Pools - plaster or pebble sheen?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
ACED9602-124D-4232-9842-F70EF2FC2799.png
466B971E-355A-4677-9028-4613B4BE7ECE.png
E613BE3A-F0B0-4965-A30F-68888D9C2DC5.png
3D752ED6-E05D-40D2-88CC-3A107A859C2B.png
E90808D6-799E-4CA1-86F9-06868B7C9A84.jpeg
Does any body have any pics of a cocktail / plunge pools?
We walk some of the House developments on the island and some of the pools are tiny and we are thinking that’s what we are going to go with. Just a pool to jump in and get wet and have a beer or 6.... this would be in Havasu

Top 2 are 12x24 range splash pools
Bottom 3 are considered spools basically large spas that you can move around in or even have a baja area for chairs etc

DLC

Reaction score
Wow looks awesome!

We are thinking 12-14 ish X 18-20 ish. Up to 4.5 deep.... So that is considered a spool?

Thank you for posting some pics!

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Wow looks awesome!

We are thinking 12-14 ish X 18-20 ish. Up to 4.5 deep.... So that is considered a spool?

Thank you for posting some pics!

Nope 12x20ish is just a play pool or small pool. Cocktail and plunge pool are just fancy ways of saying a small pool, lol

Spools typically have bench’s so it can be used as a pool or heated and used as a spa.
Now if you did above with a bench down an entire side with multiple jets then yes it would be considered a spool ( basically a multi purpose pool or spa in 1 )

Reactions: DLC

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
So, here’s a pic of our pool we built this spring. 5 week total build time including a week for the pavers. The tile is super smooth but has good traction for playing on the Baja shelf. The rest is “blue” quartz. It’s 5’ in middle and 3’6” at each end. Salt... which I’d highly recommend. My youngest son wanted to make sure he was first in the pool...
F568D155-7989-475A-83F1-D1DDF67A96B6.jpeg

We went with the blue to pop against all of the earth tones in the surrounding yard...
F835BF57-8EE3-4E9B-A4BF-105DB64D7F76.jpeg
796A2A75-4C9E-48A3-9098-57C17118A40E.jpeg
D449750E-B13E-4A1E-9ABD-BF2D916E982D.jpeg

Next week we will have the pavers on the other side of the yard done. We actually just ordered the above ground jacuzzi today. Big decision as there are a ton out there. I’ll post some pics later of the elevated seating area and walls we had done to surround the spa.
If anyone needs a top notch new pool builder in Phx or possibly a super custom build in Havasu, let me know.
MYV, thanks for answering my questions. Pebble wasn’t an option for us, as I just don’t like the look or feel. Just personal preference, so I was interested in learning more about it.

DLC

Reaction score
Nope 12x20ish is just a play pool or small pool. Cocktail and plunge pool are just fancy ways of saying a small pool, lol

Spools typically have bench’s so it can be used as a pool or heated and used as a spa.
Now if you did above with a bench down an entire side with multiple jets then yes it would be considered a spool ( basically a multi purpose pool or spa in 1 )

Thank you for the 411!

We have a current pool in San Diego north county, but have a ton of questions for our Havasu pool, chillers and size of pool has us questioning some things and we would like some honest answers. I called one of the major pool companies ( like 6-8 weeks ago ) in Havasu and still haven’t gotten a return call... I think they just have way to much cash rolling in right now... we are in no hurry and would like to wait until a down turn, but my magic *8 ball is out of batteries...

LoL
I’m sure you can relate to that,

You always give a great and honest response to questions posted, so a big thank you for your wisdom and experience...

I’ll always have a cold beer for you in my cooler- Doug

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It is possible a small pool could turn into agua caliente with havasu heat. Just sayin.

Does any body have any pics of a cocktail / plunge pools?
We walk some of the House developments on the island and some of the pools are tiny and we are thinking that’s what we are going to go with. Just a pool to jump in and get wet and have a beer or 6.... this would be in Havasu

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I dig the table setup.

Looks like nice digs too DL.

So, here’s a pic of our pool we built this spring. 5 week total build time including a week for the pavers. The tile is super smooth but has good traction for playing on the Baja shelf. The rest is “blue” quartz. It’s 5’ in middle and 3’6” at each end. Salt... which I’d highly recommend. My youngest son wanted to make sure he was first in the pool...
We went with the blue to pop against all of the earth tones in the surrounding yard...
Next week we will have the pavers on the other side of the yard done. We actually just ordered the above ground jacuzzi today. Big decision as there are a ton out there. I’ll post some pics later of the elevated seating area and walls we had done to surround the spa.
If anyone needs a top notch new pool builder in Phx or possibly a super custom build in Havasu, let me know.
MYV, thanks for answering my questions. Pebble wasn’t an option for us, as I just don’t like the look or feel. Just personal preference, so I was interested in learning more about it.

DLC

Reaction score
It is possible a small pool could turn into agua caliente with havasu heat. Just sayin.

We might have to get a chiller to keep it out of the high 90’s/ 100’s. But time will tell

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Can you give a little more detail about the whole process?

It’s a budget fix for old discolored plaster. Prerty basic really:
1. Repair any chipping, cracked or broken plaster.
2. I sanded the whole plaster surface with 80 grit (took a few days).
3. Clean thoroughly with TSP and water (I used a stiff brush on a handle). Rinse and let it dry completely, which took a few days.
4. Lay on the primer. Wife did the cutting in, and I rolled the main part. Let dry overnight.
5. paint on the epoxy coating. Same as primer. Let dry for a week before putting water in it. Done deal!

It’s only good for about 3 years. I’ve recoated it twice since I initially did it in 2010.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Baller.
3. Clean thoroughly with TSP and water (I used a stiff brush on a handle). Rinse and let it dry completely, which took a few days.
4. Lay on the primer. Wife did the cutting in, and I rolled the main part. Let dry overnight.
5. paint on the epoxy coating. Same as primer. Let dry for a week before putting water in it. Done deal!

It’s only good for about 3 years. I’ve recoated it twice since I initially did it in 2010.

DLC

Reaction score

How is the epoxy holding up? I know this is old thread but I ran Accross it And thought I would start it back up...

way way way back when I was a broke dick, like last week! LoL.

Way Before epoxy we actually used UGL Drylock paint for masonry, depot sold it in 5 gallon buckets and it came in blue. So we were planning our intimate garden wedding (2001) AKA Back yard shotguns an all wedding and We just painted the pool so it looked great for the wedding, we painted it 2 more times before we Replastered In 2007. It was really easy! it would last about 2-3 years