WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I bought a Honda Talon...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No real story, the outburst was more about the whiskey I was drinking while putting everything away yesterday....LOL....but for real, I was pretty dissatisfied with the ride of the car...I knew it wasn't going to ride as good a a rzr/canam and was ok with that....but holy shit....after playing with some tire pressure, adjusting the tender springs, and messing with the clickers on the shocks themselves...I was able to get the ride dialed in for most trails...did good on washboard and chatter bumps. and handled good on big berms....but the big whoops, and there are lots of them in Ocotillo, it sucked BAD...literally felt like that video of the jeeps i posted above...my old "long travel" rhino felt better through them...

Glad you are getting a handle on it. That is the main complaint about the Talon.
This video offers a pretty good explanation as to why you are feeling what you are feeling. Get as much weight as possible to the rear of the car and that should help.

This.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
This video offers a pretty good explanation as to why you are feeling what you are feeling. Get as much weight as possible to the rear of the car and that should help.

Thanks for that, explains a lot, but also a let down because doesn't seem like there is a good solution

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We did have some great rides though
7811E2AD-C8A6-4023-9665-399062D09E0E.jpeg
833B1C89-AA7E-474B-B57A-BE872DC3F33E.jpeg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Thanks for that, explains a lot, but also a let down because doesn't seem like there is a good solution
I think some good tuning will certainly help, remember these guys are racers and have different expectations than us mere mortals.

Side note, we were out in ocotillo this weekend too. Where were you camped?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

There isn't sadly. It is a problem inherent with the suspension design and center of gravity of the vehicle.

Car looks awesome.

Getting the spare tire back there will help. Shock work will help.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I think some good tuning will certainly help, remember these guys are racers and have different expectations than us mere mortals.

Side note, we were out in ocotillo this weekend too. Where were you camped?

Yeah I hear that Shock Therapy and Weller Racing both have some good options, so eventually we will get there. I do need to add more weight to the back, I haven't tried that...I have a spare tire mount above the bed, but don't have a spare tire yet, once I get that and my tool box in the back it will add a little weight.

We camp in the Hidden Valley Camp area off of Cahuilla Trail near where the red x is, how about you?

map.jpg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Yeah I hear that Shock Therapy and Weller Racing both have some good options, so eventually we will get there. I do need to add more weight to the back, I haven't tried that...I have a spare tire mount above the bed, but don't have a spare tire yet, once I get that and my tool box in the back it will add a little weight.

We camp in the Hidden Valley Camp area off of Cahuilla Trail near where the red x is, how about you?

View attachment 1176022

We have been going to pole line for about 20 years now. I think it's time for us to find a new spot though, ocotillo is just so blown out and busy these days.

Reactions: DLC

Badchoices03

Reaction score
There isn't sadly. It is a problem inherent with the suspension design and center of gravity of the vehicle.

Car looks awesome.

Getting the spare tire back there will help. Shock work will help.

Thanks for the compliment, I really like the look of the car, I loved the paddle shifting through the washes that was a blast, car seemed to have plenty of power, really liked the fact that we weren't driving the same car as everyone else (canam/rzr), we only saw 2 other Talons all weekend and they were both 2 seaters, but maybe there is a reason for that lol...just got to get the suspension dialed a little better.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We have been going to pole line for about 20 years now. I think it's time for us to find a new spot though, ocotillo is just so blown out and busy these days.

We did Pole Line for many, many years, over the third hump to the left, felt like the wind came down through those valleys more then other spots, we switched to this spot about 4 seasons ago, and we like it, wind can still get bad but doesn't seem as bad as pole line and its more centrally located to all the hotspots, Blowsand, Pumpkin Patch, etc....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, I really like the look of the car, I loved the paddle shifting through the washes that was a blast, car seemed to have plenty of power, really liked the fact that we weren't driving the same car as everyone else (canam/rzr), we only saw 2 other Talons all weekend and they were both 2 seaters, but maybe there is a reason for that lol...just got to get the suspension dialed a little better.

That part is nice, having something unique. I have not seen many 4 seaters in the wild. Mostly 2 seat Talon Rs as you noted.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
We did Pole Line for many, many years, over the third hump to the left, felt like the wind came down through those valleys more then other spots, we switched to this spot about 4 seasons ago, and we like it, wind can still get bad but doesn't seem as bad as pole line and its more centrally located to all the hotspots, Blowsand, Pumpkin Patch, etc....

