WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Real Estate Transactions - Memorable Transactions

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Although this was close to 30 years ago, I will never forget and share it with anyone that wants to listen. It is a combination of customer service, meeting the needs of everyone involved and all with a sense of humor.

So, my wife heads off to the store and returns shortly and says you need to come look at a house. We has sold our previous home the previous year and moved to a new area. As we were not sure this was long term, we leased a place to feel out the area.

I wiped the grease off my hands, as I was changing the oil on the car, and we drove a block away to look at the house. We were thinking about building, but the requirements were a large lot and a pool.

So we enter the court and take a look. The lot is pie shaped so the back yard is huge. Large pool, house is a 4/3, so plenty of room for the two of us. The price was in line with the lots, plus the pool, so we were basically getting the house for free.

We meet the RE agent at his office to make an offer, we fill out the forms and he states he will contact the owner and get back to us. We start to leave and he turns to the fellow at the desk at the back of the office and says, "I have an offer on your house for $125,000." The fellow responds, "I can't go that low, $127,500 is the best I can do." He then turns to us and says, "I've contacted the owner and $127,500 is his counter offer and I believe he is firm on the price."

I almost fell off my chair and said, SOLD.......

It gets better, we start the mortgage process and rates are at 11% and start to fall. We contact the real estate agent and ask what is the owner's motive. He says that he wants to sell it, but in the meantime, he doesn't want to make the monthly payments, as he had built a new home for the previous owner and had taken this in as a trade.

The RE agent calls me back and says why don't you move in, rent it and he'll give you $300 a month against the down payment, just close it within the next 6 months or so.

So, that's what we did, interest rate was 1.75% lower when we closed and we are still here. Every time I think of those old horse traders, I still smile.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
Awesome! Nothing like the "good ole days!" Being a Realtor, it's fun clients and transactions like these that make me love my job!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
This bhc bring his been quite the headache. It will b worth it though

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Haha that's awesome!

I have dozens of wacky stories, but this one is at the top.

I once had a listing that just would not sell. You couldn't give it away. It was in a rough area of the IE, mixed use land, wedged between a section 8 building and a biker club house/ methlab. There were literally bullet holes on one side of the house. Couldn't keep homeless people out of it and the list goes on.

Well, I finally put the SOB in escrow and it burned down 5 days later... Needless to say, so did my paycheck. :)

JM21

Reaction score
Haha that's awesome!

I have dozens of wacky stories, but this one is at the top.

I once had a listing that just would not sell. You couldn't give it away. It was in a rough area of the IE, mixed use land, wedged between a section 8 building and a biker club house/ methlab. There were literally bullet holes on one side of the house. Couldn't keep homeless people out of it and the list goes on.

Well, I finally put the SOB in escrow and it burned down 5 days later... Needless to say, so did my paycheck. :)

Not to one up you but similar story. Had a house in Escrow, 1 day before close....Partner agent I work with calls me at 8am and says turn on the news..."house fire on Gaviota circle in Carlsbad appears to be suicide"....The lady was losing the house and decided to light the house on fire and go back and lay in bed. Sad deal.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Porter Ranch area . After the deal went down, the Escrow company was required to send a check for "California sales tax withholding" to the Franchise Tax Board . The Escrow people send a 'bank check' to the Tax Board for the correct amount $23+K, however the check and all the included paperwork with it had blatant errors . This Escrow company has 'two people check everything over' and STAMP their personal approval of the documents . (two stamps of approval) I called the Tax board numerous times and no one there could tell me what was wrong . I contacted the Escrow company and they faxed over a copy of the check and the docs . TWO PEOPLE missed the fact that the 'EIN' tax number had 3 digits missing all over the place . I called them back, pointed out their error and they immediately faxed over the corrected paperwork, to the Tax Board . I have called the Tax Board numerous times since that correction and have always been told, "the check will go out tomorrow" . So I have gotten a "check is in the mail" July 2014, Oct 2014, Dec 2014, Feb 2015, April 2015, and now yesterday- May 2015 . What I have never gotten was 'a kiss' to go with all their promises . Got one more property to sell in that neighborhood . WILL use the same realtor, WILL NOT use the same Escrow company . Never had anything like this happen in any other real property sale ever . I do appreciate the real professionals who earn their money and do their work correctly, every day . But the others ......????

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I am glad I am done buying houses.

I have tons of funny stories.

Just glad I am done with the mess.

The last transaction was the best, awesome realtor and even better lender.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I could spend hours on this thread but too busy right now.........:D

In fact, got a purchase in Wisconsin closing this minute. Guy is closing on his current house at one title company and then walking down the hall to sign docs for his new house at another title company. Nothing like a duel closing on the last day of the month to fund!!

cmayer

Reaction score
I'm dealing with one now. Sellers trying to cancel due sellers remorse, sellers agent in breach of contract, loan officer on vacation. All sorts of fun.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm dealing with one now. Sellers trying to cancel due sellers remorse, sellers agent in breach of contract, loan officer on vacation. All sorts of fun.

That. Sounds. Like. Fun.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Yup.....there are always things like this coming up.....sometimes all you can do is habg in there and push for your rights.....if this is an issue with an agent not doing their job gimme a call and I may be able to point you in the right direction in terms of how to place leverage.......If you're the agent then I'm sorry you had to deal with this....good luck!

cmayer

Reaction score
Yup.....there are always things like this coming up.....sometimes all you can do is habg in there and push for your rights.....if this is an issue with an agent not doing their job gimme a call and I may be able to point you in the right direction in terms of how to place leverage.......If you're the agent then I'm sorry you had to deal with this....good luck!
Thanks! I really appreciate the offer. They finally let the inspectors in, so we'll see where it goes from here. I'll shoot you a PM if we hit more bumps in the road.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My most memorable one is buying it on the courthouse steps....I was shaking like a leaf when time came to bid, no one bid against me so I got it for one penny more than the opening bid number. That house now is worth about $250k more in the 7 yrs......and it's provided me some much needed income.:thumbup:

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
My house in RSM is listed now. Been here 17 years. I can't wait for all the headaches. [emoji15][emoji107]

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Not to one up you but similar story. Had a house in Escrow, 1 day before close....Partner agent I work with calls me at 8am and says turn on the news..."house fire on Gaviota circle in Carlsbad appears to be suicide"....The lady was losing the house and decided to light the house on fire and go back and lay in bed. Sad deal.

Wow. That's terrible to read. So sad. :(

I never thought I'd see some of the things I have in this business.