WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Photography buffs?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I did a turn and burn to Vegas and back on Friday to pick up some of my dads things, some paintings and a big box of old pics.
Now, my reason for the thread is there are a shit ton of negatives.
Packages of them, marked with basics like where or what year. My first birthday for example.
There are also 2 packets of negatives marked “Vietnam” and one, marked Viet Nam 67-68 color.

Questions are, how or what do I do to preserve these?
A part of me wants someone to develop them to see what he saw.
Another part is a bit scared to see what he saw.
On the other hand, historic pics of the era, may be valuable to someone out there?

How many times can a negative be processed to produce pics?

I have zero knowledge here.
Advise? Tips?
A0153480-9ED7-4D37-9877-1018D99C0B8D.jpeg
865D7B4A-74CA-40A0-843F-20176D41AAA0.jpeg
4C920CD5-44D0-47B5-B37F-58AD0E43E0CF.jpeg

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Finding someone, individual or shop, to make prints from your negatives shouldn’t be too difficult. As long as the negs are in good shape, you should be able to get decent prints. I know there are online services but I’d be concerned about them damaging or losing the negatives. Would probably stay away from places like Walmart for the same reasons.

I bet you could also buy a negative viewer that connects to your computer for DIY printing If you are so inclined.

Please also consider posting a few images of the finished product so that other inmates may appreciate them.

77charger

Reaction score
Shouldn’t matter the amount of reprints from the negatives.

I know when I had photo in 8th grade all the negative was used for was to project the image to photo paper before it went into the chemicals. Today I don’t know how it’s done digitally. Prob a similar deal instead it goes to a printer instead.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I did a turn and burn to Vegas and back on Friday to pick up some of my dads things, some paintings and a big box of old pics.
Now, my reason for the thread is there are a shit ton of negatives.
Packages of them, marked with basics like where or what year. My first birthday for example.
There are also 2 packets of negatives marked “Vietnam” and one, marked Viet Nam 67-68 color.

Questions are, how or what do I do to preserve these?
A part of me wants someone to develop them to see what he saw.
Another part is a bit scared to see what he saw.
On the other hand, historic pics of the era, may be valuable to someone out there?

How many times can a negative be processed to produce pics?

I have zero knowledge here.
Advise? Tips?
View attachment 1243652 View attachment 1243653 View attachment 1243654
Like was said before, find a pro photographer to develop these. I want to see them!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I believe that my mother bought a scanner that she used for my grandparent’s negatives to put into digital. 👍

Jim

Reaction score
Amazing. Find a good photo lab. They process & repair the developments. please post them !
Local VFW hall would very likely be interested in them too.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about what you'll find. They will likely be pics of his buddies, cool things he saw, and people he met.

Negatives can be reproduced an infinite amount of times. Once the film has been made into a negative, it no longer comes into contact with chemicals.

As for developing some pics onto photo paper, Google is your friend. I did a quick search here in BFE Montucky. I used the words "Missoula Photo Printing Camera Store" in my search, and up came "The Dark Room of Montana: Camera Store, Film Printing." It was the first item that came up in the search. I'd guess you live in an area with more places in closer proximity than the hour's drive I have to get to Missoula, but an hour is not bad for such a job, IMO. Good luck with your search; it's a really cool find. I would also enjoy seeing the images.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I use one of these, but it's an even older version. Once scanned I use photoshop to correct or restore as needed. My Dad had Korean War slides among other things.

46580015.JPG
46580022.JPG
46580024.JPG
46590010.JPG