WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stand-up Jet Ski suggestions

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
I live in Georgia and ride a 1994 Yamaha Superjet. It's basically stock with a ride plate and footholds in the tray. The single carb 601 motor has been super reliable. I'm gonna be taking a trip to Parker in July to a bit of boating on the lower river and wanted to buy another stand-up when I'm out there and bring it back home with me. I love my Superjet but haven't ridden anything newer. My questions are: are the newer jet skis better? Is there any particular model I should shop for? Have you got anything you want to unload the first week of July? Thanks for the info and leads.

sintax

Reaction score

those things are boats man, but maybe thats what the poster wants something different. Those old SJ's are pretty darn good skis. I guess it would help to know what kind of riding you do?

cyclone

Reaction score
those things are boats man, but maybe thats what the poster wants something different. Those old SJ's are pretty darn good skis. I guess it would help to know what kind of riding you do?
I mostly just carve turns, jump small wakes and cruise the lake. nothing really serious. the occasional full throttle blast followed by intense porpoising on my superset is always fun, too. lol

JayBreww

Reaction score
I live in Georgia and ride a 1994 Yamaha Superjet. It's basically stock with a ride plate and footholds in the tray. The single carb 601 motor has been super reliable. I'm gonna be taking a trip to Parker in July to a bit of boating on the lower river and wanted to buy another stand-up when I'm out there and bring it back home with me. I love my Superjet but haven't ridden anything newer. My questions are: are the newer jet skis better? Is there any particular model I should shop for? Have you got anything you want to unload the first week of July? Thanks for the info and leads.

Is Game Over going to be that boring you want to stand up? Lol Bring out the dock crusher.

I think the Yamaha Super Jet looks and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530RL

Reaction score
You might be able to buy brand new super jet in Havasu. I think they still have a few left out of the 100 they received.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You need to find a unicorn which is the Yamaha FX1.

Imagine a kawi 440 hull that's about 6inches shorter and powered by a yamaha 650. Super squirrely, super powerful, super fun!

cyclone

Reaction score
Is Game Over going to be that boring you want to stand up? Lol Bring out the dock crusher.

I think the Yamaha Super Jet looks and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Game Over is never boring but it does run out of fuel occasionally. when it does I'll ride the standup. The dock crusher stays home. nobody on my local lake drives anything but wake boats or toons. its like the twilight zone. no open headers or superchargers as far as the eye can see. lol

sintax

Reaction score
You need to find a unicorn which is the Yamaha FX1.

Imagine a kawi 440 hull that's about 6inches shorter and powered by a yamaha 650. Super squirrely, super powerful, super fun!

hah they only made like 2000 of those, and they're ugly.

If i was going to spend that kind of coin i'd look for a 550sx with a 750 swap with some kind of pump swap.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with a brand new superjet for all around fun. The SXR800 is better for buoys in the chop but if the water is good the SJ is just as comparable.

I have an SXR 800 and @white tortilla has the SJ. We battle every summer but I would do a superjet if I had to do it again because it is a lot more nimble.

cyclone

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with a brand new superjet for all around fun. The SXR800 is better for buoys in the chop but if the water is good the SJ is just as comparable.

I have an SXR 800 and @white tortilla has the SJ. We battle every summer but I would do a superjet if I had to do it again because it is a lot more nimble.
I've heard the SXR is big compared to the Superjet. thanks for the insight.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Superjet all day long and twice on Tuesday. SXR is far less nimble and boring to ride IMO.

21F0AA14-A1DE-4E7F-A2A9-EEFD2C09D0DB.jpg

BingerFang

Reaction score
I've heard the SXR is big compared to the Superjet. thanks for the insight.

SXR is bigger for sure. If you want to ride both when you're in town let us know. 👍

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
I’m still riding a 550. Love the lightweight and also added front sponsons.

same man. not much better than a 550. I have a 90 550sx, piston port. I've been casually looking for a clean 91+ reed port for a while now, but I wont pay the money they're asking. I'll stumble onto one where the ad doesn't say " Dont try to low ball me, i know what I have "

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
hah they only made like 2000 of those, and they're ugly.

