WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Paid it forward today.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I was in the Shell gas station and Minimart at Convoy and the 52, not far from my office in San Diego. As I stepped up to the counter I noticed a fellow in a Navy working uniform.. That is that dark blue camo one. He was discussing something with the second clerk at the end of the store.

Apparently the young man had left his wallet at home and didn't have any cash to buy gas and needed to get to work, so he was talking the clerk into holding onto a motorcycle vest or something as collateral.

After he walked outside, I asked the clerk what the problem was, and he explained to me what was going on.

I fished out a $20 from the giant wad of cash I always carry. :rolleyes and gave it to the clerk, and told him to put it on the guy's pump number. I took the safety vest from the clerk and walked it out to the gas pump. I gave the vest back to him and let him know he had a few more gallons coming.

He asked if he could pay me back. I told him he already had. :thumbup:

Once in a while a situation presents itself where you can do a good thing for someone. Often you're too busy, or not in a position to help out. Sometimes its a lady at the cash register who is a couple bucks short, or a stalled car to push off the road, someone with their hatch up on the lake....

This one was easy.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Good for you buddy!! Great job. You did the right thing.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
That's what it's all about! Very Cool!

jesco

Reaction score
Very cool of you. I always try and do the same thing for our servicemen and women when I see them out and about. Once I was at an In-n-Out drive thousand I saw a truck behind me with 2 guys in their fatigues and a Marine Corp sticker on the windshield. I told the kid at the window to add their bill to mine. Kids says "You sure sir, they ordered a lot?" I said "Yeah no problem, just charge it to the same card". They must have been buying for the entire squad, their bill was like $70.00, hahahaha. When I drove off I looked back to see the In-n-Out kid hanging out the window pointing at me and them flashing their lights and waving saying thank you. I just waved back and went on my way.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Nice thing to do. Im just surprised you had $20 on you:rolleyes

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
and the whole time Mindi was doing this the little voice inside is saying
"dude, maybe I'll get a naughty PM from Her454 for this" ;)

:thumbup:

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Nice job Mandy! Haven't you always been attracted to men in uniforms?

I had a guy (not a member of the armed services) pull the ol' "I forgot my wallet" trick on me. I gave him something like $10. I watched him walk in to the gas station store as I was pumping gas. About the time I was finishing he returned, lifted the handle off the pump and acted like he was putting it in his car. As I drove past he waived. I watched in my mirror as he put the handle back on the pump (never actually pumping gas), get in his van and leave.

cole_skier

Reaction score
That was a wonderful thing to do. We should all be that aware and be willing to step up and help those that do so much for us.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Good job Richard.

I work near LA Air Force Base, and pickup the tab here and there when I see guys at lunch.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Nice work for stepping up when you had the chance and covering for this kid for the rest of us...... I know thats not why you did it but, thank you.
rb

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Very cool of you. I always try and do the same thing for our servicemen and women when I see them out and about. Once I was at an In-n-Out drive thousand I saw a truck behind me with 2 guys in their fatigues and a Marine Corp sticker on the windshield. I told the kid at the window to add their bill to mine. Kids says "You sure sir, they ordered a lot?" I said "Yeah no problem, just charge it to the same card". They must have been buying for the entire squad, their bill was like $70.00, hahahaha. When I drove off I looked back to see the In-n-Out kid hanging out the window pointing at me and them flashing their lights and waving saying thank you. I just waved back and went on my way.

whenever I head out toward palm springs area for a delivery I always stop at the burger king in cabazon on the way back (somethin about parking under a dinosaur is cool :D). I am usually there at the same time the marine convoy rolls thru and stops for lunch. I always lay a $100 bill on the counter as they walk toward the store and tell the clerk the soldiers lunches are on me. I go in there a few times a month and its a 50/50 chance the marines show up. The manager recognized me from coming in all the time and says I way over pay. I told her I don't care, just make sure they are full when they leave.

When I see one dressed at a restaurant I always pick up the tab. I had one marine private (I think) run out after me to thank me. That was kinda awkward. I didn't really want him to know. The waitress was spose to keep it hush hush. I just can't think of a better way to pay my respect to the active duty service men & women.:thumbsup

LakeTrash

Reaction score
Every time my best buddy buys another DCB I end up flying out to San Diego with him to inspect progress etc. Anyway three times we were in the airport with a graduating class from the Marine recruit depot and their families. I did my recruit training at Paris Island and I remember how my family scrimped and saved to make the trip to my graduation. I feel lucky to be at a point in my live that I can afford to pay it back and I love the look on their faces when the server tells them the tab is paid.

LT