WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed cars hit the assembly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Or perhaps Beechcraft or Cessna could lend a hand.

I'm still hoping you'll show me where I can find the Wildcat XX production numbers you seem up on. 😁

That was from RG… but as you know from this thread he’s a liar. A liar that has sued them and won $47m because they did not make enough of them :)

If you read in the court filing paperwork, Speed issued an invoice in I believe 2019 for $3m in royalties to Arctic cat/Textron… that equates to royalties for around 10,000 cars. I’d be surprised if they sold they made and sold that many since then.

Don’t worry, someone will dig through the filing and correct me if I am wrong 😁

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
That was from RG… but as you know from this thread he’s a liar. A liar that has sued them and won $47m because they did not make enough of them :)

If you read in the court filing paperwork, Speed issued an invoice in I believe 2019 for $3m in royalties to Arctic cat/Textron… that equates to royalties for around 10,000 cars. I’d be surprised if they sold they made and sold that many since then.

Nah, nothing I care to argue, as a happy owner and noticing they're still being made and sold, I was just curious.
I've been around the 'Custom' marine and automotive world's long enough to realize they're all legends in their own minds.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Nah, nothing I care to argue, as a happy owner and noticing they're still being made and sold, I was just curious.
I've been around the 'Custom' marine and automotive world's long enough to realize they're all legends in their own minds.

I was surprised to hear that as well. I would have thought it sold better. But I think the lack of follow up with a turbo and 4 seat variants is what really hurt the car and it was kinda doomed by poor marketing from the start.

There is an Arctic Cat dealer here and I’ve never seen an XX sitting in front of it with all the other models. I have seen 1 Tracker model in Havasu out in the wild.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
If you did NOT listen RG explanations last night on IG or anywhere you should not post this thread. At the least if you heard what the man had to say your posts will be defining yourself and RG.
The cars will be delivered next up the performance of those cars. Incredible accomplishment.

Taboma

Reaction score
I was surprised to hear that as well. I would have thought it sold better. But I think the lack of follow up with a turbo and 4 seat variants is what really hurt the car and it was kinda doomed by poor marketing from the start.

There is an Arctic Cat dealer here and I’ve never seen an XX sitting in front of it with all the other models. I have seen 1 Tracker model in Havasu out in the wild.
We got ours in Oct 2018 from AZ West who at the time was the Havasu Dealer. Now I see that AZ West is now Anderson AZ West --- damn, seems Anderson has bought the entire town.
I see the brand is no longer Textron Wildcat XX, but Artic Cat Wildcat XX and River Rat Motorsports is selling new 2022's ??
I no longer see the Wildcat XX offered in the Tracker lineup, just Ranger styled versions for hunters and farm/ranch work.

Works awesome for our needs and it hasn't left us stranded TWICE as did the POS Rzr.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We got ours in Oct 2018 from AZ West who at the time was the Havasu Dealer. Now I see that AZ West is now Anderson AZ West --- damn, seems Anderson has bought the entire town.
I see the brand is no longer Textron Wildcat XX, but Artic Cat Wildcat XX and River Rat Motorsports is selling new 2022's ??
I no longer see the Wildcat XX offered in the Tracker lineup, just Ranger styled versions for hunters and farm/ranch work.

Works awesome for our needs and it hasn't left us stranded TWICE as did the POS Rzr.

I like the look of the XX...not sure about performance because I have never ridden in one... but I think it looks great...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But why say 100 3-4 months ago. Even the RG fan boys said 100 too? All the sudden it’s 12?

Clearly they are not operating like Polaris.

Again, because they only have to fix 12 instead of 100 if there are any major problems.

Taboma

Reaction score
I like the look of the XX...not sure about performance because I have never ridden in one... but I think it looks great...
Coming from having several Polaris, the first thing I had to get used to was the high revving Yamaha engine. It sings an entirely different song than other brands, except the Yamaha XYZ with which it shares a similar engine.

The conservative 130 HP isn't going to win any HP wars, but it pulls hard. We're not Glamis dune runners, we run tight and primitive mountain trails to explore the wilderness areas up in around our ranch property.
It's extremely comfortable, and very secure feeling. It offers a great sightline over the front end for seeing boulders and other obstructions, it's easily turned around on narrow trails and even at higher elevations, it's got all the grunt I've ever asked it for and more.
It offers a great ride across all the nasty rough rocky roads we've tossed at it, but we're not racing it across whoops.
We ride alone and far into wilderness areas, I don't do silly things that might break the car, at least not until we're back on our own turf.

