WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Symphony Of The Sea cruise ship? Insane!!

Tank

Reaction score
These ships just keep getting bigger and bigger but this thing is out of control. You're basically on a floating city with parks and multiple pools and activities. crazy. What's next???

1522146664_sots-s-1715.jpg
636577208861594610-TL1.jpg
AAwn5Mx.jpg
AAwn8nI.jpg
AAwnaVb.jpg
AllureofSeas1TALargeNew.jpg
aquatheater-940x620.jpg
c1370-b_1.jpg
cw-infographic-royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas.jpg
facts-symphony-of-the-seas-royal-caribbean-NEWSYMPHONY1017.jpg
home-hero-bckup_desktop-1920.jpg
navire,symphony-of-the-seas_min,1335,36442.jpg
P3840196.jpg
royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas-central-park-gallery.jpg
royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas-live-park-gallery.jpg
royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas-royal-loft-suite-gallery.jpg
royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas-theater-gallery.jpg
royal-suite-class-1.jpg
symphony%20of%20the%20seas%20balkonlu%20kabin.jpg
symphony%20of%20the%20seas%20ic%20kabin.jpg
symphony%20of%20the%20seas%20suite.jpg
Symphony_of_the_Seas_ROYAL_CARIBBEAN.png
symphony-of-the-seas.jpg
symphony-of-the-seas_2816.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If I ever win the super lotto, I'm renting that bitch to have a week long RDP rage!

That is one sick fucking ship, I would love to spend a week on it, Royal Caribbean does shit right!

sirbob

Reaction score
That is ridiculous !

How do they even keep that thing afloat?

sirbob

Reaction score
If I ever win the super lotto, I'm renting that bitch to have a week long RDP rage!

That is one sick fucking ship, I would love to spend a week on it, Royal Caribbean does shit right!

And thats exactly how lottery winners wake up 2 years later broke! ;-)

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You either love cruises or hate them with a passion, lol.

This is pretty much the truth...

Beautiful boat though, it's absolutely amazing that demand is so high for being locked aboard a boat on someone else's schedule that they can build something this extravagant.

To each their own.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I've been on enough cruises with 6k people.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

H2O

Reaction score
You either love cruises or hate them with a passion, lol.

In my travel business, I used to tell people who asked: If you like Vegas you will probably like a cruise. (yeah I know, plenty of differences, but the analogy always seemed to work)

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I’m not a Huge fan of cruises. Taken my fair share. I just don’t like crowds and cruises are full of crowds. I just marvel at the design and build of something like this and would love to actually just check it out. I guess if I got a balcony sweet it may be worth rollin. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
And thats exactly how lottery winners wake up 2 years later broke! ;-)

I have a buddy that won 19 million in the late 90’s. Went from living with his grandma to owning beach front houses and mansions in the hills. Owned every exotic car at the time even had Mario Andretti drive his lambo in the running of the bulls. Married his high school crush too.

He now manages a no tell motel Broke.

We had a blast while it lasted!!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have a buddy that won 19 million in the late 90’s. Went from living with his grandma to owning beach front houses and mansions in the hills. Owned every exotic car at the time even had Mario Andretti drive his lambo in the running of the bulls. Married his high school crush too.

He now manages a no tell motel Broke.

We had a blast while it lasted!!

I don't think I could do that. Had too many hard times. I'd be afraid it would just disappear as fast.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We cruised the allure of the seas a few years ago. Sister ship. It made a difference we were with an awesome group of friends.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
If I was 25, yeah, that would be the ship for me. At my age, my upcoming Viking Longboat cruise in Normandy, France , is more my style.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
As a kid we went on a few cruises on family trips. I hated them because I would always get the flu or some sickness and be miserable. I hate structured schedules when away from school or work.

This summer I got wrangled into a family cruise with my in laws. Excited to see Alaska - stressing on the cruise ship.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Why? Don't understand these cruise ships at all.

