WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pools - plaster or pebble sheen?

Buster Wrench

Reaction score
I’m building a pool in Havasu anybody have experience or thoughts on which material to use? Which one will last longer?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
My MIL in Fla. just had all that redone over the winter.
Wife and kids were just down there last week. She said it was gorgeous. Very happy.
Pebble tech.
jm2c.

HavaToon

Reaction score
I have pebble micro fusion in Phoenix and quartz in Havasu, we prefer the quartz and it was way less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCHB

Reaction score
Pics? :) thanks Tony!
If you want to come by when in town let me know. I can show it to you. It does look a lot more blue sparkle than the typical white plaster.

TCHB

Reaction score
5E1834C1-F4B5-4346-B7CF-39B9A81ECB3C.jpeg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
If you want to come by when in town let me know. I can show it to you. It does look a lot more blue sparkle than the typical white plaster.

Will do! I owe you a beer :)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
We have the quartz also. We opted for a brownish tone with sparkle and we love it. It's different than most but that's how we roll. It looks as if you are on the bow of the boat going into a cove and watching the sand bottom.

Attachments

• finished pool.png
    finished pool.png
    960.7 KB · Views: 635

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Plaster is smoothest but life expectancy sucks ( 5 years )
Quartz is better but a little more rough ( 7-10 years )
Mini pebble and any variation a little more rough then quartz, large pebble rarely used is roughest nearly like asphalt, lol ( 10+ years )
We do 90%+ of pools mini pebble best all around product

TCHB

Reaction score
Mini pebble and any variation a little more rough then quartz, large pebble rarely used is roughest nearly like asphalt, lol ( 10+ years )
Our Havasu pool is going on its 8th year now and still looks like new. I drain the water ever other year. Our house in Henderson has a pebble tech pool built in 2002 and it still looks great.
I am hoping to get at least 15 years out of the 3m quartz plaster. We will see.

2Driver

Reaction score
We went from plaster to pebble sheen. It looks better but man it takes the skin off your feet if you are not careful. I cant image full pebble tech. The pool looks like the day it was done back in 2010

Our plaster pool lasted a solid 10 years if you care for your pool. If I do it again I’d look at quartz

HavaToon

Reaction score

And if you’re a straight up baller there is Hydrazzo. The smoothest and longest lasting of any finish.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Just did quartz in ours. Just FYI, my pool builder was very hesitant to do the Tahoe Blue quartz (what we originally wanted) as most plaster guys won’t use it. Apparently they have a pretty big issue with the darker blue quartz getting blotchy after a few months. We went with a lighter blue but still did a darker blue tile. We wanted the blue contrast to the otherwise earth tone yard.
IMG_4068.JPG

boatpi

Reaction score
Wizard, is that a travertine deck? If so how is it in hot months to walk on.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Mine is a blue quartz, but if I was to do it again I'd do pebble..... The smooth quartz shows every mistake in the plaster, kind of like having a black car with imperfect metal.

HavaToon

Reaction score

Both of mine are travertine one is more traditional color and the other is silver. The silver stays cooler but both can get hot. Not as cool as cool deck but cooler than concrete or pavers.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Mine is a blue quartz, but if I was to do it again I'd do pebble..... The smooth quartz shows every mistake in the plaster, kind of like having a black car with imperfect metal.

This is true, however I had the same problem with the light color pebble. It was so bad they redid it.

Always ask for the Tuesday -Thursday morning first shift crew for plaster.

boatpi

Reaction score
i am in the beginning stages on a concept for my new Las Vegas house pool design. I had Quartz in Havasu, loved it, looks like I will do the same but in the beach tan color, or mixed. Working on a backyard concept mirroring to an extent Red Rock Canyon that is not too far from the house, and the red hills near me. Using large boulders, flagstone, background and a alcove that would include the spa with overhear waterfall. So if we were in the pool during the afternoon heat, our back would be to the sun and protected by a 8' tall piece of flagstone, get hot, turn on the waterfall.

