WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Principle of outerlimits joe sgro dead???

Tank

Reaction score
I’m
Getting a shot ton of texts that the principle money and offshore racer joe sgro is dead after an accident in the poker run to Key West.

Waiting fir complete details

Tank

Reaction score
Just talk to tom Abraham that pulled him from the water

707dog

Reaction score
:oops: dang hope he pulls thru...hey tank what boat was his??

buck35

Reaction score
Any new news on this????
terrible if true.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
RIP

Latest update from Speed On The Water:

"Story Update: Dr. Michael Janssen, a close friend of Joe Sgro and a longtime Outerlimits customer, reported via telephone at 4:38 p.m. that Srgo has died. During the emergency medical flight from Marathon to Miami, his conditioned worsened. They were forced to land at a closer medical facility and his life could not be saved."

@707dog all 3rd hand info but I believe this was the all white canopied 52 that stole the show at LOTO

77 SLEEK

Reaction score
Any news about what boat is involved ? A friend of mine is there with his Outerlimits GTX Factory Billet boat.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Sorry to say that the speedonthewater artical was updated and confirmed that Joe passed away.

My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Any news about what boat is involved ? A friend of mine is there with his Outerlimits GTX Factory Billet boat.

It was the brand new all white outerlimits, I believe it is a 50SV.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Terrible. My prayers go out to his family and friends.:(

Godspeed Joe.

buck35

Reaction score
Boat ost: 2813591 said:
RIP

"Story Update: Dr. Michael Janssen, a close friend of Joe Sgro and a longtime Outerlimits customer, reported via telephone at 4:38 p.m. that Srgo has died. During the emergency medical flight from Marathon to Miami, his conditioned worsened. They were forced to land at a closer medical facility and his life could not be saved."

@707dog all 3rd hand info but I believe this was the all white canopied 52 that stole the show at LOTO
Damn, thats just horrible. Prayers to all involved.

Enen

Reaction score
Godspeed Mr. Sgro. Hate to hear about things like this happening in the sport we all love.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
awww shit man...thats terrible terrible news.

Heart goes out to family and friends.

UD

cole_skier

Reaction score
Prayers to his family and friends. Gods speed

Tank

Reaction score
Just saw tom. Here he is with my wife kelly. He saw it happen and pulled them out of the water. Very bad deal. I will say I have mixed feeling on joe sgro but I wish no harm to anyone and I hate to see this happen to him and the outerlimits family. He saved outerlimits from going out of business after mike died and it’s tragedy to see this.

God speed

Attachments

• 5C290193-B9AE-4AB4-A391-532120951A07.jpeg
    5C290193-B9AE-4AB4-A391-532120951A07.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 586

wallnutz

Reaction score
This really sucks to hear. Godspeed to you good sir. Prayers to the family and friends that had to witness this and go through with the pain.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So the prior owner died a few years back and this was the new owner?

SLT Kota

Reaction score
So the prior owner died a few years back and this was the new owner?

Mike the founder of outerlimits passed away a few years ago at LOTO. Joe, a longtime OL customer, purchased the assets of the company to save it.

Does anyone know how the other people in the boat are doing?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Very sad. RIP. I was out flying today and flew over all the poker run boats. Water conditions were great, light chop and very conducive to high speed running. A few MTIs and Skaters cruising 120+.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what events happened that caused the accident? Blown drive? Bad water? Such a horrible loss for OL. Where do they go from here? I love those boats! All models!

stolen

Reaction score
Hey Dave, this is Adam..

Yes, Joe was in his new SVX 50. He was parked next to us at Captain Ron’s at LOTO. I think the pics I took were with your phone. Horrible deal...

5DA3AB35-1E9A-41CD-8AAD-D8482E3C97A5.jpeg
DBF05343-B5DE-4CE3-AA2D-0397BE5883C8.jpeg
EAFC9B47-B1AC-4E01-9EC8-4C6F2F931B52.jpeg

New to boating

Reaction score
RIP

I raced in Super V against Joe for years. He was a very focused Guy and very talented Racer, you could go into a turn wide open side by side with him and never be worried that he would wreck you (unlike several other competitors especially a certain RED Super V still racing we all named "The Blind Man"). I used to joke around with him when we were in the race fuel line headed to the crane, he would have towels over his propellers (a requirement for safety and also to stop competitors from seeing what props you had selected) and I would sneak behind his boat and pull the towels off and say "Hey Joe what props are you running today"and he would get all cranky with that New York accent and we would laugh about it...... this is a terrible loss, and ................in a Poker Run....... hope the passangers recorver.

