WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Serious Stuff at the Sutphen Factory

CMC

Reaction score
Hello to our west coast buddies. My name is Chris and I work with Rich Sutphen Jr.. As many of you know, we build one of the HOTTEST 21 foot performance boats on the market. I wanted to post some current event photos from the factory in Cape Coral Fl. We have 4 boats in production, one going to NJ and 3 going to our friends in Canada. These boats are made in stern drive and O/B versions.

Attachments

• Sutphen Production2.jpg
    Sutphen Production2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,095
  • Sutphen Production3.jpg
    Sutphen Production3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,995
  • Sutphen Production5.jpg
    Sutphen Production5.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,057

fennaz

Reaction score
looks good, I'd like to see a picture of a finished I/O one.

CMC

Reaction score
Here are a few others. One shows the Lonseal flooring option that we use. Another picture shows a hull recently pulled from the mold, and one waiting to be pulled.

Attachments

• Sutphen Production13.jpg
    Sutphen Production13.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Sutphen Production15.jpg
    Sutphen Production15.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,948
  • Sutphen Production17.jpg
    Sutphen Production17.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,906
  • Sutphen Production11.jpg
    Sutphen Production11.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,930
Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Hi Chris. Welcome and thanks for posting. Sutphens are excellent off shore boats and have a great reputation. Nice to see you guys still producing boats. What are the specs on that hull?

CMC

Reaction score
Stay tuned for updates on these builds, You can also find more info at our Facebook page. When on Face book search for Sutphen Powerboats.

Our boats are 20' 9" in length and 7 ' wide. Deadrise is 20 deg. Stern drive weight is approx. 2500 lbs. Here are examples of past finished products:

Attachments

• Sutphen 007.jpg
    Sutphen 007.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,162
  • Rich and Me.jpg
    Rich and Me.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,124
  • 21 SS with model.jpg
    21 SS with model.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,994
Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Cool boats CMC,I dig the little mini hard hatch on the o/b:thumbsup

So,im going to ask,with fairly simple graphics like that(and im not trying to bash it),why not in the mold graphics?

CMC

Reaction score
Cool boats CMC,I dig the little mini hard hatch on the o/b:thumbsup

So,im going to ask,with fairly simple graphics like that(and im not trying to bash it),why not in the mold graphics?

Its really for a combination of reasons. We let our customers start with a blank canvas and we do any type of paint and or graphics that they choose. Plus, the paints are so darn good these days and they hold up so well.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
The yellow and red boat looks cool...must be a bitch to steer it though!!!:D

I like the hidden gauges also!!:D:D

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Nice looking boats and thanks for posting.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Its really for a combination of reasons. We let our customers start with a blank canvas and we do any type of paint and or graphics that they choose. Plus, the paints are so darn good these days and they hold up so well.
Thats cool,just thought i would ask,and was asking from a cost and time spent perspective. Im curious as to what paint you use. Do you guys do this in house,or sub out? What kind of timeframe is in one of your builds?

Missed that,good eye. Maybe Evinrude has a new telepathic steering and monitering system.:D

Roger 1

Reaction score
Are the decks glassed to the hulls or are they glued and screwed? In one of your pictures it looks as if the carpet is installed in the hull before the deck is put on.

CMC

Reaction score
That picture was taken at the Miami show. We brought it there without an engine and Evinrude let us use and engine for display purposes. Here is a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• by bridge.jpg
    by bridge.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 21 outboard 5.JPG
    21 outboard 5.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:

CMC

Reaction score
Here is another picture of a finished stern drive boat. It has a 350 Mag and 300HP. It does 72 MPH. It is a low hour demo boat which is also for sale.

Attachments

• B & G interior.JPG
    B & G interior.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 912
  • Blue & Gold.JPG
    Blue & Gold.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 971
  • b & g stern.JPG
    b & g stern.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 979

icecreaman

Reaction score

Man, you really haven't seen the latest in trick!!! Its all new stealth tiller steer, kind of like playing a wii game. Guages??? no need for guages. One toggle switch, either off or WOT! :cool::D

koenig

Reaction score
Sweet....... I like the old school styling!!! How much for the demo? Just curious.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome Back Sutphen boats!! I really wish we could get you guys out to the west coast for a weekend this summer. 80+ mph with a 496HO, and the prices you guys were telling me sounds like a winner out here..

RD

CMC

Reaction score
Welcome Back Sutphen boats!! I really wish we could get you guys out to the west coast for a weekend this summer. 80+ mph with a 496HO, and the prices you guys were telling me sounds like a winner out here..

RD

RD.....Thanks for the welcome! We have been eager to get some boats out west, and we are about to offer a great outboard deal. Here is a picture of us on the Hudson River Run last year. We hope to make it out to one of your lakes or rivers sometime soon! There are more pictures on Facebook.../ Sutphen Powerboats

REGARDS...CHRIS

Attachments

• Rich and Me.jpg
    Rich and Me.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 760

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Those are cool lookin boats. Kinda reminds me of my old Howard Offshore. :thumbsup

maxwedge

(Maximus Wedge-i-mus)
Reaction score
Man I love these things. Clean, simple, fast...keep up the good work guys.

CMC

Reaction score

Attachments

• top outboard.jpg
    top outboard.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 879

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Here is another picture of a finished stern drive boat. It has a 350 Mag and 300HP. It does 72 MPH. It is a low hour demo boat which is also for sale.

72 with a 350 mag is pretty impressive for what ammounts to a 21 foot boat.

Whats the OB version run?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
What other size boats are you guys building?

CMC

Reaction score
We are in the process of modifying our 26 Rumrunner to be the Sutphen 277. It will be longer with a deck similar to the 21's deck ( raised a couple of inches ).

Thanks for asking !!
CHRIS

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A couple questions.

Do you guys plan to get a west coast dealer for those out here interested in looking to buy?

Are you guys going to be at the LA boat show?

I think it would be cool if you made a linered center helm option for em! Any plans to tool a new deck for that market?

CMC

Reaction score
We would like to break into the west coast market, and we are open to taking a west coast dealer. We recently set up a relationship with a Canadian group (they are taking 3 of the boats in production). We will not be at the L.A. show. The Boat show circuit is a strange thing these days and is a big expense. This is the reason we are trying to use the internet to "Bring the customer to the shop". We also invite anyone to visit us if they are on the SW coast of Florida. We will be posting more pictures as the builds proceed.

We have had good conversations with a few potential customers out west, and R. D. himself was kind enough to extend a open invitation. We will also be renewing our Outboard Boat Promotion that we ran in the fall.

As for new projects, we continue to work on the bowrider model of the 21 Sutphen.The 277 Sutphen is a project that we want to finish as well. Being a small shop, the builds get done first, repairs and restorations next and then new model / mold development.

Regards,
CHRIS

CMC

Reaction score
72 with a 350 mag is pretty impressive for what ammounts to a 21 foot boat.

Whats the OB version run?

You can get slightly better speeds with the 225 HP outboard boat.

Last edited:

CMC

Reaction score
We should have more pictures posted in the next week !!:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Have they put a 500 or a 525 in one of these? (Or bigger?)

RD

CMC

Reaction score
RD,
No 525's yet. The blue boat had a 496 ho and that was a wild ride.It would outrun any Donzi Classic. Our Canadian friends are going with some custom power, but the HP is not finalized yet. We are getting a 6.2 320 hp in this week, and that should be a great all around friendly package. More to follow..............

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD,
No 525's yet. The blue boat had a 496 ho and that was a wild ride.It would outrun any Donzi Classic. Our Canadian friends are going with some custom power, but the HP is not finalized yet. We are getting a 6.2 320 hp in this week, and that should be a great all around friendly package. More to follow..............

I'm thinking 700 - 800 HP.. :)

RD

spectras only

Reaction score
Dave , throw an ASD 6 drive behind a stroker small block and it should scoot pretty good around Parker. Guy [ GEOO ] a few years back thrown a SBC in an 18 foot Donzi . running over 100 with an Arneson ASD 6 . Sutphen had a history in offshore racing with their bigger hulls . I liked the old school boats back in the 80's like Sutphen ,Banana , Carrera , Magnum , Tempest etc.......: The Magnum 27 with twin small blocks was an awesome looking boat and this new 277 Sutphen could be the ticket for people looking for a not too big of a boat that can handle big lakes and the ocean .:thumbsup

Last edited:

