WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old airplane in water at site 6

renodaytona

Reaction score
It would seem to me that there has to be a better way to accomplish this? Let’s decommission an old plane, transport it, and then rent a crane and then lower it in? I’m sure that’s an efficient use of taxpayer dollars?

I imagine whoever came up with this idea is up for some award?

They have been doing this for years all over the west. It probably comes out of the AZFG funds. They get money from Pitman Robertson and have to use it on wildlife restoration in order to keep getting the money.

Deeznutz2

Reaction score
Ugh. Sunken shit creeps me the fuck out. There's a few boats still visible in the NW area of lake. Yuck.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
All I know is it’s a very uncomfortable, somewhat panic inducing feeling, when you stick your foot through the top of one of those plastic habitats swimming at night. 🤬 I don’t swim at night anymore.😂

Taboma

Reaction score
Here's that map and you can see the location appears to be on the AZ side, directly across from modern day Havasu Landing. I also cropped it and blew up that section. Oddly, this map doesn't show Aubrey down by the Bill Williams River, probably because it had already been abandoned by 1886 ??

Liverpool Landing.jpg

AZ_Parker_315387_1911_125000_geo.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
That AP article states “There were no major artifacts, such as planes or boats,” Wilson said.
Well that's odd since there's pictures of a few that divers have taken, even a short documentary of a scuba expedition and the artifacts they found and explored. 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
That AP article states “There were no major artifacts, such as planes or boats,” Wilson said.
Well that's odd since there's pictures of a few that divers have taken, even a short documentary of a scuba expedition and the artifacts they found and explored. 🤷‍♂️
IIRC the only verified military aircraft accidents near LH are the F16C at KHII in 2021, F104 near Cherry Tree in 1969, and the B25 near Crossmen in 1945. The USAF cleaned the F104 site (only small bits left) and there were still large remnants of the B25 in the late 1960s.
The recent lake bottom scan found numerous old boats, Miller's Folly, jet skis, some cars and a whole bunch of 50 galllon drums on the north side. The original river flow on the north side was undetectable (covered in silt) but was detectable on the south side. One area of concern was that the trees in the forested area (North Side) that were poking out of the water and were topped in 1970ish are starting to release from the bottom. The report that was released only depicted the bottom contours and not any of the "finds".

I have a Garmin ClearVu sonar on my Hallett, Its somewhat interesting to see the trees on the bottom. Ive never been able to find exact GPS coordinates for Liverpool landing or Pittsburgh Flats. My only significant find, Ive found is that the depth exiting the gorge southbound, drops from 20' to 50' hence the swirling turbulent water. Must have been something running through there prior to the no wake zone.

Last edited:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
How does that help the fish? When the fish can’t make the trip that’s when it will happen.
Just think of all the prop strikes on fish that could be avoided if the mouth of the river was dredged. #fishlivesmatter

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Yes, it is a fish habitat. The plane will sit 17' below the water at it's tail and 21' at the cockpit. The article said there are lots of man-made fish habitats in the lake, but many of them have deteriorated over the years and they are actively trying to clean some of them up....and create new ones as well. Said that divers would reattach the wings once the plane settles on the bottom. They had to decontaminate everything on land before it was floated on air bags and towed to the final resting place. The bags were then deflated and down it goes.

....and yes, all of these things freak me out underwater.:eek:

Taboma

Reaction score
IIRC the only verified military aircraft accidents near LH are the F16C at KHII in 2021, F104 near Cherry Tree in 1969, and the B25 near Crossmen in 1945. The USAF cleaned the F104 site (only small bits left) and there were still large remnants of the B25 in the late 1960s.
The recent lake bottom scan found numerous old boats, Miller's Folly, jet skis, some cars and a whole bunch of 50 galllon drums on the north side. The original river flow on the north side was undetectable (covered in silt) but was detectable on the south side. One area of concern was that the trees in the forested area (North Side) that were poking out of the water and were topped in 1970ish are starting to release from the bottom. The report that was released only depicted the bottom contours and not any of the "finds".