Taboma

Reaction score
My wife and I do not enjoy crowds and are socially contrarian. We're always trying to go in the opposite direction of the masses.
For many years this caused us to shy away from cruises. The thought of being stuck on a huge ship with thousands of people sounded like a script for a horror movie. With a big anniversary approaching and desiring to do something different I started discussing the idea of a cruise with a neighbor. This neighbor was well versed and well traveled in cruises as he was the west coast sales director for a major cruise line. Over many months our brief discussions continued, more and more questions, more answers but I was warming to the idea. The cruise we had in mind was Alaska, via the inside passage. Since all our previous years vacations had been on our own sports fisher or trips to the warm tropics, this would be entirely different in every aspect.
He had finally convinced me that we would not feel overwhelmed by any crowds, or be uncomfortable with dining, since we could dine in any one of several places, only one having a fixed schedule. So we booked it, yet still feeling anxious.
He was 100% right. The balcony room afforded us amazing views free of any crowds, we walked the ship's perimeter decks feeling as if we were almost alone on this huge ship. Dined in complete uncrowded comfort, in fact most of the trip I kept wondering, where the fuck is everybody ?
Our balcony afforded a view of the bridge wing, with my binoculars I could even read the gauges and speed log !! We had an amazing time and almost daily my wife commented on how relaxed and unstressed I was. In fact, I'm still forced to admit, it was probably the most relaxing, stress free vacation ever. Like I told her, the key was "Not my Boat", lol

530RL

Reaction score
If you've ever been on a cruise you'd know these are NOT the people you want to see in bathing suits! I'd take copper canyon from the late 80's early 90's any day of the week!

Try a "kid rock" cruise and/or a "kiss" cruise.

Little bit younger crowd and pretty fun.

http://www.kidrockcruise.com

http://www.thekisskruise.com

Or for that matter, if you want to re-live the 80's....

https://www.the80scruise.com

Name your debauchery, you can probably find it on a cruise.

Tank

Reaction score
My wife and I do not enjoy crowds and are socially contrarian. We're always trying to go in the opposite direction of the masses.
For many years this caused us to shy away from cruises. The thought of being stuck on a huge ship with thousands of people sounded like a script for a horror movie. With a big anniversary approaching and desiring to do something different I started discussing the idea of a cruise with a neighbor. This neighbor was well versed and well traveled in cruises as he was the west coast sales director for a major cruise line. Over many months our brief discussions continued, more and more questions, more answers but I was warming to the idea. The cruise we had in mind was Alaska, via the inside passage. Since all our previous years vacations had been on our own sports fisher or trips to the warm tropics, this would be entirely different in every aspect.
He had finally convinced me that we would not feel overwhelmed by any crowds, or be uncomfortable with dining, since we could dine in any one of several places, only one having a fixed schedule. So we booked it, yet still feeling anxious.
He was 100% right. The balcony room afforded us amazing views free of any crowds, we walked the ship's perimeter decks feeling as if we were almost alone on this huge ship. Dined in complete uncrowded comfort, in fact most of the trip I kept wondering, where the fuck is everybody ?
Our balcony afforded a view of the bridge wing, with my binoculars I could even read the gauges and speed log !! We had an amazing time and almost daily my wife commented on how relaxed and unstressed I was. In fact, I'm still forced to admit, it was probably the most relaxing, stress free vacation ever. Like I told her, the key was "Not my Boat", lol

I'll tell you what, I'm on the same page as you. We live on the beach and vacation on the beach in Key West or Hawaii or Bahamas or Catalina or go to the lake in Idaho or Havasu...Every trip we do surrounds hot / tropical / water / beach. We always laugh that are vacations are all the same thing. The one cruise (beside like the river thames cruise in Europe) I've always actually wanted to do is the Alaska cruise. Did you go summer or winter(ish)? how long, which line, and if you don't mind...How much?

H2O

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I'm on the same page as you. We live on the beach and vacation on the beach in Key West or Hawaii or Bahamas or Catalina or go to the lake in Idaho or Havasu...Every trip we do surrounds hot / tropical / water / beach. We always laugh that are vacations are all the same thing. The one cruise (beside like the river thames cruise in Europe) I've always actually wanted to do is the Alaska cruise. Did you go summer or winter(ish)? how long, which line, and if you don't mind...How much?