We're happy with it, but we're not young and trying to win any bench racing bragging rights. 😁

mbrown2

Reaction score
But why say 100 3-4 months ago. Even the RG fan boys said 100 too? All the sudden it’s 12?
Guys are not good at math.... they say its 8 but its really 4.5... :)

If a women would had done the press release, she would have said only 12 released but that 12 would be plenty....

JayBreww

Reaction score
Guys are not good at math.... they say its 8 but its really 4.5... :)

If a women would had done the press release, she would have said only 12 released but that 12 would be plenty....
He said 1 wasn’t even going to be used, so actually 11 cars.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Best way to find the right answer is to post the wrong one online then wait for the fact checkers to show up🤣

Oldest trick in the book, i use it often 😄

702sandman

Reaction score
I know it’s all trivial , I think I would be pissed that I was the very first person to order and I paid in full 4-5 months before I even seen my car and now does it have the same accessories I ordered and same colors I ordered ? I’m glad they worked it out for him. it would just suck if it wasn’t exactly what he wanted.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I know it’s all trivial , I think I would be pissed that I was the very first person to order and I paid in full 4-5 months before I even seen my car and now does it have the same accessories I ordered and same colors I ordered ? I’m glad they worked it out for him. it would just suck if it wasn’t exactly what he wanted.

I think that is a legit concern. He posted that he is happy about the outcome, so maybe he worked something out with Speed and RG.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
So I watched the video….

1 Car. 1 Fucking Car. That is the amount of actual real assembly line production vehicles Speed is going to keep and test themselves. That’s a horrible joke to me and hopefully works out for the early number buyers Robby has turned into test dummies that have no other option.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I watched the video….

1 Car. 1 Fucking Car. That is the amount of actual real assembly line production vehicles Speed is going to keep and test themselves. That’s a horrible joke to me and hopefully works out for the early number buyers Robby has turned into test dummies that have no other option.

Given the choice I would happily be a test mule for speed. You get the car early and if it has problems they fix it?

I’m not seeing the downside here. Originally I believe they were going to keep 20? Or maybe the number was higher?

I believe pressure to deliver cars lowered thst number to what it is now.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Given the choice I would happily be a test mule for speed. You get the car early and if it has problems they fix it?

I’m not seeing the downside here. Originally I believe they were going to keep 20? Or maybe the number was higher?

They have kept and tested many cars since April, so the idea that they are just keeping one out of this group seems pretty reasonable.

I'm also fine with the tradeoff and happy they are taking the time to do their due diligence.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
I talked to RG the other day before the show and he said basically what we know, CARB is a real bitch to get. One little thing and you have to start over, they are trying to get it done soon but it'll be a few months at least on CARB. Its a 12 month process usually at best and thats without changing anything along the way or it starts over....

These first cars are the first real complete production line cars so they want to make sure they are all good to go before having an issue and having a lot more cars out there with an issue thats easy to fix in production. Remember also they have only made one kind of car so far, so thats why the numbers aren't in order because some of those would be a different model that has not even been produced yet.....

Like I said prior if you do not have a super super low number like in the early 3 digits and this model I would plan on having something else to ride for a while.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Welcome to the RDP circus @Fishd00d ! There are quite a few desert racer's on this site and you should be able to garner more viewers for your Fishgistics broadcasts. I bet you can get @RiverDave to sponsor your shows (Free beers) 😉 Hopefully you can share more PCI stuff with us on here. PCI needs to open a store in Havasu!

BTW, @LargeOrangeFont is the Pistol Pete of RDP!
If you guys ever have any PCI questions just lemme know! We are excited a lot of the Speed Customers are smart and went with PCI in their cars....

And I really miss Pistol!! He was a good dude, I was stoked to race one of his trucks again a couple weeks ago and he pushed the rear down for me just enough on a kicker so we didnt eat shit lol

riverroyal

Reaction score
so #22 and 23 are paid in full and not in california and he has to rant on social media.
Yet, the rest of you guys with deposits and higher number are still shaking your pom poms. Noted.

What about the guy with spot #21?