I have a Garmin ClearVu sonar on my Hallett, Its somewhat interesting to see the trees on the bottom. Ive never been able to find exact GPS coordinates for Liverpool landing or Pittsburgh Flats. My only significant find, Ive found is that the depth exiting the gorge southbound, drops from 20' to 50' hence the swirling turbulent water. Must have been something running through there prior to the no wake zone.

What is it you're trying to find in regards to Pittsburgh Flats ? Wasn't that just referring to the terrain being level ?

That Lake Havasu dive movie I mentioned was loaned to me by my neighbor. Been over 20 years since I viewed it, I'm guessing it was probably that sunken Steam Boat they'd filmed that I saw. The airplane wreck was the one (B-29 ?) under Mead they dove and filmed.

The place that's been searched for and never found was this one.

According to News-Herald archives, a Pursuit P-40 crashed on Aug. 4, 1943, between Site Six and what is now Havasu Landing. Flames were extending back to the cockpit as it filled with smoke. The pilot, identified as Glen D. Benson in a report by the Army Air Force, escaped by parachute without injury. He wrote in his report: “After the parachute opened, I attempted to steer for land but was unable to guide the parachute. When I saw I was going to land in the Colorado River, I pulled off my shoes and unbuckled my parachute then dived out of the parachute when I was approximately 15 or 20 feet from the surface.

“After swimming about 10 minutes a motorboat from Site Six approached and picked me up.”

The plane, downed by engine failure, sank a complete wreck. It was there when Site Six ended its relationship with the U.S. Army in 1945, and is still somewhere beneath the lake surface.

There’s another mystery as well: Lake Havasu holds the wreck of a war surplus North American AT-6C single engine fighter which went down in the lake on Jan. 2, 1960, taking the lives of two duck hunters — both brothers from San Bernardino, California. It’s thought the carburetor froze up; the bodies were recovered but the plane has yet to be found.

All I ever found diving that lake has been barrels, old tires and beer cans. 😁

Reaction score
What is it you're trying to find in regards to Pittsburgh Flats ? Wasn't that just referring to the terrain being level ?

That Lake Havasu dive movie I mentioned was loaned to me by my neighbor. Been over 20 years since I viewed it, I'm guessing it was probably that sunken Steam Boat they'd filmed that I saw. The airplane wreck was the one (B-29 ?) under Mead they dove and filmed.

The place that's been searched for and never found was this one.

According to News-Herald archives, a Pursuit P-40 crashed on Aug. 4, 1943, between Site Six and what is now Havasu Landing. Flames were extending back to the cockpit as it filled with smoke. The pilot, identified as Glen D. Benson in a report by the Army Air Force, escaped by parachute without injury. He wrote in his report: “After the parachute opened, I attempted to steer for land but was unable to guide the parachute. When I saw I was going to land in the Colorado River, I pulled off my shoes and unbuckled my parachute then dived out of the parachute when I was approximately 15 or 20 feet from the surface.

“After swimming about 10 minutes a motorboat from Site Six approached and picked me up.”

The plane, downed by engine failure, sank a complete wreck. It was there when Site Six ended its relationship with the U.S. Army in 1945, and is still somewhere beneath the lake surface.

There’s another mystery as well: Lake Havasu holds the wreck of a war surplus North American AT-6C single engine fighter which went down in the lake on Jan. 2, 1960, taking the lives of two duck hunters — both brothers from San Bernardino, California. It’s thought the carburetor froze up; the bodies were recovered but the plane has yet to be found.

All I ever found diving that lake has been barrels, old tires and beer cans. 😁
I thought (could be wrong) the loading points for the mining ore was their eventual destination and Pittsburgh Flats was a loading point? Isn't there some wooden structure underwater near the original flow off the Nautical?

Riverryder

Reaction score
Just think of all the prop strikes on fish that could be avoided if the mouth of the river was dredged. #fishlivesmatter

If there was enough prop strike fish they would broooo but there isn’t… think blm fish and game would rather the sand build up enough that boats can’t go up river then anything.

