WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP think tank. Infant life vest

copterzach

Reaction score
What's everyone using? Our little boy is 10ish lbs. We are looking a few different ones. Needs to be USCG approved for boat use.

Singleton

Reaction score
I have one - let me see if I can find it - had it for sale in RDP

copterzach

Reaction score
Looking at these swaddle type?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437172492.643419.jpg

Andy01

Reaction score
Man I probably still have one in the tri toon in Havasu. If it is here you could have it but your in Tx correct?

Andy01

Reaction score
Oh I think ours is pink as well, I have two daughters. West Marine if you have one near by should have one. The one you posted is what my girls started with.

Singleton

Reaction score
This is what I have. You pay shipping and you can have it. Only problem is I am in Denver until Monday and life jacket is in Havasu.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437173463.437214.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437173472.356872.jpg

I might be able to get someone to get it out if my storage if needed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What's everyone using? Our little boy is 10ish lbs. We are looking a few different ones. Needs to be USCG approved for boat use.

Zach we have several, and I'm pretty sure we aren't using them anymore as our kids are a little bigger now. PM me your address and I'll have Stacy send you one of them.

That said, no matter what TRY THEM OUT.. and I don't mean put it on the child and see if she/he floats. I mean put it on the child and see if you can gently get them to float face down. If they don't roll over, put it aside and try another one.. Some are better then others, and some kids float differently then others.

Remember the only time in theory that a kid might need that is if something really bad happens.. and it's likely you won't be there to help them along so the life jacket has to do its job. I haven't found any that truly work that great. I thought about designing and making a line of life jackets that would be better, but the costs, and most importantly the liability would be hard to overcome.

RD

copterzach

Reaction score
Zach we have several, and I'm pretty sure we aren't using them anymore as our kids are a little bigger now. PM me your address and I'll have Stacy send you one of them.

That said, no matter what TRY THEM OUT.. and I don't mean put it on the child and see if she/he floats. I mean put it on the child and see if you can gently get them to float face down. If they don't roll over, put it aside and try another one.. Some are better then others, and some kids float differently then others.

Remember the only time in theory that a kid might need that is if something really bad happens.. and it's likely you won't be there to help them along so the life jacket has to do its job. I haven't found any that truly work that great. I thought about designing and making a line of life jackets that would be better, but the costs, and most importantly the liability would be hard to overcome.

RD

I will gladly pay shipping. And I will whatever you have. Thanks for the advice. I would like a couple to try and will definitely send them on to whoever is also looking.

toon

Reaction score
I will look around to see if I still have one I could send you. Will be similar to the one Singlton is offering. Our little guy had no problems wearing that type. He would stay in it all day if we would let him.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We got our infant a Hyperlite neoprene infant vest and he loves it. In this pic he was 7 weeks old.
uploadfromtaptalk1437192661132.jpg

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy...... But..... My granddaughter is 6 months old... And I will not bring her to Havasu nevermind on the boat until next summer at the earliest... Infants don't adjust to temperature changes well, and appear fine until they crash. Just my .2 cents.. And my opinion.... Boating is just not that important to me.

rrrr

Reaction score
Just to familiarize everyone with the correct information, a PFD for an infant is classified by the USCG as a Type II. Type II PFDs are supposed to turn the wearer face up.

Type I jackets are the big bulky offshore types designed to keep the wearer alive for long periods in rough water. A Type III is the garden variety PFD, and can be anything from the orange choke-n-float to really nice ski vests. A Type IV is the throwable cushion which no one seems to have on board when they get pulled over. ;)

RD's advice about trying out the vest in the pool is solid. You need to make sure the crotch strap is properly adjusted.

I think it's great members have offered to send a vest to you, but if it was me I'd buy a new one so you can test it and you know all of the zippers, snaps, and straps are in good condition and they work. If the vest doesn't fit correctly, you can try a different one. It's obviously not something you want to save a buck on with a hand me down if it's not right.

I had good luck with a Stohlquist for my grandson. It had good reviews, fit well, and turned him face up when tested.

http://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-Infant-Nemo-Personal-Floatation/dp/B005T9GLRS/?tag=smsrs-20

http://www.lucieslist.com/lucies-li...ackets-for-infants-toddlers-and-preschoolers/

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've had many with all the kids I raised.
Ya want it yellow or bright orange so the child can be better spotted in the water.
Reflective material a plus too for at night.
The back-of-the-neck float keeps their head above water and some have handles on them as well.
Crotch strap is good if you can find one that way.

Dicks Sporting Goods:
pDSP1-21438459v750.jpg

pDSP1-21438461_alternate1_p275w.jpg

dread Pirate

Reaction score
We've had a CWB and a JET Pilot. The CWB was a great vest for little ones. He could sleep in it and had had kind of a soft inner liner where it would rub. The Jet Pilot was better for 1+ year olds imo.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Call me crazy...... But..... My granddaughter is 6 months old... And I will not bring her to Havasu nevermind on the boat until next summer at the earliest... Infants don't adjust to temperature changes well, and appear fine until they crash. Just my .2 cents.. And my opinion.... Boating is just not that important to me.

You asked for it... You are crazy. :D

People have been caring for infants in harsher conditions than Havasu for millenia. Keep 'em hydrated and out of the Sun.

Do what ever you are comfortable with, My kids went in the boat as infants. Heck my kids lived in Tucson and would play outside when it was 100+.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My 14 month old has 2. A body glove and a HO. Both hand-me-downs. The body glove seeme fits a little better although the HO fits pretty descent as well. Id advise NOT getting one that doesnt zip or buckle closed in the front. They seem to be much more unpleasant for the kid as it tends to restrict their head movement more.she actuallys really likes this vest. If i did buy one though, id go with bright colors also for the saftey aspect if the unthinkable occured.

uploadfromtaptalk1437237797851.jpg