WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shoot and Share Video Cameras

RiverOtter

Got Any Pics
Reaction score
Anybody have any advise here? I was going to buy the Flip then noticed Kodak makes a waterproof model. I just read a bad review on the Kodak and am hoping one of y'all has some experience.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Anybody have any advise here? I was going to buy the Flip then noticed Kodak makes a waterproof model. I just read a bad review on the Kodak and am hoping one of y'all has some experience.

Opinion= Don't get anything Kodak, get a Sony handycam camcorder :thumbsup

Motor Boater

Reaction score
If your into photography buy one of the newer DSLR cameras. The video capabilities are incredible. Guys are shooting movies with these things and they also have the ability to take incredible photos with the same unit.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have had a standard flip for a couple years....takes ok video

Like mentioned above I'm not a fan of Koda but I like that waterproof deal and the fact that you can install standard mounts.

I want to either buy one of the Kodaks or HD Heros. (The hero isn't really a point and film camera though)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I have had a standard flip for a couple years....takes ok video

Like mentioned above I'm not a fan of Koda but I like that waterproof deal and the fact that you can install standard mounts.

I want to either buy one of the Kodaks or HD Heros. (The hero isn't really a point and film camera though)

They have These out for the Go Pro's now so you can actually see what your shooting now. I was gonna get it but we ended up getting a nice Cannon HD camcorder from my parents for christmas.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
They have These out for the Go Pro's now so you can actually see what your shooting now. I was gonna get it but we ended up getting a nice Cannon HD camcorder from my parents for christmas.

Thats another $80.00 on top of $200

The Kodak is $108 with free shipping at amazon:D:skull

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
The Kodak play sport is a great video camera for the price. Software is actually very easy to use. I have several regular Kodak video cameras and regular cameras and they have worked well. With 4 kids and a camera happy wife, i've got more footage and photos than I can deal with.

The go-pro and the kodak play sport are really not comparable. I've got a couple Oregon Scientific ATK 1000, which are about the same price as the Kodak, and the ATK is crap compared to the Kodak. But, the ATK was first on the scene and the only choice at that price point for a while. They were great if you never wanted to view the video on anything bigger than a 4" x 4" screen, which made them great for youtube type videos. They now have better models, but they exceed the price of the GoPro at less features and quality.

I was just talking to CigAlert yesterday about the PlaySport. He agreed, for the price, the Kodak play sport is the best deal out there. The play sport software is actually quite good. The stability control is kind of hit and miss depending on what is causing the picture to be unstable. Much higher resolution than all the other choices at that price point, and a wider viewing angle that the others at the same price point. Not to mention none of the competition has stability control at the same price point.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The Kodak play sport is a great video camera for the price. Software is actually very easy to use. I have several regular Kodak video cameras and regular cameras and they have worked well. With 4 kids and a camera happy wife, i've got more footage and photos than I can deal with.

The go-pro and the kodak play sport are really not comparable. I've got a couple Oregon Scientific ATK 1000, which are about the same price as the Kodak, and the ATK is crap compared to the Kodak. But, the ATK was first on the scene and the only choice at that price point for a while. They were great if you never wanted to view the video on anything bigger than a 4" x 4" screen, which made them great for youtube type videos. They now have better models, but they exceed the price of the GoPro at less features and quality.

I was just talking to CigAlert yesterday about the PlaySport. He agreed, for the price, the Kodak play sport is the best deal out there. The play sport software is actually quite good. The stability control is kind of hit and miss depending on what is causing the picture to be unstable. Much higher resolution than all the other choices at that price point, and a wider viewing angle that the others at the same price point. Not to mention none of the competition has stability control at the same price point.

How different would the picture be on say the playsport/HD hero when mounted on a boat or rhino?

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
I have a Kodak Playsport, it's a good camera for what I use it for. It also takes pretty decent video...

RiverOtter

Got Any Pics
Reaction score
The negative I read on the Kodak was a grainy video, and no light / flash. I have since found out that the Flip has a waterproof case (good to 30' I think). I would love to step to a Canon SLR but I want something I can stuff in my pocket or not care if it gets banged around.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
I have some videos on my PC that I took with mine, I can't upload them here. IMO for what the camera costs it takes pretty damn good video, it even has the HD option.

toon

Reaction score
Have both the zi8 and the zx3. Both take good video even in low light and I don't think are grainy. Use the zi8 more indoors and the zx3 outdoors since it can get wet. As far as a inexpensive means of taking video these things are hard to beat.

cave

Reaction score
lets see some video. I'm stepping into one of these before Summer. Go Pro is at the top of my list but if a flip or kodak takes as good a vid as the Go pro in 720. Why spend the extra 200

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
How different would the picture be on say the playsport/HD hero when mounted on a boat or rhino?

Cig said the play sport didn't handle the prop cavitation on a boat very well...got distorted, even some horizontal lines. He said it the stability control is not effective for vibrations, but more stability in making a camera holder who might be shakey or all over the place look more fluid.

That was based on mounting the play sport on the back of a boat and fairly limited use. If he signs on and sees this, I'm sure he'll expand or correct anything I might have mis-interpreted. :D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If your looking for a camera to mount on a boat or offroad vehicle I'd go with the go pro. But if it's just for carrying around in your pocket for some quick videos the flip or kodak may be better. Or just use your phone. My new iPhone takes some pretty good video.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If your looking for a camera to mount on a boat or offroad vehicle I'd go with the go pro. But if it's just for carrying around in your pocket for some quick videos the flip or kodak may be better. Or just use your phone. My new iPhone takes some pretty good video.

I would like a decent video camera that works for everything. I don't want to buy a $200 gopro that dosent work for family vehicles becuse it would be a waste.

I don't want to make movie history but it would be cool if I could do some family,boating and teryx videos.

Pretty dangerous holding a cell phone for videos at 50 mph over rough terrain with 1 hand:D:bash:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I would like a decent video camera that works for everything. I don't want to buy a $200 gopro that dosent work for family vehicles becuse it would be a waste.

I don't want to make movie history but it would be cool if I could do some family,boating and teryx videos.

Pretty dangerous holding a cell phone for videos at 50 mph over rough terrain with 1 hand:D:bash:

Then go with the kodak one and quit complaining. Or get power steering on the Terex so you can drive with one hand. Not sure on the mounting options with it though. You may be able to piece something together with some Ram mounts. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Then go with the kodak one and quit complaining. Or get power steering on the Terex so you can drive with one hand. Not sure on the mounting options with it though. You may be able to piece something together with some Ram mounts. :D

6c0003ec-9c08-d5bc.jpg

I'm not buying anything right now I'm broke...lol:D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Nice try. I'm not falling for it. :D

I think were the same level of broke....

Always have something stashed but my savings isn't really getting any larger. Tax season stung this year compared to refunds of the past in a big way...lol:bash:;):rolleyes:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I think were the same level of broke....

Always have something stashed but my savings isn't really getting any larger. Tax season stung this year compared to refunds of the past in a big way...lol:bash:;):rolleyes:

I'm holding off as long as I can on that filing a tax return BS. I went exempt for like 4 months. :eek:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm holding off as long as I can on that filing a tax return BS. I went exempt for like 4 months. :eek:

We made 30K more this year and the loan mod knocked my write off intrest in half. (I'm not complaining)

I owe the state a little and am getting enough back from the feds to pay off 1/3 of the vet bills....not what I was expecting:skull:swear:monkey: