WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Real Train Caboose

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
So RDP ... how much effort and money is this worth?

Ever since I was a kid going to Knotts Berry Farm I have wanted a train caboose for a whiskey, cigar, sports bar, poker room, & man cave. Recently I found a Southern Pacific Train Caboose in Sacramento but I live in Orange County.

I have the room for it on my property but logistics and costs are adding up fast. Cranes at both locations, one lowboy truck for the caboose and a second truck for the wheels and tracks and then the legality issue of the the County of Orange can't even figure out if permits are even needed and if so what permits.
Screenshot_20240207_155336_craigslist.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
that is flipping cool. good luck wit it.

have been to this place a few times. maybe someday there can help you.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Very cool and good luck!

Along the same topic, if anyone wants a unique getaway on Clear Lake...

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Very cool and good luck!

These are the problem I am having with the County of Orange. The county does not believe me when I say I'm not making a tiny house. I will not have plumbing or a bed.
A tiny house is classified as a residencial structure and has different setbacks and permitting process. I offered to do a shed permit but I was told since it is on wheels it doesn't need a permit.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
This will sound odd, but I actually knew a guy that lived in Orange, and moved one to his business there for some resto work, then hauled it to Fallbrook. I believe he used Marco to haul it, and I think it was a lowboy RGN? It still had the trucks attached, rolled of and on I believe. I don't know how old he'd be now, but his name was Robert "Bobby" Babcock. The business was RWB party props. He was a Horseless Carriage Club guy, but owned a 14ton narrow gage steam engine...like the ones from Knott's.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
If anyone is near Georgetown Ca 95634 and knows how to use a tape measure they could save me a 7 hour drive.
Is the one still in Needles? Someone probably close to that. Maybe a RR guy knows where to find stats?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have a buddy who did something similar and it's also a VRBO

outboard_256

Reaction score
I guess my thought would be how much is going to cost door to door and how much would it cost to make a replica look alike. Wouldn't have to be functional as a train so a lot of shortcuts can be made in building it. Might be cheaper to build a mancave to look like a train than to transport that one over.

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
These are the problem I am having with the County of Orange. The county does not believe me when I say I'm not making a tiny house. I will not have plumbing or a bed.
A tiny house is classified as a residencial structure and has different setbacks and permitting process. I offered to do a shed permit but I was told since it is on wheels it doesn't need a permit.
They'll probably try to tax the shit out of you for something ..

arch stanton

Reaction score
There are some lowbed guys that have rails they install on their trailer to haul rail equipment the caboose may be to tall to haul with the wheels on but if not rolling it on and off could save a bunch
14 foot tall is easy and can be done under most guys yearly permit taller than that requires a one way and routing up to 15’ is not to bad most lowbed trailers are 2’ high and a landall style are about 3’ high it looks like a caboose is between 10’ and 14’ tall if the cupola could be removed I bet the move would be in the 14’ tall range but the. What is the length and wheel base the weight is not a big deal looks to be 50 to 60 Thousand pounds
My grandfather spent 38 years working for southern pacific mostly living in a caboose

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I may be able to help you

zhandfull

Reaction score
This may give you some insight on what is required for moving it.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
I'm a freshly retired residential nail bender. One of our long-time customers has a caboose he had brought in and he rebuilt it from the trucks up. We helped him with some things when time aloud. It's been a 20 project. It's going to be used as a cocktail bar for him and his railroad buddies. As of last summer, it still needed to have all the interior installed(floor, walls, ceiling). We asked him multiple times to hire us to come and finish it, but he turned us down or we were to busy at the time. He's a retired longshoreman and wanted to do it all himself. Dec. '22 he fell off a ladder hanging Christmas lights and bonked his head pretty good so the project has stalled for now(he's late 70's). Kind of a bummer as I would really like to see this finished.
20220907_134655.jpg

20220831_140706.jpg

20220831_140826.jpg

Sparky

Reaction score
If anyone is near Georgetown Ca 95634 and knows how to use a tape measure they could save me a 7 hour drive.
I believe that is actually in Placerville, right around the corner from my house. I see that thing every morning and think how cool that would be to have that on my property. Let me know if I can help if this is the same one.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It may be too large to be classified as a shed (i'd be willing to be there are height restrictions on that) and being on wheels may get it a temporary classification resulting in limited time it could be in 1 spot? You couldn't do a permit for a general outbuilding?

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
With the Cali laws, would it actually be easier to list it as an "ADU"? I don't know how that has changed things and if it's county by county and such.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I so want one for a guest house. I wanted to live in one when I was a kid. Always wanted one. Very cool.

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
My ex brother in laws parents had an old caboose they restored at their house in Yucca. They turned it into a guest house. I was always awesome to go out and stay in it during holiday get togethers.

timstoy

Reaction score
Bragg Crane / Heavy Transport has rail car trailers. Would be an over sized load with special permits and pilot cars needed. A route survey would be needed for height and width for transport. A crane would be needed for loading and unloading.Be prepared for a very expensive move!

timstoy

Reaction score
Very cool and good luck!

Friends of ours stayed there and said it was a great experience!

RVRKID

Reaction score
That would be such a cool man cave.. A friend of mines husband worked in the caboose, his job was to drink and play cards with the people paying to ride..

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I woke up to way more messages and offers of help than I ever thought. PMs sent to anyone offering advise or help. THANK YOU ALL.

Project status....
Caboose purchase price negotiated.
Crane in Orange county quoted.

Trucking out for bid
Crane at pick-up out for bid.

Confirmed ZERO chance of shipping with wheels OR CUPPOLA for height issues down canyon roads (Trees).
Wheels were one thing but cutting off the top might be the straw that breaks my back.
Screenshot_20240209_114941_YouTube.jpg

But.... it is doable. Pressing on.

traquer

Reaction score
If you go out there and supervise a crew to cut the top off cleanly I can't imagine it would be too difficult to weld back? You're doing a full paint and restoration anyway after I assume.

Very cool project

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
The lid may not be as bad as you think. Most things of that era and type were very simplistic. I wouldn't doubt you'd cut or grind the exterior skin rivets around the base, remove the interior wood around the opening and remove some square nuts and bolts. Depending on the structure, you may be able to lower it into the coach itself for the ride down. Removing the trucks isn't hard, but it's also where I heard the term "work smarter, not harder" the first time. It's all nuts and bolts, just heavier.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I have a buddy who did something similar and it's also a VRBO

Thank you for the connection... Brian called me... HUGE HELP.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
The lid may not be as bad as you think. Most things of that era and type were very simplistic. I wouldn't doubt you'd cut or grind the exterior skin rivets around the base, remove the interior wood around the opening and remove some square nuts and bolts. Depending on the structure, you may be able to lower it into the coach itself for the ride down. Removing the trucks isn't hard, but it's also where I heard the term "work smarter, not harder" the first time. It's all nuts and bolts, just heavier.

I went to a The Fullerton Train Museum today and started counting rivets on a similar Cuppalla top... I stopped counting after 20 rivets and not being even 1/5th of the way down one side. Even that didn't bother me but each side is less than 1/3 of the barrel top which also has rivets. Just a rough guess but 800 ish of 5/16th rivet each with a bubble head. Not impossible but for me with a 4" cutoff wheel it may be the insurmountable issue. The re-installation, assuming everything stays square, is not the issue. I have time at the delivery location. If lucky maybe 30 good years left.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I went to a The Fullerton Train Museum today and started counting rivets on a similar Cuppalla top... I stopped counting after 20 rivets and not being even 1/5th of the way down one side. Even that didn't bother me but each side is less than 1/3 of the barrel top which also has rivets. Just a rough guess but 800 ish of 5/16th rivet each with a bubble head. Not impossible but for me with a 4" cutoff wheel it may be the insurmountable issue. The re-installation, assuming everything stays square, is not the issue. I have time at the delivery location. If lucky maybe 30 good years left.
I don't know much about the construction of a "late model"...the only one I was ever really in and out of was Bobby's, and his was turn of the century. It was mostly wood with iron bracketry. I wonder if this one could be cut above the rivet flange, and then welded back together. Much like chopping a top, but just reattaching when in place. If you were going to repaint, it may be an option.

Bucking 800+ rivets would suck, and require another person to help swedge them. On a few hot rod projects, I shortened some 3/16th and 1/4" rivets, put them in a hole, and tack welded them on the backside. This gave the appearance of being factory, but the factory used some type of hydraulic C-clamp on steroids...I don't have one.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I don't know much about the construction of a "late model"...the only one I was ever really in and out of was Bobby's, and his was turn of the century. It was mostly wood with iron bracketry. I wonder if this one could be cut above the rivet flange, and then welded back together. Much like chopping a top, but just reattaching when in place. If you were going to repaint, it may be an option.

Bucking 800+ rivets would suck, and require another person to help swedge them. On a few hot rod projects, I shortened some 3/16th and 1/4" rivets, put them in a hole, and tack welded them on the backside. This gave the appearance of being factory, but the factory used some type of hydraulic C-clamp on steroids...I don't have one.

I watched the 2nd video @zhandfull posted on link 19 and that is exactly what they did. They ground off the side rivets but cut the curve above the roof. It seems much easier except.....
IMG_2929.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

The one I want is all metal but has already been wood paneled exactly as I want. If I cut it I will 100% catch it on fire.

HBCraig

Reaction score
So RDP ... how much effort and money is this worth?

Ever since I was a kid going to Knotts Berry Farm I have wanted a train caboose for a whiskey, cigar, sports bar, poker room, & man cave. Recently I found a Southern Pacific Train Caboose in Sacramento but I live in Orange County.

I have the room for it on my property but logistics and costs are adding up fast. Cranes at both locations, one lowboy truck for the caboose and a second truck for the wheels and tracks and then the legality issue of the the County of Orange can't even figure out if permits are even needed and if so what permits.
View attachment 1332809
View attachment 1332810
Dad always told me, it's not a train unless it has a caboose. If no caboose, it's a string of cars

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I watched the 2nd video @zhandfull posted on link 19 and that is exactly what they did. They ground off the side rivets but cut the curve above the roof. It seems much easier except.....
View attachment 1333240 View attachment 1333241
The one I want is all metal but has already been wood paneled exactly as I want. If I cut it I will 100% catch it on fire.
A body saw and patience....as in automotive body work, not "Goodfellas" type body saw. Basically a small jigsaw. That may do the trick with no sparks.