WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smudge Pot anyone?

JayBreww

Reaction score
I'll also take one if you can get em [emoji1303]

Meaney77

Reaction score
Give this guy a call, he is in Rialto at the 210/15. He has an Instagram page and sells them. 909-702-6995

Smglamis

Reaction score
I just bought two last weekend. They are awesome put off a bunch of heat. I was a little scared lighting it at first but now that I've seen it operate, I confident and Ill use it all the time!!!

77charger

Reaction score
Been using one for atleast 10 years and they are great.I hate burning oil it really makes a mess inside after a short time.I prefer gas diesel mix usually 1 gallon diesel then top off with gas.When i light it i drop a napkin from the top or put it in the bottom hole light with a bbq light step back.It just does a quick poof then lights fast.If i run out or low while on i will add diesel to it to keep it on.

Been doing it like this the whole time but i recomend straight diesel til you figure out the lighting process.

77charger

Reaction score
Like said they do work great i use mine at home often on the weekends too.

But if its windy they dont work that great which is the downside im looking to get another one soon already have 2.I mentioned in last post i mainly burn gas but noticed when i have 2 running last trip one had mainly diesel one mostly gas and the one with diesel easily went an hour longer with about the same amount.I usually avg about an hr per gallon mostly gas diesel about 1.5 at full bore.

arch stanton

Reaction score
They are most efficient when tuned using the holes in the fill cover, they make a noise that is a little hard to describe maybe fluttering yum

BajaMike

Reaction score
I used to light off hundreds of acres of them in the orange groves in Riverside when I was in high school. They really warm up a grove if it's not windy.

I'm sure the Air Quality Management District (AQMD) would have a shit fit if you used them now......those ass holes want to ban BBQs and gas powered lawn mowers.

They would be great out in the desert.

They were so nice on those cold nights!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I used to light off hundreds of acres of them in the orange groves in Riverside when I was in high school. They really warm up a grove if it's not windy.

I'm sure the Air Quality Management District (AQMD) would have a shit fit if you used them now......those ass holes want to ban BBQs and gas powered lawn mowers.

They would be great out in the desert.

They were so nice on those cold nights!
I remember those days the black haze in the sky. It was bad after a night of running them.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I was at a party in high school when there was one going. The lid on the bottom wasn't on, and I think they were running straight diesel. Well, the thing had a runaway. It was throwing 20' flames out the top, and it was under a pine tree, and started the pine tree on fire. Some jack ass grabbed a garden hose and hit the pot with the water, and fuel jumped out all over the yard, and fire was running down the side yard. That's about when I left. I passed a couple of fire engines coming the other way. I think the kid that threw the party got busted big time.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
A little off topic , but does anyone recall these small smudge pots , were used as road flares and danger markers prior to battery operated deals ;)
oil pot.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
They are most efficient when tuned using the holes in the fill cover, they make a noise that is a little hard to describe maybe fluttering yum

I was told each hole on the cap is a rough estimate of how much fuel you will burn, not sure if that true... Each hole represents ~1L of fuel so 1 hole open= 1L/ hour, 2 open= 2L per hour and 3 open is 3L per hour.

Kind of makes sense if the bucket holds 7 gallons of fuel and it burning hot with all 3 open= 3L or ~1 gallon of fuel per hour a full bucket will last ~7 hours.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I was told each hole on the cap is a rough estimate of how much fuel you will burn, not sure if that true... Each hole represents ~1L of fuel so 1 hole open= 1L/ hour, 2 open= 2L per hour and 3 open is 3L per hour.

Kind of makes sense if the bucket holds 7 gallons of fuel and it burning hot with all 3 open= 3L or ~1 gallon of fuel per hour a full bucket will last ~7 hours.

I have found it highly dependent on the mixture of fuel you burn. Pure clean diesel burns the fastest and hottest. 50:50 diesel/oil slows the consumption and heat. The more oil you can burn the better mileage you get. Pure peanut oil from the turkey fryer is the best for terraforming your camp into a french fryer. An advanced move is burning old gas in it, but I won't elaborate on that for fear of someone without the proper certifications trying it....

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Boy, that’s taken it back a few years. Remember in the early 60’s these being through a stretch on I40 in Tennessee.
Thanks for the flashback!

oil-pot-jpg.539525

A little off topic , but does anyone recall these small smudge pots , were used as road flares and danger markers prior to battery operated deals ;)
View attachment 539525

Blast from the wayback past...first time I've thought of those things since I saw them when I was little kid in Miami. It also reminded me of the chain gangs working on the interstates back then. Now they're all living a cushy life with TV's, law school education for free and early release.

