WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking about buying a new safe

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'm outgrowing my current safe, so I'm looking at new ones. There are some pretty solid Christmas/Black Friday deals coming up. Here are the two I'm looking at:

This first one is pretty big and heavy. It seems like a good deal on a good brand. My only worry is bad reviews.

https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS72-...-59"H,-Electronic-Lock.product.100341405.html

This next one goes on sale for $700 in a few weeks. It's slightly smaller and lighter. There aren't too many reviews but the few I've found are mostly positive.

https://www.costco.com/Sports-Afield-SA6040WP-Waterproof-Executive-Vault.product.100370947.html

What does RDP say? Any other reasonable priced brands I should look at?

satellitemike

Reaction score
I don't think you could go wrong with either, only thing to check is the return policy and if they come to pick it up if it fails, I hear the electronic lock is the weak spot, or isn't what you thought. Ive been searching online and looking for that death, divorce, or despair sale.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
If you are near the IE West Coast Safes has some real nice stuff. they are off the 15 between the 10 and 60. I got a big Browning safe from them earlier this year.

Icky

Reaction score
X2
If you are near the IE West Coast Safes has some real nice stuff. they are off the 15 between the 10 and 60. I got a big Browning safe from them earlier this year.

sintax

Reaction score
Without getting into a giant convo about pros / cons of different safes, I'd suggest spending some time and reviewing this site. It sheds a lot of light on common practices implemented by companies to make their safes look better than they really are.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/

I am a bang for your buck kind of guy, I always try to apply that to all aspects of my life. When it was time for me to buy a real safe I also went down the road you are on. I hit costco, and sam's, and did a lot of homework online for a solid 2 months.

I eventually ended up buying a safe from Sturdy Safe company ( https://www.sturdysafe.com/ ). They are a CA company, family run and operated making safes in the USA, from US made steel. They make safes to order, so you can really customize it. I added extra thick steel to mine, along with stainless steel panels around the lock. I cant even fit a credit card in my door gap, good luck getting a pry bar in there!

sirbob

Reaction score
IMG_4246.JPG

I'm a fan of a Liberty. I bought mine 20 years ago and it's been great.

I like the mechanical lock - I would not get the electric. It just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

McKay

Reaction score
Liberty or Ft Knox is the two I would recommend. Then on the electric lock you are crazy not to get one. I have 5 safes all with Sargent and Greenleaf locks and they have all been flawless over many, many years. I would personally forgo the model with the fingerprint/keypad combo. The one safe I have with one on it is kinda slow. Nothing like as slow as a mechanical lock but I can key in 6 digits much faster than it reads my fingerprint. (They might be faster now as this is probably about 8 year old model.)

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Sun Welding Safes seems to have some reasonable prices.

Thanks for all of the advice. The only problem is I'm looking to stay under $1000 but I need space for 10 long guns plus room for growth.

I don't think I'm persuasive enough to convince my wife that I need a $1200-$2000+ gun safe.

My current safe is 55"x20"x20" and it's just not cutting it for all the long guns and ammo.

I almost don't want to go to West Coast safes... because then I'll actually want a real, heavy duty safe.

white tortilla

Reaction score
I'm outgrowing my current safe, so I'm looking at new ones. There are some pretty solid Christmas/Black Friday deals coming up. Here are the two I'm looking at:

This first one is pretty big and heavy. It seems like a good deal on a good brand. My only worry is bad reviews.

https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS72-Executive-Series-Safe-43.8-CuFt,-60-min-Fire-Protection,-45"W-x-28"D-x-59"H,-Electronic-Lock.product.100341405.html

This next one goes on sale for $700 in a few weeks. It's slightly smaller and lighter. There aren't too many reviews but the few I've found are mostly positive.

https://www.costco.com/Sports-Afield-SA6040WP-Waterproof-Executive-Vault.product.100370947.html

What does RDP say? Any other reasonable priced brands I should look at?
I have the same Cannon safe that you posted in the first link. I bought it when i was a broke dick college student but its worked great. It feels cheap compared to a high dollar safe as far as interior finishes but has a ton of room and mainly just does its job keeping my shit locked up safe. I have had to change the battery out twice in the locking mechanism but it only takes about 30 seconds and a 9V battery. It remembers the code so if the battery dies you just throw a new battery in and put in your code to open it.

Foscheck

Reaction score
Another vote for Sun Welding. I have two. First one is about 30 years old. Sometimes they have used safes or customs that we’re never picked up. Can’t hurt to give them a call. You’ll never regret buying a bigger/better safe than you originally anticipated.

CRAZYEYE

Reaction score
X2 on sturdy safe! after having my browning safe cut open with ease i bought a sturdy safe.