These colors; https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9IlFI6MRaPWMAkBJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbGZiMWJ1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=las+vegas+red+rock+canyon&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=140&iurl=https://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tumblr_mwkxt64P9Z1t1fm16o1_1280-500x500.jpg&action=click

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Before we made our decision on concrete or travertine I brought home some pieces of travertine that were to be used and laid them on the concrete that we were replacing and in the midday sun it was 12 degrees cooler than the concrete it was laying on

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Before we made our decision on concrete or travertine I brought home some pieces of travertine that were to be used and laid them on the concrete that we were replacing and in the midday sun it was 12 degrees cooler than the concrete it was laying on
Can you walk on it in bare feet in July? I may have to come over it test it out. :rolleyes::D

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Good stuff...summer is coming! Too bad all I can afford now is a doughboy LOL

Reactions: Wmc

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score

What have you experienced as far as traction? I’ve noticed that my travertine coping is much more slippery than our pavers... which are tumbled and we have had no problem with cutting our feet compared to non tumbled. Luckily most of where we walk on the pavers is shaded all day. They do get hot though.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
And if you’re a straight up baller there is Hydrazzo. The smoothest and longest lasting of any finish.

It’s pretty much glorified quartz and or micro pebble.

Real ballers do full glass pebble, nearly 100 plf but the color and smooth finish are uncomparable to anything else

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Can you walk on it in bare feet in July? I may have to come over it test it out. :rolleyes::D
How tough are your feet?:D Hell, anything in July is going to be hot but not as hot as concrete and the like. We don't have to go to far in our pool area so it's not that big of a deal.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
What have you experienced as far as traction? I’ve noticed that my travertine coping is much more slippery than our pavers... which are tumbled and we have had no problem with cutting our feet compared to non tumbled. Luckily most of where we walk on the pavers is shaded all day. They do get hot though.
We don't find it that slick at all but being older and friends being older, we all tend to be careful. In 2 1/2 years no one has slipped that the wife and I know of, now the tile in the house is a different story, that is some slick ass stuff with wet feet!!!! A good portion of our pool area is also shaded in the afternoon and not by design, just pure luck!!!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
How tough are your feet?:D Hell, anything in July is going to be hot but not as hot as concrete and the like. We don't have to go to far in our pool area so it's not that big of a deal.
That’s why I was asking, when I hear people talk about cool deck I just kind of chuckle. I have yet to find cool deck in Arizona that works in July.:D

Maybe it’s possible with white colored cool deck, but I’ve never seen it done, would probably be impossible to keep clean.

I was hoping that you had found the holy Grail of pool decking that stays cool in the summer. :D

Albert

Reaction score
That’s why I was asking, when I hear people talk about cool deck I just kind of chuckle. I have yet to find cool deck in Arizona that works in July.:D

Maybe it’s possible with white colored cool deck, but I’ve never seen it done, would probably be impossible to keep clean.

I was hoping that you had found the holy Grail of pool decking that stays cool in the summer. :D
Some friends of ours in parker have cool deck in a light tan color , stayed pretty cool.

sirbob

Reaction score
I don't know what better of more cost effective between pebble tech or plaster but I know i like mosaic tiles - they surely must cost more but they look great when done right.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I don't know what better of more cost effective between pebble tech or plaster but I know i like mosaic tiles - they surely must cost more but they look great when done right.

Plaster is the least ,Pebble Quartz are about 2/3 higher, glass Pebble is 8-10Xs Plaster cost
Tile finish entire pools (done right ) in Concrete Pools, the cost would typically be higher then the entire build cost. Like starting at 30k+ for tile work alone, and why it’s so rare to see. Done right will typically outlast the lifetime of the owner and sometimes generations.

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So cheaper in the long run, as long as they style doesn't become passe.