Taboma

Reaction score
I thought (could be wrong) the loading points for the mining ore was their eventual destination and Pittsburgh Flats was a loading point? Isn't there some wooden structure underwater near the original flow off the Nautical?
No idea what's off there ?? I find these historical yarns about Havasu are hard to substantiate. Old Colorado River landing or port names are hard to find on most any maps. Even then the exact locations are rather sketchy.
Like the aircraft stories and town saloon, one dive shop swears they've seen them, others claim it's BS --- I've seen tires, barrels, tree stumps and beer cans 😁 --- OH and if I'm lucky, my own anchor !!!

colorado-river-ports-60s-70s-map.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I was going to help my friend and one of the dive shop employees go and get a old fighter plane early this year and tow it back to havasu. I have no idea if this is the plane we would have brought back or not. The plan at that time was to sink it somewhere off Black Meadow to make a new dive spot. Never heard what happened to that plan. I will see if this is the same plane when I get back to havasu.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yes, it is a fish habitat. The plane will sit 17' below the water at it's tail and 21' at the cockpit. The article said there are lots of man-made fish habitats in the lake, but many of them have deteriorated over the years and they are actively trying to clean some of them up....and create new ones as well. Said that divers would reattach the wings once the plane settles on the bottom. They had to decontaminate everything on land before it was floated on air bags and towed to the final resting place. The bags were then deflated and down it goes.

....and yes, all of these things freak me out underwater.:eek:
There's quite a few of the cage type habitats out there. There were 2 by the Islander and a few down by the Springs

Swain

Reaction score
The cove across from the springs has a bunch of stuff on the bottom. Only about 10' down max

Wedgy

Reaction score
Thank you for your service, Navy! No Sissy's up on the Flight Deck. My friend Frank served aboard the "Shitty Kitty," as he so affectionately called Her. I feel fortunate to have been able to tour the Kitty Hawk. All I remember are endless passageways, and the Hangar Deck is huge! Very cool to have cruised on Her. Semper Fi!

JB in so cal

Reaction score
It would be cool to get the bureau number/reg and see what the history was for the plane

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I was going to help my friend and one of the dive shop employees go and get a old fighter plane early this year and tow it back to havasu. I have no idea if this is the plane we would have brought back or not. The plan at that time was to sink it somewhere off Black Meadow to make a new dive spot. Never heard what happened to that plan. I will see if this is the same plane when I get back to havasu.
Yes that is the plane I was going to help get. They put it there for habitat and want to get rid of some old plastic habitat in that area.

mothershipper

Reaction score
I armed a shit ton of bombs on those. Really liked the EA-6B with the gold canopy.
Of all the planes to launch off the carrier those fuckers were the worst. The exhaust nozzles face downward and would blow chunks of nonskid in your face if you did not turn around fast enough. Worked on both the A6e and EA6b in VX5 in the 90's. then deployed on the Kitty Hawk twice in VFA-97 and the A6 squadron was VA 52 i think. I was a white shirt troubleshooter on the flight deck. Fun shit, all the action. I really miss that part of it but not the rest.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Of all the planes to launch off the carrier those fuckers were the worst. The exhaust nozzles face downward and would blow chunks of nonskid in your face if you did not turn around fast enough. Worked on both the A6e and EA6b in VX5 in the 90's. then deployed on the Kitty Hawk twice in VFA-97 and the A6 squadron was VA 52 i think. I was a white shirt troubleshooter on the flight deck. Fun shit, all the action. I really miss that part of it but not the rest.

It is funny what you forget. I forgot about the exhaust until you mentioned it. I usually worked cat 3. Left ear hearing isn't the greatest. lol.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Thank you for your service, Navy! No Sissy's up on the Flight Deck. My friend Frank served aboard the "Shitty Kitty," as he so affectionately called Her. I feel fortunate to have been able to tour the Kitty Hawk. All I remember are endless passageways, and the Hangar Deck is huge! Very cool to have cruised on Her. Semper Fi!

As mothershipper can attest. Doing it at night was even more fun. No white light allowed and you can't see much with colored light. My shins can still feel the pain of walking into a tie down chains.

Yes she was the shitty kitty. It is amazing all the hell you went through and only remember the good times.