Last edited:

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
RIP we weren't to far behind that accident by what I was told. I'm sure that something broke ,talked to a couple of O L guys late last night weather was not an issue

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Definitely a sad deal, but I’m sure in his soul he’s happier to have gone doing something he loved vs of old age in a wheelchair.

Taboma

Reaction score
Certainly tragic, even more so perhaps when considering the dangers encountered during his racing career, yet to be taken due to an accident while enjoying recreational boating. That SVX 50 is amazing, but I'm hoping before this thread closes, somebody can take a moment to explain some of the design considerations regarding safety of a full canopied recreational boat.
As examples, in the race versions, the main purpose of the canopy is occupant safety, in the recreational version it appears to be designed for environmental comfort. Race versions have full harness, emergency air and of course the occupants are trained on emergency procedures. I have no idea what caused Mr. Sgro's injuries, or anything about this particular accident. But viewing the pictures of the boat raised several questions in regards to recreational full canopied boats.
RIP Mr. Sgro

stolen

Reaction score
I've been in the SVX 50. It is essentially a race boat with a full interior and a different set of props. It has all the safety features of a race boat: full harness, roll cage, etc, etc. From my understanding, the biggest difference between the SVX 50 and, say, the SV 43 race boat is that the 50 has the normal deck height and the 43 is way cut down. I saw the SV 43 race boat at the factory and it is really low and cut down. The deck and interior are simply weight saving measures and don't compromise safety. And, of course, the 50 doesn't have an escape hatch in the floor, but that's not a function of race vs pleasure, it's cat vs v hull. The main variable between this boat and a race boat are the occupants. It would be pure speculation to assume whether the occupants (other than Joe) were trained or not, but that conversation is not appropriate at this point in time.

I want to believe that this was simply a freak accident. All things considered, this boat is a safe as you can get for a 150+ mph vessel and Joe is as experienced and as capable as they get. Race in Peace, Joe.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Heartbreaking. GodSpeed to him and prayers for everyone else in the cabin. I knew everytime I swung a leg over, it might be for the last time, but you still never expect it to happen. Sad.

Tank

Reaction score
Tom said the boat was getting up on plane (so running slow) and just rolled over as it was coming over onto plane. Most likely hit the bottom (guessing). When they pulled him out of the water he had a very bad facial injury...Like, really bad from what was described to me. most likely smacked his face on the dash or wheel.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Mike the founder of outerlimits passed away a few years ago at LOTO. Joe, a longtime OL customer, purchased the assets of the company to save it.

Does anyone know how the other people in the boat are doing?

From what I heard everyone was fine except Joe. The story going around Key West was they pulled into a stop and the place was packed, so they decided to go back out and head to the next stop. Joe had taken his seatbelt off when they pulled in and had not put it back on (presumably going to put it back on in a few after they had got going again?). Boat came up on plane and somehow rolled over. When it rolled over he had hit his head on something in the cockpit. The other occupants had to get out of the boat (now upside down) which they did. Joe (presumably unconscious) drown, but was revived. They flew him to a hospital where he was stable. It was decided to fly him to another establishment where he passed away in flight. Possible secondary drowning? Or?

As for why the boat rolled over I'd guess the only guy that would know would be the guy that was sitting next to him.

The whole thing is extremely tragic, and my heart goes out to OuterLimits and their family of customers. :(.

I also understand we live in a "gotta know now" society but I think some
of the media outlets are in such a hurry to break a story (in order to be first) that they are a little insensitive to the situation.. We heard about it immediately after it happened but didn't feel right about trying to make a press release out of it.

Last edited:

deanal

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am a family member of Joe Sgro. I have seen that many people here have a story to share about him. His family would love to hear if you have a story to share with them about Joe. If you do, please message me the story with your name so I can forward it to them. They have been finding comfort in hearing the funny/caring/compassionate stories about him.

Thank you all for your time and if you have any other suggestions on where I can post this, please let me know.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am a family member of Joe Sgro. I have seen that many people here have a story to share about him. His family would love to hear if you have a story to share with them about Joe. If you do, please message me the story with your name so I can forward it to them. They have been finding comfort in hearing the funny/caring/compassionate stories about him.

Thank you all for your time and if you have any other suggestions on where I can post this, please let me know.
Sorry for your loss. GodSpeed to him.