity but after a while your body gets used to it.... I would get a place on the water with a dock and go for it !!

Good Luck !!

sirbob

Reaction score
There are places to like in the Miami area.

I moved 11 times for work - that’s how I rose the ranks faster than many of my peers.

Don’t fear change or opportunity.

I loved south OC - and came back after a number of years moving to other states. You can do the same.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
C-Ya to the White Courtesy phone…….

I can give a ton of info from all aspects.

First…… Where exactly is the company based? Miami has become a general term referring to South Florida in general.

There are no decent lakes anywhere near Miami, unless it is just a water feature for local residents, such as a small water feature lake that has townhomes, subdivisions, and apts. Just so you know. It’s going to be salt water boating only or prepare for long trailering trips.

I have no idea what kind of boat you have, but more than likely it will be non functional for SoFlo boating and I suggest you sell it before you move. I’ve never seen a Hallett in Florida, as an example. A Hallett lacks scuppers which really makes them lake boats.

Do you speak Spanish? This should be a prerequisite of living in Miami, but not for Broward County which is where Fort Lauderdale is. Broward and Palm Beach counties are better than Miami Dade County in my mind. However, if that’s where work takes you, then it is what it is. If that’s the case, then areas like Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are better than average. The Brickell District is the better neighborhood downtown. Key Biscayne is very nice, but probably too expensive for those with jobs. Lol Fisher Island if you are a complete baller with unlimited income.

If you want a home with docking……. You will need more than a million. That number is increasing by the day! Prices are on FIRE right now, with no end in sight. Rents have skyrocketed to a point whereas it’s become a nightly fixture on the evening news. A typical rent increase is approx $500 to $700 per month leaving an untold amount of families unable to pay. This is because there is no shortage whatsoever of people moving to Florida.

If you buy a home……. It’s not uncommon for your home insurance to be $12,000 per year as was a topic on my news just last week, for a modest home. Home Insurance is a big deal right now because huge insurers are leaving Florida in droves. This, combined with huge property taxes, will certainly eat away at your monthly income.

But let’s look at the positives. This is the funnest and greatest place I have ever lived. I love it here. I love the boating, the live music, the events, etc. There is never a dull moment. My only regret is that I did not move here years ago.

As sad as this statement is…… it is true. The more money you have…… the more you will like Florida. If you are financially struggling…… this is not the place.

The amount of construction going on is off the charts. The state bird should be The Crane! There everywhere. It would be easy to stay employed in that field. My wife defends highrise builders and has more clients than you can shake a stick at. She also on the board for NAWIC. National Women in Construction. She is a board certified construction attorney amongst many other certifications.

I gotta run. I am happy to answer any questions.

Tank

Reaction score
I didn’t read all the responses but Miami?

Pass. Might as well move to Los Angeles.

Miami is a nice place to visit fir a weekend. Live there? Fuuuuuuck that. Traffic is insane, crime 3 blocks off the beach is bad. It congested, hot, expensive, bougey and ghetto at the same time.

Hard pass living there.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
My son just built his home in Miami they enjoy it plenty of events on weekends my grandson is 2 years old they also spend time in Fargo nd

traquer

Reaction score
Good buddy of mine 10 years ago was offered a $300k job in Miami, up from $150k he was making in OC. He was single and moved in a heartbeat. Soon as he got there he rented a mini penthouse and bought some toys. 8 months later he got laid off due to company troubles not related to him. Sucked for him but he didn't have much cash saved that would offer him a cushion.

Do your own research but I'd move there alone and rent first for 1-2 months. Then move the family later and rent, and rent out the YL place

River Runner

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great info. Company is operates out of west palm beach. The first project i'd be working on is Miami, but i dont have to be there everyday. Like most you have said i think its a no brainer. I would rent my place in YL. I could really live anywhere between Miami and West Palm. Fort Lauderdale might be the best option. Again i appreciate all the opinion and info.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
So the position is with the same company you already work for? I’m sure you can find a place to live there that will work for you and the family. Good luck.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

Miami is a nice place to visit fir a weekend. Live there? Fuuuuuuck that. Traffic is insane, crime 3 blocks off the beach is bad. It congested, hot, expensive, bougey and ghetto at the same time.

Hard pass living there.

You are correct, but it’s not enough reason not to use Miami as an opportunity to relocate. While already having guaranteed employment, will give the time and opportunity to see what other opportunities there are.

I relocated to Florida for my wife’s work. I sold my business and followed her career. South Florida was not our first stop. My wife had to walk away from a firm she had worked for many years, in order for us to live in SoFlo. They did not want to open a Fort Lauderdale office. My wife did a lateral move into a statewide firm from a national firm. It would have never happened if we had not already been Florida.

Just to settle the curiosity, our first stop was Orlando Florida. It actually ended up being a blessing for me because my first friend moved for his wife’s law career too. He was a delivery captain and could live anywhere. He was blown away when I also had a license. This first friendship jump started my Florida Captain career. He knew every broker, dealer, commercial opportunity. I could go on. Point is, I did not want to move to Orlando. But that gave us the opportunity to fine tune where we wanted to live. I actually enjoyed Orlando, but only because I could afford to live large! Lol When I watched the backdrop on the local news stations broadcasts, that was my actual view.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great info. Company is operates out of west palm beach. The first project i'd be working on is Miami, but i dont have to be there everyday. Like most you have said i think its a no brainer. I would rent my place in YL. I could really live anywhere between Miami and West Palm. Fort Lauderdale might be the best option. Again i appreciate all the opinion and info.

I wonder if they’ll give you a contract that binds them for X amount of time (years) and gives you a golden parachute should they have to lay you off. These are standard for some jobs/industries and would be valuable given you’ll relocate across country with your family.

Good luck!

Tank

Reaction score
You are correct, but it’s not enough reason not to use Miami as an opportunity to relocate. While already having guaranteed employment, will give the time and opportunity to see what other opportunities there are.

I relocated to Florida for my wife’s work. I sold my business and followed her career. South Florida was not our first stop. My wife had to walk away from a firm she had worked for many years, in order for us to live in SoFlo. They did not want to open a Fort Lauderdale office. My wife did a lateral move into a statewide firm from a national firm. It would have never happened if we had not already been Florida.

Just to settle the curiosity, our first stop was Orlando Florida. It actually ended up being a blessing for me because my first friend moved for his wife’s law career too. He was a delivery captain and could live anywhere. He was blown away when I also had a license. This first friendship jump started my Florida Captain career. He knew every broker, dealer, commercial opportunity. I could go on. Point is, I did not want to move to Orlando. But that gave us the opportunity to fine tune where we wanted to live. I actually enjoyed Orlando, but only because I could afford to live large! Lol When I watched the backdrop on the local news stations broadcasts, that was my actual view.

Yeah. I actually love visiting Miami. It’s a big city with all the big city pros and cons. But man, I don’t think I’d want to work there and definitely wouldn’t want to live there. It reminds me of LA / Hollywood all
The same pros and cons.

I just think for people that have never been or never spent much time, it may be a shock. Like you said earlier, to do Miami right and live there, you need to be a baller.

But hey, if it works it works. If its only 2 years to check it out, fuck it. Why not? 😁👍

TCHB

Reaction score
It depends on the job and compensation package.
1. Gated community (housing)
2. private schools (education package for family)
3. If it does not work out what type of severance does it include after day 1.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I work in Miami quite a bit these days, I must say that I have really grown to like it. It has a certain flavor to it, it's diverse in a different way than CA. As long as your wife is ok with it I think it would be a good move for you. It all depends on where your headspace is with CA and your current situation. Good luck to you.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Hard pass living there.
Couldn’t agree more!

@River Runner I lived there for 4 years. I was also born & raised in SoCal and the river. PM me and I’ll give you my number, we can chat and I’ll answer whatever questions you got 👍🏻

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I once accepted a position, on shore, with my employer in Lantana FL. We lived in WPB on a fresh water canal with a pool and really liked it. It worked well for us, wife, 2 kids and our dog. All moving costs and rent were covered by my employer, into and out of FL. It was good living. I assume, like everywhere else, that area has changed. I agree with c-ya, FL is not the place for most west coast performance types of boats. The FL ICW is amazing in shore boating. When it comes to bars and restaurants with drive up docks, I don't know of an equal. But, that did not include Miami. Miami was and is a different world for many reasons.

Stroker Ace

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here , I’ve lived in Fort Lauderdale my whole life and worked in Miami for 20 years. I recently changed companies and can tell you that I’ll never go to Miami again on land. Of course the water and the boating is spectacular. The boat ramps throughout the county are usually shut down on weekends by 9 AM because there’s so many people. Dade county is an overcrowded, arrogant, expensive, non-English-speaking shit hole.
if you do decide to come definitely look in Broward and Palm Beach to live in and hope you don’t have to commute down to Miami too often

Last edited: