WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Portable Evaporative Coolers/Portacool/Big ass coolers/What else for garage coolers/AC

ssc

Reaction score
Outstanding. I have found so many great folks on River Dave's. Thanks to Dave and the good folks here.

Cheers, Steve

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Today is one of those extra ordinary days.... 102 degrees, 9% humidity and my evap is putting out 72 degrees... 30 degree delta and you can hang meat in the garage/shop!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Today is one of those extra ordinary days.... 102 degrees, 9% humidity and my evap is putting out 72 degrees... 30 degree delta and you can hang meat in the garage/shop!
Damn!!!!!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The constant cycling of a thermostatically controlled swamp cooler causes buildup. Every time that pad dries out more buildup occurs.

That isn't all that accurate. Build-up occurs at a MUCH faster rate when the system is running. There are 2 keys to minimize the build-up, 1st is water treatment/filtration and the second is a properly set-up purge system. The repeated drying and wetting of the pads do not increase their build-up but can speed up break down of the material structure.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
That isn't all that accurate. Build-up occurs at a MUCH faster rate when the system is running. There are 2 keys to minimize the build-up, 1st is water treatment/filtration and the second is a properly set-up purge system. The repeated drying and wetting of the pads do not increase their build-up but can speed up break down of the material structure.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
We can choose to disagree, I’m good with that. My experience has been the drying out process promotes build up. 😊

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We can choose to disagree, I’m good with that. My experience has been the drying out process promotes build up. [emoji4]
Mine is based on servicing hundreds over the years in various applications and water conditions as part of my career.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
We can choose to disagree, I’m good with that. My experience has been the drying out process promotes build up. 😊
Does it have anything to do with how bad the water is in Havasu. I get my EVAP serviced every 6 months.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Does it have anything to do with how bad the water is in Havasu. I get my EVAP serviced every 6 months.
In my opinion yes. 😊
Mine is based on servicing hundreds over the years in various applications and water conditions as part of my career.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I am not in the business but I’ve been dealing with coolers out here in Havasu for 40 years and it’s just my opinion. I do use the water filters on the inlet but nothing else. In my opinion the purge systems are just a waste of water. I replace pads about every third year. I just consider it routine maintenance. Not saying you’re wrong just sharing my experience. 😊

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
In my opinion yes. 😊

I am not in the business but I’ve been dealing with coolers out here in Havasu for 40 years and it’s just my opinion. I do use the water filters on the inlet but nothing else. In my opinion the purge systems are just a waste of water. I replace pads about every third year. I just consider it routine maintenance. Not saying you’re wrong just sharing my experience. 😊
I understand and Im not trying to make it seem like Im getting into a pissing match. Just trying to share mine, and really the industry's, opinion of how to prolong cooler life. Without a purge system the contaminates, minerals, and other dissolved solids in the water will just keep building up increasing the TDS of the circulated water more and more thus increasing the rate of which those contaminates are deposited onto the media and other components. Obviously with a good filtration system those contaminates are reduced greatly, BUT.... the system also adds deposits to it that are in the air it pulls in (dust, dirt, organic matter, etc). Also, when the contaminate concentration increases, cooler efficiency decreases as well. Purging the water at the correct rate will actually REDUCE the amount of water consumed by the system as well and there have been plenty of studies to reflect that. I can go into further detail about how these are the case for each item but again, this is really just an attempt at sharing an informative point of view from the industry regarding the systems and how they function for best and optimal performance.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Mine is a two speed on a tstat with the automated purge system. It runs all year as long as the temps trigger the tstat. I use no pre filters, just city tap. I replace the media about once every 3 years for a hundred bucks or so. I went a little longer Than 3 year this time by flipping the media 180 degrees since the exterior side had more calcification... what’s the fuss about?

boatpi

Reaction score
My mini split in my large three car garage with 12 foot ceiling stays on 24 seven at 77° in Las Vegas.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My mini split in my large three car garage with 12 foot ceiling stays on 24 seven at 77° in Las Vegas.
1 Mini split? What size? I have a 3 car with RV garage and my AC guy said 1 will work. I think he said a 3 ton?

Boat 405

Reaction score
My rv garage is 60' deep by 17' wide. I have a 2.5 ton mini split and a 1.5 ton mini split. Can drop the temp about 10 degrees in a hour. They are very efficient. The 1.5 ton version has 25.3 seer rating. While the 2.5 ton has an 16.5 seer rating. From Fujitsu. Whats great is there are now several companies that sell wifi control units so you can control the temp from your phone anywhere.
1554ED3D-87F2-4B2C-BEEA-5FBB59BF6D60.jpeg
0BBABCDE-75B7-4914-999F-783C678DBBCE.jpeg
DDEEBCEF-7427-4766-A3EE-3852F2545D58.jpeg