WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Automation - Worth the cost? Which equipment & total cost?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Do you have smart phone control over your pool & spa? The concept is great - would love to be able to control it all on my phone but the cost and reliability are my big concerns.

Our new to us pool has a Hayward variable speed pump and a Raypak pool/spa heater along with a number of manual actuators (valves) including pool/spa, sheer descent, spa water feature.

To heat up the spa I need to manually change 2 or 3 actuators (valves), turn the variable speed pump on to high, and turn on the heater. If I need to change the temperature I need to do that at the heater (and I can't check the temperature). And when I turn the spa off I need to undo all the above settings and return the pump to automatic.

I got a quote from our new-to-us pool guy for $2870 for:
1. Prologic Pool/Spa Control PS4 Panel
2. Aqua Connect Bundle including:
* 2 actuators
* Aqua Connect Wireless Home Network device
* Hayward Wireless RF Antenna
* $300 labor

I priced the above hardware on Amazon and it totals $1936 (plus $300 labor would be $2236). Pool guy is obviously making money on the equipment too.

And the reviews on Amazon (small number) of the PLPS4 Pro Logic Panel are awful (motherboard problems are consistently reported).

Your comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

gmnhra

Reaction score
we have the zodiac aqualink...
works great
n isues...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Thanks. anyone else? pool experts suggestions?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I use pentair - I would PM melloyellow vector on the $ etc. Automate the pool / spa - it is worth it. You will use it way more / enjoy it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Same as above Have a Jandy/ Zodiac 8 with a pool remote control and automation - but no cell phone control.

Been worth it- ? absolutely.system has been rock solid.

controls

heater
solar (with and without gas heater)
Variable RPM pump
pool Lighting
Spa
Spa heat
Booster pump
Spa light

Got about 2-3K in it.

UD

TCHB

Reaction score
Do you have smart phone control over your pool & spa? The concept is great - would love to be able to control it all on my phone but the cost and reliability are my big concerns.

Our new to us pool has a Hayward variable speed pump and a Raypak pool/spa heater along with a number of manual actuators (valves) including pool/spa, sheer descent, spa water feature.

To heat up the spa I need to manually change 2 or 3 actuators (valves), turn the variable speed pump on to high, and turn on the heater. If I need to change the temperature I need to do that at the heater (and I can't check the temperature). And when I turn the spa off I need to undo all the above settings and return the pump to automatic.

I got a quote from our new-to-us pool guy for $2870 for:
1. Prologic Pool/Spa Control PS4 Panel
2. Aqua Connect Bundle including:
* 2 actuators
* Aqua Connect Wireless Home Network device
* Hayward Wireless RF Antenna
* $300 labor

I priced the above hardware on Amazon and it totals $1936 (plus $300 labor would be $2236). Pool guy is obviously making money on the equipment too.

And the reviews on Amazon (small number) of the PLPS4 Pro Logic Panel are awful (motherboard problems are consistently reported).

Your comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
I have the same system except the auto switch over valves. So far so good. No phone for us but that is ok.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I had MYV set up my pool with the whole Pentair system it was bitchen! Turn on your spa while on the way home and have it warm and ready when you get home!

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
I did all Pentair equipment on my pool. Pentair has an app called Screenlogic that everything is controlled through. I have full access to control everything remotely through the app. It is very user friendly and I honestly couldn't imagine having a pool without remote access to the controls. I believe it was a $2,000 upgrade.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Pentair with screenlogic would be my vote. :)

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Any recommendations for a pool automation company in Phoenix area?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Question - We bought our home with the spa, pool, filter and heater. Pentaire equipment vintage about 2006. Everything works. In order to most effectively/quickly heat our spa, I manually open the valves for the spa drains for supply and the spa jets for return, and turn on the heat pump heater. I also turn off the suction from main pool drains, skimmer and vacuum. Return line valves to the main pool are also turned off. So, all water filtered and heated is flowing through the spa only. Thermostat on the heater is analog. So once the spa reaches 100 degrees (by hand held thermometer) I begin dialing back the heater thermostat until the unit stops. The heater does come back on automatically when the water begins cooling. When we're done using the spa I shut down the filter/heater. To help retain the spa water temp we use a "bubble wrap type" spa cover overnight. So, when heating the spa the main pool does not get filtered, skimmed or vacuumed.

Good news this involved process works. But it is a Sizable PIA. Is there a better way to do it? What would it cost?

Weekend Therapy

Reaction score
I have the aqua link and control via phone. It makes it really nice when your at dinner and decide you want to take a dip in the hot tub later. Fire it up and ready to go when you get home.

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I have all Pentair equipment with the ScreenLogic system. I can’t imagine not having it. Every function is accessible from your mobile device.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I built my pool last summer and went back and forth in adding the automation I ended up going with Pintail with screen logic and am very happy I did so. I don't have a spa, but it's great to be able to turn my water feature in and off, control the pump, change the light colors, adust the salt cell settings, and track ,your water temp through my phone

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Any recommendations for a pool automation company in Phoenix area?

I used Branding with Monster Power for my pool and was very happy with the install and service . Mine was a new install, but I'd expect that they can add automation to an existing pool His number is 602 618 6298

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Few things, go with an 8 over a 4 if your doing it so you can add other features outdoor down the road.
We do primarily all pentair w screen logics on every pool
How ever you have a Hayward pump, I believe to wire that to a pentair control each speed would need a function ( relay ) so you would almost certainly need an 8 function to utilize multiple speeds.

It’s most common to match your controls with your pump ( manufacture )
Otherwise if any problems down the road warranty guys will point fingers - pump guy will say it’s a control issue and control guy will say it’s a pump issue.

His costs are not out of line. He just put way to little on install. I would not even consider touching controls for 300 install. NFW

It’s not like they come w breakers, gfi, gfi cover, new flex (whip kits) for all equipment, anchors, many times have to re wire lights from boxes in other areas of yard ( switches by back door that would need to be re routed back to equipment )
Communication wires that are long gone for pumps
Communication wires for heaters
A bunch of frickin uv zip ties
Sometimes valves need to be changed to newer 3 ways to be able to mount actuators
Paint and the list goes on.......
plus the knowledge of programming and doing shit right
Its all minimal costs individually, but added up will exceed his install costs alone
700-1000 min install costs alone, plus controls and remotes etc..

Ask your Poolguy if he’ll install if you supply, lol I’ll bet he won’t. LOL

Online costs when it comes to Pools gives homeowners a since of “ my guys screwing me “
The reality is, there is very little policies in place by manufactures to have min listed costs. So online companies sell stuff at or below what an average Pool guy buys it for from distribution. They make their profits off volume and manufacture rebates.

I’m no help for you in Phoenix, but if you end up wanting to buy the stuff I can point you in the right direction.

As far as automation goes, if anyone has a pool and spa. Absofuckinlutley
Pools only i don’t feel it’s a necessity but still convenient
Set up correct and with the right equipment you can control everything including salt (chlorine) and acid levels, heater, heat pump, actuators, lights, pumps, low voltage lighting, fire pits, fireplaces. Pretty much anything that can be turned on with a switch.
All from your phone, tablet, laptop etc..

Edit: there is nothing wrong w Hayward aqua logics. Most common issue with them is transformers going out after 5 years or so on the controls w salt.
The one your looking at doesn’t have salt anyway.
I have a few Pools we did them on 15 + years ago that have had no issues, other then needing old school remotes replaced because they just died. But those had internal batteries built into them. Shit an old school landline cordless phone didn’t last 10 plus years. So I’d say your safe with any controls that match pump, Pentair, Jandy, and Hayward

Last edited:

Andy01

Reaction score
We are doing a pool now, with pentair. Is the automation something that I need to add now?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We are doing a pool now, with pentair. Is the automation something that I need to add now?
It should be pentair intellitouch which is technically the automation piece. If you want control from your phone that is where you would add the ScreenLogic interface. It can be added later as a wireless piece that works well but I always prefer hardwired.

