I'm Blessed
Reaction score
One of my clients just emailed this to me this morning :eek: :smackbum:

osha.jpg

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I can't read that shit. Get someone who knows how to work the scanner damn it. :moon::D

Does that says $12000 fine for an employee using gloves while using a drill press? :eek: Damn.

A bobo-related infraction doesn't sound too bad right about now. ;)

JMC

Reaction score
Wonder where the OSHA fine money goes..... 12K for wearing gloves. Someone needs a good throat punch

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I didn't know a drill press can just get up and walk awy from it's location :D

batterup

Reaction score
It looks like the inspection was done because they didn't report a workplace injury in a timely manner. That is very frowned upon, so when OSHA comes out they will find something to make it hurt.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Wonder where the OSHA fine money goes..... 12K for wearing gloves. Someone needs a good throat punch

Wearing gloves on a drill press is a huge deal. If the bit caught the glove ud be dealin with multiole broken fingers faster then u could scream stop. Y ur fingers or hands would be anywhere near the bit is beyond me but people do it all the time.

75 Spectra V-Drive

Gas dock greg fueler
Reaction score
A cabinet shop owner buddy of mine just got ass raped too, 24k. He was working on estimates, nobody working in the shop. complete BS:thumbsdown

batterup

Reaction score
A cabinet shop owner buddy of mine just got ass raped too, 24k. He was working on estimates, nobody working in the shop. complete BS:thumbsdown

I would bet there is a lot more to that story. I attend OSHA and loss control visits all the time with my clients and for the most part they are very fair. In this case, they didn't even have a proper IIPP in place.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I have often thought about opening an osha consulting business. To many people just don't know the ins and out's of osha and they pay for it in the long run. I have never received an osha violation on any job I have ran. I think the service would pay for its self in money saved in fines, unfortunately its hard to convince people of that before they get the fines:D

In the last 2 years I have has 70 hours of osha training alone! Boring, yet necessary!!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
OSHA SUCKS :D....

This is why i'll never hire any employees

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I have often thought about opening an osha consulting business. To many people just don't know the ins and out's of osha and they pay for it in the long run. I have never received an osha violation on any job I have ran. I think the service would pay for its self in money saved in fines, unfortunately its hard to convince people of that before they get the fines:D

In the last 2 years I have has 70 hours of osha training alone! Boring, yet necessary!!

I agree, I'd be happy to pay someone to walk through my place to tell me what we're doing wrong before I got nailed by Osha.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
back when i worked at johnson controls we had a worker tell a guy on the ground to toss him up some duct tape. the guy on the ground threw it over the guys head and he took a step backwards thru a sky light and fell like 30' into a warehouse floor.

i dont even want to know the bill for that if a glove on a drill press was $12,600.

Iman

Reaction score
Sucks, and I'm sure my day is going to come too.

batterup

Reaction score

I think that is the main issue on why people get fined. They just don't understand OSHA and their requirements. FYI - a good insurance broker should be able to provide OSHA education and loss control services at no cost. I know our clients would never deal with an OSHA visit without our consultant present or least knowing what to expect.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
I worked for a Co. that had about120 employees.
We used a lot of chemicals in large amounts. (KOH, MIBK, Acetone, IPA, Ammonium Bi-flouride...)

Had an inspector show up due to a ex-employee complaint.
Because I was the purchasing guy, I also maintained the MSDS books, proper labeling, storage...
So, I got to be the lucky one and give her the tour of the facility:eek:
We walked through, and I noticed violations left and right - small stuff, but nonetheless...

She didn't notice anything, and signed off with one or two little things for us to repair for a re-inspection in 30 days.

I think I recall that you can actually call OSHA and request an inspection and they won't violate you (unless it's REALLY serious) and they will give you 30,60,90 days to get everything in order.

DtB

Reaction score
I think I recall that you can actually call OSHA and request an inspection and they won't violate you (unless it's REALLY serious) and they will give you 30,60,90 days to get everything in order.

That's a good thing to know if it's truely the case

db71

Reaction score
What I love is that the employees are not held accountable I mean yeah you can fire them but you have to replace them and still pay the fine. I know a roofer who got fined because one guy was not wearing his harness.

It's like the guy with the gloves you can't watch everybody all the time. And at the end of the day they don't give a rats ass about the company.

batterup

Reaction score

That's a good thing to know if it's truely the case

Yes, you are correct. A company can call their local office and request a consultation visit. You can have them do a complete loss control visit or have them just review your IIPP or anything specific you need help with or have questions on. They will not notify enforcement, but if an employee reports a violation or you have an accident during that time period you can still get a visit from enforcement and receive fines.

batterup

Reaction score
What I love is that the employees are not held accountable I mean yeah you can fire them but you have to replace them and still pay the fine. I know a roofer who got fined because one guy was not wearing his harness.

