WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Preventing rust on my nuts

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
My lug nuts.

I had a bearing buddy cap come off and the grease covered my wheel. I decided to take all the tires off and clean em up real good. Degreaser, pressure washing.

Sumbitch, I could barely get the lugs nuts off. I had to cheater bar the things loose. It's hot enough in my garage ( It ain't AC'd like RD, yet;)) and I would hate to have to try that in the 115 degree heat on the side of the road. If needed, I would have penetraing oiled them, heated them and worked them back and forth, but, that ain't gonna happen on I-10

Last time they were off was when I got new tires a couple years ago. The tire shops impact is obviously better and stronger than mine. They were rusted pretty good though.

So, any tips on preventing the rust without risking the lugs coming loose?

Last edited:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I always spritz the threads with WD40 and it seems to work fine but I'm sure that's a redneck solution to a simple problem that can be solved the right way for a couple of grand. If you use a straw, there isn't much overspray.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I always spritz the threads with WD40 and it seems to work fine but I'm sure that's a redneck solution to a simple problem that can be solved the right way for a couple of grand. If you use a straw, there isn't much overspray.

I'm OK with redneck engineering. It's saved me many times.

Yeah, I used WD40 to clean the threads up with a steel brush. Guess I'll put a little more on before reinstalling.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Lol, "preventing rust on my nuts", that title made me laugh...:D

ROC, lol

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The auto parts stores sell thread anti seize paste. Comes in a white or grey bottle. Apply it to ur lug threads generously then put the lug nuts on. U can stuff some in the lug nuts also for double duty. Ive never had a rust/seized problem since ive owned the boat.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
OK. I'm running into Parker in a few. I'll get some of that anti-sieze stuff.

McRib

Reaction score
Now if rust on ur nutz is code for u havent been gettin any. We cant help u with that! Thats jamies job:p u better get her to step to the plate :p remember its not rape when ur married :p :p:rolleyes:

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Now if rust on ur nutz is code for u havent been gettin any. We cant help u with that! Thats jamies job:p u better get her to step to the plate :p remember its not rape when ur married :p :p:rolleyes:

:champagne::D

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
What a dumbass. My air compressor regulator was set at 80 lbs. lol. That didn't do my impact any favors. Idiot. :skull
Learn something every day, I always say

500bbc

Reaction score
Make sure you use a torque wrench reinstalling especially with anti seize (anti seize not recommended by the "experts").

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Anti seize all the way. Careful with the stuff though. You only need to put a dab on. Also if you get it on your hands in no time you'll be covered in it. I don't know what it is but that stuff spreads like a wildfire. Lol

boatnam2

Reaction score
The reason i dont leave home without my cordless dewalt impact wrench...Hasn't lost a match yet!:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Make sure you use a torque wrench reinstalling especially with anti seize (anti seize not recommended by the "experts").

Really? Been using it for years. I worked for a trucking company as a mechanic and we used it on all our trucks lugs. Never had a problem. Also use it on my personal vehicles.

McRib

Reaction score
Really? Been using it for years. I worked for a trucking company as a mechanic and we used it on all our trucks lugs. Never had a problem. Also use it on my personal vehicles.

X2

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
My torque wrench is at home. Been thinking about getting another for the river pad though.

Am I missing something, because I was just gonna make sure the nuts were country tight. I used to torque the nuts on the fire trucks, but, we had aluminum wheels and the wheel manufacturer recommended it.

I have steel wheels here.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Hey Nate. Where can I get a decent torque wrench in Parker or Havasu? I might as well get a couple. One for big stuff and one for smaller stuff like my seadoos

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Rednecks don't "spritz" .....only homos and Jews

boatnam2

Reaction score
I would never even bother to torque a g-cart..shit falls off i will just put it back on...

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
You haven't been licking your nuts have you? That will cause rust. :D

JBS

Reaction score
Rednecks don't "spritz" .....only homos and Jews

Geez and people think Pokey has it rough around here

Now your picking on Ritchie and I :D

Sent from my iPhone

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Damm. Roc has more problems at the river then anybody I know. :p

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Anti seize all the way. Careful with the stuff though. You only need to put a dab on. Also if you get it on your hands in no time you'll be covered in it. I don't know what it is but that stuff spreads like a wildfire. Lol

You're not kidding about that stuff being messy as shit. When I was a tech, we would smear it all over the ear piece on a shop phone, then call that extension from another phone in the shop and get someone new to answer it... LOL, anti sieze all over their ear for the rest of the day, there's no getting that shit off.:D

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I gave you a slow pitch over the plate since you are medicated more than usual :D

Sent from my iPhone

You, my friend, are the most recent recipient of the 'Master of the Understatement" award of the year!

:D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
80208c.jpg

Also use it on anything stainless to stainless. Your local Ace will have it:thumbsup

Cajun

Reaction score
Something else I've come across with lug nuts. It's not the threads that seize, but the mating surface of tapered nuts on aluminum rims. I use white lithium on those.

boatnam2

Reaction score
You're not kidding about that stuff being messy as shit. When I was a tech, we would smear it all over the ear piece on a shop phone, then call that extension from another phone in the shop and get someone new to answer it... LOL, anti sieze all over their ear for the rest of the day, there's no getting that shit off.:D

we use to do that shit all the time..phone, radios, door handles...last time 2 guys almost got into fight....

500bbc

Reaction score

I agree just what I've read trying to be anal on the trailer, lugs, bearings etc. I hate putting them on dry too but make sure I use a torque wrench.

500bbc

Reaction score

Wait a damn minute........aren't those big rig lug nuts on like 1-1/2" studs torqued to 160 FP??? They'll never work loose.:D:D:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Wait a damn minute........aren't those big rig lug nuts on like 1-1/2" studs torqued to 160 FP??? They'll never work loose.:D:D:D

Fuck if I know. We just used a big ass 1" impact gun. :D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Also if you get it on your hands in no time you'll be covered in it. I don't know what it is but that stuff spreads like a wildfire. Lol

You can't clean it. You can just spread it thinner.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
we use to do that shit all the time..phone, radios, door handles...last time 2 guys almost got into fight....

I don't like to see grown men fight but they were probably easy to get apart.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

Tighter than 160... my big dollar 1/2" gun wont budge them on 175psi...:banghead: the gun is rated at 700+ftlb at 125psi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

parkerpowersports

Reaction score
depends roc, if its just for lugs n shit id get an autozone special. but if your going to be torquing engine parts or something id get matco or crap-on