WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Hondo Hulls...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Never driven one. Don't know the first thing about em.

I had a friend ask me about em, and I had nothing to offer!

Called Larry, and he didn't know anything about em either.

Can someone please fill me in on these boats?

Thanks in advance. 👍🏼

Flat freak

Reaction score
Are you asking about a runner bottom or a flat bottom? I have one of each and love them both. Is there a better runner bottom out there? Yes there is but unless you’re looking to set a record a bad ass hondo is fun as hell.

Flat freak

Reaction score
C3CCD3C2-B45E-4FBA-90E2-5E0D0249E5CF.jpeg
63935FC2-C107-4B3E-8557-C6E6DC1256D3.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Never driven one. Don't know the first thing about em.

I had a friend ask me about em, and I had nothing to offer!

Called Larry, and he didn't know anything about em either.

Can someone please fill me in on these boats?

Thanks in advance. 👍🏼

I'm sure you have a non yuppie friend who can help you with this. 😊 j/k lol

Irv Brendel founded Brendella boats in the late 50's. He started out building flatbottom hulls both inboard and outboard. Around 1965 he named the company Hondo after his Dog. I would bet they got the dogs name from the movie.

The boat business worked well for Irv especially with the success of the Panic Mouse Drag boat that became legend at the drag races. Hondo boats expanded to hydros, cruisers and Jets from their North Hollywood location and eventually moved to Sylmar around 72. Hondo had many innovations and their t-deck runner bottom was notoriously splashed by much of the industry.

Brendella1959.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure you have a non yuppie friend who can help you with this. 😊 j/k lol

Irv Brendel founded Brendella boats in the late 50's. He started out building flatbottom hulls both inboard and outboard. Around 1965 he named the company Hondo after his Dog. I would bet they got the dogs name from the movie.

The boat business worked well for Irv especially with the success of the Panic Mouse Drag boat that became legend at the drag races. Hondo boats expanded to hydros, cruisers and Jets from their North Hollywood location and eventually moved to Sylmar around 72. Hondo had many innovations and their t-deck runner bottom was notoriously splashed by much of the industry.

View attachment 1146582

And here I thought the Hondo was a splash. Shows how much my dumb ass knows!

I'll find out Exactly what hull he is asking about and report back.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I see two strikes in those pics. The mr gasket scoop and the ski tower. WTH??

if you have a wedge for a dual quad, ill take it! 😁

im sure you have something laying around from all those LS conversions😜

Rotten deal

Reaction score

69hondo

Reaction score
I do like me some Hondo hulls.
Many know more than me but here is my limited info that pertain to the flattys.
late 60s early 70s straight deck true flatbottom.
early 70s to ? 3/8 runner in either straight deck or T-deck
early to mid 70s & so on the XH511T which was the 5/8 runner bottom T-deck that everyone copied. Still made today by 3D boats and a current record holder I think "Smokin whitey" Hondo
late 70s so on GT deck in either true flat or sprint bottom which was flat but had strakes on the bottom. Possible the GT deck even came in a runner bottom version.

Again there will be someone that knows way more than me and I may have some of this wrong.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
early to mid 70s & so on the XH511T which was the 5/8 runner bottom T-deck that everyone copied. Still made today by 3D boats and a current record holder I think "Smokin whitey" Hondo
late 70s so on GT deck in either true flat or sprint bottom which was flat but had strakes on the bottom. Possible the GT deck even came in a runner bottom version.

Again there will be someone that knows way more than me and I may have some of this wrong.

GT deck was availble with any bottom. Chet Ripleys blue boat above is a GT deck Runnerbottom.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I think today’s 3D mold was pulled from the Mako mold and I’m pretty confident Shane Westerfield has the Cole TR molds. All have the Hondo bottom though.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
GT deck was availble with any bottom. Chet Ripleys blue boat above is a GT deck Runnerbottom.
There was a guy at one of the wake up calls at echo with GT flat bottom. Only one I’ve ever seen.
If you’re gonna pair off with an injected flat you better be serious.

dave29

Reaction score
That hull in a v drive is an INCREDIBLE river boat.
Yes it was. My 76 Hondo Pantera v-drive.
Untitled-6.jpeg
I added this photo to my post. It's a 1971 Hondo jet that
I ordered new in 1971, IHondo was on Vineland Blvd in No Hollywood. Irv sold me the boat. It was 16' and was available in jet or outboard. I had a 460 Ford in it.
images.jpg

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Was that recent? Sam Fey has a GT in a true flat. orangish red.
View attachment 1146650 View attachment 1146651
Yes it was. My 76 Hondo Pantera v-drive. View attachment 1146658 Pantera
Ya that was it. I looked at it then under and said , wow a GT deck flat, kind of rare.
He said you know your boats.😎

