WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Southwest moves to assigned seats

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
last flight i took on southwest this lady is carrying an 8 year old in her arms looked like a handicapped kid and boards last and yells out someone please give me your seat to the people sitting in the front of the plane otherwise I will have to carry my child all the way to the back of the plane. Idk why she didn't preboard or why she flew an airline without assigned seats maybe she was late arrival but I couldn't believe it. I still like southwest no bag fees my gf carries 3 bags onboard(literally a carryon suitcase a huge purse and a laptop bag) and I finally told her I aint carrying any your bags check your shit or you can deal with it all yourself.
Probably because she was pushed out of the way by a family or two with "kids" sporting beards

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Are you guys forgetting about the option to purchase Early Bird access. We always get A group with that. We call it Hillbilly First Class 😁

There have been several times where i have paid for Early Bird access and still gotten a high B #, once I even got a low C. I was a little pissed and asked about it. The woman at SW said it all depends on how many people have purchased the Early Bird before me. But you don't know until 24 hours before. Usually it's a high A or low B number, but not always.

I actually prefer to pick my seat ahead of time rather than fight for it on flight day and having to be Johnny-on-the-spot at exactly 24 hours (not 23:59), to reserve my space to pick my seat.

Singleton

Reaction score
There have been several times where i have paid for Early Bird access and still gotten a high B #, once I even got a low C. I was a little pissed and asked about it. The woman at SW said it all depends on how many people have purchased the Early Bird before me. But you don't know until 24 hours before. Usually it's a high A or low B number, but not always.

I actually prefer to pick my seat ahead of time rather than fight for it on flight day and having to be Johnny-on-the-spot at exactly 24 hours (not 23:59), to reserve my space to pick my seat.
Plus early bird is not offered on all flights now. It will be interesting how this gets rolled out

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Southwest has been good to me. Anything under 3 hours I’ll take my chances on open seating.

United out of houston is always delayed and IAH is a mess to deal with parking and construction.

Traveling with kids southwest was the best. We get early boarding and never a problem sitting together.

Reactions: DWC

Riverfamlee

Reaction score

It got worse when they introduced the 4th tier Wanna get a plus and added early bird to the anytime flights. Seems like you would get bumped behind the anytime early birds.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Only issue with boarding late is the possibility overhead carry-on storage is limited near you.

I see the fuckers who throw their bag up top near the front and their seat is at the rear.

I flew United a month or so ago. They seem to have a real overhead issue, likely because they charge for any checked luggage. Also, I saw a lot of men with a carry-on and a backpack. I suspect they do not put that backpack under the seat in front of them. Also saw women with a carry-on, a huge shopping bag and a purse. Also doubt they put that big shopping bag and purse under the seat. Likely take up two overhead spaces. I only took a carry-on and a purse. Had my computer bag inside my carry-on. 3 of the 5 flights to DC and back to Kalispell only had room for about 60 carry-ons (allegedly). So if you're not in one of the first two boarding groups, they make you check your carry-on. Well, I'm not sending any computer into the belly of the plane where I can no longer see it. So I had to rearrange my luggage at the gate and pull out my computer bag. On one of the flights that I was able to take my carry-on, all of the overhead near me was full, so I had to put it towards the way back. Then I had to wait near the back bathrooms to be seated until almost everyone had boarded because the flight attendant who told me to wait to come forward did not stop traffic so I could be seated. THEN when the plane landed, I had to wait in my seat that I had chosen in the 20th row so that I could get off quickly to catch my next flight, until the back of the plane deboarded so that I could get my bag. Very stupid way to do things. Why don't they make the back of the plane board first? Wouldn't that be much faster? Maybe first class, then the back of the plane? There must be a reason.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Why no significant logistics inspired plane designs?

If idle time reduction increases profits, why is the passenger door not located more center of the plane to allow multi directional traffic? Why not load from front and back at the same time?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score

If idle time reduction increases profits, why is the passenger door not located more center of the plane to allow multi directional traffic? Why not load from front and back at the same time?
They do in Burbank. All good until you need to pass someone in the aisle.

