WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Santa barbara, Morro bay and Monterey

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Tomorrow after work me and the lady are driving up to Santa Barbara for Friday and Saturday. Then were going to Monterey saturday to sunday, then Morro Bay Sunday to Monday. We are going to take the 1 all the way up, and plan to stop at Herst castle, and go to the aquarium in Monterey. Any other hot spots any buddy sugests we check out up there or any good food places, ect.

wolfie

Reaction score
Tomorrow after work me and the lady are driving up to Santa Barbara for Friday and Saturday. Then were going to Monterey saturday to sunday, then Morro Bay Sunday to Monday. We are going to take the 1 all the way up, and plan to stop at Herst castle, and go to the aquarium in Monterey. Any other hot spots any buddy sugests we check out up there or any good food places, ect.

Cannery row. Not sure if they have the merry-go-round but you gotta go see that if they do.
There was a really nice seafood joint right across the street from the aquarium we use to go to for lunch.
It's been a while since I've been there so I'm not really sure if any of it is still there though.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Hey sounds like a great trip, while in morro go to the anderson inn/ galley restaurant bar on the wharf. Its small but high quality, enjoy!:thumbsup

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. we'll take some pics, and let you know how the food was.

NicPaus

Reaction score
On your way there stop at Jocko's in Nippomo for a spencer rib eye steak. Monterey is very nice friends Grand Banks is docked there. Hopefully the weather is cleared up there and raining here for the weekend

cola

Reaction score
Bubba Gumps for lunch.

26 mile drive

Just below Big Sur is Pfeiffer State Beach nice stop.

Piedras Blancas Lighthouse

Seal Beach

You could spend all week, have fun in the rain. You will still have fun.
Mike

Teal_Tornado

Reaction score
morro bay- you need to have dinner at "The Galley" make sure you make a reservation.(well worth it) beers and clam chowder at the "Otter rock" and for breakfest and mimosa's try "Dorn's". the wife like morro bay:rolleyes: i like pismo :skull:skull

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

In Santa Barbara I used like to like beers and food at State & A..

RD

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
In Monterey we like Shake's Old Fisherman's Grotto. Been there 50 years...we just ate there a couple of months ago. Great seafood.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Kyle at your age (under 21) there is no better place in the world to be on a Friday night than Isla Vista. in case you dont know what IV is, its where 20,000 college students live directly next to UCSB. They like to blow off a little steam on the weekends. Bonus if you have friends that live there because you can crash at their pad, if not get a hotel close by and walk or taxi in. If you do not know any one here is what you do, Go hang out by the "nash" on a Friday afternoon, this is the equivalent of RD's garage fridge in the keys on any given weekend. Around the back you will start to see a steady flow of kegs heading out the door. All you have to do is ask and most will tell you an address.

http://www.santabarbara.com/dining/review_read.asp?pk_restaurant=1415

Its really not necessary to do this but is very helpful for finding the good kegs, Sierra Nevada, anchor steam ect. Nothing worse than flipping someone a few bucks for a keg of natural light. No walking around with beers, used to be upside down cups and you were good to go (been a while so look and see what everyone else is doing)

I somewhat remember walking down Del Playa late one night around grad week and there were burning couches in the street as far as you could see. If you do it right, you will never get north of there and not have to worry about the rest of your travels.

Attachments

• Isla Vista1.jpg
    Isla Vista1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 208
  • islavista.jpg
    islavista.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 204

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Assumeing you actually get past IV and continue all the way up the 1 (long ass drive by the way) there is a place in Big Sur that will absoulutely blow your mind for dinner. Its a rustic little joint called Deetjens, the menu is fine dining and off the hook.

http://www.deetjens.com/restaurant.htm

jarrettolson

Reaction score
I would suggest getting as far north as possible first then driving down the 1, you will be on the west side of the road and you get some amazing views. At least thats how we have done it and it was a blast. Are you camping or staying in motels/hotels?

Duffster

Reaction score
When in Santa Barbara go to Brophy Brothers located in the harbor for drinks or dinner. Trust me you will not be dissatisfied.

I have family up their and we hit that place every time we are up that way.

icecreaman

Reaction score
I would suggest getting as far north as possible first then driving down the 1, you will be on the west side of the road and you get some amazing views. At least thats how we have done it and it was a blast. Are you camping or staying in motels/hotels?

X2 on this idea. Wife and I did this for our 25 anniversary. The most scenic view is the drive down hwy 1. Going up your on the inside lane of a very windy road. This makes it hard to drive and admire the views. Driver pretty much drives, passenger gets to see the scenery. Have fun, it's beautiful up there.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
maybe take a cruise on one of the "tourist" boats out of morro bay ? :eek::D

Attachments

• morro bay.jpg
    morro bay.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 104

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
W.W I have quite a few friends that live in IV and we plan to be hanging out with them tonight.
I'll take the advise of coming up via the main highway and coming home on the 1. I have a huge list of places to eat. and we will snap a few pics. Thanks again.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Monterrey:

Golf at Pebble Beach and dinner at the Sardine Factory. Get a table in the Atrium. The Abalone steak is to die for. Pair with an 09 Rombauer Chardonnay.

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score

We were going to camp with with the rain we changed planes to, Ocean view hotels.:champagne:

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Hey Kyle, I just spent 4 wks. in that area, heres my advice on food. For steak you gotta hit Jockos in Nipomo (cheesy atmosphere but great food). Another must is "Splash" in Pismo best clam chowder this side of Boston (Small Place but quick). And in Morro Bay do "The Flying Dutchman" great fish and chips. Have fun. B

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
On your way there stop at Jocko's in Nippomo for a spencer rib eye steak. Monterey is very nice friends Grand Banks is docked there. Hopefully the weather is cleared up there and raining here for the weekend

x1000 best steaks ever at that place!!!

we always stay here when up that way.

http://baywoodinn.com/

Check out the city of Cambria when your ready for lunch.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Heading up to Pismo for the weekend and already have made our Reservations for Jockos :thumbsup I always end up with the filet, might try the spencer this time.

jarrettolson

Reaction score
brophy bros is awesome for breakfast, bitchen views of the harbor. If your up for a good meal and stiff drink then head to Joe's on State Street, I worked there they pour the strongest drink in town and the food is delicous. Omaha steak is rediculous for the price and get a drink from Franky at the back of the bar, only one drink though.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Heading up to Pismo for the weekend and already have made our Reservations for Jockos :thumbsup I always end up with the filet, might try the spencer this time.

Go for it you will be glad you did. Filet is obviously the best most tender cut and most $$$. As far as flavor the Spencer Ribeye is my favorite hands down. Has a little more fat in it than a filet obviously but the taste well worth it. I am used to cooking in qaunity and quality where the Filet is not feasible to feed all the friends. Have mastered ribeyes and tri-tips on the BBques at Naci. Not enough fat in filet for my liking although I will eat it all day long. After reading another post on here about the home raised beef I was thinking about Jocko's Spencer ribeye. Enjoy and report.