WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

River House Security Systems

parker guy

Reaction score
What type of systems do you have. There has been some breakins in our park lately. Did you have someone that installed it or did you do it your self.

Thanks

WTDecker

Reaction score
What type of systems do you have. There has been some breakins in our park lately. Did you have someone that installed it or did you do it your self.

Thanks

Alarm systems just tell the crooks how much time they got to steal your shiat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I need an Alarm system and cameras in Carlsbad CA too BTW if anyone has a hook up on this..

RD

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I use a 130# Bloodhound.

Has worked fine for years. No break-ins. :D

jarrettolson

Reaction score
The best thing is have layers of security. Start with good motion sensing lighting on the outside of your house. Be conscious of your landscaping and any thick tall bushes close to the house that hide entrances/windows. Think about upgrading your locks to a high security lock system (Medeco, Mul-t-lock, abus, best, bi-lock, etc) these are much more resilient to picking and bumping by your common thief. Your run of the mill locks (schlage, kwikset, baldwin, weslock) can be made fairly resistant to picking but most of these I can have open in under a minute. Out of the box they are not a high security lock.

Also don't forget good solid window locks and patio door locks, just a hint it takes about ten seconds for a thief to knock out those wood dowels you place on sliding doors and windows so think about a locking bolt that mounts to the frame of the slider.

If your looking for the most user friendly alarm system for installation DSC is the manufacture I would recommend at the top of the list. I install these all day long, and also sell them to DIY'ers. Their wireless contacts are extremely small (about the size of two sticks of gum) and they have a tremendous range. Start by placing contacts on all doors and windows, then add motion detectors/glass breakage sensors where you feel fit. I recommend to all my clients having at least two sirens, one on the exterior with tamper switches and one hidden inside the home. Depending upon what kind of phone/internet/cell service you have in your park the monitoring fees and equipment vary greatly. If you have a copper based (old school) land line I would recommend that first, set it up with line seizure so no one can simply pick up the phone and your central monitoring station never gets the communication.

Be very wary of the free alarm companies, most of them go out of business and your account gets sold to the highest bidder. There are very few installations I have seen that are good installs, most installers just strip wires twist them up and call it a day. No solder, no connectors, no electrical tape.

I could go on for years. Let me know if you have any more question.

Jarrett

parker guy

Reaction score
The best thing is have layers of security. Start with good motion sensing lighting on the outside of your house. Be conscious of your landscaping and any thick tall bushes close to the house that hide entrances/windows. Think about upgrading your locks to a high security lock system (Medeco, Mul-t-lock, abus, best, bi-lock, etc) these are much more resilient to picking and bumping by your common thief. Your run of the mill locks (schlage, kwikset, baldwin, weslock) can be made fairly resistant to picking but most of these I can have open in under a minute. Out of the box they are not a high security lock.

Also don't forget good solid window locks and patio door locks, just a hint it takes about ten seconds for a thief to knock out those wood dowels you place on sliding doors and windows so think about a locking bolt that mounts to the frame of the slider.

If your looking for the most user friendly alarm system for installation DSC is the manufacture I would recommend at the top of the list. I install these all day long, and also sell them to DIY'ers. Their wireless contacts are extremely small (about the size of two sticks of gum) and they have a tremendous range. Start by placing contacts on all doors and windows, then add motion detectors/glass breakage sensors where you feel fit. I recommend to all my clients having at least two sirens, one on the exterior with tamper switches and one hidden inside the home. Depending upon what kind of phone/internet/cell service you have in your park the monitoring fees and equipment vary greatly. If you have a copper based (old school) land line I would recommend that first, set it up with line seizure so no one can simply pick up the phone and your central monitoring station never gets the communication.

Be very wary of the free alarm companies, most of them go out of business and your account gets sold to the highest bidder. There are very few installations I have seen that are good installs, most installers just strip wires twist them up and call it a day. No solder, no connectors, no electrical tape.

I could go on for years. Let me know if you have any more question.

Jarrett

Thanks for the advise, I'm looking for the riverhouse and have no phone out there. I would like motion detectors and already have motion lights. I have heard that you can turn onn the AC with some units also is this true

jarrettolson

Reaction score
Cellular is great, but its huge flaw is exactly what RvRat mentioned, if cell service blows then your up shit creek. IP has come leaps and bounds, do you have an internet connection at the River?

Yes you can run AC and other things with integration modules. I have stuff that you can integrate cameras, ac, lights, and other functions all via your cell phone, it does require an internet connection though. Other modules can be integrated and activated through a phone call.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Alarms need some sort of communication so it can call the police. If you don't have means of communication (i.e. phone line or internet) put a big ass siren outside the theves will not hang around...its better to go to another place with no alarm

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Lorne @ Havasu Wiring is the guy, he does all types of low voltage stuff, security, media centers, etc. He did my previous house in Havasu and just finished up my new one with 4 tv's and over 20 speakers inside and out, all controllable from one whole house remote.

http://havasuwiring.com/

NdaWind

Reaction score
Shame that Chipster is on vacation I think he is in that business. I had one of the big company's whole house deals for a few years. did some remolding and had cut the phone line cord in that room. Turns out that was the one the alarm company used. Did not realize at the time and we never got a call from them that our system wasn't functioning properly.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Lorne @ Havasu Wiring is the guy, he does all types of low voltage stuff, security, media centers, etc. He did my previous house in Havasu and just finished up my new one with 4 tv's and over 20 speakers inside and out, all controllable from one whole house remote.

http://havasuwiring.com/

X2 Lorne did mine in Havasu for me. Good guy and does good work. I have enough full time retired neighbors I just went with a loud alarm with no monitoring(yet may add some day)

boa1277

Reaction score
Talk to Pink Taco he owns a ADT dealership out of Prescott and is always in Parker. I am sure he can hook you up with a great deal on equipment and can give you some good advice as to what may work for you there! Good luck....

jarrettolson

Reaction score
Shame that Chipster is on vacation I think he is in that business. I had one of the big company's whole house deals for a few years. did some remolding and had cut the phone line cord in that room. Turns out that was the one the alarm company used. Did not realize at the time and we never got a call from them that our system wasn't functioning properly.

wow, I can't believe that the company did not do weekly panel checks. We do weekly checks on every customer that does monitoring with us. When we get a failure to communicate I get on the phone ASAP.

I took over and redid a system a couple months ago that had zero monitoring on it and the alarm company had sold them on a cellular package for 50+ a month. No phone line connection, no cell, no internet module.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
jarrett where do you work? San diego?

RD

jarrettolson

Reaction score
I'm in the South Bay, my shop is in Manhattan Beach to be specific.

rivergames

Reaction score
When we were up for Thanksgiving weekend, out neighbor said someone broke into her house and stole a bunch of $hit. My cousin is an electrician so he installed about 5 motion sensors for them. I hate thieves with a passion :swear

ParkerTime

Welcome to Paradise!!!
Reaction score
at my river house, I use a company called Western Alarm Service, Inc.
The company is located in Lake Havasu City -phone 928) 855-5608
I selected a standard wireless system $300, with a few extras $450 and $25 a month. Western Alarm gave me a free quote, professional instalation and for the last few years good service.

xyz

Reaction score
Dave,

This is who I have at my house. Do not forget about the garage doors. Nobody ever remembers them. They are out of Vista.
Good guys. They do big corporate and the little guys...

http://www.protec-alarm.com/

Progressive techonlogy

http://www.protec-alarm.com/