WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question about batteries

Aaron

Reaction score
Looks like I am going to have to replace the batteries in my boat. I had Interstate and have been looking to replace with the same batteries but have not been able to find a local dealer with them in stock. I would like to make it out to the river this weekend so I was going to go with some SAMs club specials. I believe they are Energizer deep cycle marine batteries. The guy at SAMs is telling me they are made by interstate but that doesn't sound right. I purchase my 6 volts from them for my camping trailer and they seem fine.
Does anyone have any experience with these batteries in a boat.
Thanks in advance for any feedback

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Stick with anybody's battery's made by Johnson controls.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
After having gone through just about every type and brand of battery like optimas and interstate etc.. I have gone back to plain old lead acid batteries and YES I currently have 2 of those energizers deep cycles from Sams club. They are going on two years now out here full time in Arizona. Heat kills batteries, period, regardless of the brand. I remove mine from the boat and maintain them on chargers in my 80 degree cooled shop... I think those interstate batteries are very good also...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I have had better luck with Interstate batteries than with Optimas lately.

Aaron

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I always appreciate the opinions and knowledge I get from this forum. Haven't been able to help contribute as much as I would like but I will as I get more experience.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I only buy interstate. Have had nothing but good luck with them for years. :)

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Havasu has an interstate dealer. Pick some up next your out there. Where are u located now?

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Had 2 Odyssey 27's in my last boat... average size stereo (1,500 watts) simply killed them. Had the same experience with Interstate... turned out, it was user error... Boated in Parker, so was not on the go enough to charge them. Bar hopping and sandbar / rockbar sitting with an occasional dam run. Stored the boat inside at Parker. Between the heat and misuse, poor things never had a chance.

Trying some new batteries this summer. Mastervolt. Know absolutely nothing about them. Saw them at West Marine and picked up 2 group 24s.

Time will tell :)

oldschool

Reaction score
I've had good luck with batteries from Costco and Walmart.

charlyox

Reaction score
I run the SAMS club batteries. I live at the river and got three years out of them. I just bought new ones again.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't know who makes them, but I've had very good luck with Centennial. I know Barrett's and Prestige carry them. One is going six years and the other five, the one went bad when I left the switch on for about 10 weeks.:D

TBulger

Reaction score
Try these, come with a warranty too, Stinger SPP1700. Highly recommended by DCB. :)

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

This and Walmarts are better because there is always a Walmart around to take them back to. My Walmart group 27's are 6 years old now and going strong. Had one in my blazer that stays outside in Havasu and it lasted 9 years.

prosthogod

Reaction score
I have 4 oddessys, 2 for engines, 2 for the house. They have all lasted 8 yrs and just replaced them Very expensive but have a 5 yr no questions asked warranty. I use a 4 bank tender/charger when boat is stored.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yup, both my boat batteries from Walmart. I just replaced the 6+ yr old one 2 weeks ago. Everlast by Johnson controls:thumbup:
Batteries sit in the hot garage all year, and often sit all winter too with little attention.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
There's an Interstate dealer in town, I believe it's off Acoma north of the 95.

Aaron

Reaction score
We live in Eastvale but have a house in needles. I bought the SAMs batteries today becaus elf last minute but the guy told me I can return them so maybe I will swing by the interstate dealer in town this weekend.
Thanks for all the responses

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We live in Eastvale but have a house in needles. I bought the SAMs batteries today becaus elf last minute but the guy told me I can return them so maybe I will swing by the interstate dealer in town this weekend.
Thanks for all the responses

I'd keep them. Interstate Batteries are ok, but I wouldn't buy from the guy in Havasu, not very good on customer service and warranty.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

This :thumbsup
Costco now sells Kirkland by Interstate.....they've always been the same battery made by Johnson Controls.......about a year ago they went to using the Interstate brand as part of their in-house brand.

Returns on batteries at Costco is just as easy as returning anything else.......the only batteries I buy when they have my size :thumbsup:thumbsup

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I've always had good luck with the diehard platinums, they are made by the same people who make odysseys... Enersys I believe is the parent co.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Depending on parent co, yes. There are a lot of rebadged batteries out there. Best thing to do is find the best price for the type you are looking for, research that battery for specs and who the parent co is (Johnson controls, enersys, etc). Because often you will pay a lot more for a brand name in store

alohajeff

Reaction score
With some batteries you still get what you pay for and most of that $$$ is lead.

A quick test to help decide which battery might be "better" is to check the weight. Assuming it is not an AGM battery, your standard lead plate battery will generally perform better if it has more lead in it. So if you have 2 batteries with the same dimensions, and one weighs more than the other, the heavier of the two should be the better battery. Lead ain't cheap these days so manufacturers will skimp on the lead to lower costs. It isn't the end all be all test but it can help.

Trojan makes a great product that I have run in various vehicles including the motorhome with great results. I tried the Optima Yellow tops in my boat (still in there) and they weren't worth the expense.

Aloha

Aaron

Reaction score
Well like a dumb ass I bought the wrong size. When I went to SAMS they advised on a higher cranking amp which I figured couldn't be a bad thing but the size did not fit in the compartments I have in the oat. I think I a, going to try the Costco brand as they are made by Johnson controls. After reading up it makes sense. Interstate and the Kirkland seem to be the same battery just rebadged with the interstate brand.
Thanks for all the advice guys

tkrrox

Reaction score
what group are you guys doing? i have 24s in my boat now and thinking about going to 27s but wondering if worth buying the trays too.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have 3 blue top odysseys that are going on 6 years old. I do keep them on a guest auto charge though