We camp before the first hump, about a quarter mile west of the bathrooms. We don't have a problem with the campsite, it's the trails and riding that aren't as fun as they used to be. Part of it is that we've done all of the things multiple times, and part of it is just too busy too many people. It used to be that if you ventured south of 78 it helped cut down the crowds, but seems like that ship has sailed. The Trellis out towards superstition was as busy as I've ever seen it

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We camp before the first hump, about a quarter mile west of the bathrooms. We don't have a problem with the campsite, it's the trails and riding that aren't as fun as they used to be. Part of it is that we've done all of the things multiple times, and part of it is just too busy too many people. It used to be that if you ventured south of 78 it helped cut down the crowds, but seems like that ship has sailed. The Trellis out towards superstition was as busy as I've ever seen it

Have you been to the Little People spot? Its a great night ride there, and kind of eerie.

We went to two places this time that I haven't been to...the airplane graveyard and the arches

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Have you been to the Little People spot? Its a great night ride there, and kind of eerie.

We went to two places this time that I haven't been to...the airplane graveyard and the arches
Maybe, if there's anything I've learned about talking about the desert with others that go there it's that everyone has their own names for different places lol

Drop a pin if you can, would love to check it out

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Maybe, if there's anything I've learned about talking about the desert with others that go there it's that everyone has their own names for different places lol

Drop a pin if you can, would love to check it out

It's this spot where over time people have built all these "little people" out of rocks, we stumbled across it 2 seasons ago and there were only a few sculptures, but now there are hundreds of them, some with actual clothes/wigs/etc..

5F3A2760_180314.jpg
5F3A2768_180314.jpg

Deckin Around

Reaction score
No real story, the outburst was more about the whiskey I was drinking while putting everything away yesterday....LOL....but for real, I was pretty dissatisfied with the ride of the car...I knew it wasn't going to ride as good a a rzr/canam and was ok with that....but holy shit....after playing with some tire pressure, adjusting the tender springs, and messing with the clickers on the shocks themselves...I was able to get the ride dialed in for most trails...did good on washboard and chatter bumps. and handled good on big berms....but the big whoops, and there are lots of them in Ocotillo, it sucked BAD...literally felt like that video of the jeeps i posted above...my old "long travel" rhino felt better through them...

Same opinion 8 of us who drove my BIL's rental Talon this weekend felt. Even the DS Can-am with the 64" suspension did better. I love the shifting option but thats it.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Fk this car, fk the Fox shocks, fk Honda…
I sent our shocks to Weller racing for a revalue and drove it for the first time over 100 miles this weekend, it’s now a great handling car. The stutter bumps that used to shake your fillings out are no longer bad at all, the rear buck is eliminated, and the ride quality is improved everywhere. The car squats in the rear under hard acceleration, leans slightly to the outside like a good dirt car and handles a thousand times better. We drive it mid to full throttle most of the time and love the way it handles now.
I had the same feelings about the car before doing the valving. They don’t change the springs for the live valve suspension, $900 for valving seems good to me, I spend more tha that on my dirt bike.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yep this was the last for me. I built this riding group and did JV for years. Then one defected to O.Wells so we all followed.

I'm going back to Soggy Dry Lake next year even if its just us.

Next year?

I sent our shocks to Weller racing for a revalue and drove it for the first time over 100 miles this weekend, it’s now a great handling car. The stutter bumps that used to shake your fillings out are no longer bad at all, the rear buck is eliminated, and the ride quality is improved everywhere. The car squats in the rear under hard acceleration, leans to the outside like a good dirt car and handles a thousand times better. We drive it mid to full throttle most of the time and love the way it handles now.
I had the same feelings about the car before doing the valving. They don’t change the springs for the live valve suspension, $900 for valving seems good to me, I spend more tha that on my dirt bike.

Glad you are happy! I probably spent more that that on my quad shocks as well. No stock shock is Ever worth a Damm!!

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Same opinion 8 of us who drove my BIL's rental Talon this weekend felt. Even the DS Can-am with the 64" suspension did better. I love the shifting option but thats it.