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

You can add now or later, usually cost less to install at new construction. We usually do them for near cost at new construction. Double that for doing later down the road.

You can do intellitouch or ez touch. I prefer ez touch for ease of use for owners, and service guys
If you do either add screen logic ( phone, tablet, Computer access ) it’s the only way to go

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
You can add now or later, usually cost less to install at new construction. We usually do them for near cost at new construction. Double that for doing later down the road.

You can do intellitouch or ez touch. I prefer ez touch for ease of use for owners, and service guys
If you do either add screen logic ( phone, tablet, Computer access ) it’s the only way to go
So on an existing pool, what does it cost to buy the equipment and install an EZ Touch set up? Ballpark? My remote and equip are all original, circa 2002....

spark2678

Reaction score

I have the Pentair With EZ touch remote. Works awesome! Had for probably 10 years. I would like to get the protocol adapter to control away from the home with screenlogic but my pentair panel is on opposite side of house compared to wireless router. Ethernet cable routing will not be easy and it’s not a huge deal breaker. Maybe one day.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
So on an existing pool, what does it cost to buy the equipment and install an EZ Touch set up? Ballpark? My remote and equip are all original, circa 2002....

Can depend on a few variables, do you have existing control system, or at least a sub panel at Pool.
And is it just an ez touch system w salt and screen logic kit, usually about 3000.00 ish for everything installed.
If no sub panel there is an ez touch w no sub for less, or running all new supply to feed a sub costs go up.
Next would be equipment pumps filter heater valves lights etc is it remaining or upgrade everything. Costs for equipment also has variables depending on variable speed pump or standard - circ pumps and or boost pumps, filter and heater sizes, lights regular or led or multi color led etc on average for all replaced 5000.00 ++ and up depending on what all getting done

Most Pools I build have 8000-10000 in equipment and controls alone

spark2678

Reaction score
I have the Pentair With EZ touch remote. Works awesome! Had for probably 10 years. I would like to get the protocol adapter to control away from the home with screenlogic but my pentair panel is on opposite side of house compared to wireless router. Ethernet cable routing will not be easy and it’s not a huge deal breaker. Maybe one day.
I just found a 522104 kit that is wireless! Around $400. This should be all I need. Cool.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

With existing, depending on age. ( may need pentair station to flash system to upgrade )
You would likely just need screen logic bundle. Comes with everything for wireless. And usually other end of house doesn’t matter for signal. Unless you have an enormous house. Plus you can buy WiFi extenders now. Little flying saucer deals that can be put outside that give crazy signal boost for wifi. We do jobs on 1acre plus properties with equipment at rear with a football field plus between equipment and router indoors. They add WiFi booster and bam full bars even at neighbors houses , lol

Edit : newer ScreenLogics are wireless and pretty much plug n play. No Ethernet cable needed to system

G. Faulk

Reaction score
100% worth it.

I'm a Pentair guy but I like the Jandy PDA P-S8 with IAqualink for Automation. For my Co Easy touch is the #1 rental property call out on a weekend because I cant figure out how to run it controller for me. I also think that IAqualink's format is better and easier to set up then Pentair's screen logic, but thats just me.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Can depend on a few variables, do you have existing control system, or at least a sub panel at Pool.
And is it just an ez touch system w salt and screen logic kit, usually about 3000.00 ish for everything installed.
If no sub panel there is an ez touch w no sub for less, or running all new supply to feed a sub costs go up.
Next would be equipment pumps filter heater valves lights etc is it remaining or upgrade everything. Costs for equipment also has variables depending on variable speed pump or standard - circ pumps and or boost pumps, filter and heater sizes, lights regular or led or multi color led etc on average for all replaced 5000.00 ++ and up depending on what all getting done