Could work well with a seats 1- x front door and seat 60-x back door type of deal.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Long Beach they load from both the front and back but Long Beach is like Palm Springs, old. They don’t have the gates like some of the larger airports do. You just walk out onto the tarmac.

I actually like flying in/out of Long Beach for the ease. Only issue is the terminals are small so people are standing shoulder to shoulder.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I was on a SWA flight yesterday and had some excitement. The last 2 people on the plane had a suitcase with no more overhead storage, no big deal just check it, a little inconvenient but oh well, don't be the last people on the flight. Not for these 2, they started opening every compartment searching for a bag that "shouldn't be in the overhead." In fairness, it's annoying when people put their bag that should be under the seat in front of them in the overhead, but they were also the last ones on the damn flight.

There was a lady that had a backpack and a small soft side duffel bag/gym bag. Backpack under seat, and duffel in the overhead, rather reasonable right? The above 2 started demanding that she put her duffel bag under the seat in addition to the backpack that was under her seat. She responded with "why should I be uncomfortable because you're late, just check it." They then went to the flight attendants to get them to demand that this lady put 2 bags under the seat in front of her, they told them to kick rocks. At that point the dude grabbed the bag out of the overhead and started walking it to the front of the plane to be checked, so he could get his bag in the overhead. Absolute lunacy. Wouldn't be surprised if they went to the back of the plane and demanded people move seats so they could sit together.

As much as I hate united, I think they have the most efficient boarding system. Let the folks with status board first that's fine, but then after that it's window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats. Can't stand it when everyone has to get up every other row to let someone in to their seat.

Pro tip for my fellow tall folks with long legs. Instead of putting your backpack under the seat in front of you, put it vertical underneath your knees against the front of your seat. This lets me stretch my legs out in front of me underneath the seat. Sometimes a flight attendant will try to make an issue out of it, but I normally sit window so they can't really see it anyways. Can't stand sitting aisle and having everyone bump into my shoulder and knee when they walk by.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I was on a SWA flight yesterday and had some excitement. The last 2 people on the plane had a suitcase with no more overhead storage, no big deal just check it, a little inconvenient but oh well, don't be the last people on the flight. Not for these 2, they started opening every compartment searching for a bag that "shouldn't be in the overhead." In fairness, it's annoying when people put their bag that should be under the seat in front of them in the overhead, but they were also the last ones on the damn flight.

There was a lady that had a backpack and a small soft side duffel bag/gym bag. Backpack under seat, and duffel in the overhead, rather reasonable right? The above 2 started demanding that she put her duffel bag under the seat in addition to the backpack that was under her seat. She responded with "why should I be uncomfortable because you're late, just check it." They then went to the flight attendants to get them to demand that this lady put 2 bags under the seat in front of her, they told them to kick rocks. At that point the dude grabbed the bag out of the overhead and started walking it to the front of the plane to be checked, so he could get his bag in the overhead. Absolute lunacy. Wouldn't be surprised if they went to the back of the plane and demanded people move seats so they could sit together.

As much as I hate united, I think they have the most efficient boarding system. Let the folks with status board first that's fine, but then after that it's window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats. Can't stand it when everyone has to get up every other row to let someone in to their seat.

Pro tip for my fellow tall folks with long legs. Instead of putting your backpack under the seat in front of you, put it vertical underneath your knees against the front of your seat. This lets me stretch my legs out in front of me underneath the seat. Sometimes a flight attendant will try to make an issue out of it, but I normally sit window so they can't really see it anyways. Can't stand sitting aisle and having everyone bump into my shoulder and knee when they walk by.

It’s an FAA rule that it has to be stowed under the seat. Once you get to 10k elevation then you can move it. I never sit window, aisle only, so likely I wouldn’t be able to get away with it.

I always move it to the position your describing once the captain gives the green light.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
It’s an FAA rule that it has to be stowed under the seat. Once you get to 10k elevation then you can move it. I never sit window, aisle only, so likely I wouldn’t be able to get away with it.