If i was going to spend that kind of coin i'd look for a 550sx with a 750 swap with some kind of pump swap.

I have a 440 with a 650 swap 😁 I would kill for an FX1 though, ugly or not

white tortilla

Reaction score
I have an 09 superjet it’s awesome. Still feels small and nimble and accelerates hard. Parker Yamaha still had one or two left last time I was in there.

We have 550s they are cool kind of a novelty to get out on and sight see, not really great for ripping around compared to the newer stuff.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I ride a Kawi 750. And have ridden the 800’s many times. Like others have said, they are tanks. The Superjet is a great ski. I certainly wouldn’t trade it for an 800.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I have a 440 with a 650 swap 😁 I would kill for an FX1 though, ugly or not

What’s involved in the swap? I’ve got a beat to hell TS with the 650 that runs awesome but isn’t much to look at...and 440s are cheap.

sintax

Reaction score
What’s involved in the swap? I’ve got a beat to hell TS with the 650 that runs awesome but isn’t much to look at...and 440s are cheap.

engine is pretty much a bolt in deal, the harder part is the pump. I dont know much about the 440's, but some people run the 550 pumps if i remember right.

77charger

Reaction score
same man. not much better than a 550. I have a 90 550sx, piston port. I've been casually looking for a clean 91+ reed port for a while now, but I wont pay the money they're asking. I'll stumble onto one where the ad doesn't say " Dont try to low ball me, i know what I have "
I have a 90 sx also but I’d rather by an aftermarket pp spaced reed cylinder and build up from there. Drop 750 pump and set sail. I rode a ski that placed third at worlds never thought a 550 can be that fast and handle like it did.

77charger

Reaction score
I have an 09 superjet it’s awesome. Still feels small and nimble and accelerates hard. Parker Yamaha still had one or two left last time I was in there.

We have 550s they are cool kind of a novelty to get out on and sight see, not really great for ripping around compared to the newer stuff.
Drop some sponsons on a 550 throw some power at it and it’s a damn fun ski

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
engine is pretty much a bolt in deal, the harder part is the pump. I dont know much about the 440's, but some people run the 550 pumps if i remember right.
I've only ever rode a SJ (when I was about 13 and all of 130#s) and it was a lot of fun...then I got a 650SX and I was never really a fan. Handled like shit and just seemed heavy. Are the 440/550s that much better?
I picked up a Honda Aquatrax turbo (free) to replace the old TS a few months ago and while I have the 650SX...I can't sell the TS for more than $300 I don't think, so I might as well do a swap and use the engine for something fun.

sintax

Reaction score
I have a 90 sx also but I’d rather by an aftermarket pp spaced reed cylinder and build up from there. Drop 750 pump and set sail. I rode a ski that placed third at worlds never thought a 550 can be that fast and handle like it did.

yea, i'm with you. I just like the idea of finding a super clean original ski. I wouldn't dick with it, and just ride it.

sintax

Reaction score
I've only ever rode a SJ (when I was about 13 and all of 130#s) and it was a lot of fun...then I got a 650SX and I was never really a fan. Handled like shit and just seemed heavy. Are the 440/550s that much better?
I picked up a Honda Aquatrax turbo (free) to replace the old TS a few months ago and while I have the 650SX...I can't sell the TS for more than $300 I don't think, so I might as well do a swap and use the engine for something fun.

the 650 is a tank compared to the 550. It feels like trying to auto-cross a chevy duramax

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
the 650 is a tank compared to the 550. It feels like trying to auto-cross a chevy duramax
That's been my experience. Looks like swap time. Now to find a hull.

cyclone

Reaction score

a newer Superjet sounds like the right move. I'll let my son ride my old one. lol

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
Get a 2008+ SuperJet! Fun, nimble ski
I like the 800 SXR for cruising down to RoadRunner. I love the Super Jet for everything else
20200503_192240.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

cyclone

Reaction score
Get a 2008+ SuperJet! Fun, nimble ski
I like the 800 SXR for cruising down to RoadRunner. I love the Super Jet for everything else View attachment 881215

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
school me on the differences in Superjets. you mentioned I should look for a 2008+ was there a major change after 2007 model year?

