WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Hondo Hulls...

oldschool

Reaction score
Was that recent? Sam Fey has a GT in a true flat. orangish red.
View attachment 1146650 View attachment 1146651
That’s a Sprint bottom.
I had one years ago, great family boat!
C155E25C-5D6D-41AC-B738-885CD32B3574.jpeg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Wow I've learned so much in this thread.
Back in the late 70's when I had my 69 Hallett jet, some of my buddy's had Hondo flats or runners and I thought they were the best thing going and always wanted one. Things changed and I got out of boating for quite a few years. When I joined RDP in 2012, I was amazed no one ever seemed to talk about what I thought was one of the best boats going. Very nice to learn the history and that they really are a respected boat and a very important part of the evolution of boating.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes it sure is! … I have it up in Havasu now …. Come on by and take a look at it if you happen to be in the area!

I won't be back out that way until October at least.

We need to talk more for sure. 👍🏼

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I think @warpt71 has a Hondo 5/8 runner T-deck sitting in his garage.

I do have a modern t-deck runner bottom in the garage. I also have an original strait deck true flat in the carport at the river. Somehow I have always been around Hondos and they just seem to have stuck with me. Rat Infested, Trim Troller and the "521" boats are the ones that I grew up around. I have spent the most time in and around the 521, that was the first fast ride I had been in. \

To the original question, if the Hondo that is in question is a v-drive flat bottom variation or even the early jets (before the Southwind splash) Id put my money that its a well built boat and very capable if set up correctly. That being said, they were production boats and not all were race ready. Post pics so the rest of us can either drool or criticize.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I have a pantera t deck project and the deck is a mess. Between stress cracks and previous owner with a grinder I wonder if they'll lay me up a deck. Might be easier. Guess I can call.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Yes it sure is! … I have it up in Havasu now …. Come on by and take a look at it if you happen to be in the area!

Id like to come see another local Hondo some time. Im in Havasu full time 👍👍

kurtis500

Reaction score
Obviously Im out of the loop... Who is 3D? are these the same boats that James Brendel is making? (Same molds)

Dana757

Reaction score
Obviously Im out of the loop... Who is 3D? are these the same boats that James Brendel is making? (Same molds)
3D is a shop up in Nor Cal. Not real sure what molds they have but know they have a few flat molds. They have a great reputation. I wouldn’t do any type of business with the other you mentioned … not even a sticker.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I have a pantera t deck project and the deck is a mess. Between stress cracks and previous owner with a grinder I wonder if they'll lay me up a deck. Might be easier. Guess I can call.
You have a project boat ? Shocker ! Lol . This thread makes me want to pick something up to tinker with .

poncho

Reaction score
3D is a shop up in Nor Cal. Not real sure what molds they have but know they have a few flat molds. They have a great reputation. I wouldn’t do any type of business with the other you mentioned … not even a sticker.
Getting my hats and stickers from him was a trial.

poncho

Reaction score
@Sharp Shooter, Years ago I think it was your videos from Irvine Lake that had the Constantinos (sp) Father and Son in a Hondo that to me looked like a flatbottom driving instructional video, saw the boat for sale less motor a few years later and hesitated a day and missed it.....Maybe called Lookey Lou or something like that.

Had just bought my Canyon and figured I would look like that in a few weekends, got my ass schooled quick.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I still have it. I don't run it as much as I'd like to but it sure is fun to rip.
View attachment 1146814

whats the ci of that motor? I ask because I have the same intake and was under the inpression that it was designed for the smaller 396-427 BBC's. I know it has smaller butterflys and thought that might be the limiting factor on a bigger motor?

Brian

Reaction score
I remember seeing video years ago of that boat gapping jet boats out of the hole if its the same one, beautiful boat.
That's where "King of Big River" came from. Donkey stompin jet boats from a dig back in the day. Today it would be a different story. They've come a long way with launch controls and timers for the jets. It's quite impressive actually.