Brian

Plaster is the least ,Pebble Quartz hydrazzo are all about 2/3 higher, glass Pebble is 8-10Xs Plaster cost
Tile finish entire pools (done right ) in Concrete Pools, the cost would typically be higher then the entire build cost. Like starting at 30k+ for tile work alone, and why it’s so rare to see. Done right will typically outlast the lifetime of the owner and sometimes generations.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I really like the look of mini pebble, but recently my kids feet and toes have been beat up at the neighbors pool with mini. I'm a few weeks away from plaster in pool with mini budgeted in. Can something be done to smoothen mini pebble to match a quartz feel. How much more is glass from mini and is it a lot smoother?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I really like the look of mini pebble, but recently my kids feet and toes have been beat up at the neighbors pool with mini. I'm a few weeks away from plaster in pool with mini budgeted in. Can something be done to smoothen mini pebble to match a quartz feel. How much more is glass from mini and is it a lot smoother?

It can be diamond sanded to a glass finish. Back when Pebblesheen (Pebble tec) came out the sanding was part of of the process. The problem is the competition didn’t require sanding so over time it was phased out.
So yes it can be sanded, if your guy even has the equipment. Knowing who your using I’d say he does not. But usually would cost a couple thousand more to cover the amount of diamond disks needed.
All glass is double the cost of mini Pebble

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
It can be diamond sanded to a glass finish. Back when Pebblesheen (Pebble tec) came out the sanding was part of of the process. The problem is the competition didn’t require sanding so over time it was phased out.
So yes it can be sanded, if your guy even has the equipment. Knowing who your using I’d say he does not. But usually would cost a couple thousand more to cover the amount of diamond disks needed.
All glass is double the cost of mini Pebble
So, what is the cost comparison between quartz and a ground smooth pebble sheen? Also, what does a ground pebble look like? Does it keep its original pebble look? Or does it look better or worse?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
All my friends with pebble are experiencing binder failure on the steps.

Ballers put in tile.

UD

rrrr

Reaction score
My MIL in Fla. just had all that redone over the winter.
Wife and kids were just down there last week. She said it was gorgeous. Very happy.
Pebble tech.
jm2c.

Five years on our Pebble Tech, it still looks great. No one has ever complained that it's rough on their feet.

DLC

Reaction score
Does any body have any pics of a cocktail / plunge pools?
We walk some of the House developments on the island and some of the pools are tiny and we are thinking that’s what we are going to go with. Just a pool to jump in and get wet and have a beer or 6.... this would be in Havasu

rvrrun

Reaction score
Does any body have any pics of a cocktail / plunge pools?
We walk some of the House developments on the island and some of the pools are tiny and we are thinking that’s what we are going to go with. Just a pool to jump in and get wet and have a beer or 6.... this would be in Havasu
That's what ours is, and we love it. It's about 5' in the middle and 3-3.5 at the ends. Rectangular for volleyball, the kids jump feet first in the middle with no worries and I can stand in the middle flat foot and my chin is just touching the water. There are a couple of shelves and seats around it in the shade to keep an eye on the kids when they are romping around. I'll see if I have any pics when I get home.

...and another vote for that expose aggregate tearing the crap out of your feet.

Reactions: DLC

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
4FB57F23-6D62-421C-B507-54551A42E905.jpeg
So, what is the cost comparison between quartz and a ground smooth pebble sheen? Also, what does a ground pebble look like? Does it keep its original pebble look? Or does it look better or worse?

Dlow: Quartz and mini Pebble are pretty much same costs with in dollars of each other depending on colors

Sanded mini Pebble costs a couple thousand more. And yes as long as no glass Pebble or abalone it will look the same but can be as smooth as glass, typically only done on steps, benches and shallow areas.

All my friends with pebble are experiencing binder failure on the steps.

Ballers put in tile.

UD

You mean like dis one :D, baby baller spa is full Tile, Pool is Pebble w glass and mini Pebble mix

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

MelloYello is right (and he should know what he's talking about but will he come to AZ to re-do our pool?)

I'm on pool #3 and I'd never use plaster as it's too "old school" for us. All 3 of our pools have a pebble surface. The first one had a larger pebble and there were no problems with our feet. The second pool had newer pebble and it was even better. We're going to re-do our current pool and we'll use a small pebble surface.

One thing I've seen is that there are all kinds of pebble surfaces each with a different name/brand. Go with what feels best as all of them can give you the color and reflectivity you're looking for. The large pebble samples I've seen are indeed like asphalt - way too rough and I'd not use them.