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
school me on the differences in Superjets. you mentioned I should look for a 2008+ was there a major change after 2007 model year?
The 2008+ SuperJet is more of a race inspired ski. They set back the pump which improved hook-up and the hull changed a little. They built in small front sponsons or "tubbies". These changes made the ski a better buoy chaser, but a little worse for tricks. All years of SuperJets are fun ski's. I just prefer the 2008+ hull because I like to carve turns

Pattle

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the new SXR1500. I'm glad to see that. No reason for one unless you live in CA or NY and need to register your new toy. (I live in CA, and enjoy my old '91 Superjet which can still be registered here).

However, nobody mentioned the RTP Krash skis either! They're at least worth a comment or two. Reliability isn't nearly close to a Yamaha, but fun factor is way up there. If you are a decent wrench, and like to work on stuff, I don't see how one of these should not be considered. I keep thinking about getting one myself, but live in CA and have the registration challenge to deal with. I would love to see more of these get sold. Krash reminds me a bit of KTM years ago. I hope they grow, and grow the stand up ski industry with them.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Engine bed plate adapter. Oil injection delete for clearance, aftermarket head pipe for clearance. I think I had to pull a 650 throttle cable too and installed an auto bilge pump with manual override for good measure. I think i found a wiring diagram a long time ago on how to configure the 440 cdi box to the 650 engine.

I run a hopped up 550 pump. The install was a bit easier and it has better bottom end than the 440 pump. The 440 pump has better top end though

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the new SXR1500. I'm glad to see that. No reason for one unless you live in CA or NY and need to register your new toy. (I live in CA, and enjoy my old '91 Superjet which can still be registered here).

However, nobody mentioned the RTP Krash skis either! They're at least worth a comment or two. Reliability isn't nearly close to a Yamaha, but fun factor is way up there. If you are a decent wrench, and like to work on stuff, I don't see how one of these should not be considered. I keep thinking about getting one myself, but live in CA and have the registration challenge to deal with. I would love to see more of these get sold. Krash reminds me a bit of KTM years ago. I hope they grow, and grow the stand up ski industry with them.

I think it really depends on what your mission is. GP1000 and GP1500 Komanders are pretty badass custom rides $$ straight line buoy skis. Pick up a turbo Hydrospace maybe if you are around LHC or Parker anything can be supported tech wise / parts etc to keep running. The Krash skis and other freestyle / ride mod pump hulls shit they look cool and the guys / kids riding them are hucking. I ride down at body beach and hit up the coves in that area. Mostly just go out and get some exercise it and really just like to ride. I do not see myself starting to race or launching off of wake boat doubles. My boys on the other hand have time to decide.

I have mod 550 and 440s that I have had forever. The primary skis I ride are SXR 800 stock to mod which I have been riding for the past 15 years. I picked up a 1100 SXR triple converted ski a couple of seasons ago. It is pretty cool. When I rode a 750 SXi my buddy had a Yamaha FX1. The FX1 is fun but really does not compare to todays tech. The pump will not stay hooked up honestly and if you are riding in any big water forget about it. I am 6'1 180 so honestly not as light as I was when I was in high school. The SXR 800 rides nice in havasu water in my opinion.

Do I want a 1500? They are the current race platform where all of the latest tech / R&D is being placed. I have never ridden one but there is something to be said to be able to run straight pump gas in a standup and take it to PC or beyond. You will not have the range in an 800 2 stroke even if you carry oil etc. Just not going to happen. You can actually tour on the 1500. This is a different vibe and type of standup riding but none the less one that I would be more interested in.

Anyway here are a few shots from my garage today. Saw Tommy Gun at Body Beach. Had to paddle my 800 about 1.5 mile back into shore. LOL

BB920ECE-6EEA-42B4-8FFB-BB70834A3306.jpeg
33115A31-1CE0-4DC5-BB62-6B898C69652A.jpeg
F052EB77-C7EB-4139-9440-8AE0902261F2.jpeg
B711787A-EC43-4E47-8453-5C1D3CC838BF.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
digging that ski storage rack! might have do a double decker like that on wheels!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
digging that ski storage rack! might have do a double decker like that on wheels!