I love everything about the car, the fit and finish is great, the shifting even in automatic is on point, the power when you hit the throttle is instant...just have to work out the suspension bugs and hopefully it gets better....besides I am not Mexican enough for a Can-Am...LOL

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I sent our shocks to Weller racing for a revalue and drove it for the first time over 100 miles this weekend, it’s now a great handling car. The stutter bumps that used to shake your fillings out are no longer bad at all, the rear buck is eliminated, and the ride quality is improved everywhere. The car squats in the rear under hard acceleration, leans slightly to the outside like a good dirt car and handles a thousand times better. We drive it mid to full throttle most of the time and love the way it handles now.

I keep hearing Weller Racing is place to go, is your car the X or an R?

This is route I am probably going to go once I am ready to pull the trigger

pixrthis

Reaction score
I keep hearing Weller Racing is place to go, is your car the X or an R?

This is route I am probably going to go once I am ready to pull the trigger

Ours is an R with the Live Valve. They would have changed the springs if it wasn’t the Live Valve.
I got a quote from KDM in Oxnard for $3,400 but he couldn’t have them done when I needed them, he changes everything. I’m curious how much if any he could of made them.

DLC

Reaction score
Camp off Split mount road past the 2nd turn on the left side Half hill lake bed

or
follow split Mtn road to the train tracks go left along access road follow the road east for about a mile, camp off the trail

AF9B1E40-0B94-4E87-8527-AC6F81104875.jpeg

81eliminator

Reaction score
Race co is the shop for Talons, they make a lot of things. Jamie Campbell is the owner.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Race co is the shop for Talons, they make a lot of things. Jamie Campbell is the owner.

I've heard that, and it seems like he knows his shit, but I tried talking to him at the SandShow and then followed up with an email....and I just can't get past his arrogance...

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I've heard that, and it seems like he knows his shit, but I tried talking to him at the SandShow and then followed up with an email....and I just can't get past his arrogance...
Call shock therapy and be done with it they have it down to a science they go down the list of your car down to what tire and rim your running do make sure all the weight is calculated correctly

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
He is really good though!!! I’ve used him many times in the past when we had a sand car

kaandemir

Reaction score
I love Hondas dirtbikes but like others have said I didn't give the Talon a chance knowing it was 70+hp and 8-10" of suspension travel down to the can-am (this was a few years ago).

Last edited:

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Installed my chase light yesterday....that was a bitch...I am super anal about running wires and trying to keep everything as clean and hidden as much as possible...I tested the light before I started the work, light worked fine....took like a million body push pins off to get body panels off to run wiring...cut a nice hole for the rocker switch...hook the power up and NOTHING....fkn light would not turn on...read that the switch could be bad, tried a different switch...NOTHING still...was ready to tear everything out and throw it the trash....this light comes with about 6' of cable and you have to buy a cable extender to get the length you need for a 4 seater....I don't know what made me try it, but I disconnected that extension cable and connected my switch straight to the cable coming from the light and BAM full functionality of the light...apparently the problem the whole time was that extension cable, something must not have been wired correctly from the factory...I am headed to the light dealer today to get a new cable that hopefully works correctly.

chase.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Installed my chase light yesterday....that was a bitch...I am super anal about running wires and trying to keep everything as clean and hidden as much as possible...I tested the light before I started the work, light worked fine....took like a million body push pins off to get body panels off to run wiring...cut a nice hole for the rocker switch...hook the power up and NOTHING....fkn light would not turn on...read that the switch could be bad, tried a different switch...NOTHING still...was ready to tear everything out and throw it the trash....this light comes with about 6' of cable and you have to buy a cable extender to get the length you need for a 4 seater....I don't know what made me try it, but I disconnected that extension cable and connected my switch straight to the cable coming from the light and BAM full functionality of the light...apparently the problem the whole time was that extension cable, something must not have been wired correctly from the factory...I am headed to the light dealer today to get a new cable that hopefully works correctly.

View attachment 1181719

Was the extension long enough? On my old 4 seater I had the extension and had to add another couple feet to it. I just cut it in half and soldered in extensions.

Nice work either way. Those are great chase lights.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Was the extension long enough? On my old 4 seater I had the extension and had to add another couple feet to it. I just cut it in half and soldered in extensions.

Nice work either way. Those are great chase lights.

Yeah, I actually only need like 2' more then what comes on the light, so the extension is more then enough...for a split second last night I thought about cutting the cord and just trying to tie in some wire to gain that extra 2'...but then I realized it was the beer talking and I suck at soldering...lol

The Xprite warehouse is in Chino which is not far from me, I am going to head there today and get a new cable..

