WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions for desert pyros

Wbinder

Reaction score
What’s some of your favorite things to do around the desert campfire? Drop mortars in the camp fire, glass bottle flame throwers, giant stack of Christmas trees? 5lbs of tannerite to a propane tank? What cha got?

Attachments

• 704CF55F-04F5-4B90-82C6-4EF6CB452148.jpeg
    704CF55F-04F5-4B90-82C6-4EF6CB452148.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 60
  • E699E54E-7FEF-4206-AF15-EDC3E37058D5.jpeg
    E699E54E-7FEF-4206-AF15-EDC3E37058D5.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 59

grumpy88

Reaction score
Sobe bombs were awesome when they still had the glass bottles.
Until there not . We had a kid hit with a bottle that exploded and luckily it only got him in the hand . He needed a ton of stitches to close it up . I agree though there cool when it goes right .

77charger

Reaction score
I’ll say this many bitch about glass but then say sobe bombs don’t be a hypocrite broken glass is ghetto in camp. You don’t pick it up your a pile of shit too just like any corona bottle drinker who leaves their Empty’s.

As for fire fun maybe a few firecrackers but enjoy the flames.

welldigger00

Reaction score
i can’t remember all that well that far back, but I remember we had these fuel cells for a cordless hair curler or something like that. They were the size of a double d battery if my memory serves me. We’d take a shovel of coals, and walk out into the dunes behind camp, and set the fuel cell on the ground, and lay the coals on top. After a few minutes it would pop those coals into the air in a bitchen shower of coals. Of corse, I could have been on shrooms too back then and imagined all of it.

4Waters

Reaction score
i can’t remember all that well that far back, but I remember we had these fuel cells for a cordless hair curler or something like that. They were the size of a double d battery if my memory serves me. We’d take a shovel of coals, and walk out into the dunes behind camp, and set the fuel cell on the ground, and lay the coals on top. After a few minutes it would pop those coals into the air in a bitchen shower of coals. Of corse, I could have been on shrooms too back then and imagined all of it.
These

s-l400.jpg

Butane refills

rrrr

Reaction score

That's fuggin' hilarious.

I've made posts on RDP about the adventures of my younger days, some with the acknowledgement "But I may have been stoned at the time."

🤣

Javajoe

Reaction score
Just don’t blow your hand off 🫣
That was bruuuutal 🤢

Reactions: DUN

pixrthis

Reaction score
3DD4987E-3D64-4379-8A09-5FB55458A734.jpeg
We had a little mess at work a couple months ago when one of the 30 gallon barrels of fuel didn’t explode with the others.

Dunerking

Reaction score
I’ve got nothing to prove. We put the kids to bed, sit by the fire, listen to music, drink, and enjoy. At 39 I’m old for that $hit. I might bust out a sparkler if I’m feeling wild 😜
X2…just throw the chunks of wood on and shovel coals under the ladies chairs when needed. No need for all of the BS clean up for the extra pyrotechnics.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
Cross stacked 2x4's really tall with a fire under it makes a nice magic candle.

Mushrooms on your pizza make the light even brighter, I've been told😉😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
X-mas trees are always a hit on new years.

My BIL works for the studios, and he has a pyrotechnics guy come with on a few trips.

Primer cord is the shit!!! 💥

707dog

Reaction score
we stick to smores or banana boats... i worked with a X-military pyro guy he started making his own fire works and gave me a few "m-80's" for new years. fast forward to new years eve at camp far west quite a few people hanging out in our camp around the fire so i decided i would living up the party and toss one in to the fire pit... well it was a lot more than a m80 it pretty much emptied the fire pit of burn wood and it rained ashes every where people took off running it burning up seats and coats we all laughed about it but fk it was more like a m1000. if im not mistaken @napanutt was there or in his RV at the time

srttruck

Reaction score
Until there not . We had a kid hit with a bottle that exploded and luckily it only got him in the hand . He needed a ton of stitches to close it up . I agree though there cool when it goes right .
Agree that's a bad experience, however the reason it exploded vs. Throwing a flame out the cap was that the cap was tighten too much. Those things always had to have the cap slightly loose on the seal.

endobear

Reaction score
Camped with a dude 1x that thought it was funny to toss bullets in the fire.

77charger

Reaction score
Thing about bullets is they don’t launch like they would out of a gun like most think. The case explodes and the bullet might end up a few inches away. Now out that bullet in a tight tube then maybe different but just alone no danger. And yes I’ve dropped a 300 win mag in fire before just a waste of 1.00 brass.

JM21

Reaction score
Your not serious? He would have lasted 1 bullet camping with me. That’s fucking Russian roulette

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…Back in the rock ‘n’ roll days of the 60s… Some of the musician friends along with a Litton industries executive rented a house in Van Nuys… We named it green Busch Gardens cause it was on Greenbush Street…
… well there were several of us in the living room with a few people in the kitchen when said electronics executive decided to come out and throw 22 caliber bullets into the fireplace… I dove over and hid behind the couch… Said executive a former marine ran back to his bedroom and yelled out those are bullets in the fireplace… I’m not sure but I think that was a magic mushroom night???… and to this day I don’t know whether they were real bullets or firecrackers???…

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We always stuck our x mas trees full of fireworks and 10 gallons of gas later kaboom

So be bombs were child’s plays. You really need to do a vodka bottle (metal cap)

Vw blocks

Not really fire related, but we’ll after the kids were asleep we would all ride in camp on all the kids toys (rzr 170 without the roof, 50’s 70’s ect) looked like Mario kart

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
we stick to smores or banana boats... i worked with a X-military pyro guy he started making his own fire works and gave me a few "m-80's" for new years. fast forward to new years eve at camp far west quite a few people hanging out in our camp around the fire so i decided i would living up the party and toss one in to the fire pit... well it was a lot more than a m80 it pretty much emptied the fire pit of burn wood and it rained ashes every where people took off running it burning up seats and coats we all laughed about it but fk it was more like a m1000. if im not mistaken @napanutt was there or in his RV at the time
I vaguely remember. Sounds familiar so I asked the wife. Yea, she remembers. She said it burnt holes in the coat she was wearing. 😁

NicPaus

Reaction score
Never forget the large wine bottle mickey bomb we were waiting for it to explode. But our friends motor home exploded in the meantime. Propane leak. Blew them right out the motor home. Good times in Glamis.

endobear

Reaction score
Thing about bullets is they don’t launch like they would out of a gun like most think. The case explodes and the bullet might end up a few inches away. Now out that bullet in a tight tube then maybe different but just alone no danger. And yes I’ve dropped a 300 win mag in fire before just a waste of 1.00 brass.
That's what he said but I wasn't sticking around to find out.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I got in trouble for throwing fireworks into the camp fire.

I think if I do it again I will get kicked out of the family.

4Waters

Reaction score
They will fly across a driveway but that's about it, went to a structure fire where ammo was going off, got hit by a few but didn't hurt, felt like someone was flicking me

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
VW blocks and transaxle cases!! With pallets from the back of the local grocery store🤫

Ahh Boxcar in the '90s was great!!

And dont toss rocks straight out of the river into a bed if coals😳

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Swing buy a woodshop and grab a few trashbags of sawdust...throw shovel fulls at the fire and it goes up and sparkles pretty good. The kids get a kick of out it at least. I used to take old copper pipe scrap and turn it into dust on the wheel of death (16" 3hp disc grinder) and mix some of that in with the sawdust...makes green sparkles

.....or oxy acetylene bombs, but that's on a bit different level.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The sobe bombs might look cool but i feel anyone that does them is pretty moronic. I’ve witnessed in one event a woman have a piece of glass land on her breast popping her fake breast, as well a child getting a piece on his face causing permanent scarring.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
The sobe bombs might look cool but i feel anyone that does them is pretty moronic. I’ve witnessed in one event a woman have a piece of glass land on her breast popping her fake breast, as well a child getting a piece on his face causing permanent scarring.

Glass has no business in a campfire.

rrrr

Reaction score
.....or oxy acetylene bombs, but that's on a bit different level.

Ohhhh, this triggered a memory. My best friend's parents were out of town. His dad had an oxyacetylene rig in the garage. Around midnight one Saturday, we decided to fill a large trash bag with the mixed gases by setting up the torch with a nice blue flame, turning off the bottles so the torch went out, then placing the tip in the bag and turning on the bottles again.

I had opened up the bag first by swinging it through the air like one does when putting a new bag in the trash can. We filled the bag until it was nice and plump, then put it in the backseat of his mom's new Oldsmobile Delta 88 coupe and headed for the park. When we got there, we set it on top of some crumpled newspaper, lit the paper, and ran.

The explosion was epic. It echoed nicely. Porch lights clicked on, and we hauled ass. Back to the house to make another one, of course.

But this time we left the bag folded when filling it, so it expanded unevenly. When it was over half filled, my bud leaned over it to kinda flump it up a bit. That apparently triggered a static electricity spark, and the bag blew up. Ohh fuck, my ears were ringing and the air was filled with a dusty fog. There was an open bag of Portland cement on the floor right under where the bag was, and that shit went everywhere.

His dad was a retired Air Force Colonel, and ran a penny gumball machine deal out of the garage. There were dozens of those glass ball vending units and huge quantities of boxed gumballs on the floor and on shelves. The cement dust had covered everything in the garage. It took us hours to clean up the mess.

While doing that we speculated on what would have happened if the first bag had blown up in his mom's car. We both agreed the Colonel would have killed us if the explosion hadn't. My ears quit ringing after a couple of days, it was a week for my fellow idiot.

And yeah, we may have been stoned at the time.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Not a big desert/offroad/camping guys... at least yet.

But I saw a video of a solid "bomb" setup from some guys in Parker.

Put a milk jug of gas, a pound-ish of tannerite, and a flare all semi close together.

You shoot the tannerite, which causes the milk jug to explode, and the flare lights all of the gas.

It looked pretty awesome on video.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Ohhhh, this triggered a memory. My best friend's parents were out of town. His dad had an oxyacetylene rig in the garage. Around midnight one Saturday, we decided to fill a large trash bag with the mixed gases by setting up the torch with a nice blue flame, turning off the bottles so the torch went out, then placing the tip in the bag and turning on the bottles again.

I had opened up the bag first by swinging it through the air like one does when putting a new bag in the trash can. We filled the bag until it was nice and plump, then put it in the backseat of his mom's new Oldsmobile Delta 88 coupe and headed for the park. When we got there, we set it on top of some crumpled newspaper, lit the paper, and ran.

The explosion was epic. It echoed nicely. Porch lights clicked on, and we hauled ass. Back to the house to make another one, of course.

But this time we left the bag folded when filling it, so it expanded unevenly. When it was over half filled, my bud leaned over it to kinda flump it up a bit. That apparently triggered a static electricity spark, and the bag blew up. Ohh fuck, my ears were ringing and the air was filled with a dusty fog. There was an open bag of Portland cement on the floor right under where the bag was, and that shit went everywhere.

His dad was a retired Air Force Colonel, and ran a penny gumball machine deal out of the garage. There were dozens of those glass ball vending units and huge quantities of boxed gumballs on the floor and on shelves. The cement dust had covered everything in the garage. It took us hours to clean up the mess.

While doing that we speculated on what would have happened if the first bag had blown up in his mom's car. We both agreed the Colonel would have killed us if the explosion hadn't. My ears quit ringing after a couple of days, it was a week for my fellow idiot.

And yeah, we may have been stoned at the time.
I used to buy a bunch of the cheapest smallest things they had at the fireworks stands and take the fuses out of 'em to use in my oxy ace bombs. Usually I'd do the small water bottles....stick a hole in it with a pocket screwdriver, get a nice tight blue flame on the torch and tap it out, then shove the torch tip through the hole until I could smell it, stick the fuse in and put a piece of tape over it, light it and throw it out in the yard. Was always pretty entertaining. One time the fuse went out before it hit the ground...so I went over after a bit and grabbed it, saw about an inch of good fuse remaining...so lit and again and thre...BANG! Fuck, that hurt....went off in my hand. I ran back into the garage and looked down wondering if I still had a hand...and surprisingly, I did. A few cuts and stuff, but mostly intact and functional. We were done for the night.

