WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Sales 2023

cxr

Reaction score
i wanna see how long Newell makes it....

i follow Andreew Steele on YT and they are always smugly talking about the price of a new Newell at 2.3 million
im guessing that markey dries up qickly . nice rigs but

Singleton

Reaction score

i follow Andreew Steele on YT and they are always smugly talking about the price of a new Newell at 2.3 million

The over $1M market will stay flat and revert back to 2019 numbers.

The 250-750k RV will get hammered the most.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for a 08 super c with triple slides. There’s some out there but like most the wife’s got their way and they painted the wood cabinets and I can’t stand that shit!!!

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting another American tradition, going to wait a bit, i think prices will come down

1691111587417.jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
What are the margins on a RV? Talking pre Covid.

I thought I remembered 2ff or someone saying getting 1/2 off of MSRP was fair?

69hondo

Reaction score
The used pre emissions diesel pusher market just keeps going up in prices.

PlanB

Reaction score
The Super C's I have been watching at the dealer have come down in price recently. They will be hold overs soon if they don't sell. Seems like the market is softening.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Dan and anyone else looking, here is some food for thought.
I know a young man who is employed at a large RV dealer, has been for 10 plus years. The company he works for has more than one but less than 10 stores.
Here is what he told me a couple weeks ago.
Wait.
The story goes that towards the end of the "pandemic" the dealers were ordering a lot of units expecting sales to remain brisk as they have been during the recent insanity. The manufacturers had a heck of a time getting the units out, but early last spring, right after interest rates started to climb and people started pulling their horns in, those units began arriving...and they are still arriving, and many dealers now have a ton of 2023 models on the lot that they are not moving as quickly, and they are not making the big markup on...some places are even sitting on a few 2022's.
The problem is the manufacturing has caught up...and soon, the 2024s will being showing up. That is gonna present several problems for the dealers and the manufacturers. The dealers have a finite amount of space to store these things. It ain't like cars, some of these suckers are huge as we all know.
The shoppers are going to see the price increases on the 2024s, and look at those 2023s.
He thinks there will be some deals to be had.
Furthermore there may be some kind of clock ticking on the 2023s and any remaining 2022s.
Apparently there is a time where the dealers can no longer sell non current model year units as "new". He did not know exactly how that works, but his bosses are worried and have begun trimming staff, etc. anticipating bad times ahead. They see this as something like a big slinky, it is all stretched out and the only way things will settle out is for time to pass...which means all the players are gonna get hurt, sorta the reverse of what happened to car buyers the last couple of years.
In fact...this guy is following his own advice. He and his wife want to buy a new toyhauler, and while he gets a insider deal, he thinks as the energy moves back and forth along the slinky that deals are gonna be better than he can do from the inside.
So he is waiting.
Sorry for the wall of text. This fellow has never steered me wrong, but his is the experience at one store in a group of several and not the end all be all. Buyer/shopper beware, your mileage may vary, don't shoot the messenger, if you didn't see it it didn't happen, if ya got pictures we can make a deal, etc. etc.

Travmon

Reaction score

I disagree , kinda like boats versus yachts people that are buying Newells can weather the storm. Its the under 400k models that will tank.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I bought Bighorn 5th wheel in March 2019, sticker was $92000, got it for less than $55000.
Bought it in Minnesota, no dealer in Ca was under $69K

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
I know a young man who is employed at a large RV dealer, has been for 10 plus years. The company he works for has more than one but less than 10 stores.
Wait.
The story goes that towards the end of the "pandemic" the dealers were ordering a lot of units expecting sales to remain brisk as they have been during the recent insanity. The manufacturers had a heck of a time getting the units out, but early last spring, right after interest rates started to climb and people started pulling their horns in, those units began arriving...and they are still arriving, and many dealers now have a ton of 2023 models on the lot that they are not moving as quickly, and they are not making the big markup on...some places are even sitting on a few 2022's.
The problem is the manufacturing has caught up...and soon, the 2024s will being showing up. That is gonna present several problems for the dealers and the manufacturers. The dealers have a finite amount of space to store these things. It ain't like cars, some of these suckers are huge as we all know.
The shoppers are going to see the price increases on the 2024s, and look at those 2023s.
Furthermore there may be some kind of clock ticking on the 2023s and any remaining 2022s.
Apparently there is a time where the dealers can no longer sell non current model year units as "new". He did not know exactly how that works, but his bosses are worried and have begun trimming staff, etc. anticipating bad times ahead. They see this as something like a big slinky, it is all stretched out and the only way things will settle out is for time to pass...which means all the players are gonna get hurt, sorta the reverse of what happened to car buyers the last couple of years.
In fact...this guy is following his own advice. He and his wife want to buy a new toyhauler, and while he gets a insider deal, he thinks as the energy moves back and forth along the slinky that deals are gonna be better than he can do from the inside.
So he is waiting.
Sorry for the wall of text. This fellow has never steered me wrong, but his is the experience at one store in a group of several and not the end all be all. Buyer/shopper beware, your mileage may vary, don't shoot the messenger, if you didn't see it it didn't happen, if ya got pictures we can make a deal, etc. etc.
Sounds like what I heard from Norco RV last year. They were getting calls from all the big name dealers that were offering them overflow stock due to the excess of brands they signed up to carry.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
They are going to be losing money.
RV industry is hurting big time.