Brian

Reaction score
whats the ci of that motor? I ask because I have the same intake and was under the inpression that it was designed for the smaller 396-427 BBC's. I know it has smaller butterflys and thought that might be the limiting factor on a bigger motor?
It's 470 inches. Hilborn said I'm safe to 500 inches, then I'll have trouble.

kurtis500

Reaction score
Any idea which Hondo molds they have? Same Hondo as Brendel? Are they doing the Biesemeyers also?

sorry for all the questions..

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Never driven one. Don't know the first thing about em.

I had a friend ask me about em, and I had nothing to offer!

Called Larry, and he didn't know anything about em either.

Can someone please fill me in on these boats?

Thanks in advance. 👍🏼
One of the neighbors on our street at the river had a Hondo. Dave Rossi was his name, Rob knows/knew him. Not sure what he had in it but it was a blue mini day cruiser style with a v-drive. That boat scooted pretty good.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I think Hurry Round Hondo started off with a Jacuzzi in those days.
A few years back Rick repurchased HHR , He flew the Jacuzzi WJ to me (Paso airport) from socal in his Turbo prop dropped it off on the tarmac then blasted off again back to Brendella , It was all part of the resto he did after getting the boat back from Florida . Our Jet, fresh Blown BBC from Kens engines , I think his first show was Bass lake that year

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
It's 470 inches. Hilborn said I'm safe to 500 inches, then I'll have trouble.

Interesting! Thanks. Maybe one day Ill get to play with mine in my Hondo

Riverbottom

Reaction score
A few years back Rick repurchased HHR , He flew the Jacuzzi WJ to me (Paso airport) from socal in his Turbo prop dropped it off on the tarmac then blasted off again back to Brendella , It was all part of the resto he did after getting the boat back from Florida . Our Jet, fresh Blown BBC from Kens engines , I think his first show was Bass lake that year
There was more than one Hurry Round Hondo. The last one had a Berkley and I lost track of it in the mid 80's. Last owner was a mail man named Jan Boswell who drag raced it in BGJ at NJBA races for a few years. We tried like crazy to get him to circle race with us.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
@Sharp Shooter, Years ago I think it was your videos from Irvine Lake that had the Constantinos (sp) Father and Son in a Hondo that to me looked like a flatbottom driving instructional video, saw the boat for sale less motor a few years later and hesitated a day and missed it.....Maybe called Lookey Lou or something like that.

Had just bought my Canyon and figured I would look like that in a few weekends, got my ass schooled quick.

Correct, Constantinos ran that lookie Lou back then. That was Jeff Blosdale’s old boat.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
There was more than one Hurry Round Hondo. The last one had a Berkley and I lost track of it in the mid 80's. Last owner was a mail man named Jan Boswell who drag raced it in BGJ at NJBA races for a few years. We tried like crazy to get him to circle race with us.
This (before and after) was the boat we worked originally owned and driven by Rick Lee who also owns Brendella Boats, first pic is the original second was post resto

EDIT Rick Lee Owns Centurion not Brendella

More info on HHR https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/articles/k-boat-slayer.736/

Attachments

• Speed-boat-Hondo.jpg
    Speed-boat-Hondo.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 47
  • HHR rick resto.jpg
    HHR rick resto.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Any idea which Hondo molds they have? Same Hondo as Brendel? Are they doing the Biesemeyers also?

sorry for all the questions..

Back in the mid to late 90’s the 3D boats guys were affiliated with the classic v-drive club (maybe they still are?). I think they may have attended some of the outings. It was Dean and Dereck Staberg who were ex Hondo employees and had some of Hondo’s original molds.

These guys have a great rep. I’m not sure which molds they have but I believe the Pantera is in their possession (or was).

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Back in the mid to late 90’s the 3D boats guys were affiliated with the classic v-drive club (maybe they still are?). I think they may have attended some of the outings. It was Dean and Dereck Staberg who were ex Hondo employees and had some of Hondo’s original molds.

These guys have a great rep. I’m not sure which molds they have but I believe the Pantera is in their possession (or was).
Dereks Gray Hemi "Hondo" was badass !