WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Schiada RC wood deck conversion

white tortilla

Reaction score
i wonder if you could mill the plywood transom at this early stage and recess the aluminum channel that the transom rod blocks mount to so its flush with the transom. just brainstorming its fun to think outta the box

stresscrack

stresscrack
Reaction score
i have a routine also. work on boat, sleep, work on boat, work on boat, work on boat, sleep, work on boat, clean up shop, work on boat, work on boat, ......

bump

Reaction score
I can't imagine having the courage to do this. This is awesome! Reminds me of real hot rodding in the 60s; super creative before everyone seem to agree on the same off the shelf stuff... Thanks again!

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
I decided to use EZ 100 instead of thickened resin to bed the stringers. EZ 100 is a two part epoxy that you can apply from a caulking gun. It is pricey stuff (56 bucks a tube) but it was well worth it considering the control of the material and almost no clean up. I will use use thickened resin to build a one half inch radius fillet where the stringers meet the floor. I used a couple of 4 by 4s and my extension ladder to provide a rack for placing sand bags and 5 gallon buckets of water to weight the stringers while the epoxy cured. Inch by inch this is coming together nicely. Next up...glass the stringers in.

5 31 7.jpg

5 31 8.jpg

5 31 10.jpg

5 31 9.jpg

5 31 3.jpg

5 31 5.jpg

5 31 1.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Nicely done Sir, the stringers look fantastic! It's obvious by following your progress that you guys are taking your time and doing a very nice (And clean!), job!

My only question or concern would be with the support from your dolley from underneath the hull. Is there sufficient support or bracing to make certain the hull wont be distorted by the weight of the sand used to hold the stringers in place? I'm sure you guys "Overbuilt" the cradle (Dolley), in anticipation of the weight of the hull and the weight of the sand, but I was just curious.

Keep up the good work and thank you for keeping us updated with the progress.

Henry

msmeads

Reaction score
"I decided to use EZ 100 instead of thickened resin to bed the stringers. EZ 100 is a two part epoxy that you can apply from a caulking gun."

Where do you buy the EZ 100? I have a project that this would come in handy. Thanks Jon

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
"I decided to use EZ 100 instead of thickened resin to bed the stringers. EZ 100 is a two part epoxy that you can apply from a caulking gun."

Where do you buy the EZ 100? I have a project that this would come in handy. Thanks Jon

Here is an image of a tube of the material..good luck with your project!

6 1 1.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to document your build and post it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
Nicely done Sir, the stringers look fantastic! It's obvious by following your progress that you guys are taking your time and doing a very nice (And clean!), job!

My only question or concern would be with the support from your dolley from underneath the hull. Is there sufficient support or bracing to make certain the hull wont be distorted by the weight of the sand used to hold the stringers in place? I'm sure you guys "Overbuilt" the cradle (Dolley), in anticipation of the weight of the hull and the weight of the sand, but I was just curious.

Keep up the good work and thank you for keeping us updated with the progress.

Henry

I built the cradle to support the weight of everything (including my mass of 270 lbs). Here's some images from the cradle build...I since added legs and small wheels at the far four corners. Very sturdy!

Cradle.jpg

Cradle 3.jpg

Cradle 4.jpg

Cradle 5.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
No more questions about the strength of THAT cradle! :D

Thank you for not taking offense and for sharing the pictures. Its becoming more and more obvious the amount of time and preparation you have put into this project.

Time to step back and just take notes. :D

Henry

BR44

Reaction score
Very cool to watch the progress of your build. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Amazing talent, thanks for sharing and please continue to take us along for the ride.

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
"Life" required a lot of my attention this past 4 months however I'm ready to get back after the Schiada build. More to come!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
"Life" required a lot of my attention this past 4 months however I'm ready to get back after the Schiada build. More to come!

I can only speak for myself, but I am excited and ready to see what you have in store!

I'm just getting ready to dive into my own projects here at my house as well.

RD

Rickybobby

Reaction score
:worthless_1_:

we need updates !!!!! Killer work, and your not afraid of anything!!! love it !!!!

Speedboat Racer

Reaction score
After 6 months off for family, work and life in general I am finally back on the project. Stringers are bedded, fillets sanded and it's ready for glassing the stringers. I have also laminated the mahogany boards that will be vacuum bagged onto the plywood to make up the transom. In one of the images notice a piece of the the old stringer next to the new stringer.

2-22-15.jpg

2-22-15-2.jpg

2-22-15-4.jpg

3-7-14-1.jpg

3-7-15-2.jpg

3-7-15-3.jpg

3-7-15-4.jpg

3-7-15-5.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm sure I speak for a lot of folks but we've missed your project updates! I'm glad to hear you've found some time to get back into the game! ;)

Beautiful job on the stringers! They look fantastic!!

Keep the posts coming as it helps to motivate the rest of us!!

Henry

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
It has been slow..he's my brother. He built a Stevens flatty for his boy and that took a year. He's got the stringer glassed in. I will get on him.