Might be time to pickup that Super C I have been looking for, but avoiding anything built between Feb 2020 and Jan 2023!
One of the extruders I go to each quarter does a lot for the industry. He has been hit hard for sure. But then again everyone over bought as they were having a difficult time getting stock. Now some over bought and are sitting on a year of material with sales declining. It will be interesting to see who remains once the dust settles.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
They are going to be losing money.
RV industry is hurting big time.

Might be time to pickup that Super C I have been looking for, but avoiding anything built between Feb 2020 and Jan 2023!
There look like a nice 04 jayco seneca on havasu FB marketplace. 69k and 39k miles

Backlash

Reaction score
We just jumped into the mix with a lightly used but VERY clean, small bumper pull. We paid a fair price and got a good deal at the same time. I don't think we'll lose a ton of money in the long run. Momma is happy and excited, so that's all that matters. 👍

DWC

Reaction score
Wait.
So he is waiting.
That story has played out on every big ticket item across the US. Car/Truck Dealerships in Havasu have more units on the lot than they’ve had in a long time. Every retailer is taking huge markdowns on import goods that were ordered 18-24 mos ago. Some great deals to be had out there

Fabhouse

Reaction score
After a class A and diesel pusher in the last year of buying/trying to find a fit for us.....I bought a 35' Gulfstream Super C with a bunkhouse for the kids. Older, 2008, but for the price it was worth the remodel and time fixing everything. Could not be happier. Everyone fits, drives great, tows great. Total investment is around 44k with new tires, floors, bath and shower, decal wrap etc. I feel more secure in this unit that any of the newer 180k plus units we considered.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I am looking for a 5th wheel to park on private property as a vacation home type situation. Found one I liked in May and we made an offer. We were less than 5K apart but h3 said no. Within a month the guy started calling and texting almost weekly trying to accept. He has now offered it more than 5K under my 1st offer.
I now want a different layout, front TV area and rear bedroom layout, so the price doesn't matter but 100% the market is softening but the payments have stayed the same.

riverroyal

Reaction score
We did 35% off msrp in 2019. Pre covid.
Then sales and mark ups increased.
Now its coming back to normal.

The big downside is selling a used RV is going to be a huge problem

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
We did 35% off msrp in 2019. Pre covid.
Then sales and mark ups increased.
Now its coming back to normal.

The big downside is selling a used RV is going to be a huge problem

Let It Go…. Let it go….

just get out of it ASAP ! If anyone is selling….

bird in the hand and pay that bitch off! Dumpy dump

Reactions: DWC

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Maybe the new RVs come with a free hat to hold onto?

About 3 months ago I bought a used trailer for the river…because our POS 39ft prowler developed about a 6” sag in the header over the big slide out, and the subsequent water intrusion made a mess of everything. My dad bought the 39’ deal back in 2010 for $12K. I paid $14K for the same year (2007) 31’ trailer.

I don’t see prices going down that much in the used market. Quality on the other hand…I’m not sure Indiana could find the same grade of workers with both teeth during Covid as they had before Covid….build quality is even more questionable, which I didn’t think was possible.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I finally won out on a deal....bought a 2018 GD 351M 5th wheel, 2014 RAM DRW with apx 33K miles and a John Deer ORV in a package deal about 3 years ago. Sold the 2018 alone for apx $84K (includes ins money plus full asking price) AFTER the unit was damaged by a semi that clipped the back at a rest stop last year. Sold it AS IS without repairs done and full disclosure to the buyers who purchased it.