Those were the good old days

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Back on the farm the little ball like thing was a "smudge pot" - not good for much more than lighting a path.

The tall heater shown here you guys call a "smudge pot" we called a " barn heater" and we used old motor oil (filtered through a frantz TP filter from two stacked 50 gall barrels) mixed w Kerosene and diesel in it Grandpa has his own ratio to get it burning clean and hot as the hinges of hell.

Then we had another one with a T tube on the top and a giant fan on one end that really threw out the BTU's we called a " salamander".

UD

Zell

Reaction score
I got this pot from my neighbor who wanted to make a bird bath with it. What is the difference between Pots with reburners and without? I want to protect my banana trees in the back yard without smoking the whole neighborhood. And how does the wick work exactly. Is that just a lit material that starts the fire or something like a candle?

Attachments

• 20200121_064118.jpg
    20200121_064118.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200121_064100.jpg
    20200121_064100.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20200121_064036.jpg
    20200121_064036.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 223

Meaney77

Reaction score
I got this pot from my neighbor who wanted to make a bird bath with it. What is the difference between Pots with reburners and without? I want to protect my banana trees in the back yard without smoking the whole neighborhood. And how does the wick work exactly. Is that just a lit material that starts the fire or something like a candle?

The ones without the reburners smoke a lot more.
The wick is just that- a wick. I always just stuff a paper towel in the opening and light it. You dont need the wick for it to work.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
The ones without the reburners smoke a lot more.

yup, 100% here, they also dont quite generate the same level of heat.

I normally start them with a few paper towels, twisted tightly into a wick. I've also seen people start them with a bernzomatic type torch. It MIGHT be harder to start those shorties w/ out the reburner though, I base this assumption on the fact I can hear the reburner start working almost immediately once you get it rolling.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I normally start them with a few paper towels, twisted tightly into a wick. I've also seen people start them with a bernzomatic type torch. It MIGHT be harder to start those shorties w/ out the reburner though, I base this assumption on the fact I can hear the reburner start working almost immediately once you get it rolling.

This method works well too!!!

81Sprint

Reaction score
Love mine! took it and a ton of firewood to Dumont, didnt even need the firewood

Smudge pot 1.jpg
Smudge pot.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
I have a couple of them for about 14 years one i use weekly for my backyard on the weekends.That one i usually just burn straight unleaded it doesnt burn as long as diesel does but it also doesnt smoke when you shut it off either and burns very clean.

For deserts i will burn diesel with a gallon of unleaded to get it fired up quicker.I notice diesel will burn about 1.5 hours per gallon and gas about 50-60 minutes per gallon.As far as oil that shit will burn but will smell like shit when shut down and also leaves a big mess inside the pot too.

If you are new with them i would only burn diesel til you learn them but you would be surprised how mellow unleaded starts up you dont get the boom or explosion you would think more like a quick swish then kick the fill lid shut and its burning.Straight diesel needs a good fire to get going or it will make a diesel rollin coal look like nothing but once burning its great.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have a couple of them for about 14 years one i use weekly for my backyard on the weekends.That one i usually just burn straight unleaded it doesnt burn as long as diesel does but it also doesnt smoke when you shut it off either and burns very clean.

For deserts i will burn diesel with a gallon of unleaded to get it fired up quicker.I notice diesel will burn about 1.5 hours per gallon and gas about 50-60 minutes per gallon.As far as oil that shit will burn but will smell like shit when shut down and also leaves a big mess inside the pot too.

If you are new with them i would only burn diesel til you learn them but you would be surprised how mellow unleaded starts up you dont get the boom or explosion you would think more like a quick swish then kick the fill lid shut and its burning.Straight diesel needs a good fire to get going or it will make a diesel rollin coal look like nothing but once burning its great.

It’s all how much air you let in, when I burn diesel if it starts getting really dark smoke I adjust the intake dial and it cleans right up when you lean it out- literally just like a carb.

I had no idea you could burn straight gas in these things, not sure I’m man enough to try.

4Waters

Reaction score
It’s all how much air you let in, when I burn diesel if it starts getting really dark smoke I adjust the intake dial and it cleans right up when you lean it out- literally just like a carb.