Hey Tank, I'll jump in on that one (I've owned a travel agency for 25 years)

The major cruise line operate May'ish through September'ish...It's just too cold and rainy off season.
For the big ships I'd go with Princess or Holland America.
If you want to do a week, you typically start in Vancouver or Seattle and end in Anchorage (or the reverse, starting in Anchorage)
Due to short season and high demand I recommend booking early.
I have a bun of clients going this summer and because we booked so early (Oct_Nov) last year, we were able to get them free unlimited drinks (called Sip and Sail) on Princess. You have to book really early to catch that deal otherwise sip and sail is like $56 pp/ per day.

Tank

Reaction score
Hey Tank, I'll jump in on that one (I've owned a travel agency for 25 years)

The major cruise line operate May'ish through September'ish...It's just too cold and rainy off season.
For the big ships I'd go with Princess or Holland America.
If you want to do a week, you typically start in Vancouver or Seattle and end in Anchorage (or the reverse, starting in Anchorage)
Due to short season and high demand I recommend booking early.
I have a bun of clients going this summer and because we booked so early (Oct_Nov) last year, we were able to get them free unlimited drinks (called Sip and Sail) on Princess. You have to book really early to catch that deal otherwise sip and sail is like $56 pp/ per day.

That's awesome! Do they realize I'll drink my ticket cost back (and I mean like, the whole cruise ticket)?? Could be dangerous for them! LOL

What's that type of week long cruise usually run?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

Princess does 10 day cruises out of SF. A balcony room is a must. The views and fresh air from the privacy of your own room more than make the extra cost worth it.

Last edited:

H2O

Reaction score
I should have mentioned it’s “Unlimited drinks” for the average person....
RDP member:cool: should be aware that the Sip and sale promotion does limit you to 15 drinks per day... probably a liability thing for princess .
I’m not in my office, I’ll post some typical prices later

Tank

Reaction score
Let’s go Tank!!

You wanna do an Alaska one? I'm totally down (if the prices aren't totally crazy). We'll have to book end of this year though it sounds like. Maybe H20 can hook us up proper ;):D

What you NEED to be doing Dave is getting Key West dialed in. I booked a house yesterday and Taylor is next door to Kelly and I. Talked to AJ (LuckyStrike) yesterday and shit needs to get booked.

What's the update on LOTO?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You wanna do an Alaska one? I'm totally down (if the prices aren't totally crazy). We'll have to book end of this year though it sounds like. Maybe H20 can hook us up proper ;):D

What you NEED to be doing Dave is getting Key West dialed in. I booked a house yesterday and Taylor is next door to Kelly and I. Talked to AJ (LuckyStrike) yesterday and shit needs to get booked.

What's the update on LOTO?

I’ll tell Stacy to get on it today, and AJ on the dick situation.

As for Alaska my father in law has that lodge up there for the Alaska fix.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There'll be no living with me if you hard-on's forget the "kid" on a group cruise.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score

I realize several others have answered many if not all of your questions. We did Princess Cruises, as said for that trip a Balcony is a must, there's just so much to see right off the ship, it's like a Disneyland adventure ride from the comfort of your room.
We also went late in the season, by late I mean mid Sept if I recall, it's been many years now. I can't speak of the other operating months, I know it's a short cruise season. But our trip was one of later season ones, many of the shops in the towns were preparing to close up for winter --- so DEALS galore, these folks wanted to make a sale !! So we spent more $$ on jewelry and knives, fun stuff, then we'd planned, but got some awesome deals.
Did some really fun side trips, helos to the glaciers, kayaking, every day was amazing. We also found it fun because each day we were in a new city with an entirely different feel and things to do. We did a week, but could have easily done two, time passed way to quickly, and pre-trip, I was worried about getting bored, not a chance.
Brought my Celestron scope, so watched bears, eagles, orcas feeding. The only regret was, we'd considered doing a week on the cruise, then a week on the train to Denali. In the end we just did the cruise, kinda fucked up.
We sailed from Vancouver, not sure how you get there now-a-days, but when we went we flew into Seattle, then bus to Vancouver. Even that was fun as the ride was scenic enough.
Cost now --- no idea now, but we got a special rate, then a free bump up to balcony thanks to my neighbor, who's now retired.
After searching destinations, I've concluded doing Alaska again would be our first choice. This time we'll do the train as well.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We'll be on this ship next year. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We've never been on a cruise but it is on our bucket list

Only been on two and will do more, but only to warm climates. Took a 7 day Mexican Riviera on Carnival (before things got a bit dicey) it was fantastic and we had a great time. Took a 7 day with Princess to Alaska in the first week of July which is supposed to be about the best time, and it did nothing but rain every day. Barely used the balcony and most of the outside boat activities were canceled, shows and scenery was okay. As far as feeling crowded, not that bad. I've been on upper decks @ 9:00pm and not a soul in sight, or having coffee as the sun comes up with a handful of friends and no one else around.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
I've got a 13 day Princess cruise booked for June 2nd. Fly from Phoenix to Fairbanks. 3 days on the ground at Denali, then pick up the ship at Anchorage.Then fly out of Vancouver. Got a balcony room on the port side. 7500 for the two of us.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Celebrity Cruise Line is my choice for big boat cruises. Great food, no upcharging necessary, no sales pitches.

We now call Princess Cruise Line the QVC Cruise Line. Want water, yep, just $3 in the lobby. Want good food, yep, just pay $30 for one of the upscale restaurants (if you can get reservations). Want to get free shopping discounts? Sure, go down into the grand ballroom with a thousand other people, and get you free discount book for the small price of $25. Nope, no more for me.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We are trying to decide which cruise to do. We have considered the Alaska cruise.

Only been on two and will do more, but only to warm climates. Took a 7 day Mexican Riviera on Carnival (before things got a bit dicey) it was fantastic and we had a great time. Took a 7 day with Princess to Alaska in the first week of July which is supposed to be about the best time, and it did nothing but rain every day. Barely used the balcony and most of the outside boat activities were canceled, shows and scenery was okay. As far as feeling crowded, not that bad. I've been on upper decks @ 9:00pm and not a soul in sight, or having coffee as the sun comes up with a handful of friends and no one else around.

Taboma

Reaction score
Celebrity Cruise Line is my choice for big boat cruises. Great food, no upcharging necessary, no sales pitches.

We now call Princess Cruise Line the QVC Cruise Line. Want water, yep, just $3 in the lobby. Want good food, yep, just pay $30 for one of the upscale restaurants (if you can get reservations). Want to get free shopping discounts? Sure, go down into the grand ballroom with a thousand other people, and get you free discount book for the small price of $25. Nope, no more for me.

Sounds like there's been a big change of policy since our Alaska cruise over ten years ago on Princess, good to know. We went to a different restaurant every night because we had the option of that or the dining room. Another neighbor and his wife take several cruises a year and have done all the various lines. Holland America seems to be their favorite now, I think because they cater to us older farts :D

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
We're not big cruise people, but we are going on the Oasis of the Seas on a cruise in the Caribbean in a few weeks. We are going with a group of friends and it should be a good time. I'm planning to not have internet on the cruise, which should be a nice forced break from being connected to things.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Speaking of internet, I paid $140 for internet service when we took Princess from Florida, through the Panama Canal, and up to Los Angeles. I spent my entire internet bank of money just trying to log on, and only got a connection once as we entered the port in Los Angeles. This was 3 years ago, and I now hear they have installed wireless routers in every room, so hopefully this issue has been resolved.
Panama Canal Cruise (539).JPG
Panama Canal Cruise (472).JPG

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

I feel your pain. Yea you can be nickled and dimed to death.
Between the all inclusive drink package and sort of wi-fi your trip just cost 20% or more.