GregG

Reaction score
CMC, great looking boat! I have a few questions. With that offshore style fairing, does it actually direct the wind just above your eyes or do you need to add wind-aways? On the OB, you guys should look into rigging a demo with a Porta-Bracket and either a 300XS or ETEC 300 to see how the hull will really perform and still be able to raise the motor completely out of the water at the dock. Then on the demo boat, you should re-work that area under the bow. With that high a fairing, it would be easy to set up a small set of face to face jumper seats with a deep well in between. You'd have so much headroom, I bet a 6 footer could sit straight up. The jumpers are really for the kids to get a little relief from the sun if needed or take a nap. You could then go with the flat floor in front of them given I assume the hull is a full stringer boat. That well between the jumpers could then also serve as a perfect location for a big cooler if needed. That rear flip up sun pad is a cool and functional look, but maybe make it a bit smaller so you can move the bench back toward the transom to give a few more inches of leg room. Makes the boat "feel" bigger then a 21. The looks of the hull would remain identical to what you have, which is old school cool :bowdown:but the overall appeal, in a rough retail market :grumble:would increase dramatically as most people just can't "see" it until the can "touch" it. I think that you would then have a legitimate top of the heap performance hull that offers a touch of flexibility so the wife can get convinced. Attached are a couple pics. The centerline on this hull is 21'10". It would be great to see an old line New NY builder like Sutphen make it in todays market. Build a new demo boat and see how she does :champagne:

Attachments

• 99Ultra23XSInterior.jpg
    99Ultra23XSInterior.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 514
  • 2001Ultra23XS6.2Scorpion377.jpg
    2001Ultra23XS6.2Scorpion377.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 500

CMC

Reaction score
Hey Greg,
You have some interesting ideas but there really would not be that much head room. Plus the gas tank would need to be smaller. Our O/B version already has about 10 inches more interior/cockpit space than the stern drive package. We can finish the bow area with a pad so that children can take a break when needed. Stay tuned for more........

GregG

Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how much headroom you would have under there if your base sat directly on top of the stringer. You would certainly have plenty of room for a kid to sit up and get out of the weather. Here is a picture to give you an idea. You use the space to the outside of the full stringer to radius the base padding which works great to claw back height. Also, when you radius the base pad, it makes for a natural thigh stop. I bet if Richie has an open hull and deck down there, you could actually snap a photo of the jumper idea "real world". In todays market, you have to scratch and claw for a differentiated product. Can you get a "sample" pic snapped?

Attachments

• SutphenJumperSeat.jpg
    SutphenJumperSeat.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

GregG

Reaction score
And here is a pic of roughly what it might look like finished under that cool Sutphen deck............

Attachments

• UnderDeckArea.jpg
    UnderDeckArea.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 453
  • UnderDeckArea2.jpg
    UnderDeckArea2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

wolfie

Reaction score
If that came with pink reverse flames I know a guy in Az that would order one!!! :D

Them some nice rides!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup Glad to see you guys moving some boats!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
And here is a pic of roughly what it might look like finished under that cool Sutphen deck............

Greg the pics u are posting are of much taller freeboard boats.. Other then a flat mat or a ski locker I'm not sure this lower profile boat would lend itself to that to well.

RD

GregG

Reaction score
Hi RD, you would have to see the Sutphen without the full floor that is shown in the first pic to know for sure but even if it is a full stringer boat you could put kid jumpers in given the full fairing Sutphen is using. That is why I was hoping to see a Sutphen hull "open" and with just the stringers to see exactly what might be done.

GregG

Reaction score
CMC, what is the deadrise of the 21 SSX ?

GregG

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the bare hull and stringers without that floor in it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Greg after being around 100's of boats with jumper seats.. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen someone sit in one. I think they are dead on with a flat pad or a ski locker.

RD

GregG

Reaction score
I have both styles. It would still be great to see a pic of a bare hull without the floor liner. There are currently no new boats being made in this size with some deadrise like the Sutphen except for the 22 Classic I believe. The Sutphen looks so good that it would be good to investigate what else could possibly be done with it, thats all. Might increase the breadth of the audience and help sell more hulls. Give the wife less of a reason to say no to a full performance hull. The one that comes to mind is the old DCB 22 Extreme.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have both styles. It would still be great to see a pic of a bare hull without the floor liner. There are currently no new boats being made in this size with some deadrise like the Sutphen except for the 22 Classic I believe. The Sutphen looks so good that it would be good to investigate what else could possibly be done with it, thats all. Might increase the breadth of the audience and help sell more hulls. Give the wife less of a reason to say no to a full performance hull. The one that comes to mind is the old DCB 22 Extreme.

The old 247 Ultra / 22 Extreme was one of my favorite boats of all time.. Love that boat.

I really like these little Sutphen's.. If they perform like they claim, for the ridiculously low prices they have told me, I think they would do well out here.

RD

wedge45

Reaction score
Greg after being around 100's of boats with jumper seats.. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen someone sit in one. I think they are dead on with a flat pad or a ski locker.

RD

My kids love sitting in ours...Ultra 23 XS Mid-Cuddy Cabin

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Man I love these things. Clean, simple, fast...keep up the good work guys.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

These things look like super fun boats to drive. And I'm no expert but they look like they could be awesome ski race boats.

Last edited: