WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the inmates, weird assignment

Backlash

Reaction score
No props? Pass

Hard pass
RD,

It should be a "Hard pass" regardless if there are props or not. The ONLY things that should be discussed in a school setting is the loss of lives, the way each these horrific incidents have ruined families lives and ways to avoid repeating the past.

Anything more than that, such as a "Theatrical reenactment," is completely unacceptable.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
What district / school? I may have a solid connection.

Pm is ok if discretion is preferred

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I would not be OK with this and the multiple reasons posted in this thread. If she was inclined to suggest an alternative to the teacher, Reinact the last 15 minutes of the Titanic.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I would want to see the script they are working off and what small part.of the script they are acting. From what I've read about the play it deals with the psychological lead up to the shootings and then the aftermath, not the event itself.

In other words, the play deals with the cause of the event instead of focusing on the tools, which I think might be worth some consideration.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
"school drama assignment, Columbine shooting without props."

AI is against it:

I apologize, but I cannot recommend ways to reenact or dramatize the Columbine shooting, even without props. Recreating such a traumatic event, especially in a school setting, could be extremely upsetting and potentially traumatizing for students and staff. It's generally not appropriate to simulate acts of violence or mass shootings as school assignments.Instead, I would suggest exploring the impacts and lessons of Columbine through less graphic means, such as:
  • Researching and presenting on school safety improvements made since Columbine
  • Discussing the importance of mental health support and bullying prevention in schools
  • Analyzing media coverage and public response to school shootings
  • Exploring themes of community healing and resilience after tragedy
If the goal is to learn about this historical event, there are many thoughtful ways to do so that don't involve reenactment. I'd encourage speaking with teachers and school administrators to develop an alternative assignment that achieves the educational objectives while being sensitive to the serious nature of the subject matter.

4Waters

Reaction score
I would want to see the script they are working off and what small part.of the script they are acting. From what I've read about the play it deals with the psychological lead up to the shootings and then the aftermath, not the event itself.

In other words, the play deals with the cause of the event instead of focusing on the tools, which I think might be worth some consideration.
They are doing from the 911 call stopping at the aftermath, here is the script they are using

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I’m against such a class assignment.

In Knoxville this week, there have been I think now 18 students arrested for social media threats against Knox County schools, Middle and High schools, many different schools.

We kept our kid away from school on Tuesday, this all began happening Monday, attendance is way down since Tuesday. Kids will be charged and they say if found guilty 1 year minimum suspension.

I don’t think this subject is anything to play with. If you want to teach it with the facts, so be it, but putting the interpretation into the hands of children is irresponsible to me.

I would be pissed, and if they tried that assignment here, now, after this week there would be a giant uproar. Kids, parents and I’m sure teachers here are on edge.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My daughter is a senior and to graduate she has to take a practical art so she signed up for theater. She just got assigned a group project of reenacting the Columbine shooting without props.

Wife is against it, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's odd because most of the victims were seniors amongst other reasons.

Daughter felt weird when they were reading the script but is ok with it because she needs the grade.

What do you guys think?
Thats some wacky left wing teacher shit right there.......HARD PASS

I'd complain to the school, your kid shouldn't be in a position like that

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
School Marm votes no.

Alternate assignment requested. (Parent needs to request it)

What is the lesson objective? Every lesson has an objective of what the instructor wants the student to learn or be able to do from the assignment. I'd like to know what that is. Can that be achieved with a different assignment. Is the objective to make students aware that evil exists in the world? Seriously, WTF? You know damned good an well it's 100% about gun violence. This is no different than pulling your child when they are showing a movie that you don't feel comfortable with. I often gave alternative assignments, well, not very often, but it happened from time to time. Yes, I was a little irritated, because I felt the lesson was valuable, but I did it. Not an issue.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are doing from the 911 call stopping at the aftermath, here is the script they are using

1000039835.jpg

1000039836.jpg

1000039838.jpg

That website suuuucks with all the ads (I didn't want to sign up).

These are just a few screenshots starting with the last part of the 911 call.

Super disturbing, in my opinion. 100% inappropriate. It was upsetting to read, I can't even imagine acting it out. Wow.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
They get 4 chairs, no other props, no makeup, no costumes.... that's all I know right now

Yes in California, crazy right

She a 4.3 student trying to get into Baylor

So they are reinacting the shooting. Does one of the students get to crawl under the desk and start praying? ;)

I'd be extremely concerned about that and the fact that it's guaranteed more than one video will be made of the performance.

In today's digital world, that could be twisted and misconstrued later to the detriment of your daughter.

This is a VERY good point.

"school drama assignment, Columbine shooting without props."

AI is against it:

If the goal is to learn about this historical event, there are many thoughtful ways to do so that don't involve reenactment. I'd encourage speaking with teachers and school administrators to develop an alternative assignment that achieves the educational objectives while being sensitive to the serious nature of the subject matter.
See. The AI gods agree with me :)

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
My daughter is a senior and to graduate she has to take a practical art so she signed up for theater. She just got assigned a group project of reenacting the Columbine shooting without props.

Wife is against it, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's odd because most of the victims were seniors amongst other reasons.

Daughter felt weird when they were reading the script but is ok with it because she needs the grade.

What do you guys think?

Whoaaaa. Absolutely the fuck not!

An assignment to write a report or opinion or analysis..? Ok fine. But I’d be a Karen all the way to the superintendent about reenacting it.

We have to watch most of the CC video from inside the school as part of our recurring active shooter training, and my kids would absolutely not be participating in that school assignment. Fuck that.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Are the kids given alternative options for the assignment? I would ask for an alternative choice nicely and explain that another topic would offer the same opportunity to perform the assignment without causing emotional discomfort. How were students assigned the various topics?

I'm been known to make the wrong choice in these types of situations. I would likely negatively effect my Baylor chances as a student and make noise about the assignment.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Of ALL the subjects / topics a teacher could have picked . . . this????
Tells you everything you need to know about the teacher.

I don't have kids . . . but if I did, my child would never step foot in that classroom again once that was assigned, nope, negative, huh-uh, buh-bye, c-ya, pass, next.

For the last several years I've been trying to give teachers the benefit of the doubt (trying to have faith) . . . . 3 different neighbors who i'm close with are teachers.
ALL 3 have NOTHING good to say about what is going on in the school system. I mean NOTHING.
The last time we were talking, 'Jon' said to me , 'Why do you think the fireman at the end of the street has had all 3 of his 3 kids in private school sine day 1"???.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Remember this was picked by a college professor not the HS teacher.

This is the response to our email to the principal.

View attachment 1428276
Wow, seems like the teacher might actually catch some shit over this. That seems like he's about as pissed off as he could be in his response and remain professional. Hopefully he's serious.

4Waters

Reaction score
Wow, seems like the teacher might actually catch some shit over this. That seems like he's about as pissed off as he could be in his response and remain professional. Hopefully he's serious.
We just had a senior die in a car accident a few weeks back

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It should be a "Hard pass" regardless if there are props or not. The ONLY things that should be discussed in a school setting is the loss of lives, the way each these horrific incidents have ruined families lives and ways to avoid repeating the past.

Anything more than that, such as a "Theatrical reenactment," is completely unacceptable.
Exactly how I feel about this.

I would request a meeting to understand the context clearly from the teacher immediately.

Not appropriate in any other context other than what you wrote. Other than that I am blasting this all over the net to stop it in its tracks and recruiting others for assistance in doing so and to hold people accountable.

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I don't have kids of my own and the more I read about shit like this makes me glad I don't.
My thoughts and feelings after reading this are overwhelming,
there is something seriously wrong with anyone who is ok with this.

4Waters

Reaction score
To make things worse (in my eyes) this is for a competition that is taking place next month, there will be approx 100 other HS's there. This is definitely not a competition subject.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
No way. I'd have to have a discussion with teacher, principal, district. Any/all if necessary. I let a lot of stuff slide, but not this. I can't imagine what context would make it appropriate to have a reenactment with high school students for a class. And a competition? I'm really at a loss of words here!

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Having looked over the script I can say that there is no value in this regarding any form of art.
The purpose of this is two fold.
1. The shock value.
2. A subliminal message about revenge that suggests that the victims have some responsibility for the event.

This is nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at suggesting that the shooters were also victims and not wholly responsible for their actions.

4Waters

Reaction score
I posted this because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overreacting, maybe someone here's kid did the play and it was tasteful and well done.... turns out that I wasn't overreacting and it appears nobody has had a kid do this play.

Thank you everyone, I will update when more information comes but my daughter will definitely not be doing this act

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and she suggested going straight to the district with a complaint.
This!

@4Waters send a copy of the script with complaint to district, ask to remain anonymous in the complaint.
No matter the outcome, I would ask to have your daughter's class switched to another elective and get away from that teacher ASAP.
The wierdness probably doesn't stop there....who would think this is OK is beyond me.

4Waters

Reaction score
This!

@4Waters send a copy of the script with complaint to district, ask to remain anonymous in the complaint.
No matter the outcome, I would ask to have your daughter's class switched to another elective and get away from that teacher ASAP.
The wierdness probably doesn't stop there....who would think this is OK is beyond me.
Principle already knows and at least 1 other parent has complained now as well. The email to the principal was calm and statement of facts to advise him of our concerns, it appears he is concerned as well and I'm pretty sure there will be a different script now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Remember this was picked by a college professor not the HS teacher.

This is the response to our email to the principal.

View attachment 1428276
That is kind of the response I was expecting you would get knowing the school.

Is the college professor from Morepark College? The same school that employed the pro-Palestinian Professor that killed a protestor in TO less than a year ago.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Principle already knows and at least 1 other parent has complained now as well. The email to the principal was calm and statement of facts to advise him of our concerns, it appears he is concerned as well and I'm pretty sure there will be a different script now.
I'd definitely insist that the assisting professor be asked to no longer assist with the project.

4Waters

Reaction score
That is kind of the response I was expecting you would get knowing the school.

Is the college professor from Morepark College? The same school that employed the pro-Palestinian Professor that killed a protestor in TO less than a year ago.
No, Cal Lutheran

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No, Cal Lutheran
Huh... Kinda surprising. They are at least a little more right leaning there since they are a religious school. Hopefully the principal revokes the professor's access to the campus after that one.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Name of:
School
Teacher
Principal
So
A few may be inclined to call.
This.

I'll send this shit straight to Libs Of TikTok.

The whole country will know about the weird shit they try to pull.

Looking back on some shit that happened in class in college, I realized I was pressured into uncomfortable and inappropriate class room discussions. I was confident enough that I really didn't care but it just wasn't a useful learning exercise. It was just professors' assistants being weirdos.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To make things worse (in my eyes) this is for a competition that is taking place next month, there will be approx 100 other HS's there. This is definitely not a competition subject.

It's likely why the teacher chose such an inappropriate subject.. For the shock value to set it apart from the other schools?

Either way it's a horrible idea across the board.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
But there's other teachers out there that have made some questionable decisions as far was theatrics.. (As inappropriate as this is, the kids actually nailed the shit out of it).

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
But there's other teachers out there that have made some questionable decisions as far was theatrics.. (As inappropriate as this is, the kids actually nailed the shit out of it).

Video was posted 14 years ago, but still? I’m at a loss for words and the parents practically gave it a standing ovation.🙁