I then bought a rig that suits me better.....2022 GD 376THS for 100K and taxes. I think the MSRP was either $159 or $150K plus taxes and the normal throw on charges.

So basically I got a bigger, nicer, brand new rig for about $16K.....plus I still had the dually :)

I always used a starting negotiating point PRE COVID of 35% off of MSRP in the past.

It was awesome to finally win out on this stuff....

Be patient if buying and hold your ground.....

81Sprint

Reaction score
I saw the writing on the wall, bought our '21 Outback TT back in early 21 for 41k. Then the price jumped to almost 60k at the same dealer. Used it for 2 years, had some great trips never a problem with it, but started seeing the dealer lots filling up and sold it for $39k. Figured prices would come way down, as they have. Glad I sold it, those things typically have horrible resale but probably gonna be worse now. Plan now to get a moho, Super C or Class A but waiting as the prices keep coming down.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just bought a trailer so I’m well qualified to speak on this.

All of 2021 and 2022 we were actively visiting rv lots. We were making offers nothing low ball. Example Giant RV had a big bumper pull Torque we liked. They were asking 65k we offered 55k they laughed at us. Keep in mind the year before we bought the Stealth version of this same trailer from this dealer for 42k.

This happened at a few other dealers as well. So we gave up.

A few months ago we tried again. Went to a dealer in yucca valley that had a trailer marked down way below market. We weren’t there 5minutes and the dealer came down $2,000 without me asking. I would have bought it for the advertised price and thought I stole it.

We then went to another dealer I got that guy down 5k on a trailer I didn’t even want or try to buy.

Went back to first dealer and put a deposit down. Couple of dealers on a Facebook caught wind that input a deposit down and started calling me and dropping prices on trailers they had that I had inquired about.

From being laughed at 1 year to 2 yrs later being begged to buy tells the story.

Cdog

Reaction score
I finally won out on a deal....bought a 2018 GD 351M 5th wheel, 2014 RAM DRW with apx 33K miles and a John Deer ORV in a package deal about 3 years ago. Sold the 2018 alone for apx $84K (includes ins money plus full asking price) AFTER the unit was damaged by a semi that clipped the back at a rest stop last year. Sold it AS IS without repairs done and full disclosure to the buyers who purchased it.

I then bought a rig that suits me better.....2022 GD 376THS for 100K and taxes. I think the MSRP was either $159 or $150K plus taxes and the normal throw on charges.

So basically I got a bigger, nicer, brand new rig for about $16K.....plus I still had the dually :)

I always used a starting negotiating point PRE COVID of 35% off of MSRP in the past.

It was awesome to finally win out on this stuff....

Be patient if buying and hold your ground.....
Hows your hauler treating you? Mine has been good. I had a door or two delam a little. They are replacing. But over all love the rig and big ass garage. The 17.5 wheels are definitely a step up over the 16's on the previous Genesis we had.

hallett21

Reaction score
I just bought a trailer so I’m well qualified to speak on this.

All of 2021 and 2022 we were actively visiting rv lots. We were making offers nothing low ball. Example Giant RV had a big bumper pull Torque we liked. They were asking 65k we offered 55k they laughed at us. Keep in mind the year before we bought the Stealth version of this same trailer from this dealer for 42k.

This happened at a few other dealers as well. So we gave up.

A few months ago we tried again. Went to a dealer in yucca valley that had a trailer marked down way below market. We weren’t there 5minutes and the dealer came down $2,000 without me asking. I would have bought it for the advertised price and thought I stole it.

We then went to another dealer I got that guy down 5k on a trailer I didn’t even want or try to buy.

Went back to first dealer and put a deposit down. Couple of dealers on a Facebook caught wind that input a deposit down and started calling me and dropping prices on trailers they had that I had inquired about.

From being laughed at 1 year to 2 yrs later being begged to buy tells the story.
Funny how that works lol. I don’t fault anyone for making a big profit when they can but the pendulum always swings back

2Driver

Reaction score
In 2006 I bought a like new Itasca Class C for $40k from an estate, it was was originally $80k new. Still had stickers on appliances inside. Flipped it for $45k the same week. Fast forward the identical RV during the crisis was at an RV show brand new for $42k.

I can imagine the carrying cost for a dealer with a lot full of RVs and slowing sales.