It works pretty well and you can put the dollies beach racks etc on top of it out of the way. Loading became much easier with the forklift but I used to do it by hand with a friend or two.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Surprised no one has said the Kawi 750 that was built from 92 till 96 I believe. I've owned them all including the SXR800. The 750 was nimble and fast. Could throw it around more than the 800. You would probably pay less for a 750 than an 800. Superjets are flat turning ski's, kawi's you can lean hard into turns. Depends on you riding style and what you prefer.

elco

Reaction score
I have the sxr 1500 and love it. Primary reason in getting that over any other ski was the two stroke restrictions on lake mead where i spend most of my time. Its great to be able to just fill up at the dock and not mess with premix anymore. Handles rough water really well so its nice to take on longer rides. Its heavy so isnt going to be doing any freestyle but its surprisingly nimble for how heavy it is.

Baja 252

Reaction score
SJ - light, nimble, jump & play around.
08+ SJ same playfulness as older round nose SJ's, but it carves better.
SXR 800 It's heavier, so not the best at wave jumping, but the weight makes it better in rough water. It's also more stable for beginners to learn and ride. It's strength is in carving and cruising.
SXR 1500 Very big and very fast, not really playful.

A few years ago my son made this quick video of our skis. (SXR has a 1100 in it)

cyclone

Reaction score
SJ - light, nimble, jump & play around.
08+ SJ same playfulness as older round nose SJ's, but it carves better.
SXR 800 It's heavier, so not the best at wave jumping, but the weight makes it better in rough water. It's also more stable for beginners to learn and ride. It's strength is in carving and cruising.
SXR 1500 Very big and very fast, not really playful.

A few years ago my son made this quick video of our skis. (SXR has a 1100 in it)

View attachment 881332
thanks for the info. Sounds like the 08 and up SJ would be even more fun to ride than my old '94. I'm gonna start looking for one to pick up while I'm out there.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
thanks for the info. Sounds like the 08 and up SJ would be even more fun to ride than my old '94. I'm gonna start looking for one to pick up while I'm out there.
have you checked the local "whitesheets"? may find a deal or two in there. They're online too. whitesheetonline.com

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I love watching the guys do this shit at Body Beach. I want to give it a try but I’m not sure I could get my fat ass up on one.

cyclone

Reaction score
have you checked the local "whitesheets"? may find a deal or two in there. They're online too. whitesheetonline.com
forgot all about the white sheet. didnt even know it had a website. ill peep it today. thanks.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
That's been my experience. Looks like swap time. Now to find a hull.
I gave my son my old 550 with a blown up motor and if he is not going to do anything with it i would sell it cheap. It also has paperwork. let me know

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Surprised no one has said the Kawi 750 that was built from 92 till 96 I believe. I've owned them all including the SXR800. The 750 was nimble and fast. Could throw it around more than the 800. You would probably pay less for a 750 than an 800. Superjets are flat turning ski's, kawi's you can lean hard into turns. Depends on you riding style and what you prefer.

i agree. I’m not a small guy (230 lb ) and the 750 works great for me. Much better hull than a 650 and plenty of power without the weight of an 800. And they made a LOT of them.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have owned just about every kawasaki stand up made since the beginning.

Sxr800 is a beast and a great carving rough water boat. If your goal is to ride dam to dam fast and smooth the sxr's will be hard to beat. They flat out work in the rough and haul ass for a stock boat. They don't slide

Out of all the boats i have owned the only ones i miss are the 750 swapped x2 and the sxr 800

Superjets are more fun for hot dogging or playing around imho.

Englewood

Reaction score
What do you guys suggest for a 10yr old new rider?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
550 is awesome for a 10YR old - cheap, fun, runs all day on 3 gallons.

Exactly. Perfect ski for a small beginner. And an excellent example can be had foe fairly cheap.