I had no idea you could burn straight gas in these things, not sure I’m man enough to try.
You don't have big enough balls:D don't worry me eithero_O:D

77charger

Reaction score

Once burning diesel is great its getting it started i like to keep the lid fil lid open til its lit good then close the lid but holes wide open til its burning then adjust to where i want it.

As for gas like said burns great i either drop a burnt napkin from above into it or a long napkin light with bbq lighter step back.But with a gas diesel mix i get more of a puff when it ignites why i dont know. Trans fluid burns pretty good too but good when mixed in with diesel or gas

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Gas??? Yikes. I never even thought to try it. That’s some expert level shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherpa

Reaction score
we used to run heater pots back in the 70's....... lite them with a torch and push em off the skid
as you idled thru the orchard at 2 am.... fun. not.

my son refuels his while it's still burning....... I think he's nuts.

--Sherpa

Outdrive1

Reaction score
IMG_1803.jpg

Mind has the China hat. Getting ready to fire it up now.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
IMG_1805.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Do you have to drain it before you transport it? How heavy are they?

Someone had one at the boat drags in November. It worked great. I had never seen one before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
31D863EF-E5D7-419A-9EA8-7EF5B2FF723E.jpeg
View attachment 837472

I use mine weekly, I bought a 2’ section of ducting and added it to the smudge, it puts out way more heat because there is more metal surface, seems like it burns less fuel too because there is more exposed metal also keeps the fumes up over everyone’s head. Might be worth looking into.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Do you have to drain it before you transport it? How heavy are they?

Someone had one at the boat drags in November. It worked great. I had never seen one before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have a few, I have one for home and one in my trailer for camping. They aren’t to heavy when full of diesel, they are more messy than anything. I always try and burn them empty before loading it up and heading home. I always seem to get black soot on my clothes.

sintax

Reaction score

Yup, same principals as your diesel truck. Just dial back the "carb" a bit to lean it out and it'll burn clean and lean. If you are seeing black smoke thats unburnt fuel rolling dollars out your exhaust. Not saying its not fun!

77charger

Reaction score
my son refuels his while it's still burning....... I think he's nuts.

--Sherpa
Ive done the same ill keep a gallon or 2 of diesel if we stay up later than planned pop fill lid refill while its burning.But it gets pretty warm while doing so and you best not be a spooked easy kind of person.If you miss the hole you will have some flames around and not a good thing.

Friend of ours whos not to bright tried to do the same instead he grabbed a can of gas heard almost burned down the camp.(only attempt with diesel or kerosene only!)

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I've had one for years, but just use it as yard art. After seeing this thread and watching a few you tube vids. I'm going to have to fire it up.
20200122_171845.jpg

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Ive done the same ill keep a gallon or 2 of diesel if we stay up later than planned pop fill lid refill while its burning.But it gets pretty warm while doing so and you best not be a spooked easy kind of person.If you miss the hole you will have some flames around and not a good thing.

Friend of ours whos not to bright tried to do the same instead he grabbed a can of gas heard almost burned down the camp.(only attempt with diesel or kerosene only!)

IMG_1880.jpg

Diesel is not going to explode. lol.

77charger

Reaction score
View attachment 838085

Diesel is not going to explode. lol.

I know diesel wont explode but will burn wherever its spilled.Ive refilled many times as they burn luckily most of it does land inside as i pour it.

Dumbone who accidently grabbed the gas can realized it when it caught fire he backed up then tossed can from what i heard.

LowVoltSD

Reaction score
I sell them if anyone needs one. I am located in Ramona CA in San Diego but also bring them out to my brothers house in Havasu every so often. I burned 45 gallons of used motor oil through 2 of mine out at superstition this past weekend. Great way to get rid of the oil and easy to transport the oil in 2.5 gallon DEF jugs. Splash a little diesel or kerosene on top of the oil and it will last all night. I run a double stack on mine to get the smoke up and away and they put off more heat as well.
upload_2020-1-22_18-51-42.jpeg

Meaney77

Reaction score
I sell them if anyone needs one. I am located in Ramona CA in San Diego but also bring them out to my brothers house in Havasu every so often. I burned 45 gallons of used motor oil through 2 of mine out at superstition this past weekend. Great way to get rid of the oil and easy to transport the oil in 2.5 gallon DEF jugs. Splash a little diesel or kerosene on top of the oil and it will last all night. I run a double stack on mine to get the smoke up and away and they put off more heat as well.
View attachment 838122

Holy Shit, where do you find 45 gallons of used motor oil??!!!

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
Go to any shop

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk