WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shocks for a 3500 Mega....it's time. Whats the best long term option.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I'm going to drive this truck till the wheels fall off, original owner. 2020 Ram 3500 Megacab. A/T tire stock height. 55k miles. AZ Based, but the truck is in Montana, and Washington at least yearly each. I haul two Skidoo 850 Sleds on a deck for 1k+ mi each direction to WA/MT and back yearly, as well as probably every other weekend to the flag area Jan-Mar/April. Standard off the shelf stuff or something like a fox/king rebuildable? It's time, I noticed it today more than others. Right at 55k miles. 85% highway, 10% city, 5% trails in the winter to the snowparks.

I have no intention of a lift or anything else...its already a butthole puckering experience loading sleds on this thing. I tow an Advantage X-flight 29, and a 24+4 v nose enclosed car hauler with this truck. I have the factory RAM air system so auto airbags.

IMG_4448.JPG

BigAl96

Reaction score
go with fox or icon 2.0s all the way around I run them on my super duty and they seem to ride and carry weight better than others I have tried. The rebuildables are designed more for off roading (I run them on my raptor) and dont typically have the same service life or load carrying ability and they cost substantially more.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Fox 2.0, cheap and rebuildable.
Might have to adjust the preload on the coilovers so you don’t get any lift…they typically come setup for an inch or two of lift.

Progressive valving and an Internal floating piston is gonna be better than any emulsion shock.

We have this setup on wifeys suburban and are very happy with it.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Keeping it stock, I’d say Bilsteins or Fox 2.0 IFPs. No reason to go beyond those unless you’re going to start changing springs, etc.

The standard Fox 2.0 are not rebuildable, only the remote res 2.0s are- and they are 600ish a pair. You could buy three sets of Billy’s for that. My truck came with a set of leveling pucks and the Fox 2.0 remote res shocks, I don’t think it’s worth it with stock springs.

I now have a full Thuren suspension with 2.0 RRs, and the front is a massive improvement- but the rear on these air ride trucks ride like shit empty and lightly loaded no matter what shocks you run.

If you want the Fox remote res 2.0s I removed, you can have them- but they will need to be rebuilt, and the rears will probably need shafts- so it’s probably not worth the cost.

pronstar

Reaction score
The standard Fox 2.0 are not rebuildable, only the remote res 2.0s are- and they are 600ish a pair. You could buy three sets of Billy’s for that. My truck came with a set of leveling pucks and the Fox 2.0 remote res shocks, I don’t think it’s worth it with stock springs.

I thought all 2.0’s were rebuildable?

Might be a moot point, they’re cheap enough to simply replace vs rebuild when we consider labor and down-time

IMG_0458.png

counterpart7

Reaction score

Might be a moot point, they’re cheap enough to simply replace vs rebuild when we consider labor and down-time
You are correct. Fox 2.0s are 100% rebuildable. I just rebuilt a pair for my Duramax. Not the easiest to rebuild and you need somewhat specialty tools but anybody that can rebuild standard Fox/King/ADS can easily handle them.

To the OP, Fox 2.0 or Bilstein 5100s are the way to go. Bilsteins are cheaper and ride great. Fox's look cool and are rebuildable. They will both ride very similarly on the road with maybe a little advantage to Fox.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score

View attachment 1255095
You are correct. Fox 2.0s are 100% rebuildable. I just rebuilt a pair for my Duramax. Not the easiest to rebuild and you need somewhat specialty tools but anybody that can rebuild standard Fox/King/ADS can easily handle them.

To the OP, Fox 2.0 or Bilstein 5100s are the way to go. Bilsteins are cheaper and ride great. Fox's look cool and are rebuildable. They will both ride very similarly on the road with maybe a little advantage to Fox.
I stand corrected.
If you plan to keep it, look at Thuren suspension. I would say a set of 2.5 kings will do the trick. All depends how much you want to spend.
I agree that Thuren suspension is a huge improvement on these trucks, but Kings are complete overkill unless you’re overheating IFPs. A truck with factory rear air ride and 20” wheels isn’t going to ride good enough to “boogie” off-road and heat up the shocks. I’m going down this rabbit hole on my truck right now. Not to mention Thuren Kings are a 6-12 month wait after you order.

pronstar

Reaction score
I stand corrected.

I agree that Thuren suspension is a huge improvement on these trucks, but Kings are complete overkill unless you’re overheating IFPs. A truck with factory rear air ride and 20” wheels isn’t going to ride good enough to “boogie” off-road and heat up the shocks. I’m going down this rabbit hole on my truck right now. Not to mention Thuren Kings are a 6-12 month wait after you order.

Yeah as much as i wanted to put 2.5” Kings on the wife’s mall cruiser, i just couldn’t justify the expense and wait for a truck that’s on Michelin street tires and will never go off-road.

I do think there would have been an improvement in ride quality, but at what cost…the jump from “regular” shocks to IFP 2.0 is greater than the jump from IFP 2.0 to 2.5, methinks

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I have 8 pairs of shocks on the side yard that I would sell some are new just dirty

Cooter01

Reaction score
I stand corrected.

I disagree. A buddy is a contractor, drives roughly 20k miles a year. He did the bilstein 5100 series shocks, 2.0 foxes, and 2.5 kings. Mindful the bilstein and fox are out of the box tuning for his application, where with the kings he told Don exactly what/how he used the truck and was NOT upgrading springs or anything like that. After he got the kings, he told me the truck rides so much better and soaks up the larger potholes and bumps better. I agreed with him after riding in it. They also control the truck better while towing. You do not have to "boogie" to have 2.5 shocks. Also, the 2.5 shocks are rebuildable, his shocks are shoot 7-8 years old now? He orders a new truck every 4-6 years for work. When he orders the new truck, he rebuilds the 2.5 shocks so they are ready for the next truck, mainly just a fluid change he tells me, since he isn't really work the truck off road in party mode. The larger diameter piston with lighter valving helps control the truck better over a 2.0 diameter shock is what I am getting at. He has that on his website to warn customers still. I placed an order at the end of April for some 3.0 shocks from him and he said be around 3-5 months as King has been catching up.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I disagree. A buddy is a contractor, drives roughly 20k miles a year. He did the bilstein 5100 series shocks, 2.0 foxes, and 2.5 kings. Mindful the bilstein and fox are out of the box tuning for his application, where with the kings he told Don exactly what/how he used the truck and was NOT upgrading springs or anything like that. After he got the kings, he told me the truck rides so much better and soaks up the larger potholes and bumps better. I agreed with him after riding in it. They also control the truck better while towing. You do not have to "boogie" to have 2.5 shocks. Also, the 2.5 shocks are rebuildable, his shocks are shoot 7-8 years old now? He orders a new truck every 4-6 years for work. When he orders the new truck, he rebuilds the 2.5 shocks so they are ready for the next truck, mainly just a fluid change he tells me, since he isn't really work the truck off road in party mode. The larger diameter piston with lighter valving helps control the truck better over a 2.0 diameter shock is what I am getting at. He has that on his website to warn customers still. I placed an order at the end of April for some 3.0 shocks from him and he said be around 3-5 months as King has been catching up.
Is this a 3500 factory air ride truck? What tires and wheels is he running?

I have the same truck as the OP, but a ‘17. It came with a set of leveling pucks on the front and 2.0 RR foxes all around. Ride was similar to stock.

I installed Thuren 1.75” front springs, with Boogie Bumps, trackbar, swaybar, Fox TS stabilizer, and Thuren tuned 2.0 RR Fox shocks F/R.

The truck is on 35x12.5R20 Nittos. I run 42-48 front/ 30-38 rear (empty), and increase pressures the appropriate amount when loaded according to the Toyo/ Nitto load chart.

The front rides great both empty and loaded- and so does the back when I’m towing. Empty, the rear rides like shit. The problem is the factory rear leaf pack has 3 thick leaves and is crazy stiff. My fifth wheel toyhauler has over 2000 pounds of pin weight empty- and it is too light to engage “alt ride height.”

I understand it’s a 1 ton truck, and on 20s, but I’ve been in non air ride leaf spring trucks with similar tire and wheel setups and they typically ride much better. I had a Thuren equipped ‘16 2500 prior to this truck, and the coils were better empty (obviously) but I’m not a fan of the coils when towing heavy.

My next step is going to be some 17” wheels and tires, I would love to jump to 37s but I use this truck primarily to tow, and carry a full-size matching spare under the bed. I am also considering Thuren shackles and possibly air sensor links, as I’ve read these do provide some ride improvement.

If that does not provide the improvement im looking for, I will probably replace the rear springs. The only “bolt-on” option is the Carli 3” kit with kings, but I have heard of others successfully running the Thuren rear springs on an air-ride truck- even though they are said not to fit.

If I get the rear ride to improve, I will probably give the Kings a try.

Anyhow, serious thread derailment here, to the OP, who does not want to make any other changes to the suspension, the Bilstiens are probably the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Carli is/was blowing out fox shocks mid week. Might want to call and see what they got. Discounts were pretty decent

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Carli’s building their own shocks now. I was told Fox couldn’t keep up. Some people say Carbon is working Carli.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The new Carli SPEC shocks are manufactured by ICON, to Carlis specifications, and are supposed to alleviate some of the ICON issues with leaks, etc. Carli claims the tuning is further refined compared to the Fox shocks they used to offer.

I do not believe that Carli offers shock option for Factory front coils (Ram or Ford) and I know for certain they do not offer a shock option for factory rear air ride trucks with stock springs. They might make a shock that will bolt in and work, but their official answer that I read was they only option they recommend for the factory air trucks is their rear suspension with replacement leaves and kings- $$$$$

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Carli Backcountry for mostly road. Pin top if you’ll be in the dirt more.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the input. Supply and getting stuff is an issue. Especially with the air suspension option. I needed to do something fairly quick so bought some rancho's until I can make a long term decision. I think after this sled season I will get with @LakeMead Boater and have him do some upgrades (Carli joints etc/figure out a better shock/spring package for my uses). I'll make changes at that point. This will at least get me through spring of 24. It's a rabbit hole you go down making choices, and I intend to keep this truck for a very long time.

I'm up in havasu for 2 days and going to install them before I go back to CC Tuesday. Will report back in a month or so of how they do.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I have a 2500 and I did the Thuren Springs with Fox w/Resi's....actually did the 1/2 lower spring in back to level out the truck, 2" in front...It sits level, at certain angles almost higher in front.... The ride is literally night and day....if I need to carry heavy stuff I have the Timbren Active Bump stops that I can slide right in. I don't run them all the time as they really stiffen up the truck...

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have a 2500 and I did the Thuren Springs with Fox w/Resi's....actually did the 1/2 lower spring in back to level out the truck, 2" in front...It sits level, at certain angles almost higher in front.... The ride is literally night and day....if I need to carry heavy stuff I have the Timbren Active Bump stops that I can slide right in. I don't run them all the time as they really stiffen up the truck...
assuming you have the coils in the rear? The 1tons have a leaf pack still. I keep the sled deck on 95% of the time...so thats 500lbs always there. 4 months of the year there is another 1k-1300lbs on there with the sleds. Bags keep it level but I don't want to alter ride height at all. Its set up tire/height wise where its perfect for my use.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the input. Supply and getting stuff is an issue. Especially with the air suspension option. I needed to do something fairly quick so bought some rancho's until I can make a long term decision. I think after this sled season I will get with @LakeMead Boater and have him do some upgrades (Carli joints etc/figure out a better shock/spring package for my uses). I'll make changes at that point. This will at least get me through spring of 24. It's a rabbit hole you go down making choices, and I intend to keep this truck for a very long time.

I'm up in havasu for 2 days and going to install them before I go back to CC Tuesday. Will report back in a month or so of how they do.
Happy to help when you’re ready, bud!

mbrown2

Reaction score
assuming you have the coils in the rear? The 1tons have a leaf pack still. I keep the sled deck on 95% of the time...so thats 500lbs always there. 4 months of the year there is another 1k-1300lbs on there with the sleds. Bags keep it level but I don't want to alter ride height at all. Its set up tire/height wise where its perfect for my use.
I should have read it completely... Since you have the air in back you are sort of stuck there so what can you really do unless you want to switch. On the front I would do King or Fox's resi's and I would get them from CJC or Accutune so they are valved appropriately for your truck.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I have Thuren springs and Bilistens being installed tomorrow on my 2500 /w 37's, I can report back when I get a few miles under my belt but anything has to be better than the stock front end on my '18

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I have Thuren springs and Bilistens being installed tomorrow on my 2500 /w 37's, I can report back when I get a few miles under my belt but anything has to be better than the stock front end on my '18
It will be night and day. Should you decide to go further with upgrades, the front Torsion sway bar makes a huge difference on off camber stuff, like pulling into a driveway. If you find you’re still hitting the bumpstops over speed bumps, etc, add the boogie bumps.

On a 2500, I would absolutely do the REAR track bar. Before adding anything else.

The Rams ride incredible with the Thuren (or Carli) parts.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
It will be night and day. Should you decide to go further with upgrades, the front Torsion sway bar makes a huge difference on off camber stuff, like pulling into a driveway. If you find you’re still hitting the bumpstops over speed bumps, etc, add the boogie bumps.

On a 2500, I would absolutely do the REAR track bar. Before adding anything else.

The Rams ride incredible with the Thuren (or Carli) parts.
I do have the sway bar being added but I have a Keldelman kit which replaces the weak springs /w airbags in the rear and its not compatible I do not think but I will look into it, thanks for the heads up.

pronstar

Reaction score

I ran a Carli torsion away bar on my Ram…the reduction in side to side head-toss was dramatic.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I stand corrected.

I heated up 2.0 fix and my 2.1 falcons with ease on my Jeep. That was just with washboard road. 3/4ton.

2.5’s are overkill but you would notice a difference.

pronstar

Reaction score
I heated up 2.0 fix and my 2.1 falcons with ease on my Jeep. That was just with washboard road. 3/4ton.
You can easily cook the seals pretty quickly in a heavy truck on washboard fire roads.

I smoked Commuter Kings and Bilstein 5160’s quicker than i thought, like just one high speed run for a few miles, waaay back when Carli used my 3/4 ton Ram as a test bed for 2” shocks.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
I'm going to drive this truck till the wheels fall off, original owner. 2020 Ram 3500 Megacab. A/T tire stock height. 55k miles. AZ Based, but the truck is in Montana, and Washington at least yearly each. I haul two Skidoo 850 Sleds on a deck for 1k+ mi each direction to WA/MT and back yearly, as well as probably every other weekend to the flag area Jan-Mar/April. Standard off the shelf stuff or something like a fox/king rebuildable? It's time, I noticed it today more than others. Right at 55k miles. 85% highway, 10% city, 5% trails in the winter to the snowparks.

I have no intention of a lift or anything else...its already a butthole puckering experience loading sleds on this thing. I tow an Advantage X-flight 29, and a 24+4 v nose enclosed car hauler with this truck. I have the factory RAM air system so auto airbags.

View attachment 1254872
I purchased a set of Fox 2.0 reservoirs for my 2015 Chevy Silverado 4x4 crew from Shock Surplus. He told me what ever shock you purchase whether they be $100.00 a shock or $800.00 for a King, they only last 50-60,000 miles then they must be rebuilt. They charge $80.00 no matter what the brand name you buy. Taking off the stock Ranchos that came with my truck, unbolted all of them, no rebound, no nuttin' they just all fell out. Truck had 69,000 miles and shocks were done. So much different with the Fox shocks, would have went with 2.5's but Fox and King discontinued them for stock height trucks, only 2.0's.
You tow all of that, do you have bags? I installed 7500 wireless AirLift bags and another what a difference.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
If you were in CA, I’d say I have smokin deal for you. Entire carli 3.25 kit, deaver springs, 2.5 kings, Innov8 rims and 37s 1 year old
the 3.25 “lift” with auto level air is barely over stock height. For 9,000.00 - I paid 18,000
But would need factory stuff to swap into mine before it goes to dealer drop off in next 30 days

my new truck 23 with out auto air, same lift sits over 3in taller

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

2.5’s are overkill but you would notice a difference.
When we go sledding in Parks it’s about 20 miles of washboards and soupy messes…loaded down

Some of the trail access is rough in WA as well, I spend a chunk of time in 4wd In the winter…
If you were in CA, I’d say I have smokin deal for you. Entire carli 3.25 kit, deaver springs, 2.5 kings, Innov8 rims and 37s 1 year old
the 3.25 “lift” with auto level air is barely over stock height. For 9,000.00 - I paid 18,000
But would need factory stuff to swap into mine before it goes to dealer drop off in next 30 days

my new truck 23 with out auto air, same lift sits over 3in taller
If I wanted to lift I’d probably be all over that…but with sleds on the deck I’m just not about it. If it weren’t for that I’d probably make that happen.

I don’t need to be any steeper lol

34F99EB4-3638-4211-BC0B-284393E55807.jpeg

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When we go sledding in Parks it’s about 20 miles of washboards and soupy messes…loaded down

Some of the trail access is rough in WA as well, I spend a chunk of time in 4wd I’m the winter…

If I wanted to lift I’d probably be all over that…but with sleds on the deck I’m just not about it. If it weren’t for that I’d probably make that happen.

I don’t need to be any steeper lol

View attachment 1259675
Ya no thanks.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Change out wasn't crazy, have some highway driving on them. Not a long term solution but the rancho's are "ok" for the price. Going to get with @LakeMead Boater after this sled season and do some Carli upgrades and figure out a better "stock" height solution or close to it. This will do for the next 10k or so miles I put on it.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
If you plan to keep it, look at Thuren suspension. I would say a set of 2.5 kings will do the trick. All depends how much you want to spend.
I ordered a 2' deck flip out extension and a 36" ramp extender that are coming with my new turbo sled.. Going to re-evaluate in December about long term actions based on those. 2024 will include a bunkhouse trailer but one made for winter...so I have to throw that in the mix. Some of the snowmobile guys have been recommending spring changes but I'm not that far down the rabbit hole yet. I want to keep as close to stock height/fit as possible. While I get into some nasty shit..I would like to still fit in PHX garages etc when needed. If I start driving my BMW more I may change my opinion but stock height is a big deal right now.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I ordered a 2' deck flip out extension and a 36" ramp extender that are coming with my new turbo sled.. Going to re-evaluate in December about long term actions based on those. 2024 will include a bunkhouse trailer but one made for winter...so I have to throw that in the mix. Some of the snowmobile guys have been recommending spring changes but I'm not that far down the rabbit hole yet. I want to keep as close to stock height/fit as possible. While I get into some nasty shit..I would like to still fit in PHX garages etc when needed. If I start driving my BMW more I may change my opinion but stock height is a big deal right now.
Still have the carli kit with deaver springs for factory air. king 2.5 pintops. If you changed tires to 35 or smaller you would be within an inch or so of stock height.
Revised price 5,000 for all
only would need brake lines, compressor relocation, and sensor relocation / extension for the factory air sensor. Items I didn’t have to replace when I turned truck back in.

what I paid 12 months ago -
carli 3.25 pintop for factory air 4855.00
carli air assist full spring pack 2275.00
carli sway bar drop 155.00
innov8 17x8.5 3636.00
innov8 techlight rings 752.00
innov8 polished center caps 516.00
simulock bolt kit 60.00

total 12,249.00 plus tax

tires are another 1760 on top, that I didn’t even put in price since they have maybe Half life left in them

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Still have the carli kit with deaver springs for factory air. king 2.5 pintops. If you changed tires to 35 or smaller you would be within an inch or so of stock height.
Revised price 5,000 for all
only would need brake lines, compressor relocation, and sensor relocation / extension for the factory air sensor. Items I didn’t have to replace when I turned truck back in.

what I paid 12 months ago -
carli 3.25 pintop for factory air 4855.00
carli air assist full spring pack 2275.00
carli sway bar drop 155.00
innov8 17x8.5 3636.00
innov8 techlight rings 752.00
innov8 polished center caps 516.00
simulock bolt kit 60.00

total 12,249.00 plus tax

tires are another 1760 on top, that I didn’t even put in price since they have maybe Half life left in them
if you still have this ( I doubt it laying around) I may get interested. Would need to get with @LakeMead Boater about residual needs to make it a smooth deal. Let me know when you have some time to chat.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Different truck, but on my 2500 Silverado i was told over and over to put the Fox 2.0’s on it. I just didn’t see how it’d make any real difference, but i finally did and they really made a noticeable difference and improved ride. Can’t say same for the Dodge but from my circumstances I’d say it’s worth the money.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The 2.0s help a little on the Ram HDs, I had a set along with some leveling pucks on my truck when I purchased it.

I’ve ran a couple of combinations of Thuren parts on these trucks, a set of coils, bumpstops, and 2.0s is night and day.

The sway bar makes a good amount of difference, but nothing like the springs/ shocks/ and bumpstops.

There isn’t much you can do for the rear unless you dump 10k+ on the Carli setup or trial and error with another set of springs.

Loaded they ride great, empty they ride okay with a set of 2.0s if you take some air out of the tires.

To the OP, you are welcome to drive my truck with the Thuren setup if you’d like to check it out sometime.

Cooter01

Reaction score
The 2.0s help a little on the Ram HDs, I had a set along with some leveling pucks on my truck when I purchased it.

I’ve ran a couple of combinations of Thuren parts on these trucks, a set of coils, bumpstops, and 2.0s is night and day.

The sway bar makes a good amount of difference, but nothing like the springs/ shocks/ and bumpstops.

There isn’t much you can do for the rear unless you dump 10k+ on the Carli setup or trial and error with another set of springs.

Loaded they ride great, empty they ride okay with a set of 2.0s if you take some air out of the tires.

To the OP, you are welcome to drive my truck with the Thuren setup if you’d like to check it out sometime.

On the 3500's with leaf springs, swap the stock leafs out for Thuren full leaf replacement, shackles, some fox 2.0 shocks, and if ya tow heavy timbrens or air bags. Around $3k for parts.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
On the 3500's with leaf springs, swap the stock leafs out for Thuren full leaf replacement, shackles, some fox 2.0 shocks, and if ya tow heavy timbrens or air bags. Around $3k for parts.
If you have factory rear air ride, like my truck and the OP, this is not a bolt on option. Can it be made to work? Yes, but it’s not a direct fit.

For a non rear air truck, absolutely.

pronstar

Reaction score
For the standard truck with leafs/not air, Carli’s long travel airbags are legit.

I had them on my last truck. I had to run them at 80 psi towing my junk because deavers squat…a LOT

IMG_1308.jpeg

Cooter01

Reaction score
For the standard truck with leafs/not air, Carli’s long travel airbags are legit.

I had them on my last truck. I had to run them at 80 psi towing my junk because deavers squat…a LOT

View attachment 1323077

The aftermarket leafs sure do squat! I run Thuren leafs and bolt on timbrens towing my toy hauler, did not want to deal with air bags. The timbrens seem to hold the weight well.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

View attachment 1323077
My 2022 had factory air -carli lift - w deavers, was waaaay better then factory, no adjustments for comfort, will pump until its level regardless of ride quality 😱
my 2023 carli lift - deavers - long travel air bags is the 🐝 knees. I would never get factory air again.