It's like the guy with the gloves you can't watch everybody all the time. And at the end of the day they don't give a rats ass about the company.

True, but if you state in your job descriptions that you must wear a harness or gloves can't be worn while operating a drill press you can argue the injury was employee misconduct. That goes a long way with OSHA and reducing potential fines. It also helps to make your case with work comp carriers, so they don't hold those types of claims against you.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
True, but if you state in your job descriptions that you must wear a harness or gloves can't be worn while operating a drill press you can argue the injury was employee misconduct. That goes a long way with OSHA and reducing potential fines. It also helps to make your case with work comp carriers, so they don't hold those types of claims against you.

Documented work instructions can go a long way.
They are difficult to write, but for a med-lrg Co. they can be very valuable.
For a small Co. this type of documentation is nearly impossible...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
There are alot of useless Gov agency's we pay for. OSHA really isn't one of them. If we could eliminate all the cheap ass, stupid, lazy and non caring Business owners along with the same stupid empoyees we wouldn't really have to deal with this but that's not the case.

Anyone remember the "Lathe pics" RD posted back in 08' showing the genious who got tangled up in the lathe? well, there you have it.

My Dad was a MSHA inspector. They were a branch of osha. Some of the reports he had to write due to stupidity, laziness and just lack of caring would boggle the mind. The one that always stands out in my mind is the quarry owner who allowed his 4 year old kid to wander around the site unattended. He told my Dad The kid "GREW UP" around this stuff and knew to be carefull. Well after a citation and some very strong verbal suggestions my dad gets a call a few weeks later. They had been clearing brush from up above an area where they were digging and throwing it into a very large wood chipper. The Kid was playing up above said chipper during operation, slipped and fell in. I asked my Dad "What kind of a fine is that"? His somber reply to his own 12 year old son was simple. NO amount of a fine could teach that man a better lesson then what he just learned. 6 months later the guy sold the operation.

My Dad was a super intendant for 7-8 years at a batch plant in phoenix prior to being a safety guy. He never had a guy miss a days work due to an injury. Why? Because he cared about everyone going home to their families at the end of the day and instilled that care into every employee that wanted to keep his job.

Hate all you want. It's the Dumbshits that bring this on to us.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Well I just spoke with the client and she said that more than a year ago one of their employees was operating the drill with gloves on and infortunately he lost a finger.

What sucks is that they had signs posted saying to not wear gloves etc...and it's still the company's fault even though the employee clearly was at fault. :thumbsdown

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
How many of you have a hole in the fork on you forklift for a trailer ball ??

that is a major fine....:grumble:

if you sell batteries you better have a shower for your employee to jump in in case of a spill or explosion....:skull

guards on belt sanders, extension cords in good condition, seat belt on forklift and certified driver....:thumbsdown :eek:

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
How many of you have a hole in the fork on you forklift for a trailer ball ??

that is a major fine....:grumble:

if you sell batteries you better have a shower for your employee to jump in in case of a spill or explosion....:skull

guards on belt sanders, extension cords in good condition, seat belt on forklift and certified driver....:thumbsdown :eek:

There is not a construction site that would not be shut down if an OSHA inspector with a hard-on walked onto the jobsite...

Yet at the sametime, how many illegals are working... Oh, nevermind:rolleyes:

Oh, wait, this is gonna get political...

db71

Reaction score
I went online to some website maybe even OSHA and downloaded like a 100 page employee manual. I have every employee sign that they have read it and initial every page. They also sign separate waivers for stock picker operation, Steal toed boots, and pants. Doesn't mean it won't save me from everything but hopefully it helps. I only have 3-5 employees.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
15K ain't shit. Tell them they are lucky. OSHA can drop some big ass fines for even some small stuff.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
There is not a construction site that would not be shut down if an OSHA inspector with a hard-on walked onto the jobsite...

Yet at the sametime, how many illegals are working... Oh, nevermind:rolleyes:

Oh, wait, this is gonna get political...

They solved this in Cal. by creating the EEEC which is Contractors state license board, Cal-Osha,EDD and the INS. When they walk on your jobsite, your Fucked. The EEEC has linked all their computers together along with State fund WC, avoiding any privousy issues. EEEC is self funded :eek: by the fines they write and they write some HUGE fines. :thumbsdown

Warlock1

Reaction score
Before I got into this business (environmental health and safety) I too would have thought that it was a bunch of BS. After being in this for years I have seen many accidents and recently was part of a material handling death investigation.
To really protect yourself it is important to have a Risk Assessment and Job Hazard Analysis done to identify the hazards and then create programs to train your employees with. This not only protects your employees from harm but mitigates your exposure as business owners.
I do private consulting on the side so anyone in the Phoenix area that needs help just let me know and I can help get you covered.