I always move it to the position your describing once the captain gives the green light.

Yep and I get why, don't want to clog up that space with bags if we need to evacuate. But sitting on the window, it would only get in my way, not anyone elses

kurtis500

Reaction score
Long Beach they load from both the front and back but Long Beach is like Palm Springs, old. They don’t have the gates like some of the larger airports do. You just walk out onto the tarmac.

I actually like flying in/out of Long Beach for the ease. Only issue is the terminals are small so people are standing shoulder to shoulder.
Long Beach and Burbank are great with Southwest. Front and back loading/unloading.

EBT531

Reaction score
Saw this on the news this morning. I have flown SWA for the last 15 years 1-3 times a week. The points are great, companion pass is great, but I mostly flew them as I get a flight last minute quite a lot and can still get a middle seat. When they switch, I'll just go to American. They already said they are moving the seats like american so they can charge more if you want legroom, why fly SWA when AA has food, better drinks, lounges etc..

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Saw this on the news this morning. I have flown SWA for the last 15 years 1-3 times a week. The points are great, companion pass is great, but I mostly flew them as I get a flight last minute quite a lot and can still get a middle seat. When they switch, I'll just go to American. They already said they are moving the seats like american so they can charge more if you want legroom, why fly SWA when AA has food, better drinks, lounges etc..
Great point. Never thought of it like that, this may actually hurt them.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Great point. Never thought of it like that, this may actually hurt them.
I think it may hurt them. It was their differentiator in a tough market. I think they screwed it up by relaxing the rules for pre-boarding. I used to love flying with them, but stopped because they messed up the gamification for me. When you check in within one second of the opening and you get a high B number or even C number it lost it's appeal for me and I switched to United which I hated doing, but it's our companies preferred vendor.

Southwest built it's brand on being different, this seems the opposite of their core value.

Maybe put some rules into pre-boarding that require you to sit where they tell you and make it less attractive. Make them jump through a few more hoops.

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
I think it may hurt them. It was their differentiator in a tough market. I think they screwed it up by relaxing the rules for pre-boarding. I used to love flying with them, but stopped because they messed up the gamification for me. When you check in within one second of the opening and you get a high B number or even C number it lost it's appeal for me and I switched to United which I hated doing, but it's our companies preferred vendor.

Southwest built it's brand on being different, this seems the opposite of their core value.

Maybe put some rules into pre-boarding that require you to sit where they tell you and make it less attractive. Make them jump through a few more hoops.
I believe it's a FAA rule.
Although making any one who boards with wheelchair wait till the end and disembark on a wheelchair would put a stop to at least 90% of it.

There are gamers even in assigned seating. At least half get on with the full families sometime 4 or more. When at the gate hop up and run off.

Although I see a couple that actually need that service and the wheelchairs are waiting for them in the jet way.

Thats like the A-Holes who drop a family member in front of a store and sit in a handicapped parking spot. I'm sure they feel they are braking no law as they are not parking, in their mind at least.

Nordie

Reaction score
I flew United a month or so ago. They seem to have a real overhead issue, likely because they charge for any checked luggage. Also, I saw a lot of men with a carry-on and a backpack. I suspect they do not put that backpack under the seat in front of them. Also saw women with a carry-on, a huge shopping bag and a purse. Also doubt they put that big shopping bag and purse under the seat. Likely take up two overhead spaces. I only took a carry-on and a purse. Had my computer bag inside my carry-on. 3 of the 5 flights to DC and back to Kalispell only had room for about 60 carry-ons (allegedly). So if you're not in one of the first two boarding groups, they make you check your carry-on. Well, I'm not sending any computer into the belly of the plane where I can no longer see it. So I had to rearrange my luggage at the gate and pull out my computer bag. On one of the flights that I was able to take my carry-on, all of the overhead near me was full, so I had to put it towards the way back. Then I had to wait near the back bathrooms to be seated until almost everyone had boarded because the flight attendant who told me to wait to come forward did not stop traffic so I could be seated. THEN when the plane landed, I had to wait in my seat that I had chosen in the 20th row so that I could get off quickly to catch my next flight, until the back of the plane deboarded so that I could get my bag. Very stupid way to do things. Why don't they make the back of the plane board first? Wouldn't that be much faster? Maybe first class, then the back of the plane? There must be a reason.

