WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starter RC car for kids

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts for a first RC car for young kids? My son is turning 6 in August and wants an RC car. I can get him a traxxis slash for a few hundred but that seems like a pretty fast and pretty darn nice car for kid to learn on. He has no clue how drive one. But I would also hate to pay $70 for some POS that's gonna get broken in the first month also. Anyone know of a good starter car for little guys?

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts for a first RC car for young kids? My son is turning 6 in August and wants an RC car. I can get him a traxxis slash for a few hundred but that seems like a pretty fast and pretty darn nice car for kid to learn on. He has no clue how drive one. But I would also hate to pay $70 for some POS that's gonna get broken in the first month also. Anyone know of a good starter car for little guys?

I got that same car for my 8 year old Son as a starter. I was also hesitant about spending the money on it but also didn't want some that wasn't going to last long. You can control the speed on the Controller until he gets use to it and then can turn it up as he gets better at it. I'm sure you will also get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it too as I did. I went and bought myself the larger battery and the speed charger as well so we could both use it...lol. Great Car for the money! I had found it on sale for $189 at Hobby People.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Call Team Associated and see what they have in stock. I paid $150 for a brushless AWD ready to run car from them. It was fun, but fast. For a 6 year old, I would stick to one you can buy at Toys R Us so he can get the hang of it first before dropping some coin on a real car.

www.teamassociated.com

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think the stadium trucks a re a good first car. Keeps the a arms and wheels protected by the body for when they clip curbs,poles,etc...

I would tell you to go 4x4 and brushless....most cars have a 50% power mode.

I have been into TV for a long time and bought my son a decent $99 hobby store mini truck. Truck was pretty quick and bomb proof but the electronics are cheap. When the receiver went out it was going to cost me 50% of the original cost to replace that as its a China price and part of the speed control.

I passed and bought him a bigger,nicer car(axial yeti)

He has a 2x4 slash and a axial scx10 as well.

He is 6.5 now and honestly better than most adults. No more speed limiters and he gives me a pretty tough run around the tracks.(punk[emoji14])

The slash is a great platform....easy to get parts and there warranty is solid if you fry a motor.

Faceaz

Reaction score
I've actually been doing some research on this too. Derek brought over some high-end Traxxis truck & left it with us for a couple weeks - triple lipo, brushless, traction control, blah, blah.. Thing was awesome & Justin actually got the hang of it pretty quick, but still too much truck. My brother is way into them with his 6 year old & he's recommending the Losi 1/24 SCTE Truck. Ready to run for under 200 bucks, we'll be going that route.

http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS00001T2

2Driver

Reaction score
I got my kid the the traxxas when he was 6. Probably too fast and a little frustrating to drive for him at first even at 50%. His buddy had a cheapo rock crawler and he want to use that more.

We still have it and used in the 4th parade. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438203216.993480.jpg

GMD

Reaction score
I got that same car for my 8 year old Son as a starter. I was also hesitant about spending the money on it but also didn't want some that wasn't going to last long. You can control the speed on the Controller until he gets use to it and then can turn it up as he gets better at it. I'm sure you will also get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it too as I did. I went and bought myself the larger battery and the speed charger as well so we could both use it...lol. Great Car for the money! I had found it on sale for $189 at Hobby People.

Can't go wrong with a Traxxas Slash. I have two of them and we beat the hell out of them.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Traxxas Slash. We have three of them. They are durable and what breaks is cheap and usually has a stronger part to fix the weak link. They have three modes on the esc including training mode you can start him out on. Plus as he gets better you can upgrade faster and faster. Get two one for you and one for him. At the least go two wheel drive vxl brushless

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Traxxas E-Revo 1/16. It has a training mode for 50% power and they're damn near indestructible. Also, turn it up to 100% and you'll get a kick out of it too. Put 2 batteries in parallel and it'll run for a long long time, especially on training mode. Then put 2 batteries in series and watch it do a backflip when you hit the gas haha.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/71074erevovxl116

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Traxxas E-Revo 1/16. It has a training mode for 50% power and they're damn near indestructible. Also, turn it up to 100% and you'll get a kick out of it too. Put 2 batteries in parallel and it'll run for a long long time, especially on training mode. Then put 2 batteries in series and watch it do a backflip when you hit the gas haha.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/71074erevovxl116

This is a great car. Spare parts are inexpensive and upgrades readily available. Local dealers will have damn near everything in stock. My son has 3 years of abuse on his and still going strong.

My 7yr old will get one for X-mas.

edit! ops wrong car.. This is the one we have. Pretty much the same car with a few upgrades and different body..

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/72074-1summit116vxl

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I got my kid one of the $40 Walmart rock crawlers. It's slow enough where he won't destroy it crashing into shit, he loved it until he lost the controller

toon

Reaction score
The standard Rustler is a good starter. My son got one at 6 and is now on to a Slash with lipo batteries and can control it really well at 8 yrs old. Still likes to drive his Rustler though because it has wheelie bars and he can keep the front wheels in the air for along time. I think they just dropped the price on the Rustler also.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
We ended up with the small Traxxas Teton. Pretty cool little car. Already broke a shock. I have a feeling my parts bill is gonna get bigger and bigger.

image.jpg

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Spend the money, I had same deliema a few months ago for my 5year old. This is what I got him. Just put it on training mode, but he has room to grow as he gets better. It got old buying the $50 ones after a week of abuse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 97

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
A little late but Pep Boys sells Traxxis parts..