WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smudge Pot anyone?

white tortilla

Reaction score
i got one i love this thing, guess they are also called orchard heaters? i was in the keys one night by RDs place and this guy had one, needless to say i had to find one......

so bitchen, burn my old LUCAS OIL in it. great winter weather toy. contributing to the global warming possibly?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360900148.964158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
i got one i love this thing, guess they are also called orchard heaters? i was in the keys one night by RDs place and this guy had one, needless to say i had to find one......

so bitchen, burn my old LUCAS OIL in it. great winter weather toy. contributing to the global warming possibly?

I burn used oil in mine too. Usually take it out to the desert. We get it cranking and that entire exhaust is glowing orange. They work awesome :thumbup:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
what all can you burn in it? I think Diesel, oil......what else? Where did u get it?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Where do you get them? I'd like to get a couple.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I've got about 10 of them out in the orange grove at my parents place, I have yet to light them when we get a freeze. Truth be told we have oranges coming out our ass already and losing some of the crop is just fine. They were originally made by Scheu steel in upland and played a major part in protecting the local citrus crops during the occasional freeze.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I would like to have one,

white tortilla

Reaction score
sketchy fillin it up!!! i found mine on craiglist its super old. use oil with a lil diesel

GET SOME

Reaction score
After I saw od1 pictures I want one. eBay does not gives them away

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Well if anyone has a lead on a couple let me know. Wonder what the legalities are of using one at my house in Torrance? I doubt my neighbors would really enjoy me using it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Well if anyone has a lead on a couple let me know. Wonder what the legalities are of using one at my house in Torrance? I doubt my neighbors would really enjoy me using it.

I used mine in my backyard in HB and its tiny. Diesel smokes the least. Citronella was the worst. Mine has the lid on it which is rare and directs the majority of the heat downwards.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
They were originally made by Scheu steel in upland and played a major part in protecting the local citrus crops during the occasional freeze.

Thats right. I grew up right across the street from the Sheu family. Mark Scheu taught me how to ride dirtbikes in their lemon grove. :)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I used mine in my backyard in HB and its tiny. Diesel smokes the least. Citronella was the worst. Mine has the lid on it which is rare and directs the majority of the heat downwards.

I'm just wondering if a neighbor called the FD on me would it be considered illegal or something. Have to look into it.

JBS

Reaction score
Thats right. I grew up right across the street from the Sheu family. Mark Scheu taught me how to ride dirtbikes in their lemon grove. :)

But the Sheu's had a house. You slept in the dirt and called them pussy's :D

Sent from my iPhone

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have used numerous smudge pot as outdoor patio heaters in the desert. By the look of the picture of the lit units posted, I can tell you those are not "tuned" properly. You should not have the large (neato) flame bursting out the top. There should be a oxygen disc on the fill hole with 3 graduated holes that will be opened as you adjust. Think of the air vent on a webber bbq. If you tune it correctly they will burn super "clean" to the naked eye. You should be getting the heat from the middle of the stack where the louvers are not out the top. About 50/50 diesel to oil is optimum for a clean burning mix. Unfortunately, there is no way to start them without huge amounts of Black Smoke, until it heats up and starts working correctly, so your neighbors would most likely not dig that. You should be able to burn one all night long (until sunset) on 5 gallons of diesel and 4/5 gallons of waste oil, maybe longer. I will get two reasonable party nights out of 5 gals/5 gals...... two atv style 5 gallon containers sure beats a truck bed full of wood for the desert, IMO... If you run them wide open like the pictures for a hour I bet you couldnt stand within 10-15 feet of the thing... And you can melt the stack down (dont ask how I know)....

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have used numerous smudge pot as outdoor patio heaters in the desert. By the look of the picture of the lit units posted, I can tell you those are not "tuned" properly. You should not have the large (neato) flame bursting out the top. There should be a oxygen disc on the fill hole with 3 graduated holes that will be opened as you adjust. Think of the air vent on a webber bbq. If you tune it correctly they will burn super "clean" to the naked eye. You should be getting the heat from the middle of the stack where the louvers are not out the top. About 50/50 diesel to oil is optimum for a clean burning mix. Unfortunately, there is no way to start them without huge amounts of Black Smoke, until it heats up and starts working correctly, so your neighbors would most likely not dig that. You should be able to burn one all night long (until sunset) on 5 gallons of diesel and 4/5 gallons of waste oil, maybe longer. I will get two reasonable party nights out of 5 gals/5 gals...... two atv style 5 gallon containers sure beats a truck bed full of wood for the desert, IMO... If you run them wide open like the pictures for a hour I bet you couldnt stand within 10-15 feet of the thing... And you can melt the stack down (dont ask how I know)....

Couple of things. First I've been running straight diesel in it. It seems to run clean and smoke free that way. Second it's turned up for the effect of taking a picture. I usually run it with about half of one of the holes in the oxygen vent open. That's usually plenty. I have no doubt you could melt the stack down.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Couple of things. First I've been running straight diesel in it. It seems to run clean and smoke free that way. Second it's turned up for the effect of taking a picture. I usually run it with about half of one of the holes in the oxygen vent open. That's usually plenty. I have no doubt you could melt the stack down.

Baller!.. straight diesel is the primo $$$ way to light it up. I couldn't agree more... I just try to slow the fuel consumption by cutting with the oil. I also believe you could clean it up even more with high grade Kerosene.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop them before the fuel runs out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop them before the fuel runs out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You close the vent and the lid on top and wait patiently, lol.

NAFLASH

Reaction score
I've been using em' for years. They work pretty dang awesome.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Just picked a few of these over the weekend and they kick ass!! Bought them for camping but also work great for the weekend neighborhood front yard white trash gathering as well.

Doing my part to keep the globe warm 7 gallons at a time!!

IMG_1424.jpg

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Just picked a few of these over the weekend and they kick ass!! Bought them for camping but also work great for the weekend neighborhood front yard white trash gathering as well.

Doing my part to keep the globe warm 7 gallons at a time!!

View attachment 539057

I've been calling people for the last two weeks trying to pick one up to no avail. I will get my hands on one

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They are bad ass, but can definitely make a mess if people act like assholes and throw shit (like sandwhiches) in them while they are burning.. They can also get real out of control if someone blows an airhose into the vent hole.. LOL

Someone either gave me one or left one at my house for a long time down in Parker.. After the second time of cleaning up the mess the next day I told someone else (can't remember who) "You want this thing? Take this piece of shit out of here" and went back to the tried and true patio heater.

In terms of cost effective heat output though, NOTHING can come close to a Smudge pot..

RD

Meaney77

Reaction score
My wife and a few neighbors looked at me funny and gave me shit for lighting it up. Talking a bunch of shit about how unhealthy and how white trashy we looked in the front yard but they came to their senses and stopped the comments once it was blazing hot!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Corona. The only people that seem to have them are in the south counties like Temecula but they never return calls lol

I have a number for you for a guy in Rialto, I can send you a message if you want.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I found mine in an orange grove on San Timoteo rd. There are still a lot of them just laying in some of the orange groves. Found a guy working in the groves and he gave me one.
I have not lit mine yet, how do you put them out?

Wadernation

Reaction score
I found mine in an orange grove on San Timoteo rd. There are still a lot of them just laying in some of the orange groves. Found a guy working in the groves and he gave me one.

mine has a lid that hinges at the top and flaps closed. But it will stink and smoke pretty bad once the lid goes on and it burns out. Then again i burn some pretty hazmat quality crap in mine so maybe thats why?

Meaney77

Reaction score

Close the flap on top and close the air intake dial where you dump fuel into. Dies out and cools down surprisingly quick.

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
IMG_9854.jpg

Now i know what these things are for in the corner of my shop! [emoji51]

707dog

Reaction score
hell now i know what iv seen out in the fields on my way to the lake all these years( i'ms a city boy) never had a clue of what they were