WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Running boat on a hose

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So I have a SCX outdrive. I also have a low water pick up. So obviously basic earmuffs don’t work.

When they ran it on the hose in Tahoe they dipped the outdrive in a big bucket but it wasn’t sucking much water. Shoving a hose up the low water pickup had the most water coming out the exhaust.

Is that the best option? Hose to the low water pickup?

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I’ve got a Mercruiser that only has 3 holes on the bullet nosecone. I bought a large storage bin, filled it with water and left the hose running continuously filling the bin. Worked great and you know that the raw water pump is doing its job.

EBT531

Reaction score
That boat is set up to run off of the water pick up going thru the transom. I never blocked off the SCX intake as a backup in case a bag or something blocked the primary intake.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Personally I'm a big fan of a lake motor being being able to draw water in than muff's anytime

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
On a scx. I used a huge cooler and hose filling it on full blast. Don’t put it in gear doing that lol. But it’s not different than idling in the lake lol

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So I have a SCX outdrive. I also have a low water pick up. So obviously basic earmuffs don’t work.

When they ran it on the hose in Tahoe they dipped the outdrive in a big bucket but it wasn’t sucking much water. Shoving a hose up the low water pickup had the most water coming out the exhaust.

Is that the best option? Hose to the low water pickup?
If you’re running the boat on a hose and you’re not in gear on the drive I don’t see why you need to worry about cooling the drive for the short time you’re running the engine. The only thing turning is the input shaft but only up to the cone clutch.

On my boat the low water pickup on the SCX feeds the same sea strainer that the thru-hull pickup does. I have discovered the low water pickup can’t feed enough water alone if the thru-hull gets a blockage (weeds etc) to keep the engine cool, but it does keep the engine from completely starving.

When I run my boat on a hose I have a thru-hull hose adapter. It just fills up the sea strainer and any water that overfills just winds up going out the low water pickup in hose, effectively passing some water through the drive.

Obviously under normal conditions the low water pickup and the thru-hull both load the sea strainer and there is a pop-off valve that dumps excess pressure out of it keeping the water pump consistently fed.