WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quality travel trailers...what brands?

kevin1988

Reaction score
Have an entry level trailer and the quality just isn't there. Looked at a couple Lance and Rockwood MiniLite models that are way better quality wise.

What other brands should I look at?

Looking to stay under 28 foot for storage. We go out 2-3x a month so willing to pay for better.

84miller

Reaction score
Outside of Airstream, out of all of the trailers I looked at is Milan is well made. You will have a hard time finding one. I purchased a RiversideRV, made out of Ohio which is built pretty well. What I liked about it is all the interior is wood veneer, making it retro old school. Plus, no surprises when opening the door after being on the road, such as the fabricated glued on fluff that has fallen off. I would have bought a Milan if I could have found one. Note Milan from what I know does not have any slides, my RiversideRV does not either. Good luck.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I have never owned a higher end RV so no real input. I know that a friend bought a $135k Grand Designs 5th wheel and it was in the shop just as much as my $55k Keystone 5th wheel. I think “IF" I ever get another RV, I’d buy a year or two old one, hoping a lot of the little issues have been corrected. The only real item I’d been looking for would be that it was paint, with no decals and a floor plan that worked for us. I’d then remodel, or have it remodeled, with the quality finishings and appliances I desired. I have said in the past that they are all junk, but really believe they are just maintenance/repair headaches. Just the nature of the beast!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So far my Vortex has been pretty good. Yes, I have had lose water fittings, and drain fittings, but nothing that didn't take me longer than 10-15 min to fix. Of course it sucks working on something new but wouldn't want to deal with the dealer fixing it and waiting 6 weeks to get it done.

The longest thing that took to fix was when a my 12v system when crazy. Took 1.5 days to figure it was a $3 diode volage regulator that went bad.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Heartland makes a good 5th wheel and toyhaulers, I've never seen their trailers.

You can go on Heartland's website and build a trailer.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Heartland makes a good 5th wheel and toyhaulers, I've never seen their trailers.

You can go on Heartland's website and build a trailer.
We drove up Bakersfield to buy a Heartland 5th wheel. Biggest piece of shit I have ever seen. Told the guy he should be ashamed he had it in the lot. I believe it was a Gravity? I really like the torque line they have.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
We drove up Bakersfield to buy a Heartland 5th wheel. Biggest piece of shit I have ever seen. Told the guy he should be ashamed he had it in the lot. I believe it was a Gravity? I really like the torque line they have.
I bought a Bighorn 5th wheel, very nice rig. Gravity is the bottom line of Heartland's toyhaulers.

MR HARLEY

Reaction score
All pretty much junk.

But if I had to pick it would be Grand Design Momentum.

timstoy

Reaction score
If you buy new have the salesman show you everything and make sure everything works properly! Any issues or repairs need to be done before you take delivery of the RV. Once you leave the lot you are basically on your own for repairs unless you wait months and endless excuses why they can’t fix your RV!

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Kevin1988, personally my response for friends asking about RV’s is #1, are you fairly mechanical. Not just you know the difference between + and - screwdrivers or know what fits a metric crescent wrench, are you comfortable digging into electrical, plumbing, lite carpentry etc. #2, if you’re not mechanical, you’re going to be waiting for someone else to “get to” your RV which isn’t pleasant. RV’s are pretty rugged considering you’re essentially bouncing a small house down the road. Some models claim to be the best, some models are way over-priced.
We’ve had one TAG and (2) fifth wheels, all toyhaulers. EVERY ONE has had issues or problems, only one went back to a dealer for repairs, i’d rather use mine than let it sit in the dealers lot for his quick fix. Just as timstoy said if you buy new, try to only land a deal where they’ll repair the problems you find before you take possession. I’ve seen dealers balk about some of the punch-list issues to where they won’t make the deal, or tell you you need to work it out with the manufacturer, don’t do it, I know people that did and were sorry. And, I’ve also seen the dealer come pick the RV up and truck it back when fixed. So that’s #3, research the shit out of the brands, look at their forums if possible and use common sense. All in all, I don’t we’ve been lucky with ours, it’s just more I kept up on them to where they didn’t “own” me 😉 good luck!

Backlash

Reaction score
It's interesting that I stumbled into this thread, so I'll add my .02. I have AMAZING parents and have camped my entire life. Our family camped in tents all over the Southeast U.S. As I grew older, we relocated and continued camping everywhere else west of Nebraska. From Montana to Wyoming to Texas, and British Columbia to Mexico, I've had the fortune to visit a TON of places. My parents moved up into a trailer as our family continued exploring the West. We've had trailers and fifth wheels from a number of manufacturers....Nomad, Fleetwood, etc. They held up throughout our journeys, but we also took really good care of them.

Since getting married, my wife and I bought an old used fifth wheel that we leave at the river. We got a SMOKING deal on it, and couldn't afford not to buy it. It works for us where it is, and that's where it will stay.

Well, my wife has shown an interest in traveling and enjoying our amazing country. We are seriously looking at a smaller Airstream, as that's the only trailer I would consider spending any money on.

Let's see if this works out for us.... To be continued. 😎

farmo83

Reaction score
My brother in law repairs trailers for a living. His rule of thumb is if it's painted its well made, if it's just got a bunch of decals on it it's junk.

TCHB

Reaction score
Airstream is another league compared to the other travel trailers.