@LazyLavey had one in Brendella w/ mild Ford. Bitchen boat and I know he pines for it still.😪

They were great until a little over a buck as they kept riding back on the pad until they looked like an Alison!
Kenny Perkins the trimmer had one with a blown sbc that was brutal.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Let’s not forget about Hurry-Round-Hondo CJ Boat that schooled the K-Boats in the day! My Hondo is set up just like with the fin and adjustable cav-plates , just not the horsepower😎 View attachment 1146661
I think Hurry Round Hondo was a straight deck? Guess there was a couple of them?
I remember that boat takin the big guns to church!
Friend of mine had a Canyon set up like yours bitd. Free Rein. Sweet ride.

spectras only

Reaction score
Solid boats, rigged a few for my friends, owners of California Marine in South Vancouver BC.
Dave and his dad Jim were friends with the Brendels and brought close to 100 Hondo bare hulls, each time four hulls on trailer racks, pulled by a trusty Suburban. Each boat was rigged to customers desire for engine choice and upholstery.. The boats were marketed under the Catalina name, by California Marine. My faves were the V-drive models with BBC.
278975142_172643191780623_5780733365168589920_n.jpg

284505273_2151290695045277_6846533438328624768_n.jpg

Rick Bitz splashed them and marketed it as Bitz boats. He put the baddest blown engine in his hulls.

I'm standing next, on the left to the last Catalina built and next to Dave and his Mom. His Mom was 92 in this picture.
Dave's Dad past at 84, he worked on boats until he was 80.
1660698461538.jpeg

Last edited:

westair

Reaction score
Here's my 1975 Hondo true flat ..... a little reluctant to post pics since I have not had it in the water yet ... kinda been a long slow project but pretty confident this winter it will happen. I've ridden in a couple others though, but hard to really get
IMG-1958.jpg
the real feel of it when you're the passenger. Been in love with Hondo's since Crazy Horse BFF back in the 70's

Morehart

Reaction score
I saw the picture @sharposted and shared it with him. He is the current owner of the boat. Once i saw the connection between brendella and hondo, I had to share.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Here's my 1975 Hondo true flat ..... a little reluctant to post pics since I have not had it in the water yet ... kinda been a long slow project but pretty confident this winter it will happen. I've ridden in a couple others though, but hard to really get View attachment 1146694 the real feel of it when you're the passenger. Been in love with Hondo's since Crazy Horse BFF back in the 70's
Sweet! Take it to Pirates Den hot boat show in October.

69hondo

Reaction score
Here's my 1975 Hondo true flat ..... a little reluctant to post pics since I have not had it in the water yet ... kinda been a long slow project but pretty confident this winter it will happen. I've ridden in a couple others though, but hard to really get View attachment 1146694 the real feel of it when you're the passenger. Been in love with Hondo's since Crazy Horse BFF back in the 70's
Nice man.

DUN

Reaction score
Hondo straight deck true flat has always been one of my fav's... I don't even know why. Never ridden in one but I was this close(not that close) to buying a little blue one with a blown small block from Clyde Detrich like 8 years ago..

Some day maybe

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Is that the boat you wanted me to wire for you?? I might do that job for free, just because!!!

❤️

Travmon

Reaction score
Solid boats, rigged a few for my friends, owners of California Marine in South Vancouver BC.
Dave and his dad Jim were friends with the Brendels and brought close to 100 Hondo bare hulls, each time four hulls on trailer racks, pulled by a trusty Suburban. Each boat was rigged to customers desire for engine choice and upholstery.. The boats were marketed under the Catalina name, by California Marine. My faves were the V-drive models with BBC.
278975142_172643191780623_5780733365168589920_n.jpg

284505273_2151290695045277_6846533438328624768_n.jpg

Rick Bitz splashed them and marketed it as Bitz boats. He put the baddest blown engine in his hulls.

I'm standing next, on the left to the last Catalina built and next to Dave and his Mom. His Mom was 92 in this picture.
Dave's Dad past at 84, he worked on boats until he was 80.
View attachment 1146696
Ah, Rick Bitz . He had his moment in the sun. I heard all kind of stories about him and biker gangs and stolen molds and splashing without authorization on borrowed molds . Never knew him but up until about 5 years ago I would see him at the Northwest swap meets trying to sell what looked to be the same pile of ugly fiberglass mismatched car parts over and over . Kinda reminded me of a used up rockstar!

bonesfab

Reaction score
Ah, Rick Bitz . He had his moment in the sun. I heard all kind of stories about him and biker gangs and stolen molds and splashing without authorization on borrowed molds . Never knew him but up until about 5 years ago I would see him at the Northwest swap meets trying to sell what looked to be the same pile of ugly fiberglass mismatched car parts over and over . Kinda reminded me of a used up rockstar!
I have heard some of the Bitz stories. Amazed he was still alive after all the people who were looking for him.