I've said it before I could fix the airlines overnight.

Board back of plane first, and charge for Carry on bags, and not checked bags. You would definitely get rid of the overhead bin issue, and I think the planes would load quicker starting at the back moving forward. Let's be honest none of us really want to sit on the plane longer than we have to. The luxury has always been sitting up front. Why would you want to board first. Especially an isle seat, you're getting banged into by everyone, and people are just standing next to you while others are finding their seats.

17 10 Flat

Reaction score

Board back of plane first, and charge for Carry on bags, and not checked bags. You would definitely get rid of the overhead bin issue, and I think the planes would load quicker starting at the back moving forward. Let's be honest none of us really want to sit on the plane longer than we have to. The luxury has always been sitting up front. Why would you want to board first. Especially an isle seat, you're getting banged into by everyone, and people are just standing next to you while others are finding their seats.
I like getting on right away because I'm a people watcher and love to make judgments. :cool:

kurtis500

Reaction score

The problem with that is some people will stuff their overhead in the bin well before they get to their seats. I fly Delta fc twice a week at least and if I have a carry on I try to board first so i can get a place overhead. If I wait until the end to board all the overhead storage is full. Fc or Comfort+ have labels on the bins but people still put their carry on at the front of the plane and walk to the back.

When I fly Frontier I usually get the exit row. Before take off someone will jump up into an empty exit row seat and the flight attendants will be all over them to get in their assigned seat. Frontier is pretty rude sometimes but they keep most of the crap on board under control by being rude. Frontier flights between PHX-ORD or LAS-ORD are a real 💩show..

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Mythbusters did an episode on all kinds of alternatives to what the airlines do.

Some were worse options but they came up with a few that were actually an improvement, but you know the airlines wouldn’t adopt it because that would make too much sense.

BabyRay

Reaction score
The problem with that is some people will stuff their overhead in the bin well before they get to their seats. I fly Delta fc twice a week at least and if I have a carry on I try to board first so i can get a place overhead. If I wait until the end to board all the overhead storage is full. Fc or Comfort+ have labels on the bins but people still put their carry on at the front of the plane and walk to the back.
Easy fix. Electronic locks on bins, controlled by the flight crew. Open each section only as the assigned passengers approach.

Nordie

Reaction score

When I fly Frontier I usually get the exit row. Before take off someone will jump up into an empty exit row seat and the flight attendants will be all over them to get in their assigned seat. Frontier is pretty rude sometimes but they keep most of the crap on board under control by being rude. Frontier flights between PHX-ORD or LAS-ORD are a real 💩show..

This is why you charge a premium for the overhead bin and offer free checked baggage. People are going to gravitate towards the free stuff VS being charged a convenience fee. God forbid you lose 15 minutes going to the carousel but you saved $20 or $30.

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
Frontier and Spirit are right where you need to be.
Get on a flight from Orlando any airline, all the Disney bags, kids screaming, cups of soda in their hands, trying to pull a suitcase, pure entrainment.

Although Frontier and Spirit lead the way. Have not been on Spirit 20+ years. Flew Frontier couple years ago $25.00 one way to Florida. Total shit show. Laughed so hard thought I would get asked to leave, Flight delayed 30 minutes due to the antics of the patrons.

weasle

Reaction score
What amazed me with SWA is families with children get preferential boarding. Small children I get it. I was flying back from San Antonio during holiday season and a woman goes to the front with her 14 and 16 year old children. Really thank god there was a group of us that called her out. SWA did not say a thing. She caved under peer pressure. There are always people trying to scam the system.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
Wait till they start over booking, assign 2 people to the same seat. At least the old way you grab a seat and don’t be picky. Kinda like musical chairs!😎

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I'm going to miss the open seating. I love trying not to get people to sit next to me.