Andy01

Reaction score
I always thought it wasn't a bad idea to run two safes. In two locations. In the event of theft or fire one may survive versus putting all of your eggs in one basket per say.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol.. Last time I posted on this I was attacked for suggesting a safe that someone with tools could defeat.. lol... Here is what I can tell you from actually responding to burglary's and or home invasion type scenario's.

Burglary (I.E. nobody home): If the assholes breaking in have enough time, and you failed to put all of your tools in the safe along with your weapons... they are getting in the safe. That is assuming you have some standard large crow bar, angle grinders, etc... If all you have in the house is couple screw drivers you have nothing to worrry about, unless they bring their own tools. BUY A SAFE THAT IS BIGGER THAN YOU NEED, and is at the top of your budget.

Home Invasion: If you are the victim of a home invasion you are more than likely a business owner, or into some questionable shit. Either way, you are an established target and the people coming after you are not your normal run of the mill thieves. They more than likely anticipate a safe, so whether you like it or not, they will be getting into it. How much you want to spend is your personal choice... I'd go with an extremely heavy, nice looking, very large safe. And keep the firearms handy outside the safe so the assholes breaking in don't have a chance to get to the safe.

Bottom line is this... If a thief has enough time and is determined, they are getting into the safe. The majority only go after easy targets and will bypass the safe if it's not unlocked. Regardless of brand, one of the best things you can do is bolt it to the ground. Make it as difficult to get to as possible. And don't just leave all your heavy tools next to it, on top of it, leaning up against it.. lol.... Time is the only thing keeping it secure.

sintax

Reaction score
Lol.. Last time I posted on this I was attacked for suggesting a safe that someone with tools could defeat.. lol... Here is what I can tell you from actually responding to burglary's and or home invasion type scenario's.

Burglary (I.E. nobody home): If the assholes breaking in have enough time, and you failed to put all of your tools in the safe along with your weapons... they are getting in the safe. That is assuming you have some standard large crow bar, angle grinders, etc... If all you have in the house is couple screw drivers you have nothing to worrry about, unless they bring their own tools. BUY A SAFE THAT IS BIGGER THAN YOU NEED, and is at the top of your budget.

Home Invasion: If you are the victim of a home invasion you are more than likely a business owner, or into some questionable shit. Either way, you are an established target and the people coming after you are not your normal run of the mill thieves. They more than likely anticipate a safe, so whether you like it or not, they will be getting into it. How much you want to spend is your personal choice... I'd go with an extremely heavy, nice looking, very large safe. And keep the firearms handy outside the safe so the assholes breaking in don't have a chance to get to the safe.

Bottom line is this... If a thief has enough time and is determined, they are getting into the safe. The majority only go after easy targets and will bypass the safe if it's not unlocked. Regardless of brand, one of the best things you can do is bolt it to the ground. Make it as difficult to get to as possible. And don't just leave all your heavy tools next to it, on top of it, leaning up against it.. lol.... Time is the only thing keeping it secure.

x2 on allllll of this.

All a bigger and beefier safe does is buy you time.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
there was a guy on Calguns who posted a pic of his new big, beautiful, expensive safe. He clearly showed it was in his garage right next to his plasma torch!!!

Icky

Reaction score
I happen to think a safe in the garage is pointless if you actually need something out of it in an emergency. Plus depending on which way your garage faces, people can see it from the street.

sintax

Reaction score
I happen to think a safe in the garage is pointless if you actually need something out of it in an emergency. Plus depending on which way your garage faces, people can see it from the street.

You obviously should not keep everything in your safe. You should keep whatever your most comfortable near by, and ready for use.

kj 0387

Reaction score
Checked out a few places mentioned here. Went with a sun welding renegade they had on Black Friday sale. Great customer service!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have a big Sun Welding safe.. Seems to do the job. Although, sometimes I forget how to open it. lol

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Ok, so I ended up between the Costco brands and nice ass safes you guys were suggesting.

The brand is Format and I went with the DL34. It's 59x40x25 and 740 lbs. It is 12 gauge all around and the door has a 6 gauge plate. There are 14 locking bolts and it is supposed to hold 54 long guns (maybe if they're all 10-22s without scopes). It's bolted down and feels solid. I added some motion activated rope lights.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I guess only time will tell how legit it is.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 10.46.37 PM.png
IMG_8583.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

JM21

Reaction score
If anyone upgrades and wants to sell their old one PM me please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I like the additional "security system" ! You need a sign on it, B&E will get your face clawed off......

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
If anyone upgrades and wants to sell their old one PM me please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have one if one of my kids doesn't want it. It is 28 wide.