Deckin Around

Reaction score

You're a few minutes from the shop so I get your opinion and agree with the pressure to deliver idea. For the test mule getting his 2 cars in Montana, or Nevada, or me who is in Cali but doing the reg in AZ like most of my toys. Who's paying the travel fees for any early production corrections? My time to get my trailer, load and drive anywhere is valuable and limited.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You're a few minutes from the shop so I get your opinion and agree with the pressure to deliver idea. For the test mule getting his 2 cars in Montana, or Nevada, or me who is in Cali but doing the reg in AZ like most of my toys. Who's paying the travel fees for any early production corrections? My time to get my trailer, load and drive anywhere is valuable and limited.

In your position I wouldn’t even buy one. I’d go buy a Polaris and move on with life. In fact that is what I did for my car outside Havasu. None of these vehicles are so much better or worse than one another that it should affect or risk your leisure time.

I’m the same as Dave, I can roll it downhill from my house to his shop. We all knew these risks going in and were/are ok with them for the price paid.

That is why I don’t get why everyone is so worried about the choices of others.

EPL

Reaction score
They have kept and tested many cars since April, so the idea that they are just keeping one out of this group seems pretty reasonable.

I'm also fine with the tradeoff and happy they are taking the time to do their due diligence.
the few cars they had had that they were testing weren't TRUE production cars , the ones he says are coming are true production cars !!

Deckin Around

Reaction score
In your position I wouldn’t even buy one. I’d go buy a Polaris and move on with life. In fact that is what I did for my car outside Havasu. None of these vehicles are so much better or worse than one another that it should affect or risk your leisure time.

I’m the same as Dave, I can roll it downhill from my house to his shop. We all knew these risks going in and were/are ok with them for the price paid.

Note: I don't give a shit about the choices of others. I have an "early" deposit too. I never thought there wouldn't be at least a limited dealer network setup before I got mine or that the manufacturing company would not be testing the final production units before release. Mail order parts only? He's had YEARS to set that up. You can talk all you want about all the prototype models they tested and actually put real miles on... what 2? 3? Those are not the cars going to customers. I understand now people are willing to take car-in-hand and be the mule over waiting but was that your assumption to be the test dummy with "risks" to that degree?

Also Note: "In my position" I have plenty of toys to use until it arrives, this will be an extra car for us so that is a complete non-issue. Maybe I don't have the "gimme my car now" blinders on that the mules do.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Note: I don't give a shit about the choices of others. I have an "early" deposit too. I never thought there wouldn't be at least a limited dealer network setup before I got mine or that the manufacturing company would not be testing the final production units before release. Mail order parts only? He's had YEARS to set that up. You can talk all you want about all the prototype models they tested and actually put real miles on... what 2? 3? Those are not the cars going to customers. I understand now you are willing to take car-in-hand and be the mule over waiting but was that your assumption to be the test dummy with "risks" to that degree?

Also Note: "In my position" I have plenty of toys to use until it arrives, this will be an extra car for us so that is a complete non-issue. Maybe I don't have the "gimme my car now" blinders on.
One answer

Garage shop!!!! They have no clue how to scale this

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But that doesn't do much good when your 100 miles out in the desert !!

Tell that to Polaris when your clutch explodes, or your fuel pump o ring decides to give out. Everything fails

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Clearly they are not operating like Polaris.

Again, because they only have to fix 12 instead of 100 if there are any major problems.

If there are issues they do have to fix 100 cars or however many they have because the same problem lies within all that have been produced. I would suspect they only have 12 produced.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Which three?

I have always wanted a place in Baja. My biggest problem with it is I’m not in construction and know very little about it.. actually very little would still be over stating the case, I know nothing about it, so I would be at the mercy of using local people for upgrades and fix its..

I suppose it would be a good way to learn though. Lol brothers and mr flash just outside porta nuave fish town they filmed titanic there no names from me . There plenty of local crews building there

EPL

Reaction score
Tell that to Polaris when your clutch explodes, or your fuel pump o ring decides to give out. Everything fails
Not saying that it wouldn't be a problem if i had an issue with my Polaris!! It's just that you keep saying your not worried if you have a problem with the Speed car because you can just roll down the hill to Speed !! So why when I just made a comment do you have to start sounding like RG and bring up Polaris !!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Some of the best feuds are between neighbors...

EPL

Reaction score
If there are issues they do have to fix 100 cars or however many they have because the same problem lies within all that have been produced. I would suspect they only have 12 produced.
The sorry changes from show to show ! One show they have a 100 made ready to ship then it was 200 and on last night show it sounds like all they have mad is the 12 that are out lost at sea !!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Note: I don't give a shit about the choices of others. I have an "early" deposit too. I never thought there wouldn't be at least a limited dealer network setup before I got mine or that the manufacturing company would not be testing the final production units before release. Mail order parts only? He's had YEARS to set that up. You can talk all you want about all the prototype models they tested and actually put real miles on... what 2? 3? Those are not the cars going to customers. I understand now people are willing to take car-in-hand and be the mule over waiting but was that your assumption to be the test dummy with "risks" to that degree?

Also Note: "In my position" I have plenty of toys to use until it arrives, this will be an extra car for us so that is a complete non-issue. Maybe I don't have the "gimme my car now" blinders on that the mules do.

I don't think people have or had the correct expectations. The is a start up, it always was a start up. I knew there was not going to be a strong dealer network on debut when they said they were selling these direct to consumer out of OC and Havasu. Did you? Think about when Tesla started... No one had roadster parts or knew how to work on them. Same thing today for those buying Rivian trucks.

Frankly once they said there was going to be a facility in Havasu, that it was what made me decide to get one because parts were my main concern. Of course they are going to prioritize their own home dealers over dealers at large, especially at first when they are using as many parts as they can to build cars.

They have been doing nothing but testing cars for a year now in various iterations, many of the recent ones they claim came off the assembly line. There is no way they are going to have parts to build cars and be able to stock parts in every dealer they have. That is not scalable for a startup, especially when these dealers don't even have cars on the floor yet.

I would have been car 25 or something when I got to the Speed booth at SSSS in 2019. There is a reason I didn't put my money down then, I didn't want a car THAT new. Car 1000 is fine for me, and that is where I am in line.

If someone wants their car now, who cares? I'm sure those people have a good deal with Speed to fix any issues that arise for their troubles. I don't know what that deal is, I am not one of those folks, and that was by choice.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not saying that it wouldn't be a problem if i had an issue with my Polaris!! It's just that you keep saying your not worried if you have a problem with the Speed car because you can just roll down the hill to Speed !! So why when I just made a comment do you have to start sounding like RG and bring up Polaris !!

Because it makes that vein on your forehead pop out.

I'm not worried, because just like my Polaris, if I had a problem, I would get it home and go down the street to get parts to fix it.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
It's just dumb of them not to pound on the first 10 for 5000+ miles. Thats just two weeks of testing 300-350 miles per day which can all be done in daylight. @LargeOrangeFont you have been saying time is not an issue because you want them to get it right, I agree. Their action plan is not the right path.
Say there is a problem with 1 suspension or shock tab or frame junction. Is the acceptable fix a new welded gusset that they need to paint/powder coat after the fix or do they replace the frame with a new version? Less than 5% of UTV dealer service depts even use welders in their shop I bet, too much liability.
The dealer and parts network is sad but that's on the back-end.

JayBreww

Reaction score
It's just dumb of them not to pound on the first 10 for 5000+ miles. Thats just two weeks of testing 300-350 miles per day which can all be done in daylight. @LargeOrangeFont you have been saying time is not an issue because you want them to get it right, I agree. Their action plan is not the right path.
Say there is a problem with 1 suspension or shock tab or frame junction. Is the acceptable fix a new welded gusset that they need to paint/powder coat after the fix or do they replace the frame with a new version? Less than 5% of UTV dealer service depts even use welders in their shop I bet, too much liability.
Or a motor? And now Carb/Cali buyers are another year out.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

What if that is what they have been doing and the cars at SSSS came off the line at the same time as these, making them all basically the same?

Why do we assume to know what testing has been done in private?

Do we know the terms these people have been taking these cars on? We don’t. Maybe they are getting replacement car next year. Maybe they are getting these cars at a discount. It is none of our business and none of us know any of the details.

There has been endless whining to get cars in customers hands, now we are close and complaining about the cars getting into customer hands?

If we both want it right, why don’t we just let them test the cars? It isnt your car or my car they are testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.