Most Pools I build have 8000-10000 in equipment and controls alone
Not sure what I have, but it looks like this.
9EB1E204-43A9-4F19-8DBB-A37925D5D799.jpeg
0168B482-D172-40DC-8DE9-DC38D72E5F99.jpeg
0168B482-D172-40DC-8DE9-DC38D72E5F99.jpeg
D8C94BD1-04F2-4993-B357-6F4E5CCA7933.jpeg

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Aquadyne old school remote technology, but yes at least you have existing sub panel
Equipment just depends what all you would want replaced. Filter is same, heater is much smaller, pump is same but variable speed motor is way better on noise and elect costs
I’m not looking at replacing any of the big stuff, only the items I need to make it work with a current remote or better a phone app. Heater, spa, lights, etc.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I’m not looking at replacing any of the big stuff, only the items I need to make it work with a current remote or better a phone app. Heater, spa, lights, etc.

Ok then, Current remote set up would be removed and trashed
Would do ez touch 4 or 8 w salt and screen logic bundle. Costs already above

seanmaz

Reaction score
I bought the smart pool timer from Thermomart in the following link,

http://www.thermomart.com/cellphone-wifi-app-google-alexa/Timer-Pool-Spa-Hot-Tub-Sauna

The product works. It’s good quality. It is easy to download the app and I paired it in 15 minutes.

This timer saves me $30-$50 a month and also I do everything on my cellphone or by voice (by Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant) from anywhere!

The Timer can be programmed as scheduled (24 hours 7 days with 8 events) or loop timers if you want to use more event every day. It has a countdown timer too.

It has a waterproof box and it is suitable for outside. I use the sharing system and now my wife can control the pool pump too.

Would definitely recommend purchasing.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Pentair, everything is on my iPad, spa, lights, fire bubblers, led jets, all of the speakers, sub woofer control, etc.

boatpi

Reaction score
90C7DAFC-1865-4E5D-AA30-3A6ECDA10B41.jpeg
84D56AE4-F9A5-4400-AF55-67C9D4C94041.jpeg
Pentair!!

Do NOT buy online as warranty is 6 months, but all Pentair and it is 5 years.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but for 3,000 bucks I’ll walk out back flip two valves and hit two switches to heat up the Spa..

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Dave, the reality is you don’t know the convenience until you have it.
Some would say why have a pool at your house when you live on a lake.
Why have a/c when you can open windows and turn on a fan etc....
Garage doors w phone capabilities. Pretty great to see yep doors closed
Front doors able to unlock while your out and say I show up needing a beer, you can hit unlock from your phone.
Automation on your thermostat at home. Pretty great to cool the house before you get home

When you’re able to turn on your spa when your on your way home from out of town or at dinner. In the spa, go to get nakey and turn lights off while still in spa so kids and neighbors aren’t getting a show.
Better yet. Wait til your kids get a little bigger and figure out how to operate. They have friends over forget to turn off heater and you find out when you get your gas bill. With phone remote you’d be able to see and shut that shit down real time.

So until you know what your missing, well you just don’t know

Spot

Reaction score
Pentair ScreenLogic is legit. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Socalx09

Reaction score
Screen logic works great. Changing lighting and timers with just the phone is easy. Especially when you forget to heat the pool up for a pool party.
4C85BA20-7BE9-471E-BE60-259054A2749E.png

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but for 3,000 bucks I’ll walk out back flip two valves and hit two switches to heat up the Spa..
We had the on/off turn the valve system.
It sucked. Spa too hot or too cold get in and get out and then go and turn it off or forget to switch the valves
Installed the PDA system for $1200 and it was like heaven until the remote quit
The iaqualink was $600 and plug n play.
Turn everything on and off and set temps from anywhere.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, the reality is you don’t know the convenience until you have it.
Some would say why have a pool at your house when you live on a lake.
Why have a/c when you can open windows and turn on a fan etc....
Garage doors w phone capabilities. Pretty great to see yep doors closed
Front doors able to unlock while your out and say I show up needing a beer, you can hit unlock from your phone.
Automation on your thermostat at home. Pretty great to cool the house before you get home

When you’re able to turn on your spa when your on your way home from out of town or at dinner. In the spa, go to get nakey and turn lights off while still in spa so kids and neighbors aren’t getting a show.
Better yet. Wait til your kids get a little bigger and figure out how to operate. They have friends over forget to turn off heater and you find out when you get your gas bill. With phone remote you’d be able to see and shut that shit down real time.

So until you know what your missing, well you just don’t know

If I was building new I’d get every bell and whistle they offered.

I was just thinking about my program and would I spend 3k to upgrade it, and I asked myself how long does it take me to start the spa. Etc..

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
[QUOTE="boatpi, post: 3272545

Do NOT buy online as warranty is 6 months, but all Pentair and it is 5 years.[/QUOTE]

You’re misinformed. Above statement is not true. Online w authorized dealers, installed by authorized installers then it is warranty stated on box.
If it is trade grade equipment ( like starite ) purchased online THEN warranty is 60 days but very difficult to prove unless a homeowner throws themselves under the bus.
Lastly all your equipment is not covered for 5 years. I believe your builder doesn’t know that stopped 10 plus years ago. Most equipment is 1 year. 3pcs equipment gets 3 years ( pump filter heater salt system remote etc any combination equals 3 years full warranty )

boatpi

Reaction score
I had 5 years on last pool, and you are correct down to 3 years now

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
We have the Pentair Intellitouch system currently with a hand held wireless remote. I do not have the Screenlogic that will let me control everything from the phone. Looks like cost online for the screenlogic (522104) is just under 400.00. My pool guy said he would purchase/install/hook up everything for 550.00. For 150.00 extra than what I can purchase for let him have at it. Looking forward to turning on the spa from the lake or restaurant and having hot spa by the time you get home.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Now we’ve all got your pentair log in, time to start messing w your lights in shit next time you post you’re having a party, heater off :D
Now that would be funny! Why is the spa suddenly draining? Oh must be RDP!
If anyone wants to mess with the pool pump scheduling, have had it!

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Pentair ScreenLogic- absolutely love it!!

Craig Gordon

Reaction score
HERE IS YOUR ANSWER. Yes you can buy the overpriced screenlogic, and easytouch system from Pentair. But it is horribly overpriced. Basically, a full system is $3000 to $4000 installed. You could save at least $1000.00 to $1500.00 by installing it yourself. If you spend a week or two studying how to do it, you can probably manage it yourself. The problem is, anyone who installs it also overcharges for the equipment.
OR.......... You could install an entire cell phone and computer controllable wifi system yourself for..........are you ready?.........less than $200.00. The only drawback to this system is you can only control your variable speeds on your intelliflo pump manually. However, you can still turn the pump on and off , and set up a time schedule wirelessly but it will have to be at a constant speed (which you can set). However, lights, heater, auxilliary pumps, waterfalls can all be connected and controlled via wifi. Lookup all the new SONOFF devices for sale. This is the newest wifi technology on a chip! It is so inexpensive and so effective and so amazing. You would still need automatic valve actuators if you dont already have those. Most modern systems already have the valve actuators, most modern systems already have 110 volt electronic relays to control the electricity, and most modern heaters have a way to set up external control. You basically attach small inexpensive devices to your already existing relays and switches. I am using this system and it is great. Do not attempt any of this without a basic understanding of electricity.

https://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-basic

https://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-Sonof...ocphy=9031143&hvtargid=pla-366187523745&psc=1

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have the Zodiac IAqualink system, does much more that turn the spa on and off from the road.