WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Race radios - Rugged, PCI, etc

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looking to add a radio to the Jeep for this desert season. Last years accident left me feeling pretty dumb for not having one, I would have heard all about that pole in the road way before I came up on it. Our entire group runs Rugged or PCI setups.

I was doing some reading and apparently these radios are VHF and the “race” channels can be programmed into any VHF radio if you know what the frequency numbers are, and how to do it. I also see that there are some die-hard HAM nuts that threaten everyone and warn against using VHF without a license, as it is technically a big no-no. We of course are in the middle of the desert and would be using specific Channels shared by mostly the off road community

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I just bite the bullet and get a 40-60 watt Rugged or PCI with antenna and mic, i is there a DIY setup that anyone has done?

c_land

Reaction score
if you get a handheld, you can dial in the frequency you want. There is a list on race dezert of a bunch of race frequencies. The hand helds are way cheaper

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Ditto on the Race Dezert crowd. A lot of info, and usually mounted units for sale as well. We ran PCI's, but that was a while back...don't even remember if there were other options.

rickym20

Reaction score
We went with PCI Radios on the RZR and have hand held radios mounted to my kids little Rzr 170 and other kids raptor 250 both with helmet kits. Works great for communication.
My brother got the boefang handheld with helmet kits for considerably less and sounds clear when communicating with us. Just punches in the frequency we are on and he is in there. Something to consider. Either way I won’t go without radios again on an Offroad vehicle now that I am used to them.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Check our everyelse classified. Largeorangefont has one for sale

yz450mm

Reaction score
PCI vs Rugged is Ford versus Chevy in the off-road world. Me personally, I like PCI stuff, but I also have a ton of Amazon Baofeng stuff for handhelds.

Regarding licensing issues, nobody gives a flying fuck. Seriously. Weatherman and BFG relay would give you the best chance of getting help if you're in a shitty situation and only had a radio.

Buy a good quality radio to put in your side by side or race car, that way you don't have to replace in the future. Handhelds are cheap enough to be throwaways, no need to spend Motorola money there.
20191103_192640.jpg
20191103_192518.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2Driver

Reaction score
From what I understand rugged radio handhelds are just rebrand 5 watt baofengs for 3x the price. Those radios are $25 radios

We just all bought the new 8 watt Baofengs bf-f8hp. Its 8 watts, bigger battery and antenna

I programmed in the FRS channels in case Im with folks with only FRS, the standard weather channels, and 4 of the Marine band frequencies so now its basically a marine radio, also has FM radio. The rest of the channels were off what the rugged radio comes with and are pretty standard channels less a bunch of the UHF ones. I think I have 40 total channels. Ive never done it before, but with the chirp software ( free) and their program usb cord it was as easy as filling out a few columns in a spreadsheet then downloading it to the radio.

I reached 1.8 miles with our 2 radios and almost a mile communicating with an FRS channel 7. I suspect with a roof antenna it would go farther but its all we need for riding and hiking

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
I have rugged in my can am, I also have several hand heads like (5 or 6) Also have a remote head unite in my jk unlimited.

You just need the frequency number to get on any channel. You can get a saddle or a cord plug Set up for rechargeable batts or you can get a battery pack and use disposable batts get what works best for your situation/ program. It’s nice to have a couple hand helds, you can pass them out to kids or others so they have coms, or even road trips with several cars it’s nice to have. Also if you get out and walk around your car you still have coms with a hand held otherwise your kinda stuck to the cars radio if someone is running late or not arrived to the stop you can hear what’s up.

In my jk I have a remote face on the dash cross bar & radio body is under the seat, just set up antenna! It’s a Yaesu, works great! I can send or post a pic tomorrow if needed.

We would do jeep runs and every body would use the CB radio, but my buds & I would have hand held radios for coms the group didn’t need to hear our chatting back and fourth and we also had the CB radio for the group ride.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I want to get some good range out of it, so I’m leaning way from the 5 watt / 8 watt handhelds and want to do a perm install 60 watt in the Jeep.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I want to get some good range out of it, so I’m leaning way from the 5 watt / 8 watt handhelds and want to do a perm install 60 watt in the Jeep.
A handheld with a magnetic Mount roof antenna , and a hard install mobile with a roof antenna aren't going to have much difference in range. They're both line of sight.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve only ever used PCI....
i have a card at home with a list of channels vs freqs I’ll take a pic when i get home and post it. If you call PCI ask for Ralley Alleigh she will take great care of you, tell her Peter sent you to her.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
For a Jeep you do not need to connect it to an intercom. So you don’t need to go get raped by Rugged or PCI.