Badchoices03

Reaction score
The next thing is trying to figure out this hydraulic lift kit for the spare tire rack....the guy who built my cage sent me this as a "bolt" on system...but with no instructions....I could not figure it out for the life of me yesterday...I am not sure its a "bolt" on for my cage....seems like the angles are all wrong...I am going to message him today for some direction...

Don't mind the dirty car...lol

hing.jpg
hing1.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The next thing is trying to figure out this hydraulic lift kit for the spare tire rack....the guy who built my cage sent me this as a "bolt" on system...but with no instructions....I could not figure it out for the life of me yesterday...I am not sure its a "bolt" on for my cage....seems like the angles are all wrong...I am going to message him today for some direction...

View attachment 1181726 View attachment 1181727
Looks like you are on the right track.

I’d say you need to install it open, then pull it down to compress the struts and close it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont are these bright at night compared to Baja design or ridged

Yea the strobes on them are very bright. People could see me 1/2 mile away at night and had no problems in the dust during the daytime either. The red lights not so much unless you wire them up for full power all the time. The red lights can be used at running/brake lights or flashers.

For a rear facing chase light, I would not spend more than the $100 or so bucks for one of these.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

View attachment 1181726 View attachment 1181727
when the rack is closed the clamp (small) for the strut needs to be mount so the strut is fully shut too.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
So got the Rugged Mac Air pumper installed and wired correctly....and bought a Bell Qualifier helmet with air....and holy crap I don't know what took me so long to ever give air a chance...Ocotillo is dusty as hell, and hardly a spec of dust made into the helmet...

Still need to do something about the damn suspension though....the washboard was really bad this time, worse then I have ever seen Ocotillo, every trail and wash had them BAD....about shook my damn kidneys out....shook so bad my tablet for my gps shit the bed at some point...lol...told the wife we are not taking the car out again until we get that addressed...lol..

A thing to note, is on Thanksgiving weekend, I only saw 2 other Talons and they were both 2 seaters...but this trip I saw about six 2 seaters and four or five 4 seaters...saw one 4 seater same color as mine, but sounded fkn awesome on the gas through some heavy whoops....I have to guess that it was turbo and long traveled, but I wouldn't know because I couldn't catch him to find out....LOL

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So got the Rugged Mac Air pumper installed and wired correctly....and bought a Bell Qualifier helmet with air....and holy crap I don't know what took me so long to ever give air a chance...Ocotillo is dusty as hell, and hardly a spec of dust made into the helmet...

Still need to do something about the damn suspension though....the washboard was really bad this time, worse then I have ever seen Ocotillo, every trail and wash had them BAD....about shook my damn kidneys out....shook so bad my tablet for my gps shit the bed at some point...lol...told the wife we are not taking the car out again until we get that addressed...lol..

A thing to note, is on Thanksgiving weekend, I only saw 2 other Talons and they were both 2 seaters...but this trip I saw about six 2 seaters and four or five 4 seaters...saw one 4 seater same color as mine, but sounded fkn awesome on the gas through some heavy whoops....I have to guess that it was turbo and long traveled, but I wouldn't know because I couldn't catch him to find out....LOL
Question do the shocks have clickers to adjust them

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Question do the shocks have clickers to adjust them

Yes, just a 1,2,3 position from I guess "soft" to firm....to be honest I tried them in all positions and also a variety of positions...and I really didnt notice a significant difference.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Yes, just a 1,2,3 position from I guess "soft" to firm....to be honest I tried them in all positions and also a variety of positions...and I really didnt notice a significant difference.
Dose it look like the stock shock springs collapsed already if they are already blown out then no matter what you do the ride will not in prove at all until you at least do new springs all around and have your shocks revalued

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Dose it look like the stock shock springs collapsed already if they are already blown out then no matter what you do the ride will not in prove at all until you at least do new springs all around and have your shocks revalued

Yeah I am most likely going to go the Weller Racing route and have them re-valved and re-sprung...although I do have a call and email into SDI to see what they recommend...they are local to me and would save some time and shipping costs..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah I am most likely going to go the Weller Racing route and have them re-valved and re-sprung...although I do have a call and email into SDI to see what they recommend...they are local to me and would save some time and shipping costs..

Good call. SDI was very good to work with. I think this change will transform the car for you.