About a year later I noticed every time I grabbed something a certain way I felt a weird pain in my hand....and a few months later, noticed a little bump...so I started fucking with it one day trying to pop it like a zit and sure as shit...a piece of clear plastic water bottle shrapnel emerges. Hand feels fine after that.

And yes, I learned my lesson. Now I throw the bottle first, then have one of those plumbing torches with the 6 foot hose and a pipe taped along the length so I can be a safe distance away before lighting it. We started small again on the next 4th of July...and then the neighbors thought they were cool with whatever they were lighting off, so I grabbed that old 5 gallon scepter can that had cracked a couple years ago outta the junk pile and put some tape over the crack....wired a few fuses together and filled that bitch up. Got the women and children to safety and ran in the garage as soon as the fuse lit....holy shit. Left a 4 foot deep hole in the yard, we found pieces of that gas can in the street the next day (lit it in the back yard) and on the roof and everywhere....and the fucking neighbors quieted down and went inside.

rrrr

Reaction score
I used to buy a bunch of the cheapest smallest things they had at the fireworks stands and take the fuses out of 'em to use in my oxy ace bombs. Usually I'd do the small water bottles....stick a hole in it with a pocket screwdriver, get a nice tight blue flame on the torch and tap it out, then shove the torch tip through the hole until I could smell it, stick the fuse in and put a piece of tape over it, light it and throw it out in the yard. Was always pretty entertaining. One time the fuse went out before it hit the ground...so I went over after a bit and grabbed it, saw about an inch of good fuse remaining...so lit and again and thre...BANG! Fuck, that hurt....went off in my hand. I ran back into the garage and looked down wondering if I still had a hand...and surprisingly, I did. A few cuts and stuff, but mostly intact and functional. We were done for the night.

About a year later I noticed every time I grabbed something a certain way I felt a weird pain in my hand....and a few months later, noticed a little bump...so I started fucking with it one day trying to pop it like a zit and sure as shit...a piece of clear plastic water bottle shrapnel emerges. Hand feels fine after that.

And yes, I learned my lesson. Now I throw the bottle first, then have one of those plumbing torches with the 6 foot hose and a pipe taped along the length so I can be a safe distance away before lighting it. We started small again on the next 4th of July...and then the neighbors thought they were cool with whatever they were lighting off, so I grabbed that old 5 gallon scepter can that had cracked a couple years ago outta the junk pile and put some tape over the crack....wired a few fuses together and filled that bitch up. Got the women and children to safety and ran in the garage as soon as the fuse lit....holy shit. Left a 4 foot deep hole in the yard, we found pieces of that gas can in the street the next day (lit it in the back yard) and on the roof and everywhere....and the fucking neighbors quieted down and went inside.

As the current saying goes, fuck around and find out!

😂

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Sobe bombs and mag blocks, nothing too crazy. I'm no expert.

69hondo

Reaction score
Oh man back im the early 2000s we used to do so many glamis and desert trips. I had two buddies with early age 20s money and they would up eachother with the fire bullshit. At the time it was funny and fun but so fucking dumb. Man we were idiots. We did the Sobe bombs until on blew up. Then these two would just drink and up eachother. We were out there and one of them put is 7 gallon fast fill gas can full with 110 in it on the fire, That was a rager. Melter the side of one of there rvs and anything plastic that was within 20ft of the fire. Another time the other guy tossed a small full propane bottle in. The fire was so hot the relief valve didnt blow off and the can instantly started expanding. We all ran and it blew. Sounded like a bomb. Blew the fire completely out and left a small crater. everyones chairs were ruined from flying embers and debree awnings that were open got fucked up. The propane can slammed into the side of the RV for the guy that threw it in and put a whole in it. Lucky nobody died. He paid for everyone's damage. That finally ended the bullshit and we never camped with those two again. It was so loud were were in the washes and after that you could here a pin drop out there. it made every camp within two washes go silent.

Englewood

Reaction score
I was 18 at Glamis and I threw a small fix-a-flat in the fire. Nothing happened, “that was a dud”. 30 mins later I’m walking past the fire and wham! The damn bottle shot out of the fire and hit me in the upper arm. Still have a scar.

Damn Karma.