WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Outboard Church lays it down this morning...

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
03DF843B-E682-4112-AF80-9D556CC6EC71.jpeg
470BB814-8048-457C-A5BB-09DF2153F32A.jpeg
6F9593B5-57D0-4AF9-91B3-06C4AC3A6BD6.png
03DF843B-E682-4112-AF80-9D556CC6EC71.jpeg
470BB814-8048-457C-A5BB-09DF2153F32A.jpeg
6F9593B5-57D0-4AF9-91B3-06C4AC3A6BD6.png
Oroville afterbay:
21’ MTR Cougar, The Canoe, ran 122.44 mph in a single engine Outboard....
That was the first pass of the day.
DBR 300X at 7000 rpm,32 pitch worked Hoss 3 blade, 1.62, 6.49% slip, 122.44 mph.
This boat was outlawed from the Parker Enduro. Too bad, I think you all would have liked to see it run. It is a special Outboard.
Big Thanks to Wild Bill Smith, crew chief, and Joe and Dave of DBR.

Check out the Outboard Church forum for more about the run. Page 38

Attachments

• A4CA28ED-D960-48A4-955B-53A0A5F309E0.png
    A4CA28ED-D960-48A4-955B-53A0A5F309E0.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
So cool. That is a sweet running machine. Still don't understand why there is no Unlimited Outboard class for you at the enduro. Would be great to have you out there.

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
98413B33-5155-4B9F-8644-09414B98077E.png
So cool. That is a sweet running machine. Still don't understand why there is no Unlimited Outboard class for you at the enduro. Would be great to have you out there.

Considering the Nordic has 4 times the horsepower, you’d think my 372 HP would be acceptable...They said I was too fast. WTF?? I thought it was a race...

Attachments

• 61A7EC4C-9241-4788-9EC5-DC7A412A9047.jpeg
    61A7EC4C-9241-4788-9EC5-DC7A412A9047.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 130

RCDave

Reaction score
Now that is one fast Cougar. What a ride!!

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Yeah I thought is was a race as well!
When Dave ran it that year and opened up our class thats when I decided to go all in and build this monster!
Only to be told they wouldn’t allow it to run over 100 miles an hour and that they even wanted to drive my boat to make sure it was safe? I was like really let me drive the Nordic and you can drive mine, no fucking way is anyone except who I allow going to drive my boat, never heard of anything thing like that in my life...it was a turn off for me and I decided to skip it...
04B59F5E-E7E4-4CAB-B923-2D8F352D42F8.jpeg
AE84B4CB-D3B3-4B51-A509-B46A11F91305.jpeg
F0BCED06-FDDD-48EF-987C-AC7067825A8C.jpeg

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
92FB7B73-AF27-445D-A261-E26ECE5C8C09.jpeg

When Dave ran it that year and opened up our class thats when I decided to go all in and build this monster!
Only to be told they wouldn’t allow it to run over 100 miles an hour and that they even wanted to drive my boat to make sure it was safe? I was like really let me drive the Nordic and you can drive mine, no fucking way is anyone except who I allow going to drive my boat, never heard of anything thing like that in my life...it was a turn off for me and I decided to skip it...
View attachment 679144 View attachment 679145 View attachment 679146

The twin ram steering looks insane. I’d like to drive it and compare the two...very similar, but very different. Keep the beast, I’ll keep mine, DBR brothers forever!

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
Yeah man, it’s stiff to steer and I think it’s possible that I need to use that bleeder, I was thinking about adding an electric boost pump. Regardless it’s tight at speed and you can turn it no problem.
For sure this setup is redundant and well joe built it for me so it’s done right by someone who knows his shit!
DBR bros!! Hahaha sweet!

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
A93047DF-C8EC-4DAF-9048-4BB70DFD05CC.jpeg
We are planning our second test session. We need to experiment with some 34 pitch blades...the DBR will pull them and the numbers should go up. Stay tuned, it’s getting interesting at the Church !

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 679144 View attachment 679145 View attachment 679146

I wasn't the guy really in charge of the rules.. but I know we opened up some of the OB Classes when I had it. I think what happened to you with the "let me drive it" deal was after I was done with the race and the following year?

I do know do to our insurance at the time (APBA) we weren't limited by a speed limit, but rather a 100 mph "avg" lap speed. Which honestly is flat hauling ass, you'd have to be running close to a buck twenty in the straights to hit that by the time you factored in scrubbed speeds in the turns etc..

Honestly that whole thing was a giant pain in the ass, and if I could take it all back and never do it, I'd love that part of my life back.

RD

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
RD,
You took on a monumental project hosting the Enduro...
The rules committee outlawed my Cougar AND the 1350 Nordic...both for potential excessive speed capabilities. The thing that irritates me most is the Nordic showed up with the 1350 and told the rules committee to “pound sand, we are running the big engine” .... and the committee folded like a chaise lounge because they were intimidated by the sponsorship contributions they would lose.
So, I lost all respect for the committee and stopped participating in the race, even though we were big fans and Past winners of the 2012 Enduro. Also, spending 25k building a new boat that never got to race was a pisser...
Now, the Church is focused on building the fastest single and twin Outboards in the country. The next Church creation is a 32’ Doug Wright twin...hanging the engines in Havasu next week. See you all on the water !

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
RD,
The rules committee outlawed my Cougar AND the 1350 Nordic...both for potential excessive speed capabilities. The thing that irritates me most is the Nordic showed up with the 1350 and told the rules committee to “pound sand, we are running the big engine” .... and the committee folded like a chaise lounge because they were intimidated by the sponsorship contributions they would lose.
So, I lost all respect for the committee and stopped participating in the race, even though we were big fans and Past winners of the 2012 Enduro. Also, spending 25k building a new boat that never got to race was a pisser...
Now, the Church is focused on building the fastest single and twin Outboards in the country. The next Church creation is a 32’ Doug Wright twin...hanging the engines in Havasu next week. See you all on the water !
That sir.... will be a BAD BITCH.....

(genuflecting as I respect the church)................

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD,

As you are aware I didn't have too much to do with the rules of the 336.. I took my stab at how I would do it, and spent quite a few hours with JJ Gibbs (Thank you for that again JJ) trying to put together what I / We thought would resemble a true outlaw race like the original Enduro was only to be shut down at every single turn by politics and bullshit.

What I can say (and will stand behind) is I did all the fund raising for my race, and the rules guys in any of the three didn't really have any connection to the funds. So what I can say is if they allowed something it wasn't do to a loss of sponsorship, because the two were run independently of each other.

When I ran the race it was self funded so 100% (actually over 100%) of the entry fees went back to the racers in the form of prize money. If we lost a sponsor we would've just used a portion of the entry fees as had been done in the past. In short if they made that decision, I don't think it was because of sponsorship money.. Although I have no doubt there was some political things going on there.

The year I tried to postpone the race and ultimately made the decision to tell Ross to have at it, 3 of the 5 big sponsors of the race all had the dates mixed up, and had made plans that were not changeable. It would've been a disaster had I tried to go through with it which is why I backed out.. In retrospect it was the best decision I ever made.

Some days I do think about it though, and wonder if we would've kept on track and kept paying out big prize money in cash, and making it a "good time" sport again if we couldn't have brought it back to it's former glory.. I get nostalgic and think "Screw it, lets self sanction and insure and put the race on that I want too..." On those days I go back and read the hate mail I got from some of the people that we were trying to help and it puts things right back into perspective.. LOL

RD

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
AFB4B7F7-43D9-4C78-97FE-0D61FC540CA9.jpeg
B8B6B82E-B0C5-458B-9CB2-CCD4562D910C.png
RD,
You did bring back a sense of decency to the race that had been lost. You gave your all all unselfishly, unlike prior promoters. when we won the overall in 2012, we received a $50.00 off coupon on a driving suit ! What an insult...when the first 336 you promoted went off, you gave all the money to the racers...
That was refreshing and PROVED YOU WERE LOOKING OUT FOR THE RACERS, not your personal financial gain. We respected that and so did many others. You made a difference ..your heart was in the right place...you shook up the unappreciative “status quo” that ran the race prior. I think the promotion of the race now and in the future will be better because you singlehandedly took it upon yourself to try and fix a great historical race that was being disrespected. You changed perceptions of how the race could be restored to former glory and made the future of the race a certainty.
And for that, I tip my hat to you, my friend. You are an honest man in a selfish world and you saved a great race when it was on the brink.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wish there wasn't so many politics in boat racing.. If even 60% of the racers felt like that I think we could've made it a real deal race again with larger boat counts. It was split 50/50 and honestly was a ruthless and ugly battle that still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.. LOL

RD

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I would love to see the 9 hour come back with some of the big names mixing it up with smaller guys. It would be awesome to see Eliminator, Howard, Halldic, Advantage, Mercury, etc... all field teams. Those days are gone though. I give huge props to the guys who spend their hard earned cash every year to cobble together a team and put a boat in the race. You are keeping the spirit of what was alive and are making names for yourself in the process. @RiverDave can you have someone cover and do a write up this year? It would be cool to get a bit more of a spotlight on the race instead of threads about gas disqualifications.