The 60 watt radio Rugged rebrands is $140. Make sure you get one in the correct frequency range. This one may not be it, just using it as an example.

TYT TH-9000D Mobile Car 60W Amateur Ham Radio Transceiver, 220-260MHz, 200CH, 8 Scrambler, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007T4L23E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C77VDb90T3PG0

Now all Rugged does is program it with their common frequency list and they add a jumper for an intercom.

A cable to program the radio is about $15, and you can figure out the process in about an hour and build your own “program”, download The CHIRP software (free)to program it yourself

If you buy that radio, the hand mic I have for sale will work with it.

The accessories Rugged offers are pretty good. I didn’t want a hand mic with all the programming buttons on it, so I bought the Rugged hand mic that just has the PTT button.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you want a radio with a smaller footprint, this is 25 watt radio for $70.

QYT KT-8900 Mini Dual Band Mobile Transceiver 2M 136-174MHz/70cm 400-480MHz 25W Amateur Car Radio (HAM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M6D1WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Xa8VDb3QKBWPH

I run this one in my RZR, it works great. Rugged used to sell this as their RM25.

I got it with a jumper on it from another communications vendor, but again, same rebranded Chinese radio.

This 25 watt radio is nice because it does not pull a ton of power. You can run it off your cigarette lighter if you don’t want it permanently mounted. It is small and easy to mount however.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I can get you the link to the Rugged frequency list:

https://www.ruggedradios.com/PDF/Frequencies/Frequency-RH7X.pdf

If you get the 25 watt radio I can clone my config and just email you the file.

I can also do the same if you buy a Baofeng $20 5 watt handheld. Rugged colors those blue and programs them, then sells them for $60+.

It is good to carry a 5 watt in the car as well, especially a Jeep. You can just toss it to a spotter. And just talk or hear your spotter over the radio.

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
A handheld with a magnetic Mount roof antenna , and a hard install mobile with a roof antenna aren't going to have much difference in range. They're both line of sight.

Even 5watt VS 60watt ?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Even 5watt VS 60watt ?

It will get you more range just not 12x more range unless conditions are perfect. The antenna alone being so much higher helps equalize a lot, but the 60 watt will have greater transmission range.

You could try the 5 watt setup first, if it does not work you are out the cost of a handheld, and an antenna adapter... and the hand held you can still use anyway.

With the magnetic antenna you have a “portable” setup you can give to a friend to use if you go with hard mount radio later. But if you went with a hard mount antenna, you can get the adapters to use it on a handheld, or a mobile radio.

Last edited:

Dana757

Reaction score
Speaking of radios ..... who here has their amateur radio license? I do not but have been studying for the technician test. So for now just been using Baofengs on the FRS channels.

2Driver

Reaction score

Its amazing how far those will reach. My buddy got through to me with his 50 watt base unit and roof antenna and he is 25 miles away and we have several mountains between us.

Honestly you don't need to get a so called race radio unless you want to. If you know zero about radios and need something preprogrammed then sure. Support is nice from Rugged they pick up the phone and talk as long as you have questions. I had the intercom and 20 watt car to car in the SXS and it was $2200, plus installation. LOL so you kind of pay for the support. You can nab a high quality radio on Craigslist for $150 and antennas are cheap.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The best set up is a cross banding / dual band mounted to your vehicle... Your 5 watt handhelds talk to your vehicle radio and your vehicle radio cross bands that up to the vehicle mounted antenna at 50-60 watts or so.

Radio watts really isn't as important as antenna tuning, placement and line of sight. I have hit a repeaters 50-60 nautical miles away with a 5 watt baofeng on a 30 foot antenna.

The people with "race radios" are normally working in about a 100 yard distance on 75 watts overblasting each other and can't figure out why their radios don't work.

Using a "race radio" outside of a sanctioned event is just as illegal as using a modified amateur VHF on the commercial spectrum, so you are technically in violation of FCC rules either way.

I prefer my Yaesus over my Kenwoods or my Alincos....

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Its amazing how far those will reach. My buddy got through to me with his 50 watt base unit and roof antenna and he is 25 miles away and we have several mountains between us. Honestly you don't need to get a so called race radio unless you want to. If you know zero about radios and need something preprogrammed then sure. Support is nice from Rugged they pick up the phone and talk as long as you have questions. I had the intercom and 20 watt car to car in the SXS and it was $2200 LOL so you kind of pay for the support. You can nab a high quality radio on the CL for $150

If you get your license and learn how to use the repeaters its even better.... I have talked from my house in Baja to Phoenix thorough the CalZona System.

Speaking of radios ..... who here has their amateur radio license? I do not but have been studying for the technician test. So for now just been using Baofengs on the FRS channels.

I do...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What else can CA do that is fucked up, here's another:

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

https://offgridsurvival.com/california-officials-declare-ham-radio-no-longer-a-benefit/

Lets see.......
1) Pushing legislation to strip 2nd amendment rights - CHECK
2) Promoting reliance on government for needs - CHECK
3) Policies resulting in overtaxation and redistribution of wealth - CHECK
4) Taking away uncontrolled methods of mass communication - CHECK

This seems to be going in a great direction........

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lets see.......
1) Pushing legislation to strip 2nd amendment rights - CHECK
2) Promoting reliance on government for needs - CHECK
3) Policies resulting in overtaxation and redistribution of wealth - CHECK
4) Taking away uncontrolled methods of mass communication - CHECK

This seems to be going in a great direction........

The weather is great though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is something I need to learn a whole lot more about..

I had pci in my last car but always had range problems. Found out right before I sold the car it was likely a ground issue.. lol. Even then though it didn’t work as well as my friends with the same setup.

This time around I just called Phil hatch and said handle it. He has a biz that sells and installs radios etc.

We did the five person intercom with car to car etc.

Phil Hatch +1 (928) 486-8328 / Winners Circle radios.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This is something I need to learn a whole lot more about..

I had pci in my last car but always had range problems. Found out right before I sold the car it was likely a ground issue.. lol. Even then though it didn’t work as well as my friends with the same setup.

This time around I just called Phil hatch and said handle it. He has a biz that sells and installs radios etc.

We did the five person intercom with car to car etc.

Phil Hatch +1 (928) 486-8328 / Winners Circle radios.
I can tell you from experience that install is EVERYTHING with the radios. My buddy had a top notch PCI setup with 4 person coms / etc, but he installed it himself in his RZR and it worked like crap. Horrible sound, bad range. We un-installed the whole rats nest and cleaned it up with proper ground and a few other changes, and it fixed it up. His biggest problem was that he had 12V+ power supply running next to the PTT wires, and that was destroying the sound quality believe it or not.

wallnutz

Reaction score
PCI all the way. If you install it yourself ask questions. The power wires should be run seperate and do not wrap the antenna wire in a loop. Also the ground plane antenna should have 14"or more open area for it to have optimal range.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
PCI all the way. If you install it yourself ask questions. The power wires should be run seperate and do not wrap the antenna wire in a loop. Also the ground plane antenna should have 14"or more open area for it to have optimal range.

What would you do with the excess wire other than rub it in a loop?

D19

Reaction score
I heard they're getting in trouble with the FCC because a bunch of idiots are chatting on emergency frequencies. It gets a little annoying in the dunes when guys are having full on conversations over the radio. No one cares what kind of sandwich you're going to make when you get back to camp.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What would you do with the excess wire other than rub it in a loop?

You have to weasel it around in an S, take a longer route under the car, etc. You just can't cross the cable over itself.

Or you simply cut it at the perfect length you want and re terminate it. A pro installer would probably just do that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You have to weasel it around in an S, take a longer route under the car. You just can't cross the cable over itself.

Or you simply cut it at the perfect length you want and re terminate it. A pro installer would probably just do that.

If you cut it don’t you have to get the resistance correct again?

wallnutz

Reaction score
I heard they're getting in trouble with the FCC because a bunch of idiots are chatting on emergency frequencies. It gets a little annoying in the dunes when guys are having full on conversations over the radio. No one cares what kind of sandwich you're going to make when you get back to camp.
I flippin hate that shit. We had our own frequency made, but it is just a race teams frequency that is seldom used. Sometimes when we ride with another group we have to get on a party line and listen to all the BS.

Reactions: D19

wallnutz

Reaction score
If you cut it don’t you have to get the resistance correct again?
It’s easier to just loosely wind it is large s’ behind panels or seats. You can order them to length also.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I flippin hate that shit. We had our own frequency made, but it is just a race teams frequency that is seldom used. Sometimes when we ride with another group we have to get on a party line and listen to all the BS.

Yea I want to add in a couple non popular frequencies to my programs and do the same for the close peeps I run with often for this reason.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We were on a ride any my buddies wife (riding shotgun) was drunk, talking shit and being loud over the radio. Another group chimed in complaining about all the chatter, and she replied "F you!". After a few moment of silence, a guy from the other group comes on (clear as a fighter pilot) - "well, i'd love to honey....but all you'd do is lie there". :D

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Not the coax for an NMO/NGP style antenna for these race radios.

The physical antenna length is tuned to your desired frequency range.

I always want the shortest run of cable followed up with a session on the SWR meter. But you have to buy the right type of antennas. Properly tuned antenna beats wattage every time.